Make payments with PayPal - it's fast, free and secure! registry | CVN on Facebook | tech | news | email login Make payments with PayPal - it's fast, free and secure!

Welcome to CVN - Your Panther platform headquarters!

Custom Search

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#2174719 - 11/03/10 07:22 PM Mercury Cougar trunk switch write up
Drac Offline

Cpt. Smug
Over the Hill

Loc: Cali
***This write-up can also be viewed in the Body of Knowledge -Cougar trunk switch retrofit 95+ CV/GMQ - by Drac*** -d
============================================================================

first off, i know im not the first person to do this mod, but it seems to be a mod that other people may find interesting, and lead to someone else doing it. being there was no formal write up on it, i figured id make one.

the switch came out of a 1999 mercury cougar. and since the wiring is somewhat confusing, this will hopefully clear up any confusion.

a special thanks to BBereziuk for helping me figure out the wiring, so a lot of the credit goes to him.

The Switch:

physically, the switch housing is the same housing that ford uses for the 2001+ defroster, traction control, and adjustable pedals. therefore placement in an OEM location on a trim panel makes it look OEM- it just snaps in!

the only thing i had to modify for it to fit in the OEM hole from ford (on the lefthand trim piece) was to file off the little nub on the bottom of the switch, as the trim piece doesn't have a cutout for the nub in the location that it is on the trunk switch. so to the dremel i went to remove it!

Nub Removed:

Wiring:

***depending on what year the car is that you got the switch from, you may have a light tan wire and a light tan/red wire opposed to the blue wire and the blue/red wire. these tan wires are the same as the blue wires on the switch in this guide. wiring rules wont change between the 2 switches.

upon initial inspection, the switch looked pretty strait forward to wire, but i learned it was a little more tricky. the switch will come with a black wire coming out of one location and being rerouted into a new location. this is repersented in my picture my the black wires that are wound together. (you have to cut them, and i already did prior to the picture) you also have a black wire lead coming out of the same location as each wire that gets rerouted in addition. the picture will explain this.

in the photo above, the 2 black wires that are wound together are usually connected when you get the switch off the car. the other 2 black wires that are pointing up and down dont reroute into the button. they are just signial wires.

anyways. cut the wire that reroutes into the switch. now you will have a total of 4 black wires coming out of 2 locations. each location, the black wires coming out of it will be stripped and wound together.

in the picture below, the 2 sets of black wires wound together represents these wires being joined. using butt connectors is probably the best method. for both sets of black wires, wind the ends together, and put them into one end of a butt connector and crimp! the other end of the butt connector that isnt used yet will go to wires on your car.

the top set of black wires are the ground. ground these accordingly. the blue wire and the blue/red wire is the illumination signial. tapping into the orange/black wire from the defroster will give the new trunk button an illumination signal, and is probably the most convenient switch to utilize.

*** make sure you send the right wires to ground and the right wires to power. when saying "the top wires" i mean the set of wires on the upward most section of the switch when the switch is being held horizontal with the car logo on the front right side up.

the black/yellow and the other set of black wires are the power to the switch. at this point take the signal wires from your current trunk switch and run one to the black/yellow, and run the other one to the black wires.

i did not attempt to see if the switch would work when the black wire that reroutes into the switch was still in tact. the cougar must have some sort of different wiring that required this. once one set of black wires is now used as a ground, and the other set is being used for in-line power, i thought that having a link between power and ground would cause issues. therefore i cut the black wire that rerouted back into the switch. on the set of black wires that is for in-line power, you can probably get away with using just one of the 2 black wires. i haven't tested this theory yet however.

ultimate install yields a very nice finish. looks factory.

Edited by dRock96Marquis (10/30/11 03:24 PM)

2004 Crown Victoria finished in Dark Pearl Blue Metallic (DX) | Ported M122 powered DOHC conversion with all supporting mods. Dyno queen.
2010 BMW M5 V10 finished in Monaco Blue Metallic with 2-tone interior | Eisemann race exhaust | Lowered On Dinan coilovers. Daily Driver

BlueVic's DOHC Supercharged Build.
Bluevic's 1,000 RWHP Returnless Fuel System.
2009+ Window/Lock/Mirror Control Switches Retrofit.
Mercury Cougar Trunk Switch Retrofit.

