Make payments with PayPal - it's fast, free and secure! registry | CVN on Facebook | tech | news | email login Make payments with PayPal - it's fast, free and secure!

Welcome to CVN - Your Panther platform headquarters!

Custom Search

Topic Options
#2230385 - 02/02/11 10:26 AM how do u know if u have a bad IAC
Mercinterceptor Offline

Loc: Windsor, Ontario, Canada
Hi i posted a couple times about having bad fuel mileage, a loud humming vibration noise in drive sitting idle and c hugging and sputterin while comin to a stop, someone suggested a bad IAC how do u check and see if its defective or not. And does neone know what a COP is that is the other thing a member told me to check
Rebuilt Trac-lok 3.27 out of a 07 police interceptor,Dual exhaust flowmaster super 44s for mufflers with H pipe with Mercury Marauder exhaust tips by Megs, Marauder Airbox, cvpi zip tube, ADTR ported plenum, 70 mm throttle body, K&N Air filter, Marauder rims, duck tail Marauder spoiler

Links
#2230405 - 02/02/11 10:46 AM Re: how do u know if u have a bad IAC [Re: Mercinterceptor]
98VicP71 Offline
[email protected]
Grand Poobah

Loc: ATL
COP is coil on plug..

the IAC or idle air control valve is what sets and manages your idle. Not really anyway to test it that i know of however.

if you get the horn sound through the intake, high idle or low or now idle stalling I would say replace the IAC as they are somewhat common to going out and cheap/easy fix.

#2230415 - 02/02/11 11:05 AM Re: how do u know if u have a bad IAC [Re: 98VicP71]
Mercinterceptor Offline

thanks alot 98VicP71
Rebuilt Trac-lok 3.27 out of a 07 police interceptor,Dual exhaust flowmaster super 44s for mufflers with H pipe with Mercury Marauder exhaust tips by Megs, Marauder Airbox, cvpi zip tube, ADTR ported plenum, 70 mm throttle body, K&N Air filter, Marauder rims, duck tail Marauder spoiler

#2230443 - 02/02/11 11:47 AM Re: how do u know if u have a bad IAC [Re: Mercinterceptor]
Mazlem Offline
Climber

Loc: Central NY
Try cleaning it first. It's worked great for me (lasted a couple years before I had to clean it again.)

#2230454 - 02/02/11 12:04 PM Re: how do u know if u have a bad IAC [Re: Mercinterceptor]
FASTERNU Offline

Loc: NC
From past experience:
If the Idle Air Control is bad the engine will start but run rough, apply some throttle and it will smooth out. If the MAF
sensor is bad the engine will start but stall as soon as throttle is applied or the tranny shifted into gear. You didn't say what year you vehicle was, if it does not have spark plug
wires it has individual Coil On Plug. The COPs are located right beneath the fuel rails. Looks like an oversized bottle cap with a couple of short wires and a connector. Visit your local auto parts store, they should be able to use a scanner and pull a code to indicate what the trouble is. If it's a COP it will tell which one. From the front of the car, the 4.6 cylinders are, on
the passanger side, 1,2,3,4, on the drivers side, 5.6.7 and 8 is
closest to the firewall. To replace a COP, undo the connector,
use a socket, nut driver or screwdriver to remove the small screw holding the COP, pull the COP out, you may have to bend it a little to clear the fuel rail but dont worry, the boot only covers a spring which contact the spark plug. The COP does not clip to the plug. Installation is the reverse. Apply a liberal amount of dielectrec grease to the end of the COP and insert it into the plug hole and press down until the screw holes lines up.
Insert and GENTLY tighten the screw a litte more than finger tight. It only engages by a couple of threads. Strip it and you got problems.

