Make payments with PayPal - it's fast, free and secure! registry | CVN on Facebook | tech | news | email login Make payments with PayPal - it's fast, free and secure!

Welcome to CVN - Your Panther platform headquarters!

Custom Search

Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 >
Topic Options
#2472361 - 03/01/12 08:36 PM coolant flush
coolguy147 Offline
Climber

Loc: Florida
i think it's just about time to flush the coolant in my car. i've read over many posts but i'm still unsure about a couple of things.

how do i accurately measure if there is 50:50 anitfreeze/disttilled water mixture in the cooling system? hydrometer?

i'd like to replace any coolant hoses too. upper and lower radiator hoses, and the two heat core hoses. anything else? recommendations and where to get them?

also, there are many different coolants for different model year cars. seeing that i have a 1998, what is the right coolant? should i just get motorcraft or is there some other brand that is equivalent or better and where?

the coolant FAQ is really deep but i'm still quite a bit lost. it's saying that i need 20 gallons of distilled water. is hose water insufficient even for just cleaning purposes?

should i use some kind of cleaner like from motorcraft?

what about a thermostat?

12X,XXX

2006 Pontiac GTO 6sp 6.0l

6X,XXX

Links
#2472382 - 03/01/12 09:22 PM Re: coolant flush [Re: coolguy147]
QuicksterP71 Offline
Over the Hill

Loc: Ma.
I wouldn't touch the heater hose that attaches to the nipple on the intake. I have read so many stories about that nipple breaking or cracking not sure it is worth it. When i changed my coolant i just went with the autozone brand. I didn't do a flush cause my system was clean to begin with.

1997 Crown Vic P71 95.000 miles Formerly Mass Correctional Vehicle, Buying a new Vic one part at a time. Ported and polished plenum, 70mm throttle body, Remote starter, Body Work and New Paint Job, 35% window tint, HPP Wheels off a 96, Pioneer deh-1100mp, Pioneer TS-A6882R 6*8, Pioneer Premier TS-A933P 6*9

#2472386 - 03/01/12 09:35 PM Re: coolant flush [Re: QuicksterP71]
coolguy147 Offline
Climber

Originally Posted By: QuicksterP71
I wouldn't touch the heater hose that attaches to the nipple on the intake. I have read so many stories about that nipple breaking or cracking not sure it is worth it. When i changed my coolant i just went with the autozone brand. I didn't do a flush cause my system was clean to begin with.

lol i hate breaking things...though my intake manifold is the dorman aftermarket...but no anyways lol

i'd like to do a flush mainly because my coolant looks dirty and it hasn't been done in a long time.

12X,XXX

6X,XXX

#2472394 - 03/01/12 09:54 PM Re: coolant flush [Re: coolguy147]
QuicksterP71 Offline
Over the Hill

Loc: Ma.
i still have all the original blue silicon hoses on my 97 P71 and no plans on changing any of them. I am thinking of changing the intake to a PI intake.

1997 Crown Vic P71 95.000 miles Formerly Mass Correctional Vehicle, Buying a new Vic one part at a time. Ported and polished plenum, 70mm throttle body, Remote starter, Body Work and New Paint Job, 35% window tint, HPP Wheels off a 96, Pioneer deh-1100mp, Pioneer TS-A6882R 6*8, Pioneer Premier TS-A933P 6*9

#2472398 - 03/01/12 09:58 PM Re: coolant flush [Re: coolguy147]
stalag Offline
Over the Hill

Loc: Columbus, OH
Autozone house brand is a dexcool variant. To measure if you have a 50/50 mix you will need to measure the density of the coolant. A cheap densitometer that uses floating balls can be had at any auto supply house. These do age however and need to be replaced every 2 years or so.
On my LTC the following mods/upgrades were added. Heinous motorsport control arms, Command Automotive SD-1 rotors (these rotors can no longer be obtained), Calipers by Goldlinebrakes.com in silver with Hawk HPS pads (now running Ford OEM), MSD COP's. MZT is also applied with programming from BOC. j-mod is now done. Final rebuild of transmission done by Gearstar.

#2472420 - 03/01/12 10:43 PM Re: coolant flush [Re: coolguy147]
olopezm Offline

Loc: Irapuato, Mexico
I learned from Chevyguy that when you drain the radiator and after flushing with distilled water until it comes out clear, nearly half of the system's total capacity will remain in the block so refilling with concentrated coolant should leave you with a mix of about 53% which is still acceptable.

Hopefully he will chime in with the specific details.

Oscar.

