Make payments with PayPal - it's fast, free and secure! registry | CVN on Facebook | tech | news | email login Make payments with PayPal - it's fast, free and secure!

Welcome to CVN - Your Panther platform headquarters!

Custom Search

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#2373117 - 09/17/11 11:43 AM A/C compressor - New or Rebuilt - Murray or Everco
Terry B Offline

Road Warrior
Climber

Loc: Seattle, WA
Getting ready to buy the parts to start some repairs on the wife's 2000 GM. First will be replacing the A/C compressor and belt.
The prices from O'Reilly and AutoZone are the same. O'Reilly has Murray rebuilt $169 and New $209. AutoZone has the same price for Everco rebuilt and new.

Anyone have experiences with those brands? Is it worth $40 extra for new?

2000 Grand Marquis LS - 169K *RIP*
2000 Lincoln Navigator 4WD - 102K
2000 CVPI Factory CNG "Gassy" - 120K *RIP*
2010 Ford Escape Hybrid - 92K

Links
#2373413 - 09/17/11 10:58 PM Re: A/C compressor - New or Rebuilt - Murray or Everco [Re: Terry B]
The_Punisher Offline

IT'S PUNISHMENT
Poobah

Loc: Okanogan County, WA

2009 'P71' formerly of the Pullman Police Department, Pullman, Washington.
Paint Code LK.
Work in progress...

#2373443 - 09/18/11 12:38 AM Re: A/C compressor - New or Rebuilt - Murray or Everco [Re: The_Punisher]
PHoganDive Offline
Over the Hill

Loc: Mass, USA

How will this item, a high pressure air compressor, help him with his A/C compressor choice?

2006 CVPI w/120K, J-Mod, MSD COPs, BOC Tune, American Muscle Wheels, Magnaflow Stainless Catback Duals, 35% tint, UltraGuage, headlight relay harness installed w/ 80/100 watt bulbs.

1996 GMQ 116K miles, Bilstein shocks, otherwise stock (Retired 7/2011)

#2374388 - 09/19/11 08:27 PM Re: A/C compressor - New or Rebuilt - Murray or Everco [Re: Terry B]
Terry B Offline

Road Warrior
Climber

Just dropped the car off at a shop a few blocks away. They will recover the R134 for me.
When I am done with the compressor, new O rings, and orifice filter they will leak check and recharge for me. $85 all in.

#2378701 - 09/27/11 04:50 PM Re: A/C compressor - New or Rebuilt - Murray or Everco [Re: Terry B]
Terry B Offline

Road Warrior
Climber

Got everything done this weekend. Went with a Murray rebuilt unit. The compressor and belt replacement went quick. Put over half of a 7 oz bottle of pag oil in the compressor before I installed it. The oil rings and springs on the compressor hose connectors were done and I cranked it up. No more noise! I ran a can of SeaFoam thru the brake booster hose and took her for drive. I am sure the neighbors loved it, hehe.

I then tackled the valve cover gasket. Removed the battery, drained the radiator, removed the inner fender, heater hoses, A/C evaporator/blower assembly, various wires, fuel lines, etc. and finally got the valve cover off.
I spent a lot of time cleaning the valve cover and head where the gasket sits. No reason to skimp on that and have another leak down the road. With the shock stud so accessible, I put a new shock on. Glad I did it, because I ended up getting out the die grinder to cut that damn stud off. Nice to do with nothing in the way.
Reassembly went well; I changed all the rest of the A/C hose o rings and springs, including the o rings on those funky connectors near the condenser. Since I had the cooling system drained, and it was really dirty, I changed both heater hoses and both radiator hoses and thermostat.
A local shop inspected and checked the A/c for leaks and then charged the system. It took about 3 pounds.
The radiator is now filled with flush and water. I will drive it for a few days and then drain and fill again, and drive for a day.

The water/antifreeze/rust that came out was brown. Did it used to be orange or green? Looks like I need 2 gallons.

#2379260 - 09/28/11 02:22 PM Re: A/C compressor - New or Rebuilt - Murray or Everco [Re: Terry B]
martz0r Offline
Over the Hill

Loc: Punta Gorda, FL
Be sure to refill the cooling system with distilled water.

I had my compressor go bad earlier this year... Bought a $60 used low-mile compressor from a GMQ, a new orifice tube, o-rings and accumulator and had my buddy at Honda evacuate and refill the system for $40. Everything together was cheaper than a shop would want just for labor. Gotta love DIY!

