Make payments with PayPal - it's fast, free and secure! registry | CVN on Facebook | tech | news | email login Make payments with PayPal - it's fast, free and secure!

Welcome to CVN - Your Panther platform headquarters!

Custom Search

Page 15 of 73 < 1 2 13 14 15 16 17 72 73 >
Topic Options
#1960832 - 01/20/10 04:51 PM Re: New big ford owner in UK - project resto/lowri [Re: andyfanshawe]
GM_Guy Offline
Posting Addict

Loc: London, Ontario Canada
You'll be wrapping the copper on final installation right? (Galvanic Corrosion if/when the frame coating wears away).

Alex.

#1960959 - 01/20/10 06:47 PM Re: New big ford owner in UK - project resto/lowri [Re: andyfanshawe]
lincolnmania Offline

Over the Hill

Loc: tremont pa
 Originally Posted By: andyfanshawe
Managed to locate 2 part body mounts on ebay US for $7 plus $28 shipping !

If anyone has any of these or can recognise them as being from something else, please let me know!

Andy.

that is a lower body mount........good luck finding a complete set of body mounts, i gave up and started using universal energy suspension body mounts and having custom spacers made up......so far have changed the body mounts on around 6 box panthers.
1987 volvo 760 wagon with 5.0/aod

#1963133 - 01/23/10 04:59 PM Re: New big ford owner in UK - project resto/lowri [Re: lincolnmania]
andyfanshawe Offline
Climber

Loc: UK
Okay, frame ready to go to be media blasted and powder coated.

So now the body has to be ready to accept it. All ares that are not accessible when the frame is back in must be checked.

But, the 2 sheared frame to body bolts first.
Heres an offending bolt well rusted in

Warm it up with an acetylene torch, stud remover on, turn it with every confidence of it coming out and.......................

it sheared off further up!!

So, there was no other way than to drill and retap. Job done.

The inner sills (rockers) have looked dodgy for a bit, so lets see.

Heres a view of the rear of the drivers rocker panel with a clip for the stainless trim. thats the first to go then!

Looks a bit rusty around the wheelarch area.
Heres a series of photos as I delve deeper in!

View from inside the wheelarch

View from underneath

Put my hammer through this one!

More cutting out

Heres a interesting view down the inside!

Looks bad, but.......................now this is where i was really surprised......... I blew compressed air down the sills to dry them out, and this is how it looked

The outer panel is hardly touched but the vertical inner one is rotten for about 30 cm back. I have welded many lower panels up but have never seen an outer panel survive. The rust is only surface and very minimal inside. Interesting.

Anyway the rust goes up higher so i need to cut out a bit more in the top corner and into the floor. But it is not that bad at all. Makes a change!

Andy.

#1963818 - 01/24/10 04:32 PM Re: New big ford owner in UK - project resto/lowri [Re: andyfanshawe]
andyfanshawe Offline
Climber

I took the decision today to remove the last section of the outer rocker/sill to get access to the rusty section further up. I can then weld the section back later.

Heres a close up view of the rusty inner panel at the top

This is it all cut back as far as I can without major surgery

I will media blast the top section where the rust is next, then weld in the new inner panel.

Heres a view from the back

Heres my wooden support rod!!

The inner panel is 3mm thick, so into the garage to cut some. Found some 1.6mm and some 3 mmm but no 2mm. Typical. So, progress halted until I can get some.

Andy.

#1963874 - 01/24/10 05:27 PM Re: New big ford owner in UK - project resto/lowri [Re: BigNSlow]
andyfanshawe Offline
Climber

Originally Posted By: Bluemobile
Nice job. Just out of curiosity, how heavy is the body itself? how did you lift it up off the frame? Does a regular jack work? Did you gut the interior before lifting?

Hi bluemobile.
Not sure how heavy the body is! The body was jacked up with 2 trolley jacks a bit at a time and more and more wood put under the tyres. i raised it high enough so the frame could be lowered out from underneath on the trolley jacks.

Then I lifted it up a bit higher at the back and made the stand adjustable so I could slide it down out of the way while the rocker panel welding was being done.

As stated above, the frame was then lowered out from underneath and dragged out!

Andy.

#1965339 - 01/26/10 04:06 PM Re: New big ford owner in UK - project resto/lowri [Re: andyfanshawe]
andyfanshawe Offline
Climber

Got 2mm plate now, but by the time I get home from work its dark, so don't really want to weld it until the weekend when I can actually see what I'm doing.

The van arrived to pick up the frame yesterday. He said a week to do it, but I asked if he could keep it 2 weeks!! Give me chance to get the body ready for it.

Heres a couple of photos of the inner sills/rockers undergoing surface rust removal. Only got so far. Now need the spot welds media blasting to complete it.

You can just see the seat belt mount renforcing plate in this photo that is rusting. That needs to come off, be reconstructed and welded back.

Onto media blasting the rear of the drivers side inner wheelarch and the connecting floorpan.

Only slight pinholes in 3 places. Nothing a spot of MIG weld won't solve!

Blasted really well, but creates a bit of a mess to say the least!!

Heres one old and one restored engine mount

Heres the drivers side one with the rivets drilled out and getting ready for the acid bath.

Seriously looking forward to getting the frame back in its new BRIGHT RED powder coat, and doing some welding!

Andy.

#1965399 - 01/26/10 05:03 PM Re: New big ford owner in UK - project resto/lowri [Re: andyfanshawe]
GM_Guy Offline
Posting Addict

We're looking forward to seeing it.

While you've got the rocker corner cut out, good oppertunity to spray some rust paint in there.

Alex.

