Make payments with PayPal - it's fast, free and secure! registry | CVN on Facebook | tech | news | email login Make payments with PayPal - it's fast, free and secure!

Welcome to CVN - Your Panther platform headquarters!

Custom Search

Topic Options
#2382585 - 10/03/11 10:05 PM Oil pan dented
Baw84 Offline

Loc: Gilberts, il
Ok so have had this knocking noise in my car and have asked two ligit mechanics and one retired works out of his garage mechanic and got different answers from all of them, One said ingnition related , one said timging chains, and one said the oil i was using was too thin..... changed the oil to 1030 no difference, dont think in any way it could be ignition related, i crawled under my car today and while down there noticed that my oil pan has a dent in the very bottom of it maybe dented about a half inch up, at some point someone hit something, any chance this could cause a noise? though i doubt it... and what else could cause a knock noise from under the car from oil pan area i am kinda doubting its timing chain guides as the noise is not coming from the front of the engine its from under toward the back of the engine???

Links
#2382588 - 10/03/11 10:12 PM Re: Oil pan dented [Re: Baw84]
Black_Sunshine Offline
Poobah

Loc: AZ
You've got one problem. You only need one thread.

I doubt the oil pan is your problem. Especially if you didn't just dent it the other day when your problem started. I think that the crank would just bash the pan back down and it wouldn't make a lot of noise.

75mm DBW TB

Click to reveal...

2005 Grand Marquis GS Two Tone Edition

Vibrant White over Arizona Beige

The GS Two Tone Package includes:
� hood ornament
� c-pillar emblems
� LS style body side moldings
� body color mirror caps (the b-pillars are body color too, but I don't know if that is package specific)
� two tone interior (mine is leather and includes embossed logos on the seats)
� front door sill plates that say �Grand Marquis�

CarDomain

Facebook

#2382592 - 10/03/11 10:19 PM Re: Oil pan dented [Re: Black_Sunshine]
Baw84 Offline

Loc: Gilberts, il
ok ya i know i know shoulda just posted to the other thread...thats a duh on my part nono

disregard this post everyone

#2383060 - 10/04/11 05:10 PM Re: Oil pan dented [Re: Baw84]
PHoganDive Offline
Over the Hill

Loc: Mass, USA
The oil pickup tube for the oil pump goes right to the bottom the the oil pan. If the bottom of the pan is dented up very much, it could be blocking the oil inlet, and starving the motor of oil. This would result in low oil pressure, which in turn can cause excess wear on parts, especially lower end bearings, which if loose generally make a knock.

2006 CVPI w/120K, J-Mod, MSD COPs, BOC Tune, American Muscle Wheels, Magnaflow Stainless Catback Duals, 35% tint, UltraGuage, headlight relay harness installed w/ 80/100 watt bulbs.

1996 GMQ 116K miles, Bilstein shocks, otherwise stock (Retired 7/2011)

#2383180 - 10/04/11 09:18 PM Re: Oil pan dented [Re: Baw84]
m_j Offline

Loc: BC Canada
that and the crank never gets close to the pan in a full skirt style motor like the 4.6
chances are the pan got dented by a misplaced floor jack (go ahead and ask me how I know) as the crossmember will protect the pan from ever contacting anything
my cars crossmember has large gouges and the body mount bolts are bent back from the abuse of the previous owners, but the pan was fine till I customized it with my floorjack
tuned using Delta Force by http://www.dirtydirtyracing.com/ through email smile great customer service
aeromotive 11142 fuel pump

#2383182 - 10/04/11 09:22 PM Re: Oil pan dented [Re: Baw84]
GSDNH Offline
Banned
Over the Hill

Loc: MA
Originally Posted By: Baw84
crawled under my car today and while down there noticed that my oil pan has a dent in the very bottom of it maybe dented about a half inch up, at some point someone hit something, any chance this could cause a noise?

Totally depends on where exactly the dent is.

#2383183 - 10/04/11 09:23 PM Re: Oil pan dented [Re: m_j]
GSDNH Offline
Banned
Over the Hill

Loc: MA
Originally Posted By: m_j
that and the crank never gets close to the pan in a full skirt style motor like the 4.6

Maybe where the sump is but it is very close in the front....

Who's Online
6 registered (Rainbowpizza, bluejay_32, Rootintootin, ismann, Davidzq, 1 invisible), 74 Guests and 286 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box

Top Posters (30 Days)
bluejay_32 161
a_d_a_m 106
Old_Guy_Stu 102
DudeAbides 54
Moby_Vic 51
CrystalPistol 48
TheCableGuy 43
RF_Overlord 43
Ponyguy 41
Rainbowpizza 36
Member Spotlight

Copyright 2000-2015 by Crownvic.net and Steve Spaulding. All Rights Reserved.
The photographs, graphics and data contained in this Web site are the properties of the contributors, or Crownvic.net and may not be used without expressed written consent.
Crownvic.net is not affiliated with the Ford motor company.

Happily consuming the fuel saved by Prius owners!