Make payments with PayPal - it's fast, free and secure! registry | CVN on Facebook | tech | news | email login Make payments with PayPal - it's fast, free and secure!

Welcome to CVN - Your Panther platform headquarters!

Custom Search

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#2222482 - 01/22/11 05:27 AM Panther bucket seat cover removal - DUW!!
martz0r Offline
Over the Hill

Loc: Punta Gorda, FL
***This write-up can also be viewed in the Body of Knowledge - '92+ CV/GMQ/MM/TC Seat Cover removal - by martz0r*** -d
============================================================================

So, I was aware you could remove the seat covers on our cars but had no idea how. Seemed like a daunting task. After looking for ways to clean the seat covers, I saw SgtTaz post that he puts his in the wash. Of course being the insomniac that I am, I started this project around 2 this morning and it's now 4:30 and my covers are in the washing machine. I also took pics and figured I'd throw them together so all you with bucket seats can reap the benefits of clean seats, and found money under those seats! I found about 2 dollars worth of change since the last time I had my seats out.

Things you'll need:

-Flathead screwdriver
-13mm socket
-18mm socket

First, it will be a lot easier with the seats out of the car.

Remove the 2 front bolts, 13mm that hold the seat down. In this picture, you'll also see one of the long clips that is supposed to connect to the bottom of the seat to help stabilize the seat cover:

Remove the 2 rear seat bolts, one is 18mm one is 13mm:

This is one of the places youll need the flathead, to remove the connectors under the seat:

Why was this under my seat? wtf

Now that the seat is out, lets remove the headrests.

Those holders, just rip those babies right out.

Pictured here is a clip that belongs to the lining of the bottom seat cover which youll need to remove

This clip holds the side of the seat cushion cover. There is one of these on either side.

I found it easier to remove the cover from the seat back first, then move on to the butt cushion cover. lol. Here's the back side of the seat, on the bottom. Another clip you need to undo! There are actually two connected together, one belongs to the seat back cover and one to the bottom cover.

Unclipped. You can also see the zipper you need to unzip, theres one of these on each side of the seat.

When you remove any of the covers, take care as they are velcroed in cross sections and if you pull too hard or quickly, the velcro strip can pull off the cushion causing your seat cover to be loose.
[img]http://closeupcleaners.com/seats/12.jpg[/img]

Now to remove the bottom cushion cover, on each side of the seat on the bottom you need to undo the clips. I got a close up to show how they rest in there:
[img]http://closeupcleaners.com/seats/15.jpg[/img]

You need to remove this bolt that connects the seat frame together, it is a 14mm and without doing this you won't be able to get the cover off.
[img]http://closeupcleaners.com/seats/16.jpg[/img]

Removed the seat back cushion just to check out how it worked... You can see the huge anti-stab plate:
[img]http://closeupcleaners.com/seats/17.jpg[/img]

And again...
[img]http://closeupcleaners.com/seats/18.jpg[/img]

I did the headrests, too. Boy, what a B!TCH to get those covers off! You have to disconnect the clip, then I had to wrestle the headrest to pull the corners of the cover over the cushion because the hole in the cover was barely large enough.
[img]http://closeupcleaners.com/seats/19.jpg[/img]

If you want yellow seats, you can stop here. laugh
[img]http://closeupcleaners.com/seats/20.jpg[/img]

Youre done! Throw the covers in the washing machine, as of finishing this I am washing them a second time just to be on the safe side. Let them air dry as you dont want to put the covers in the dryer with the plastic connectors.

I'll update with before/after pics of the covers if there is any real difference. Mine were pretty damn dirty and after the first time through the washing machine, there was a film of dirt on the inside of the washer. This time, I am doing it with warm water, and sprayed the stains directly with Shout. Let me know what ya think!

Edited by dRock96Marquis (10/30/11 03:22 PM)

'07 Durango HEMI Limited 4x4
Previously: '90 Grand Marquis LS |'97 LTC|'03 LX-Sport|'06 P71|'03 P71|
Panther Seat Cover Removal - Overhead console display fix

Links
#2222483 - 01/22/11 05:31 AM Re: Panther bucket seat cover removal - DUW!! [Re: martz0r]
Nomad8326 Offline

A suspicious mind is a healthy mind.
Poobah

Loc: Ohio
I'd replace the foam while you have it apart.