#1965807 - 01/27/10 01:34 AM Re: New big ford owner in UK - project resto/lowri [Re: GM_Guy]
andyfanshawe Offline
Climber

Originally Posted By: GM_Guy
We're looking forward to seeing it.

While you've got the rocker corner cut out, good oppertunity to spray some rust paint in there.

Alex.

Hi Alex.
You are quite right. It will be drowned in dinitrol 3125 and then heated so it flows out of all the seams. I have also drilled three 1" diameter holes under the ally trim panels on top of the rockers to help get the fluid all over.

Andy.

#1966084 - 01/27/10 01:33 PM Re: New big ford owner in UK - project resto/lowri [Re: andyfanshawe]
andyfanshawe Offline
Climber

Received the 2 lower body mounts and exhaust manifold studs today, so parts are starting to come in thick and fast.

Good time to express my thought on this build while I am on a rare sit down and relax session! Kids watching tv, Wife at work and too late to work outside.

This build has been the toughest one I have ever attempted. For a variety of reasons:
Its winter and I'm working outside!
Parts are difficult to get (sometimes impossible!)
Short and adventurous build time.
Only good time is weekends in the daylight, and even then its raining or snowing and I am prevented from welding.

So all in all, its a really tough project but still enjoyable. Even though I am exhausted sometimes. Thinking forward to the time when the frame goes back and everything starts to be reassembled. Should look really good. Heres hoping it may actually work!

Thanks must go to my good lady wife who has to take over all the chores, looking after the kids, tidying up after me when I come in filthy and stinking to death, visiting my parents, helping with the kids homework, avoiding car parts stored in the house, ...................while I try to complete this build of what she calls an ugly car!! But i know it won't be when its finished . Whether she actually drives it is, at the moment, unknown!

Andy.

#1968603 - 01/30/10 03:20 PM Re: New big ford owner in UK - project resto/lowri [Re: andyfanshawe]
andyfanshawe Offline
Climber

Right, lets get this rocker panel complete.
Inner one fabbed and clamped and welded on both sides and etch primed and painted red for corrosion protection

Outer panel media blasted and stainless trim holes welded up 'cos I'm not using them anymore!

Wheelarch lip reduced in width

Welded in and thoroughly rustproofed inside

Andy.

#1968614 - 01/30/10 03:32 PM Re: New big ford owner in UK - project resto/lowri [Re: andyfanshawe]
andyfanshawe Offline
Climber

Remember this seat belt reinforcing panel?

Looks rough on the bottom?

Here it is removed

and the panels it was welded to

marked for cutting out

and cut out

New panel cut and in

Am I glad I shifted that. When the frame is in, access is impossible.

New one made up and welded tomorrow and its off to the other side. Of course, that will be nowhere near as bad as this side!!!! Ha!!!!

Andy.

#1968655 - 01/30/10 04:55 PM Re: New big ford owner in UK - project resto/lowrider [Re: andyfanshawe]
andyfanshawe Offline
Climber

Heres an idea.
Behind the rear wheels is a quarter panel that is almost straight from top to bottom! Shouldn't it follow the profile that the doors do as they go down to the rockers?

So, bend along the red line and push the bottom of the panel in towards the middle of the car.

How far can I go in without going to close to the frame?

Time will tell.
Andy.

#1968672 - 01/30/10 05:29 PM Re: New big ford owner in UK - project resto/lowrider [Re: andyfanshawe]
pantera77 Offline

Over the Hill

Loc: Buffalo, NY
Man I wish I had 1/10 of your fabrication skills! My idea of fixing rust is pop riveting some sheet metal over it.
1987 Colony Park - 03+ frame swap, blown Gen II Coyote, 6R80, absolute money pit. WIP

#1969149 - 01/31/10 09:53 AM Re: New big ford owner in UK - project resto/lowri [Re: andyfanshawe]
GM_Guy Offline
Posting Addict

Originally Posted By: andyfanshawe
Heres an idea.
Behind the rear wheels is a quarter panel that is almost straight from top to bottom! Shouldn't it follow the profile that the doors do as they go down to the rockers?

So, bend along the red line and push the bottom of the panel in towards the middle of the car.

How far can I go in without going to close to the frame?

Interesting idea. Have a good look for what undersides will potentially get exposed. As It sits right now, my exhaust pipe is hidden from view, but if the rear portion was folded in, the exhuast pipe and underbody would come into view.
Will you be match the angle on the bumper ends, since it lines up with the lower rocker.

Heres a pic I've got to give you an idea of spacing. If you need another angle let me know.

Alex.

Attachments
mgm rear underquarter.jpg

#1969340 - 01/31/10 02:23 PM Re: New big ford owner in UK - project resto/lowri [Re: BigNSlow]
andyfanshawe Offline
Climber

Originally Posted By: Bluemobile
Are you gonna do the same in the front? The header panel is made of fiberglass and won't be as easy to fabricate.

Hi Bluemobile.
Don't know about the front yet. I know the bottoms of my fenders at the front re held together with bondo!!

Andy.

Page 15 of 73 < 1 2 13 14 15 16 17 72 73 >

Who's Online
2 registered (bluejay_32, Traffic22), 61 Guests and 269 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box

Top Posters (30 Days)
bluejay_32 166
a_d_a_m 105
Old_Guy_Stu 102
DudeAbides 54
Moby_Vic 51
CrystalPistol 48
TheCableGuy 43
RF_Overlord 43
Ponyguy 41
Rainbowpizza 38
Member Spotlight

Copyright 2000-2015 by Crownvic.net and Steve Spaulding. All Rights Reserved.
The photographs, graphics and data contained in this Web site are the properties of the contributors, or Crownvic.net and may not be used without expressed written consent.
Crownvic.net is not affiliated with the Ford motor company.

Happily consuming the fuel saved by Prius owners!