Make payments with PayPal - it's fast, free and secure! registry | CVN on Facebook | tech | news | email login Make payments with PayPal - it's fast, free and secure!

Welcome to CVN - Your Panther platform headquarters!

Custom Search

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#211378 - 08/03/03 02:09 PM Re: Headlights - replacement bulb opinions
metroplex Offline
Metroplectic

Loc: Motor City, USA
I'm not sure about 9005s and 9006s but the 9007s are 65W high, 55W low.

85W would be overwatted.

Links
#211379 - 08/03/03 09:49 PM Re: Headlights - replacement bulb opinions
Colonel Offline

Grand Poobah

Loc: Louisville, KY

Quad-Cam Cop Engine, Bullet Proof Tires & Windows, Stab Proof Seats, Steel Door Beams, SuperCharger, Anti-Deer Harmonic Wheel Covers, Trunk Mounted Counterbalance System
..and many other things people told me my car is equipped with.

#211380 - 08/04/03 03:39 AM Re: Headlights - replacement bulb opinions
Loaded98LS Offline

Over the Hill

Loc: Mass
I called Sylvania corp direct twice on this subject. Got the missing specs. The silverstars have standard output, but they have boosted output (reformulated gases & modified filiment) to give the needed additional output to compensate for the slight filtering of the bulb coating, while still using the standard wattage to do it. I talked at great length with a tech, saying that I was deciding what to do for a fleet of 50 cars. This I think got me the most honest responses. In short, go for the Xtravision bulbs. They are made to give off the MAXIMUM allowed output in lumens (1000 low beam, 1350 high beam). They are also redesigned to better utilize the 98+ headlamp housing I have read. BTW the bulbs you may have had (I had philips) might have had the same output, just a slightly different directional pattern. The output of the high beam is not boosted BTW for the Xtravision.

The claimed (and not rated online) output for the SilverStar is the same as the Xtravision. The two BIG differences are the following;

1. The silverstar's have a limited light spectrum that is geared at the higher spectrum (like HID and closer to daylight). This attracts lots of 'kids' and HID imposters, but actually is not quite as good as GOOD OLD regular halogen 'yellow'. Granted it looks better driving the 'blueish' Silverstars, but they actually have slight limitations because of that. Think back to the age old color of all foglights in the PAST. They were always YELLOW, and that was for foul weather conditions. It is a better spectrum for those situations, but it is now not 'popular culture' as much. "Who gives a sh!t if I can see as well, at least I look good!" That is much of today's mentality in the retail world.

2. Second BIGGEST reason against Silverstars, they have a much shorter lifespan. They are openly admitted to have a much shorter life span compared to Xtravisions, which have a better than average lifespan. This was openly admitted to me by Sylvania, as I told them I wanted to upgrade a fleet of 37 (or whatever # I used) Crown Victorias.

Simply put, the tech said "Go with the Xtravision, for less cost, longer replacement interval, and better usefull light spectrum (in varied driving conditions. They just won't look blueish, but do you care?"

I still have my SilverStars (2 9007) in the $36.99 pack from Walmart unopened. I too have had this quandry. I want to try them for the hell of it, but picked up the other bulbs for under $10...

So there is your BEST information on this subject my friend. Perception from some here (on one versus another) will not match the actual output you would measure with a light meter (they will be very close to a tie). But it makes some very happy to have the more pleasant 'color' while driving. Colonel, IMO, go with all new Xtravisions... Keep the old ones as spares, incase one goes out while driving. It could save you a ticket someday. I try to keep one of each major lightbulb spare in all my cars. That way, if stopped for a bulb out, I can fix it on the spot...

#211381 - 08/04/03 03:42 AM Re: Headlights - replacement bulb opinions
Loaded98LS Offline

Over the Hill

Loc: Mass
It was actually nice to be the expert on something here. My personal research paid off... I was miffed by the missing specs on each bulb, hence my calling them direct.

#211382 - 08/04/03 06:13 AM Re: Headlights - replacement bulb opinions
Colonel Offline

Grand Poobah

Whoa Loaded98!

Not only did you confirm my theory and suspicions.. (scroll to my post #331693) but you helped complete the "headlight tech article" if they'll add it

That's pretty pathetic that they charge this gawd awful amount for a bad bulb.

As you can see above, I went with the XtraVisions and am very pleased. They don't *look* brighter by comparison.. but man do they outshine my old ones. Don't even need high beams on backroads anymore!

I will probably go with the Sylvania Cool Blue for high beams later on. A member in a forum I found researching said for the 9005 they make good high beams.

