Make payments with PayPal - it's fast, free and secure! registry | CVN on Facebook | tech | news | email login Make payments with PayPal - it's fast, free and secure!

Welcome to CVN - Your Panther platform headquarters!

Custom Search

Topic Options
#1967573 - 01/29/10 01:49 AM "civilian" and "police" transmission differences?
CV_p71_W Offline

Loc: NorthWest Indiana
I'm wondering because I'm planning on purchasing a transmission
and most of the listing for a 4R70W or grand marquis/crown victoria transmission won't fit the police model.

One thing I've heard is the tail shaft length is different.

Here's an example:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/TRANSMISS...=item1c0f29375c

Thanks.

"The word God is for me nothing more than the
expression and product of human weaknesses the
Bible a collection of honorable but still primitive legends
which are nevertheless pretty childish" - Albert Einstein

Links
#1967580 - 01/29/10 01:57 AM Re: "civilian" and "police" transmission differences? [Re: CV_p71_W]
martz0r Offline
Over the Hill

Loc: Punta Gorda, FL
Pretty sure there is no difference. Someone will chime in with a definite answer though.

'07 Durango HEMI Limited 4x4
Previously: '90 Grand Marquis LS |'97 LTC|'03 LX-Sport|'06 P71|'03 P71|
Panther Seat Cover Removal - Overhead console display fix

#1967583 - 01/29/10 02:01 AM Re: "civilian" and "police" transmission differences? [Re: CV_p71_W]
dRock96Marquis Offline

Posting Addict

Loc: Maryland
Retail model CV/GMQ use the 'short' tailshaft housing and output shaft

CVPI, Town Cars and Marauder use the 'long' tailshaft housing and output shaft

In general, a retail model transmission will work in CVPI (same or compatible model year), but you will either have to swap to the steel d/s - or swap your old extended tailshaft housing and re-use your aluminum CVPI shaft. (If you do this, you also need to plug the small vent in the middle of the CVPI d/s slip yoke or you will have a tiny ATF leak when used with the short output shaft)

What year is your car?

2vmodular has a ton of year to year transmission info here;
https://www.crownvic.net/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1295031#Post1295031

Former owner of a Grand Marquis with a few mods, Grand Marquis "LSE S/C"

#1967585 - 01/29/10 02:07 AM Re: "civilian" and "police" transmission differences? [Re: dRock96Marquis]
CV_p71_W Offline

Loc: NorthWest Indiana
It's 1999 CVPI

"The word God is for me nothing more than the
expression and product of human weaknesses the
Bible a collection of honorable but still primitive legends
which are nevertheless pretty childish" - Albert Einstein

#1967663 - 01/29/10 08:01 AM Re: "civilian" and "police" transmission differences? [Re: dRock96Marquis]
Darrin Offline
BCAutomotive
Climber

Loc: Danville, IN 46122
 Originally Posted By: dRock96Marquis
CVPI, Town Cars and Marauder use the 'long' tailshaft housing and output shaft

In general, a retail model transmission will work in CVPI (same or compatible model year), but you will either have to swap to the steel d/s - or swap your old extended tailshaft housing and re-use your aluminum CVPI shaft. (If you do this, you also need to plug the small vent in the middle of the CVPI d/s slip yoke or you will have a tiny ATF leak when used with the short output shaft)

You can use the shorter tailshaft transmissions in a car that came with a long tailshaft. As stated, use your longer housing with it though.

But. lets also make it very clear that you cannot use the longer tailshaft transmissions in a car that had the short tailshaft unless you replace the driveshaft to match. It's very bad having not enough clearance in the driveline. VERY bad.

Darrin

#1967909 - 01/29/10 03:56 PM Re: "civilian" and "police" transmission differences? [Re: Darrin]
BlaineB Offline
Over the Hill

Loc: Indiana
Interesting read. Thought there were differences with the transmissions as well until I spoke with drock.... I had known about the different output shaft and tail housing......as well as the output shaft for civilian being 8 tooth while the CVPI output shaft is 7 tooth.

So really the only differences are the flexplate and torque converter. I am already running the CVPI aluminum driveshaft with my civilian short output shaft and short tail housing and there seems to be no issues. I have been running it like that for a year as a matter of fact.

The only thing to do is thet the CVPI torque converter and flexplate to match and I think I will be very pleased with this car......running the P71 PCM and the civilian torque converter makes for some interesting shifting at times......a bit confused I suppose since it is programmed for an entirely different torque converter.

Who's Online
4 registered (TheCableGuy, LTC_Dave, ironmarinebill64, Moby_Vic), 98 Guests and 310 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box

Top Posters (30 Days)
bluejay_32 155
Old_Guy_Stu 97
a_d_a_m 94
Moby_Vic 55
DudeAbides 53
CrystalPistol 50
TheCableGuy 47
RF_Overlord 44
Rainbowpizza 39
Ponyguy 39
Member Spotlight

Copyright 2000-2015 by Crownvic.net and Steve Spaulding. All Rights Reserved.
The photographs, graphics and data contained in this Web site are the properties of the contributors, or Crownvic.net and may not be used without expressed written consent.
Crownvic.net is not affiliated with the Ford motor company.

Happily consuming the fuel saved by Prius owners!