#2222486 - 01/22/11 05:46 AM Re: Panther bucket seat cover removal - DUW!! [Re: Nomad8326]
martz0r Offline
Over the Hill

Yeah... already thought about that. Unfortunately, the dealership will be closed since its the weekend and I had no plans of doing this until I started at 2:30.

#2222497 - 01/22/11 07:24 AM Re: Panther bucket seat cover removal - DUW!! [Re: martz0r]
BigWheelinBubba Offline
Rookie

Loc: Detroit MI
Must be nice living in FL and not have your seat bolts rusted solid to the floor!
5.4 Throttle body
Otherwise stock

#2222513 - 01/22/11 08:23 AM Re: Panther bucket seat cover removal - DUW!! [Re: BigWheelinBubba]
Telshy Offline

Loc: Delaware
Excellent write-up, are you planning to do a reverse photo montage of the install and what problems might arise. Look forward to seeing the finish project and before and after photos
125,000 Miles

#2222592 - 01/22/11 11:51 AM Re: Panther bucket seat cover removal - DUW!! [Re: Telshy]
StealthBomber Offline

Loc: Newport Beach Ca.
Thanks for all the info. I've been wondering how to get the covers off since I plan on replacing mine eventually. The only thing that scares me now is how much new covers will cost.

#2222651 - 01/22/11 01:29 PM Re: Panther bucket seat cover removal - DUW!! [Re: StealthBomber]
BigMerc96 Offline

I know nothing
Posting Addict

Loc: I can see Detroit from here!
Wonder how much of this applies to the pre-'03 cars. I may be getting a parts car with power passenger seat, I'd swap my upholstery to that frame if I did. Plus I could wash my covers real good with them out. I still haven't been able to get all the "old people funk" out, and I've cleaned them with 2 types of upholstery cleaning machines.

2006 Audi A6 ~132k miles, stock.
1998 Mercury Grand Marquis LS HPP ~100k miles, slowly acquiring modifications.
1997 Town Car Cartier ~145k miles, Ported Plenum, Gutted Airbox, Contour E-fan Retrofit, Dual exhaust with Magnaflows, cats deleted, MSD Ignition, KYB Gas-A-Justs, P71 front bar, air ride reinstated, Projector retrofit, Caddy 4-note horn retrofit, Wood rim steering wheel retrofit, holistic weight reduction as the parts fall off..
1996 Mercury Grand Marquis GS 117,485mi. R.I.P. 7/14/12 frown

#2222796 - 01/22/11 06:16 PM Re: Panther bucket seat cover removal - DUW!! [Re: martz0r]
Ponyguy Offline

Grand Poobah

Loc: Oswego, IL
 Originally Posted By: martz0r

Let me know what ya think!

I think it might be a lot easier if you worked without a cigarette in your hand... the car might smell a lot nicer, too.

So, I read the rules. Now I'm even more confused.

My transportation sources:
1972 Green Schwinn Speedster;
1984 Canyon Red Mustang V-6;
2004 Gold Ash GMQ LS Ultimate Edition, (Traded away, sadly);
2018 Metallic Blue Fusion Platinum Hybrid Energie Edition.

#2222963 - 01/22/11 11:14 PM Re: Panther bucket seat cover removal - DUW!! [Re: Ponyguy]
ford05 Offline
Poobah

Loc: New Jersey
very nice write up. now just waiting for the after pics

#2222994 - 01/22/11 11:56 PM Re: Panther bucket seat cover removal - DUW!! [Re: ford05]
tackleberry Offline
Poobah

Loc: Las Vegas
you went nuts! i kinda did that myself, but instead what i chose to do was swap the cover with the padding on it. so overall, i took the easy route LOL.

#2223054 - 01/23/11 01:18 AM Re: Panther bucket seat cover removal - DUW!! [Re: tackleberry]
martz0r Offline
Over the Hill

Originally Posted By: BigWheelinBubba
Must be nice living in FL and not have your seat bolts rusted solid to the floor!

Yes... and thankfully although this wasn't a Florida car, it did come from Texas so I really had no problems with those.

Originally Posted By: Telshy
Excellent write-up, are you planning to do a reverse photo montage of the install and what problems might arise. Look forward to seeing the finish project and before and after photos

Thanks! I really didn't have time for the reverse photos, I had to work tonight so had to let the covers air-dry while I slept and then it was straight to work as soon as I got up. Pretty easy to figure out once you have it apart though.

