This article can also be viewed in the Bdoy of Knowledge - MFS (Turn Signal/Wiper Switch) testing -by enslow -d***For 2002 and older vehicles only -d
At least one of you on this forum have replaced the Multi-Function Switch on your Panther assuming that was the problem, only to find that it wasn't. Here is an article that will help you decide whether to go out and buy a new MFS, clean your existing switch, or take another look at your wiper motor instead.
Symptoms: erractic wiper operation, wipers swipe or park unexpectedly.Tools needed:
-3/8 or 1/4" ratchet wrench
-3/8 or 1/4" short extension
-10 mm socket
-small crescent wrench
-No. 2 Phillips head screwdriver
-small Allen Key or similar small straight probe
-20T torx driver
-medium-large blade screwdriver
-alligator clipsTesting the MFSRemove MFS
1. Disconnect the negative battery terminal.
2. Remove LH and RH trim molding.
---See 1st and 2nd images
3. Remove the 3 upper and 2 lower 10mm bolts from knee bolster cover.
---See 3rd image.
4. Position the tilt steering to the lowest position and remove the tilt lever using a small crescent wrench.
---See 4th image
5. Remove the 4 shroud screws with a No. 2 Phillips head screwdriver.
---See 5th image
Hang on, more to follow. I'm limited to 5 images....