'07 Durango HEMI Limited 4x4
Previously: '90 Grand Marquis LS |'97 LTC|'03 LX-Sport|'06 P71|'03 P71|
Panther Seat Cover Removal - Overhead console display fix

#2379809 - 09/29/11 12:25 PM Re: A/C compressor - New or Rebuilt - Murray or Everco [Re: martz0r]
Terry B Offline

Road Warrior
Climber

Originally Posted By: martz0r
Be sure to refill the cooling system with distilled water.

That is a good idea. I will try to put in 2 gallons tonight after I do the first drain of flush and water.
I am curious how much I will get out just draining from the radiator petcock. If I can't get 2 gallons of distilled water in, I will remove the lower radiator hose when I do the final drain before antifreeze.
2 gallons of antifreeze is what I hope to get in.

#2380407 - 09/30/11 11:06 AM Re: A/C compressor - New or Rebuilt - Murray or Everco [Re: Terry B]
Terry B Offline

Road Warrior
Climber

Drained the radiator last night, stuff coming out still looks dark and dirty. Depending on how it looks tonight when I drain again, I may flush it again.
It did not quite hold 2 gallons of distilled water. But I have now driven about a half an hour, and it will probably hold more now after it burped. smile

I also got the drivers side shock changed. I had sprayed the stud with Liquid Wrench several times over the last few days, and it came off no problem. Took out the bottom bolts with a 3/8 air ratchet, put them back in by hand.

#2380825 - 09/30/11 11:16 PM Re: A/C compressor - New or Rebuilt - Murray or Everco [Re: Terry B]
Terry B Offline

Road Warrior
Climber

Dropped the transmission pan and changed the filter. The plastic plug was in the pan, so 114K, filter has never been changed. I did a fluid change a few years ago, but is was pretty dark and burned.
Only held 4.5 quarts refilling it, so I will change it again in a few months. I knew I should have ordered the U-Haul pan!
Drained the radiator for the 3rd time, still brown coming out. I bought some more flush and distilled water. Will run it a few days and drain it again. Will it ever be clear? lol

#2381043 - 10/01/11 08:51 AM Re: A/C compressor - New or Rebuilt - Murray or Everco [Re: Terry B]
jonesmw10 Offline
Climber

Loc: Buffalo, NY
Originally Posted By: Terry B

I bought some more flush and distilled water. Will run it a few days and drain it again. Will it ever be clear? lol

My old 98 Sable, it sat for two years before I took it over. It was previously my brothers car, but he had not maintained it. I looked at the coolant, it was dark brown... Looked like oil (I'll attach the pic). I flushed it once with the prestone flush stuff... Put it in and let it run for half an hour or so. I rinsed it out and flushed the system with water about 7 or 8 times before it came out clear. Unfortunately, my heater core was still plugged. I took it to my mechanic for that one. I had to go back 7 or 8 times (he put compressed air through it) before it all cleared out.

Old nasty coolant:

#2381082 - 10/01/11 10:52 AM Re: A/C compressor - New or Rebuilt - Murray or Everco [Re: jonesmw10]
Terry B Offline

Road Warrior
Climber

Originally Posted By: jonesmw01

Old nasty coolant:

Mine was not quite that bad, but almost, lol

I drained, filled with water and flush and drove it for 3 days. I then drained, and filled with water and drove a day. Yesterday when I drained, it was still dark and dirty.
So I started over with more flush.
Seeing how bad your was, I now have hope 2 more drains will be ready for antifreeze.

#2381205 - 10/01/11 02:13 PM Re: A/C compressor - New or Rebuilt - Murray or Everco [Re: Terry B]
Terry B Offline

Road Warrior
Climber

Just finished the plugs and COP's. All of the old plugs looked the same, except for some had more rust above the collar than others.
After all the cursing at Ford engineers during the valve cover gasket replacement, the plugs were easy.
Even with fuel rails, fuel lines, various wires, there was clearance for getting out all the COP's and plugs. It was like someone actually thought about it, lol

Removed the COP, blew air in the hole, removed plug (they all broke free easily) I then hand started the new plug, after gapping, and then tightened to 15 lbs. A little dab of dialectic grease on the end of the COP, and they went right in.

The city is having a waste collection event today a few blocks down the road. Got rid of some oil, the tranny fluid and filter from yesterday, and a 5 gallon bucket full of what has been coming out of my radiator. Free and close by, can't beat that.

