Make payments with PayPal - it's fast, free and secure! registry | CVN on Facebook | tech | news | email login Make payments with PayPal - it's fast, free and secure!

Welcome to CVN - Your Panther platform headquarters!

Custom Search

Page 13 of 73 < 1 2 11 12 13 14 15 72 73 >
Topic Options
#1942974 - 12/27/09 02:47 PM Re: New big ford owner in UK - project resto/lowrider [Re: andyfanshawe]
andyfanshawe Offline
Climber

Loc: UK
Heres the frame on the drive in front of the garage

2 of us moved it with great difficulty up the garden and leaned it on our tree for the cutting and welding to start

That frame is heavy!

Heres the corner that has been plated before that will be done properly this time.

Andy.

#1943770 - 12/28/09 05:17 PM Re: New big ford owner in UK - project resto/lowrider [Re: andyfanshawe]
andyfanshawe Offline
Climber

Frame welding today.
Heres the frame corner that is just behind the front drivers side wheel.
As you can see it has been plated.

Whats the betting that it has been welded over rusty steel?
Here it is after the plate has been cut off

There you go then! I was right! The usual shop stuff doing the job wrong but in the quickest way. If I was a shop owner, would I plate over rust for a quick buck, or do it properly?

Anyway, here it is in various states as I gradually cut away the rot to good steel.
Note the corossion on the inner wall. This is no doubt due to water lying in there.

A slightly different view

Then my air saw packed up! Can't believe it. Have to get one tomorrow.

In the meantime, lets get the suspension arms ready for media blasting.

Heres the LCA ready to go

How to remove the top bushes in the upper arm when thet are as rotten as this when coolant has been spaying on it for years!

Set fire to the rubber,

knock the arm through and push out the shaft. Then press out the remains of the bush.

Andy.

#1945024 - 12/30/09 03:15 PM Re: New big ford owner in UK - project resto/lowrider [Re: andyfanshawe]
andyfanshawe Offline
Climber

Day off yesterday getting a new air saw and doing mundane things as the rain pors down.
Today wasn't as bad so I got back to work.

Finally cut out the last of the rot in the corner of the frame with my new airsaw

First repair section fabricated out of 3mm plate and clamped in place

Welded in

and a nice finishing touch-re profile the elongated hole

If the weather holds out a bit tomorrow (some chance), I will finish off this side.

All the blasting/powder coating places are not answering my calls. so all must be shut until the 4th january. Typical. Holidays to do jobs, but can't because everywhere's shut. And they all open up when I am back at work.

Andy.

#1945754 - 12/31/09 01:22 PM Re: New big ford owner in UK - project resto/lowrider [Re: andyfanshawe]
andyfanshawe Offline
Climber

Finally finished welding one side

The other side is just as bad so another few hours repeating all this!

I have set up the wagon where I want the wheels to be - roughly.
What do you think of this?

Thats what I call low!!
Andy.

#1946400 - 01/01/10 05:29 PM Re: New big ford owner in UK - project resto/lowrider [Re: andyfanshawe]
andyfanshawe Offline
Climber

Over to other side of frame today, so flipped it over (easier said then done I can tell ya!).

Looked far better than the other side, so only a bit of work then? Err........no!

Looked suspicious so off came the front section to reveal....................

So a good half hour later with a cold chisel, an air saw, a air die grinder and a big hammer and all major corrosion is gone

Finish this off tomorrow.

In the meantime its thinking out loud time...........

Most places are back at work on monday - including me - so I have to decide what to do with the frame.

Media blasting is only half the story. In fact its exactly half the story. What about the inside? The important half?
I am going to get a price for media blasting and powder coating and then another quote for chemical dipping and electrostatic coating and possibly powder coating. I'll report back on the costs.
This has got to be right, no point in building a car on a dodgy frame is there?

Andy.

#1946786 - 01/02/10 12:07 PM Re: New big ford owner in UK - project resto/lowri [Re: andyfanshawe]
GM_Guy Offline
Posting Addict

Loc: London, Ontario Canada
Nice to see somebody else thinking about the inside of the frame.

Whats your thoughts on adding a drain hole to the corners now that you have been upclose and personal?

Alex.

Attachments
rotrepair9.jpg

#1946821 - 01/02/10 01:18 PM Re: New big ford owner in UK - project resto/lowri [Re: GM_Guy]
andyfanshawe Offline
Climber

Originally Posted By: GM_Guy
Nice to see somebody else thinking about the inside of the frame.

Whats your thoughts on adding a drain hole to the corners now that you have been upclose and personal?

Alex.

Hi Alex.
Now thats a damn good idea. I'll get them drilled tomorrow when I finish welding the other side. I can also get to the other side of the hole to deburr it if I am careful with my die grinder.