Links
#2174769 - 11/03/10 08:32 PM Re: Mercury Cougar trunk switch write up [Re: Drac]
BlackVic_P71 Offline
Grand Poobah

Loc: LI, NY
Nice write-up which I can actually add to.
I have a Cougar button as well, the illumination wires are white/red(instead of blue/red). I used the illumnation wire from the traction control(one of the plugs in the back of the trim piece on a CVPI).
 Originally Posted By: drac
i did not attempt to see if the switch would work when the black wire that reroutes into the switch was still in tact. the cougar must have some sort of different wiring that required this.

I did not cut the wire at first when I put the switch in, I figured ground is ground no matter where you put it. The trunk button didn't work and when I turned the lights on, the wiring started to smoke and melt. Needless to say, the black looping wire is cut and the trunk button works fine.

1989 Ford Crown Victoria Country Squire - 347
2005 Crown Victoria LX Sport with Stainless Works full exhaust, Addco swaybars, Heinous control arms, Powerslot rotors, Hawk HPS pads
Accufab plenum for a DBW Panther
Blue LED buttons/switches how to

#2174776 - 11/03/10 08:39 PM Re: Mercury Cougar trunk switch write up [Re: BlackVic_P71]
Drac Offline

Cpt. Smug
Over the Hill

thanks blackvic or the input! was the switch still usable after what happened with the wires? or did you have to get another switch?

2004 Crown Victoria finished in Dark Pearl Blue Metallic (DX) | Ported M122 powered DOHC conversion with all supporting mods. Dyno queen.
2010 BMW M5 V10 finished in Monaco Blue Metallic with 2-tone interior | Eisemann race exhaust | Lowered On Dinan coilovers. Daily Driver

#2174845 - 11/03/10 10:17 PM Re: Mercury Cougar trunk switch write up [Re: Drac]
LSCR351 Offline

Loc: North Florida
I like the look of that Cougar switch. Does a Cougar have a power fuel door, and if so, what does the switch for that look like?
99 P71 ex-investigators car. Mods/Upgrades: 1.75"/1.00" drop, 180* stat, blackend headlights, SN95 dome light, 20% tint, lighted door switches, Smoked and striped all red taillights with 4 bulbs, power gas door release, 3 Infinity 10"s, Marauder corners lamps and rear bumper, door courtesy lights, Automatic lighting feature, Regal fog-lights, 10 series Flowmasters, painted surround honeycomb grill, windshield wiper activated headlights, G35 Coupe 18" rims, MM air-box, 80mm air-meter, 04 air-tube, Keyless entry, Hood insullation pad, fresh FU/Satin Green paint, Marauder trunk panel, 03 headrests, "Protect the Panther" FL tag.
Upcoming Mods: wire in fuel door release, non-PI Teksid short block, TFS 44cc Heads, Crane 379611 cams, Saleen series 2 supercharger, 2000 Alcoa MMX driveshaft, Explorer overhead console, add ABS.

#2174913 - 11/03/10 11:17 PM Re: Mercury Cougar trunk switch write up [Re: LSCR351]
Drac Offline

Cpt. Smug
Over the Hill

Originally Posted By: LSCR351
I like the look of that Cougar switch. Does a Cougar have a power fuel door, and if so, what does the switch for that look like?

not quite sure. next time im at the yard ill be sure to look.

#2174918 - 11/03/10 11:27 PM Re: Mercury Cougar trunk switch write up [Re: Drac]
BlackVic_P71 Offline
Grand Poobah

Originally Posted By: Drac
thanks blackvic or the input! was the switch still usable after what happened with the wires?

Just melted the insulation off the illumination + and ground wires a bit, works fine now.

2005 Crown Victoria LX Sport with Stainless Works full exhaust, Addco swaybars, Heinous control arms, Powerslot rotors, Hawk HPS pads

#2175634 - 11/05/10 12:08 AM Re: Mercury Cougar trunk switch write up [Re: BlackVic_P71]
ALPHA Offline
Over the Hill

Loc: butte, ca
hey drac didnt we grab both trunk switches, i need a defrost switch for my 05 trim

USGI Mil-Spec Disposable Tactical Retention Straps AKA ZIP TIES
FULL P71 Site Download
someone buy me stap stickers, i love those things
alpha@crownvic.net

#2175785 - 11/05/10 11:23 AM Re: Mercury Cougar trunk switch write up [Re: ALPHA]
BlackVic_P71 Offline
Grand Poobah

You guys are confusing, your sigs are nearly identical!
I have an extra '03 defrost button.

