Make payments with PayPal - it's fast, free and secure! registry | CVN on Facebook | tech | news | email login Make payments with PayPal - it's fast, free and secure!

Welcome to CVN - Your Panther platform headquarters!

Custom Search

Page 5 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5
Topic Options
#1965793 - 01/27/10 01:10 AM Re: motor oil [Re: turbo2256]
dmitriy Offline

Loc: kherson,ukraine
5W30 Synthetic or Synthetic Blend. not forgetting - the car in 1992 and 400 thousand kilometers

Edited by dmitriy (01/27/10 01:11 AM)

Links
#1988114 - 02/25/10 06:50 PM Re: motor oil [Re: Street_Shark]
kossi Offline
Rookie

Loc: Cd. de México
 Originally Posted By: "Landyacht"
the hotter the oil gets the more it thins out...which made me think that it could have negative results.

actually you're right, there is something negative: as a fluid film gets thinner it may tear, i don't know if i picked the right word for it, but let's say at certain temperature the film will leave you and there'll be direct fricition.
but: thinner oils are designed to operate within almost every temperature range an engine may be working in, so don't worry about using thin oil, a normal engine won't get into temperature heights where the oil film may tear. nonetheless there are graphics for operation ranges of engine oils, generally, by type. i'm too lazy to look this up, but it shouldn't be too hard to find.
you may divide oils into two types (operational point of view): mono grade and multi grade. so where's that from? mono means they are made for a small temperature range (example SAE 40), works in mostly tropical climate, no major temperature changes throughout the year. multi grade means they have a wider temperature range (example SAE 10W 40), "W" means "winter" (i may be wrong with that one). so they are sold in areas where temperature changes throughout the year, most US for example. the smaller the number gets, the thinner gets the oil, a SAE 30 is thinner than a SAE 40, and its temperature range is also lower, for example: SAE 30 from 0°C to 130°C, SAE 40 from 5°C to 140°C. Thats only an example, nothing to do with real numbers, just to explain a bit.
you also may imagine a mono grade for winter, high up north for example, they might need a SAE 10W (never seen though).

Page 5 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5

Who's Online
0 registered (), 27 Guests and 132 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Email Login
EMail Login Name
Password
 New users, sign up!
Top Posters (30 Days)
bluejay_32 204
a_d_a_m 126
Old_Guy_Stu 123
DudeAbides 95
Ponyguy 69
Davidzq 47
CrystalPistol 46
Moby_Vic 43
ClayBelt 37
LTC_Dave 35
Member Spotlight

Copyright 2000-2015 by Crownvic.net and Steve Spaulding. All Rights Reserved.
The photographs, graphics and data contained in this Web site are the properties of the contributors, or Crownvic.net and may not be used without expressed written consent.
Crownvic.net is not affiliated with the Ford motor company.

Happily consuming the fuel saved by Prius owners!