Thanks for the advice. That one simple hole could make this frame last years longer. And when it gets full of chemical stripper, it has to come out somewhere.

Nice one.

Andy.

#1947336 - 01/03/10 10:57 AM Re: New big ford owner in UK - project resto/lowri [Re: andyfanshawe]
andyfanshawe Offline
Climber

Sunny but cold day today, but I must get the welding on the frame done.

Drag welder out of the garage in position and look at this for a winter sight!

Simple weld up of the corner

and its on to a weak spot on top of the frame that is rusted and thin. Directly under a body mount.

But how to get the hole back in the right place? Make up a template

then bend it back out of the way, do the repairs, fold it back and cut the hole out! Simple!

Andy.

#1947348 - 01/03/10 11:13 AM Re: New big ford owner in UK - project resto/lowri [Re: andyfanshawe]
andyfanshawe Offline
Climber

Heres a strong piece of angle iron clamped across the rails to prevent twisting while welding

Heres the finished hole

Andy.

#1947512 - 01/03/10 04:03 PM Re: New big ford owner in UK - project resto/lowri [Re: andyfanshawe]
Al Von Offline

Loc: Cleveland, Ohio
Nice work, Andy! And you have the advantage of 220V house electric to run the welder on!

#1947543 - 01/03/10 04:59 PM Re: New big ford owner in UK - project resto/lowri [Re: Al Von]
MR_CLEAN Offline
Over the Hill

Loc: REPUBLIC OF TEXAS
Very nice work! Ive done a fair bit of welding lol Thats quality work there! Cheers!

With guns, we are 'citizens.'
Without them, we are 'subjects'.
"purveyor of fine fordnography"
" I fight crime....I shoot back!"
"old soldiers never die we just fade away"

#1947555 - 01/03/10 05:16 PM Re: New big ford owner in UK - project resto/lowri [Re: Al Von]
andyfanshawe Offline
Climber

Final photo after a long but fruitful day today.

Here's a photo of an engine mount complete and the other with the rivets drilled out and the clamshell split.

Now I can clean it up properly and put some paint on.

I have also put in the acid bath the upper trailing arms for the rear axle.

Photos of that later.

Back to work tomorrow in the snow and ice, but I'm sure I can squeeze some time in tomorrow somewhere.

Andy.

#1948179 - 01/04/10 04:04 PM Re: New big ford owner in UK - project resto/lowri [Re: andyfanshawe]
andyfanshawe Offline
Climber

Contacted Surface Preparation Ltd http://www.surfaceprocessing.co.uk/index.html today for a quote on chemical cleaning/stripping of the chassis and Electrophoretically coated. Cost for all this is 1300 ($2100).

This will produce a chassis that will need a further coat of paint to finish, but will last years!

An alternative is hot dip galvanising which will probably make it last 25 years +. I'll get the cost of this next.

A lot of money though!

Andy.

#1948963 - 01/05/10 06:33 PM Re: New big ford owner in UK - project resto/lowri [Re: andyfanshawe]
simontemplers Offline

Loc: United Kingdom(England)
Could you get a late crown vic and use the chassis axles engines etc. Are they the same chassis 77-02 and you would get all mods rear disc brakes 4.6 engine etc.
I bought a 3 year old cv taxi for $1000 no rust but 300000 miles had 1600 in it in the uk after taxes paid. Sold it to film prop company. Must be plenty others about rolled cop cars etc

#1949388 - 01/06/10 09:45 AM Re: New big ford owner in UK - project resto/lowri [Re: simontemplers]
andyfanshawe Offline
Climber

Hi Simon.

I think you misunderstand.
The chassis is sound. It needs rust removal techniques inside and out. No big deal, just finding the right people and the right price. Certainly doesn't justify ripping everything out and replacing the lot!!

Andy.

Page 13 of 73 < 1 2 11 12 13 14 15 72 73 >

Who's Online
3 registered (ismann, stalag, 1 invisible), 73 Guests and 277 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box

Top Posters (30 Days)
bluejay_32 161
a_d_a_m 106
Old_Guy_Stu 102
DudeAbides 54
Moby_Vic 51
CrystalPistol 48
TheCableGuy 43
RF_Overlord 43
Ponyguy 41
Rainbowpizza 36
Member Spotlight

Copyright 2000-2015 by Crownvic.net and Steve Spaulding. All Rights Reserved.
The photographs, graphics and data contained in this Web site are the properties of the contributors, or Crownvic.net and may not be used without expressed written consent.
Crownvic.net is not affiliated with the Ford motor company.

Happily consuming the fuel saved by Prius owners!