Edited by BlackVic_P71 (11/05/10 04:15 PM)

#2175956 - 11/05/10 03:59 PM Re: Mercury Cougar trunk switch write up [Re: BlackVic_P71]
GhostRider Offline

Posting Addict

Loc: (Area of) Columbus, Ohio USA
You should submit it to the BOK

1997 Ford Crown Victoria Police Interceptor (12-23-02 to 11-21-07)
2006 Ford Crown Victoria Police Interceptor (7-11-07 to 8-31-13)
2013 Ford Taurus Limited (8-31-13 to Present)

#2176015 - 11/05/10 05:24 PM Re: Mercury Cougar trunk switch write up [Re: GhostRider]
BBereziuk Offline
Mr.Hot Rod
Over the Hill

Loc: Buffalo, New York
nice write up Drac! and thanks for noting me, i hope i can take credit for being the first to think of this mod and do it!! thanks guys!!

https://www.crownvic.net/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2153233

theres my really quick thread about it the night i did it thanks again guys

Edited by BBereziuk (11/05/10 05:46 PM)
Edit Reason: add thread

#2176273 - 11/06/10 02:21 AM Re: Mercury Cougar trunk switch write up [Re: GhostRider]
Drac Offline

Cpt. Smug
Over the Hill

Originally Posted By: GhostRider
You should submit it to the BOK

how do i go about doing that?

Originally Posted By: BlackVic_P71
You guys are confusing, your sigs are nearly identical!
I have an extra '03 defrost button.

lol!

Originally Posted By: BBereziuk
nice write up Drac! and thanks for noting me, i hope i can take credit for being the first to think of this mod and do it!! thanks guys!!

https://www.crownvic.net/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2153233

theres my really quick thread about it the night i did it thanks again guys

much thanks for the wiring help. your the first one that i saw who posted a thread about doing the mod.

#2347901 - 08/06/11 06:34 PM Re: Mercury Cougar trunk switch write up [Re: Drac]
DrJesus616 Offline
Rookie

Loc: chicago
hey drac, do you have either a thread or any info on your driving lights ???

- Frankenstein's Bride - 05 ex-indiana sheriff - 145k - rusto flat black

#2389216 - 10/15/11 12:27 PM Re: Mercury Cougar trunk switch write up [Re: Drac]
ALPHA Offline
Over the Hill

BUMP...cool idea....i need dash trim to do this now

FULL P71 Site Download
alpha@crownvic.net

#2398474 - 10/31/11 01:33 AM Re: Mercury Cougar trunk switch write up [Re: Drac]
ALPHA Offline
Over the Hill

bump- for a inside of the switch and understanding it

just wanting to look to see how the switch was wired, to see if there was any reason why there was multiple wires for one pin on the terminal. i have three of these switches, so i thought i would tare one apart just to see how there done. Dallas(drac) was spot on the wiring, and this should explain why there is a wire looped from one pin to another factory for the cougar.

^^^Dallas poser pic FTW^^^

i have numbered them for ease of understanding them on this pic. i got the numbers from inside where the male part of the plug goes into the female. were the pins come out of the switch.

1.Not Used
2.Black/yellow stripe-switch closed(Trunk Opens)
3.Not Used-switch open, always closed unless depressed
4.Black(double strand) Light Ground(LED)(i see another mod coming with those led window switches)
5.Blue/RED(or)White/Red-To(resistor) then to the LED for Light.
6.Not Used
NOTHING(blank fill)
7.Switch Ground/signal to lock-to ground

hope this helps if anyone wanted to know.

still dont know what difference it would make to have the grounds looped together...phantom function?

Edited by ALPHA_OKAMI (10/31/11 06:00 AM)

FULL P71 Site Download
alpha@crownvic.net

#2473633 - 03/04/12 02:06 AM Re: Mercury Cougar trunk switch write up [Re: Drac]
N4RC Offline
King of necro-threads
Over the Hill

Loc: Madison, Wisconsin
In the final picture of the write-up, what is that other button? The one with what looks like a foot on a pedal.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Who's Online
0 registered (), 84 Guests and 18 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box

Top Posters (30 Days)
Dmblanch 33
Old_Guy_Stu 32
RF_Overlord 32
speedfreak 28
Bellwestern80 27
LordAeneas 23
PrincePolaris 21
a_d_a_m 19
GM_Guy 16
Traffic22 16
Member Spotlight

Copyright 2000-2015 by Crownvic.net and Steve Spaulding. All Rights Reserved.
The photographs, graphics and data contained in this Web site are the properties of the contributors, or Crownvic.net and may not be used without expressed written consent.
Crownvic.net is not affiliated with the Ford motor company.

Happily consuming the fuel saved by Prius owners!