So my summary since last Saturday;
Replaced A/C compressor and belt.
All new 0- rings and springs on A/C hoses
New orifice tube
A/C system professionally checked and recharged
Replaced right side valve cover gasket
Replaced both radiator and both heater hoses
Replaced thermostat
Flushing cooling system still in progress
Replaced front shocks.
Replaced Transmission filter and about a third of the fluid
Replaced plugs and COP's

Left to do;
Front brake pads and rotors
Flush brake fluid, (will use the "bleed brakes until clean fluid comes out" method)
Replace power steering fluid ( will use the "suck out with turkey baster, refill, turn wheel a few times, suck out more, refill, repeat until happy with how it looks" method)
After a few days, Drain the radiator, refill with distilled water, drive a day, then drain, and hopefully, will be somewhat clear so can put in 2 gallons of antifreeze. If not, will start the flush again.

#2381926 - 10/02/11 08:19 PM A/C compressor - and various repairs, almost done [Re: Terry B]
Terry B Offline

Road Warrior
Climber

Originally Posted By: Terry B

So my summary since last Saturday;
Replaced A/C compressor and belt.
All new 0- rings and springs on A/C hoses
New orifice tube
A/C system professionally checked and recharged
Replaced right side valve cover gasket
Replaced both radiator and both heater hoses
Replaced thermostat
Flushing cooling system still in progress
Replaced front shocks.
Replaced Transmission filter and about a third of the fluid
Replaced plugs and COP's

Left to do;
Front brake pads and rotors
Flush brake fluid, (will use the "bleed brakes until clean fluid comes out" method)
Replace power steering fluid ( will use the "suck out with turkey baster, refill, turn wheel a few times, suck out more, refill, repeat until happy with how it looks" method)
After a few days, Drain the radiator, refill with distilled water, drive a day, then drain, and hopefully, will be somewhat clear so can put in 2 gallons of antifreeze. If not, will start the flush again.

Front rotors and pads are done. Those two bolts that connect the caliper bracket to the spindle kicked my butt, lol. They just laughed at my 3/8 air ratchet and my 1/2 air gun would not fit in there. Ended up with a 2 foot breaker bar and me grunting and groaning, but got them out. The rest was uneventful. Flushed thru all 4 corners about a quart of Dot 4. the fluid is way cleaner now. The brakes feel great now.

Was surprised the rotors still had keeper clips on them. That means they have never been changed?

Over the last 2 days have sucked out and replaced the power steering fluid 3 times, it is nice and red now.

Only thing left is drain the radiator in a few days. I sure hope it starts clearing up.

#2382027 - 10/02/11 11:13 PM Re: A/C compressor - and various repairs, almost done [Re: Terry B]
stevena Offline

Loc: Sonoma/Coco counties
Almost immediately after I bought my car, I replaced all of the brake rotors and reconditioned the pads. All of the "drilled and cross-drilled" rotors were rusted, chipped and warped. That caliper bracket took a while for me to get off too. I finally used a cheater bar with a ratchet to get them off.

Btw, how's the a/c compressor doing?

2000 BMW 740iL 127k

2002 CVPI (RIP)
2001 CVPI (RIP)

Want back-up sensors on your Vic??
Click Here!

#2382250 - 10/03/11 11:23 AM Re: A/C compressor - and various repairs, almost done [Re: stevena]
Terry B Offline

Road Warrior
Climber

Originally Posted By: stevena

Btw, how's the a/c compressor doing?

So far so good. was about 78 on Thursday coming home from work. I cranked it down to 65 to see how it would do.
Blew very cold, had to turn it back up after a few minutes.

Car is very quiet and smooth. Brakes are firm.
I will fill it up tonight and check gas mileage, hoping to see a bit better than the 17.5 I have been getting in bumper to bumper, stop and go commute traffic. I have been getting 20 in normal driving.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Who's Online
0 registered (), 125 Guests and 9 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box

Top Posters (30 Days)
Dmblanch 33
Old_Guy_Stu 32
RF_Overlord 31
speedfreak 27
Bellwestern80 25
LordAeneas 23
PrincePolaris 20
a_d_a_m 17
Traffic22 16
GM_Guy 16
Member Spotlight

Copyright 2000-2015 by Crownvic.net and Steve Spaulding. All Rights Reserved.
The photographs, graphics and data contained in this Web site are the properties of the contributors, or Crownvic.net and may not be used without expressed written consent.
Crownvic.net is not affiliated with the Ford motor company.

Happily consuming the fuel saved by Prius owners!