Make payments with PayPal - it's fast, free and secure! registry | CVN on Facebook | tech | news | email login Make payments with PayPal - it's fast, free and secure!

Welcome to CVN - Your Panther platform headquarters!

Custom Search

Topic Options
#2397477 - 10/29/11 11:54 AM Coolant / oil in my spark plug cylinders....
M635dude Offline
Stranger

Loc: Pittsburgh, PA
Hey guys,

So I've been having some problems lately with my '97 P71 D.A.R.E. car. Started to get the car ready for winter here last week. Replaced the starter, new battery, oil change, fuel filter, and a cat back exhaust system. For the first day the car was running fine, but then on the second night all of a sudden it started missing when I would give it past 1/4 throttle. I thought well since it's been sitting for 5 months maybe there was some dirt settled in the fuel system, water, ect. Gave it a full fuel treatment and continued to drive it. This seemed to have absolutely no affect on the issue. Then cleaned the maf and throttle body, with still no results.

So yesterday I decided I would pull the plugs and try cleaning them up as well as the wires. I go and pull out the spark plug wire tube only to hear it full of a liquid. I put my socket down to the spark plug and sure enough the spark plug cylinder is full of about 3-4 inches of coolant and burnt smelling oil. Is this a head gasket?

After just putting almost $1k into this thing, and then finding out the sills are starting to rot really badly, and now it looks like my headgasket is going, it's been a tough week. Any advice would be greatly appreciated gentlemen. I know there are some extremely knowledgeable people on this forum when it comes to these cars.

Cliffs:

* Car misses real bad when throttle applied.
* P0171 - p0174 codes present
* Car is fine when cold, gets progressively worse the warmer it gets.
* Fuel system cleaned out, new filter.
* Coolant / Oil in spark plug chambers
* Maf / throttle body cleaned

Again I would appreciate any input guys, I'm going to be tearing into it today after work to see if I can see where this coolant is coming from. And what would a thread be without pics smile Thanks - Adam West

My dads baby

Links
#2397493 - 10/29/11 12:19 PM Re: Coolant / oil in my spark plug cylinders.... [Re: M635dude]
Chrono Offline

Loc: U.S.
I would be heavily scrutinizing the intake to see if there isn't a crack near the thermostat housing or a crack near the brass nipple on the back that the heater hose connects to. These are the two common failure points on the plastic intakes and when they start to leak they'll fill up a spark plug tube and short out the ignition coils in the process.

As for the oil getting into the spark plug tube, I'd examine the valve cover gaskets and see if it looks like oil has been seeping from around the gasket near the spark plug tubes. When I had to change out the intake on my '99 I ended up having to change the valve cover gaskets as well since some of the plug tubes had oil in them.

Hope this helps and let us know what you find.

#2397500 - 10/29/11 12:34 PM Re: Coolant / oil in my spark plug cylinders.... [Re: M635dude]
D-Fenz Offline

Poobah

Loc: Free America (WV)
Yeah, coolant in the plugs is normally tell-tale for a cracked intake.

2005 CVPI-Rick James-SOLD
2000 Exploder-Charlie Murphy I-SOLD
1998 CVPI-Snow Beast-SOLD
1991 CVLX-Beast-SOLD
1987 Tempo-The Red Demon-RIP

Beef Supreme Tech News

Please put your year/make/model/mileage in your signature, it helps everyone answer your questions.

#2397762 - 10/29/11 09:51 PM Re: Coolant / oil in my spark plug cylinders.... [Re: M635dude]
M635dude Offline
Stranger

Thanks for the input guys.

Took a blow gun and 3/8's rubber hose and blowed out all of the coolant and crap that had filled the spark plugs. The car is running great now and doesn't skip a beat laugh

Cleaned up the intake and I've been looking for a leak, but can't trace it yet. Look like its coming from right above the 2nd furthest back spark plug on the passengers side. The drivers side bank is 100% dry. I will keep an eye out for where the leak is coming from, but it looks like I'm going to need a new intake. Wonder if my aftermarket warranty will cover this job?

Also the coolant crossover/ intake or w/e is the plastic version, not the aluminum one.

#2397763 - 10/29/11 09:54 PM Re: Coolant / oil in my spark plug cylinders.... [Re: M635dude]
M635dude Offline
Stranger

Just checked my warranty, and the intake manifold is covered! After this job the warranty will have paid itself off and I still have 2 years 2 months left smile

#2397788 - 10/29/11 10:43 PM Re: Coolant / oil in my spark plug cylinders.... [Re: M635dude]
Chrono Offline

Loc: U.S.
If it was #3 and #4 that had coolant in them I'd be willing to bet the coolant nipple on the back of the intake that the hose from the heater core connects to has a crack in it somewhere. That's where mine started leaking from and it filled #3 and #4 with coolant.

Good thing that the intake manifold will be covered. You could see if valve cover gaskets would be covered, too. biggrin

Who's Online
4 registered (westfalia, Traffic22, Armsareus, TheShadow), 98 Guests and 294 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box

Top Posters (30 Days)
bluejay_32 150
Old_Guy_Stu 94
a_d_a_m 86
DudeAbides 54
Moby_Vic 52
CrystalPistol 52
TheCableGuy 49
Ponyguy 45
RF_Overlord 44
Bangster 38
Member Spotlight

Copyright 2000-2015 by Crownvic.net and Steve Spaulding. All Rights Reserved.
The photographs, graphics and data contained in this Web site are the properties of the contributors, or Crownvic.net and may not be used without expressed written consent.
Crownvic.net is not affiliated with the Ford motor company.

Happily consuming the fuel saved by Prius owners!