Originally Posted By: StealthBomber
Thanks for all the info. I've been wondering how to get the covers off since I plan on replacing mine eventually. The only thing that scares me now is how much new covers will cost.

Are yours pretty worn? Stained? If they are just dirty I'd try them through the wash first if they're not in too bad of shape, then decide if you still need new ones after they are clean.

Originally Posted By: ponyguy
I think it might be a lot easier if you worked without a cigarette in your hand... the car might smell a lot nicer, too.

Thanks for your input. Didn't notice that til now. Unfortunately hanging from my mouth the smoke kept going into my eyes, so to the hand it went! And since you mention it, I vowed to stop smoking in my car after this was done. We'll see how long that lasts.

Originally Posted By: tackleberry
you went nuts! i kinda did that myself, but instead what i chose to do was swap the cover with the padding on it. so overall, i took the easy route LOL.

Haha... I know at one point it hit me. "I gotta put all this stuff back together"

Before _________________________________________________________

After _________________________________________________________

Didn't realize the difference until I looked at the before and after pictures. Not only is the seating surface a lot cleaner, the sides and the holes for the seat belts are nice and clean now. The sides of the washer were very dirty afterwards! Excuse the quality on the after pics, they were taken with my phone. The hardest part of it all was getting those headrest covers back on. I must have called it every curse word in the book!

Hopefully SgtTaz sees this and chimes in with anything he did different or I may have left out. Overall I think it was worthwhile and my car smells like fresh laundry now! FWIW, I washed them twice. First time was delicate on cold/cold second time was a hot/cold.

#2223205 - 01/23/11 11:33 AM Re: Panther bucket seat cover removal - DUW!! [Re: BigNSlow]
martz0r Offline
Over the Hill

Originally Posted By: Redmobile
 Originally Posted By: martz0r

Now that the seat is out, lets remove the headrests.

Those holders, just rip those babies right out.

If you just ripped them out chances are you destroyed the clips holding them in place. A better solution is to remove the plastic plate from the back. Then you have access to the inside of the seat so you can push the clips in and remove them safely.

Hmm, it seems that my seat covers may have already been removed before as there were no clips there. A couple of the plastic connectors holding the seat covers down were also disconnected already. Go ahead and edit the post if you can, I would but it won't let me.

#2223359 - 01/23/11 04:01 PM Re: Panther bucket seat cover removal - DUW!! [Re: martz0r]
nba1341 Offline
Climber

Loc: Upland, California
Very nice! If my seat covers werent that ugly blue color I'd actually try this

#2223395 - 01/23/11 05:04 PM Re: Panther bucket seat cover removal - DUW!! [Re: martz0r]
BlackVic_P71 Offline
Grand Poobah

Loc: LI, NY
Nice write-up. I may have to give this a try when I take my seats out in the spring.
 Originally Posted By: nba1341
Very nice! If my seat covers werent that ugly blue color I'd actually try this

You could dye them while they're off.

1989 Ford Crown Victoria Country Squire - 347
2005 Crown Victoria LX Sport with Stainless Works full exhaust, Addco swaybars, Heinous control arms, Powerslot rotors, Hawk HPS pads
Accufab plenum for a DBW Panther
Blue LED buttons/switches how to

#2225068 - 01/25/11 05:02 PM Re: Panther bucket seat cover removal - DUW!! [Re: BlackVic_P71]
snipe504 Offline
n00b

Loc: Minnesota
where do you get the dye?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Who's Online
3 registered (Denal, TheShadow, TheBestNeverRest), 66 Guests and 28 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box

Top Posters (30 Days)
Dmblanch 33
Old_Guy_Stu 32
RF_Overlord 32
speedfreak 28
Bellwestern80 27
LordAeneas 23
PrincePolaris 21
a_d_a_m 19
GM_Guy 16
Traffic22 16
Member Spotlight

Copyright 2000-2015 by Crownvic.net and Steve Spaulding. All Rights Reserved.
The photographs, graphics and data contained in this Web site are the properties of the contributors, or Crownvic.net and may not be used without expressed written consent.
Crownvic.net is not affiliated with the Ford motor company.

Happily consuming the fuel saved by Prius owners!