Make payments with PayPal - it's fast, free and secure! registry | CVN on Facebook | tech | news | email login Make payments with PayPal - it's fast, free and secure!

Welcome to CVN - Your Panther platform headquarters!

Custom Search

Topic Options
#2352257 - 08/13/11 06:46 PM Key on\Engine on, lights wont turn off
Mark815 Offline
Over the Hill

Loc: 'Merica!
So tonight i realized my alternator was dying on me (Very low volts), but at the same time, my headlights\parking lights starting turning on and off every few seconds. It was very weird, and very embarrassing, however the lights will stay on like normal if I turn the switch on. The battery volts were very low when this was all happening, but for some reason I thought it was related to the battery dying. Now I just replaced the alternator with a new one, and now my lights won't turn off unless I turn the car off. Doesn't matter what position the light switch is in. What the heck is going on here? tantrum tantrum

Edited by Mark815 (08/13/11 06:47 PM)

Links
#2352272 - 08/13/11 07:29 PM Re: Key on\Engine on, lights wont turn off [Re: Mark815]
Mark815 Offline
Over the Hill

I wanted to add to this too, since I pretty much typed the first post in frustration, I've had the LCM issue with my old 03, and it doesn't act like that one did. My old car, the lights would turn off, then on when the switch was selected to on. As of right now, with the switch selected to 'Off', the lights would still come on, and would shut off. After replacing the alternator now the lights won't turn off, no matter what position the switch is in, they'll only turn off with the car off.

#2352353 - 08/13/11 09:32 PM Re: Key on\Engine on, lights wont turn off [Re: Mark815]
abyrnes81 Offline

Loc: Citrus County, Florida
I had pretty much the same exact issue a couple months ago. Ended up being both of the cables. They were full of corrosion near the battery. i put on new terminal ends, and replaced some cable, and the problem disappeared. My volt gauge is reading higher now too.

2001 P71-supercharged 5.4, ported Eaton, 6lb pulley, 3.73s, T56 Magnum, Hooker Aerochambers, 17x9 Soft 8s, 255-50-17 Nitto 555s

#2352421 - 08/13/11 11:14 PM Re: Key on\Engine on, lights wont turn off [Re: abyrnes81]
Mark815 Offline
Over the Hill

Originally Posted By: abyrnes81
I had pretty much the same exact issue a couple months ago. Ended up being both of the cables. They were full of corrosion near the battery. i put on new terminal ends, and replaced some cable, and the problem disappeared. My volt gauge is reading higher now too.

I'll check the cables, but they seem to be in decent shape. Volt meter is showing exactly where it should be after the new alternator was installed, but moving the headlight switch around still doesn't do anything, lights just stay on until I shut the car off

#2352423 - 08/13/11 11:17 PM Re: Key on\Engine on, lights wont turn off [Re: Mark815]
larryo340 Offline
Grand Poobah

Loc: Long Island
It's possible that you do have a stuck relay in the LCM which would make sense since the only way to shut the lighs is to kill the ignition...maybe give the LCM a few love taps.

MOD List for MGM
...Marquis sold frown

#2352485 - 08/14/11 01:08 AM Re: Key on\Engine on, lights wont turn off [Re: Mark815]
NCHeel Offline
Over the Hill

Loc: Charlotte NC
Something doesn't sound right here. The headlights and the ignition switch should have nothing to do with each other. The headlight relay is constant hot. Can you turn the headlights off and on with the ignition in the off position? I'm thinking a bad connection wherever the battery lead and headlights merge and a bad switch. If the HL switch goes bad the HL's can be stuck on just like when you disconnect the switch.. Due to a bad path from the battery the HL's only get juice when the car is running though.

#2352676 - 08/14/11 11:23 AM Re: Key on\Engine on, lights wont turn off [Re: NCHeel]
Mark815 Offline
Over the Hill

Originally Posted By: larryo340
It's possible that you do have a stuck relay in the LCM which would make sense since the only way to shut the lighs is to kill the ignition...maybe give the LCM a few love taps.

Is it just pure coincidence that this all started happening as my battery volts dropped? I'm terrible when it comes to electrical stuff, but could the fact that the alternator was dying,and the car was running off the battery cause something to pop? I'm probably just grasping at straws here, but are there any fuses I should check that would relate to this? It's never done it before. I was watching my voltmeter drop slowly on the entire drive home and then the lights started coming on and off.

Originally Posted By: NCHeel
Something doesn't sound right here. The headlights and the ignition switch should have nothing to do with each other. The headlight relay is constant hot.

Exactly what I thought...still scratching my head over this one

Quote:
Can you turn the headlights off and on with the ignition in the off position?

I can turn the headlights on and off with the switch, with the ignition in the off position\key out of the car. As soon as I put the key in and put it to either ACC or turn the engine on, the parking\headlights come on, no matter what position the selector is in. The Sport does have automatic lights too, if that helps at all.

Quote:
I'm thinking a bad connection wherever the battery lead and headlights merge and a bad switch. If the HL switch goes bad the HL's can be stuck on just like when you disconnect the switch.. Due to a bad path from the battery the HL's only get juice when the car is running though.

I know when I take the clusters apart, once you disconnect the switch, the lights default to on, but that's regardless if the key is in or not, so that's why I'm totally stumped on this, because everything works as it should with the key off\out.

#2352681 - 08/14/11 11:27 AM Re: Key on\Engine on, lights wont turn off [Re: Mark815]
NCHeel Offline
Over the Hill

Loc: Charlotte NC
Oh, it has the auto lights. I have never dealt with those but that is where your problem lies. That really complicates things because now you have the switch, sensor and LCM to diagnose.

#2431106 - 01/01/12 02:31 AM Re: Key on\Engine on, lights wont turn off [Re: Mark815]
ricksnipe Offline
Stranger

Loc: MD, Prince Georges
I have kinda the same problem. Once i get out of my car key out and engine off my headlights still stay on for like 10 min then they will cut off. It has never done that before. I have replaced my headlight switch but it continues to do the same thing. Any suggestions?

Who's Online
2 registered (Jasper425, TheShadow), 63 Guests and 232 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box

Top Posters (30 Days)
CrystalPistol 362
bluejay_32 324
a_d_a_m 231
Rainbowpizza 167
DudeAbides 149
JeffBoudah 124
Moby_Vic 111
Old_Guy_Stu 77
BigNSlow 69
Bangster 62
Member Spotlight

Copyright 2000-2015 by Crownvic.net and Steve Spaulding. All Rights Reserved.
The photographs, graphics and data contained in this Web site are the properties of the contributors, or Crownvic.net and may not be used without expressed written consent.
Crownvic.net is not affiliated with the Ford motor company.

Happily consuming the fuel saved by Prius owners!