Make payments with PayPal - it's fast, free and secure! registry | CVN on Facebook | tech | news | email login Make payments with PayPal - it's fast, free and secure!

Welcome to CVN - Your Panther platform headquarters!

Custom Search

Topic Options
#2365152 - 09/04/11 08:03 AM OD surging at 40 Mph
NJDiesel Offline
n00b

Loc: New Jersey
OD surging at 40 mph
I've noticed when cruising between 40-45 mph the trans cycles between high gear & OD rapidly. Under 40 over 50, no problem.I had this problem on my Dodge Cummins a few years ago and I cleaned a plug on the side of the trans and that cured it. My mechanic tells me when I get a full trans flush that should solve the problem. Others have said many CVPI's do this?

Links
#2365179 - 09/04/11 10:20 AM Re: OD surging at 40 Mph [Re: NJDiesel]
RF_Overlord Offline

Poobah

Loc: MA
Try this quick test:

When it starts happening, keep your foot steady on the gas and with your left foot tap the brake gently...just enough to make the brake lights come on. If the problem stops, then you have the infamous torque converter clutch shudder and your mechanic is correct.
Trilogy Motorsports supercharged #61
Too many mods to list / Driveway Queen

'04 Grand Marquis LS Limited Edition (Spruce Green)
Daily Driver (Thanks, Adam!)

'00 Grand Marquis GS (Silver)
Rotted frame and broken transmission crossmember
Being resurrected...slowly.

#2365215 - 09/04/11 11:40 AM Re: OD surging at 40 Mph [Re: NJDiesel]
gord_bolton Offline
Over the Hill

Loc: Saskatoon, Saskatchewan
The most common driveability issue on your MY is a flakey DPFE sensor and it will often show up while cruising at or around 40 MPH. The DPFE is the monitor of the exhaust gas recirculation system. The EGR system takes exhaust gasses and inputs them to the throttle body or air intake. Carefully metered under specific circumstances the exhaust gasses cool the combustion chamber temperature, reduce tendency for pinging and preignition and reduce emmissions.

The computer commands EGR by signalling the EGR controller to apply vacuum to the EGR valve to open the valve a specific amount for a specific period or pulse. The DPFE provides feedback to the computer to tell the computer the rate of flow of exhaust gasses.

If the DPFE is not measuring right the computer may command even more EGR when it already has enough. This can interfere with the air fuel mixture, cause misfires and contrary signals will be sent to the computer by O2 sensors.

The result will be some bucking, chugging and surging. The computer with bad feedback may also start to "hunt" for the right gear and amount of torque converter "slip" to match the TPS position, interpreted load and power available.

http://www.ehow.com/how_7970844_test-ford-dpfe.html

Who's Online
1 registered (Markeist), 42 Guests and 264 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box

Top Posters (30 Days)
CrystalPistol 362
bluejay_32 324
a_d_a_m 231
Rainbowpizza 167
DudeAbides 149
JeffBoudah 124
Moby_Vic 111
Old_Guy_Stu 77
BigNSlow 69
Bangster 62
Member Spotlight

Copyright 2000-2015 by Crownvic.net and Steve Spaulding. All Rights Reserved.
The photographs, graphics and data contained in this Web site are the properties of the contributors, or Crownvic.net and may not be used without expressed written consent.
Crownvic.net is not affiliated with the Ford motor company.

Happily consuming the fuel saved by Prius owners!