#2230488 - 02/02/11 12:40 PM Re: how do u know if u have a bad IAC [Re: FASTERNU]
98VicP71 Offline
[email protected]
Grand Poobah

Loc: ATL
 Originally Posted By: FASTERNU
From past experience:
If the Idle Air Control is bad the engine will start but run rough, apply some throttle and it will smooth out. If the MAF
sensor is bad the engine will start but stall as soon as throttle is applied or the tranny shifted into gear. You didn't say what year you vehicle was, if it does not have spark plug
wires it has individual Coil On Plug. The COPs are located right beneath the fuel rails. Looks like an oversized bottle cap with a couple of short wires and a connector. Visit your local auto parts store, they should be able to use a scanner and pull a code to indicate what the trouble is. If it's a COP it will tell which one. From the front of the car, the 4.6 cylinders are, on
the passanger side, 1,2,3,4, on the drivers side, 5.6.7 and 8 is
closest to the firewall. To replace a COP, undo the connector,
use a socket, nut driver or screwdriver to remove the small screw holding the COP, pull the COP out, you may have to bend it a little to clear the fuel rail but dont worry, the boot only covers a spring which contact the spark plug. The COP does not clip to the plug. Installation is the reverse. Apply a liberal amount of dielectrec grease to the end of the COP and insert it into the plug hole and press down until the screw holes lines up.
Insert and GENTLY tighten the screw a litte more than finger tight. It only engages by a couple of threads. Strip it and you got problems.

You have your info backwards for the MAF and IAC. if the car runs rough, bad gas mileage then a dirty MAF could cause that. Dirty MAF may cause some idle issue but the idle is controlled by the IAC so most idling issue in and out of gear are caused by the IAC.

#2230522 - 02/02/11 01:13 PM Re: how do u know if u have a bad IAC [Re: 98VicP71]
SPM Offline
Over the Hill

Loc: Minnesota
When my car's IAC was bad, it would start that hum/buzz sound whenever I shifted into gear first thing in the morning, accompanied by higher than normal idle speed. It would eventually settle down after a bit of driving.

I've heard mixed results on trying to clean the IAC...I personally just replaced it and have not had a problem since. That's what I would suggest, you have all the symptoms.
2000 CVPI, 229K miles (sold)

#2230705 - 02/02/11 05:06 PM Re: how do u know if u have a bad IAC [Re: SPM]
Mercinterceptor Offline

Thanks everyone for your input thanks for enlightening me on the cops, I just got those and my spark plugs changed recently and it was doing it before hand so I'm go with switchin out the IAC for now, I'll keep everybody posted

#2230736 - 02/02/11 05:29 PM Re: how do u know if u have a bad IAC [Re: Mercinterceptor]
BigMerc96 Offline

I know nothing
Posting Addict

Loc: I can see Detroit from here!
That Sig is way too big, maximum 600x200 pixels. I'd fix it before a moderator removes it.

2006 Audi A6 ~132k miles, stock.
1998 Mercury Grand Marquis LS HPP ~100k miles, slowly acquiring modifications.
1997 Town Car Cartier ~145k miles, Ported Plenum, Gutted Airbox, Contour E-fan Retrofit, Dual exhaust with Magnaflows, cats deleted, MSD Ignition, KYB Gas-A-Justs, P71 front bar, air ride reinstated, Projector retrofit, Caddy 4-note horn retrofit, Wood rim steering wheel retrofit, holistic weight reduction as the parts fall off..
1996 Mercury Grand Marquis GS 117,485mi. R.I.P. 7/14/12 frown

Who's Online
2 registered (magic, bluejay_32), 46 Guests and 137 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Email Login
EMail Login Name
Password
 New users, sign up!
Top Posters (30 Days)
bluejay_32 204
a_d_a_m 126
Old_Guy_Stu 123
DudeAbides 95
Ponyguy 69
Davidzq 47
CrystalPistol 46
Moby_Vic 43
ClayBelt 37
Bangster 35
Member Spotlight

Copyright 2000-2015 by Crownvic.net and Steve Spaulding. All Rights Reserved.
The photographs, graphics and data contained in this Web site are the properties of the contributors, or Crownvic.net and may not be used without expressed written consent.
Crownvic.net is not affiliated with the Ford motor company.

Happily consuming the fuel saved by Prius owners!