Quad-Cam Cop Engine, Bullet Proof Tires & Windows, Stab Proof Seats, Steel Door Beams, SuperCharger, Anti-Deer Harmonic Wheel Covers, Trunk Mounted Counterbalance System

#211383 - 08/04/03 06:15 AM Re: Headlights - replacement bulb opinions
Petely Offline
Poobah

Loc: Chicago, IL
hey, thanks for the info. Just goes to show the fancy packaging does not necessarily mean fancy product.
New Long List of Rules Compliant Sig

#211384 - 08/04/03 07:29 AM Re: Headlights - replacement bulb opinions
Buck268 Offline

Grand Poobah

Loc: Grand Rapids, MI
I feel ripped off... oh well, I dont much use high beams in bad weather anyways, low beams always have worked better, so I'll stick Xtravision 06's in my car

#211385 - 08/04/03 07:59 AM Re: Headlights - replacement bulb opinions
metroplex Offline
Metroplectic

Nice research Erol.

I've been saying from day 1 to go with the Xtravisions in the Vic because Dan Stern recommended them. He knew the US SilverStars were crap but I just kept hearing ppl on CVN compliment the SilverSTars

Last August when I popped in the XV's, I immediately saw a big difference. Still not as good as my H4s but significantly better than stock.

I actually received emails from ppl on CVN saying that they bought "sylvanias" and they're not as good as "whatever bluish crap they bought" and I specifically said the Xtravisions in the purple packaging.

#211386 - 06/07/04 06:56 PM Re: Headlights - replacement bulb opinions
Raptor9458 Offline

Over the Hill

Loc: Chicagoland
THANK YOU!!! I've been trying to figure out what to put in my car, as my lenses are clear, but I'm unsatisfied with the light output. I often get called out in bad weather when power is out and trees are down, so I need something that will light the way.

#211387 - 06/08/04 02:20 AM Re: Headlights - replacement bulb opinions
Queen Victoria Offline
Over the Hill

Quote:

Whoa Loaded98!

Not only did you confirm my theory and suspicions.. (scroll to my post #331693) but you helped complete the "headlight tech article" if they'll add it

That's pretty pathetic that they charge this gawd awful amount for a bad bulb.

As you can see above, I went with the XtraVisions and am very pleased. They don't *look* brighter by comparison.. but man do they outshine my old ones. Don't even need high beams on backroads anymore!

I will probably go with the Sylvania Cool Blue for high beams later on. A member in a forum I found researching said for the 9005 they make good high beams.

Sylvania charges more for the color temperature; adjusting that to a higher Kelvin isn't cheap. It may not be as bright as the XtraVisions, but they are brighter than standard halogens, and the color temp is different which can make a bit of a difference in how things are seen.

XtraVisions ... brighter with standard color temp. SilverStars ... better color temp, just slightly brighter than a standard halogen, not as bright as the XtraVision.

#211388 - 06/08/04 02:51 AM Re: Headlights - replacement bulb opinions
Colonel Offline

Grand Poobah

What exactly is "better" many have said the color of the SilverStars is very bad for seeing in bad weather, rain/snow/fog.

#211389 - 06/08/04 02:43 PM Re: Headlights - replacement bulb opinions
EvilCrownVic Offline
Over the Hill

i had put Silverstars in my Jeep, and I won't be going with them again. Anytime we have precipitation, I can't see the damn road. I have to put my hazards on just to see the side of the fricking road.

#211390 - 06/08/04 06:15 PM Re: Headlights - replacement bulb opinions
PointFive Offline

Loc: Hollywood, Fl
Personally, I don't like being blinded! by some of the headlights I'm seeing! That could cause more problems than the benefit of the driver seeing better? I would think?

I'm more interested in just more whiteness than Super-brightness...

What's the best bulb recommendation for that?

South Florida

#211391 - 06/08/04 06:21 PM Re: Headlights - replacement bulb opinions
metroplex Offline
Metroplectic

Quote:

XtraVisions ... brighter with standard color temp. SilverStars ... better color temp, just slightly brighter than a standard halogen, not as bright as the XtraVision.

And silverstars don't last as long as either XVs or standard Sylvanias. Forget the blue bulbs altogether.

#211392 - 06/08/04 09:54 PM Re: Headlights - replacement bulb opinions
Robert Offline

Poobah

Loc: MA
Just throwing this out there.

I was fed up with bad lighting so I got new headlights and bulbs for my 95, 96, and 97.

The clear lenses themselves made a HUGE difference. The bulbs were as follows:

95: Sylvania cheapo’s
96: Silverstars
97: PIAA Extreme White

Personally I like the PIAA whites. Lowbeams give a nice clean light and highs are very impressive.
04 Marauder (Black naturally)

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Who's Online
2 registered (andyfanshawe, NIGHTHAWK), 77 Guests and 252 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box

Top Posters (30 Days)
bluejay_32 310
a_d_a_m 236
Rainbowpizza 186
DudeAbides 150
JeffBoudah 115
Moby_Vic 106
Old_Guy_Stu 86
Bangster 61
BigNSlow 59
2004_p71 55
Member Spotlight

Copyright 2000-2015 by Crownvic.net and Steve Spaulding. All Rights Reserved.
The photographs, graphics and data contained in this Web site are the properties of the contributors, or Crownvic.net and may not be used without expressed written consent.
Crownvic.net is not affiliated with the Ford motor company.

Happily consuming the fuel saved by Prius owners!