Make payments with PayPal - it's fast, free and secure! registry | CVN on Facebook | tech | news | email login Make payments with PayPal - it's fast, free and secure!

Welcome to CVN - Your Panther platform headquarters!

Custom Search

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#2268729 - 03/30/11 10:49 AM Re: To Charge or not to Charge the A/C [Re: Kshaw]
Rootintootin Offline
Climber

Loc: North Carolina
Thanks for the advice on the evaporator and condenser coils.
97 CVPI, 142K miles, small trans fluid leak from front seal area, water leaks to inside from evaporator housing and drivers side A pillar, cold weather glitch with wiper motor, headliner covering starting to flake off, tear in drivers seat bottom. Flickering, blinking radio display, What's next?

Links
#2268946 - 03/30/11 05:03 PM Re: To Charge or not to Charge the A/C [Re: Rootintootin]
GrandMarq9807 Offline
Over the Hill

Loc: Virginia
AFAIK legalities of owning/buying R-134 varies by state, here in VA anyone can walk into their local Advance or AZ and buy whatever amount they want... I haven bought any in the last year but I did buy a couple cans in '09 for my converted '93 MGM... I converted it in '03 with all new parts excepting for the condenser and evaporator(the compressor had burned up, I dumped ashes out of it)... Didn't have any problem for the first five years but it needed a "top off" in '08 & '09... Dunno if my friend who now owns it had to add any last year or not...

http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_12-oz--Can-R-134a-Refrigerant-Advance-Auto-Parts_7010016-P_N3571B_T|GRP2004A_____

----------My Toys---------(links are up)
1969 Fairlane Cobra 428CJ 4-Speed
1972 Comet GT Restomod 306, C4
1988 Turbo Coupe 331 AOD & 3.73 .. Pressurized ½ Motor is History

*****************NEW TOY!!!*********************
1969 Base Fairlane 302, C4, 45K mi(really!)

Now with P/S & PDB
Gonna wake it up with a Blue Print headed 347

#2272031 - 04/04/11 01:34 PM Re: To Charge or not to Charge the A/C [Re: Rootintootin]
Rootintootin Offline
Climber

I'm making some progress, parts scattered all over living room floor. Have some new questions.

Manual states total system capacity for oil is 7 ozs. I got about 1 1/4 oz. out of accumulator, less than 1 oz. out of compressor. Those are both low. I drilled the holes in the accumulator, turned the shaft in the compressor. Still get the odd drop, nothing more is pouring out. Did the rest go out when I had the refrigerant evacuated this morning? The shop said they recovered 1 lb. of refrigerant.

If I'm reading the manual right, I should fill compressor with 3 ozs. of oil, accumulator with 3 1/4 oz. I'm replacing discharge line, don't like the looks of inside of condenser end. To my eye, the other lines look OK

Color is a light, clear green. Is that from leak detector dye? The new oil looks clear in the can. I don't have any dye, should I get some and put it in or will the shop put some in when I have it charged? Manual says lifespan of leak tracer dye is 500 hrs. of A/C operation, then another injection is needed. Its only 1/4 oz. Can that be added now when I'm adding oil from the can? Is that not even necessary with those electronic leak detectors?

I had to remove the manifold from the compressor to get it out from the bottom, Is there any other way?

What about the little foam blanket on the accumulator? Use or toss?
97 CVPI, 142K miles, small trans fluid leak from front seal area, water leaks to inside from evaporator housing and drivers side A pillar, cold weather glitch with wiper motor, headliner covering starting to flake off, tear in drivers seat bottom. Flickering, blinking radio display, What's next?

#2275005 - 04/09/11 09:50 AM Re: To Charge or not to Charge the A/C [Re: Rootintootin]
Rootintootin Offline
Climber

Well, this is behind me and now I can clean off my kitchen table. There wasn't anything too difficult about the whole process and except for paying $30 bucks for a shop to recover the refrigerant so I could start, I did the whole job myself. I didn't need any special permits or licenses to buy any of the equipment or supplies, at least nobody asked me for them.

I followed these steps for the charging, it took about 2 1/2 hours from start to finish, with an hour for deep vacuum.

http://www.aircondition.com/tech/questions/95/Basic-Charging-Procedures

They made the most sense and everything seemed to be in one location, so I wouldn't forget any steps. The only thing I didn't do was #9, flooding the high side. I didn't feel comfortable doing that for the first time out.

I ended with about 260 psig at 110 degrees ambient at the condenser for a low 80 degree day. Got down to about 34-35 degrees at the dash register. It took all 3 12 oz. cans which might or might not be a bit low. The under hood sticker says 38 ozs. max charge and the service manual says 34 ozs.

I used a 3 cfm single stage vacuum pump. I was surprised at how quiet it was after listening to some of those youtube videos. The deeper it got into the vacuum, the less noise it made. At the end, I couldn't hardly hear anything from behind the storm door. It started off exhausting visible water vapor for a minute or so, and after that you couldn't see any more.

R134a ended up costing $10 a can at Napa, I didn't do much price shopping. As for the legality of who can do what or who can have what, I'm not too worried about that. I'm seeing empty shelves at Wallyworld, with signs saying to ask about refrigerant at the counter, but retrofit kits are there for the taking. I don't know about Autozone, but all the other major auto parts chain stores all have the short and tall cans of SuperFridge or Plug-a-leak plus sitting right there on the shelf. It appears that plain jane R134A is different, had to ask for that. The parts guy told me they keep it in back because people were stealing the straight stuff, but he didn't ask me for my license. I thought maybe the druggies had come up with some use for it like cold and allergy medicine. But no, he said it just got to be so expensive. The price I've seen is from $10 to $15 for a 12 oz. can at the places I've looked. It does sound like a good racket to be in.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Who's Online
4 registered (Rainbowpizza, bluejay_32, 2 invisible), 81 Guests and 263 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box

Top Posters (30 Days)
bluejay_32 166
a_d_a_m 105
Old_Guy_Stu 102
DudeAbides 54
Moby_Vic 51
CrystalPistol 48
TheCableGuy 43
RF_Overlord 43
Ponyguy 41
Rainbowpizza 38
Member Spotlight

Copyright 2000-2015 by Crownvic.net and Steve Spaulding. All Rights Reserved.
The photographs, graphics and data contained in this Web site are the properties of the contributors, or Crownvic.net and may not be used without expressed written consent.
Crownvic.net is not affiliated with the Ford motor company.

Happily consuming the fuel saved by Prius owners!