"If you don't agree with me I respect you; if I don't agree with you I'm an ignorant? Nice thinking smart guy...

#2472433 - 03/01/12 11:17 PM Re: coolant flush [Re: olopezm]
brianalex Offline

Loc: So Cal.
I've been flushing with a garden hose since 1979 and never and any problem what-so-ever.
Also some engines (I'm new to these) have a block drain plug. So you drain the block and the radiator.Remove the thermostat and backflush with a good strong flow from a garden hose.
Frankly I have used good ol' Los Angeles tap water for everything.( I even drink the stuff on occasion !!)
It does seem like there is always some water trapped in there so it's hard to get the % just right.-BA

#2472465 - 03/02/12 12:00 AM Re: coolant flush [Re: coolguy147]
Rizzo Offline
J-MOD Master
Metroplectic

Loc: Romulus,MI
Go to a junk yard and get the heater core hose from the manifold .

Splice in the Prestone garden hose adapter. Use Super flush per directions, Then use the garden hose adapter.

Replace your nice original or new hose after your done.

The Jmod video is done! LINK!

#2472473 - 03/02/12 12:24 AM Re: coolant flush [Re: coolguy147]
Logizyme Offline
Over the Hill

Loc: Seattle, WA
stalag's coolant thing is pretty good.

if you have the silicone hoses, thick blue ones dont worry about replacing them, there very durable and better than any rubber you put on there.

if you have rubber you could replace, I did, i went with goodyear for the quality name, and used the HT hoses for increased durability, plus they sort of look like the silicone ones. they are available on rockauto, look for the goodyear hoses with "HT" on the end of the part #. they have all 6 hoses(with oil cooler) or 5hoses(without)

personally I use cheap green concentrate coolant. regular stuff, and distilled or deionized water. I flushed when i got the car, and drain and fill radiator every year.

I use coolant test strips, I dont like the densitometer's I prefer a hydrometer or the test strips, you can got like 100 strips for 20$. they also show reserve alkalinity and pH. in milder climates up to 70% water is acceptable. water has better cooling property's than ethylene glycol.

anytime your working on the cooling system, I would replace the t-stat and radiator cap(or in our case, pressurized coolant resiviour cap.) both of those are pretty much the only things that control the cooling system operation. proper pressure is just as important as having proper mix.

I certainly would not buy 20 gallons distilled water, i would use 15 gal from the hose for the flush and finish the flush with 5 gal distilled.

I would only use a flushing substance if the coolant is visibly dirty or rusty or chunky. otherwise just water and coolant.
2003 Marauder 300B Black - Eaton swapped
2003 Marauder 300B Blue - Rescue

#2472501 - 03/02/12 01:35 AM Re: coolant flush [Re: Logizyme]
stalag Offline
Over the Hill

Loc: Columbus, OH
Originally Posted By: Logizyme

I certainly would not buy 20 gallons distilled water, i would use 15 gal from the hose for the flush and finish the flush with 5 gal distilled.

I would only use a flushing substance if the coolant is visibly dirty or rusty or chunky. otherwise just water and coolant.

You are arguing not with me but with the studied recommendation of chemists I spoke with that discussed this with me. Tap water is known to in the united states to contain significant amounts of calcium. Calcium plus dissolved carbon dioxide (carbon dioxide is very soluble in hot solutions) will form limescale very quickly that will inhibit the cooling performance of the entire cooling system. Following the studied recommendations of my colleagues, I found my vehicle to warm up faster, and stay more consistent with coolant temperature than before I fully flushed my system. It does make a significant difference. Use the distilled water for another reason, it is a better solvent due to less dissolved salts in it than tap water. It will get your cooling system cleaner and make sure the coolant anticorrosive package will work as designed. Modern anticorrosive packages are much more sensitive to water chemistry than the old style coolant containing phosphates and silicates. Touch a G-05 coolant system with only distilled water you will get 5 years out of the recharge. Follow Logizyme's directions and you will get 3 years. Take your pick. I personally want the extended performance and it is worth it to me to pay a little bit up front to not have to do and waste coolant which is an environmental toxin when you don't need to.
On my LTC the following mods/upgrades were added. Heinous motorsport control arms, Command Automotive SD-1 rotors (these rotors can no longer be obtained), Calipers by Goldlinebrakes.com in silver with Hawk HPS pads (now running Ford OEM), MSD COP's. MZT is also applied with programming from BOC. j-mod is now done. Final rebuild of transmission done by Gearstar.

#2472623 - 03/02/12 10:38 AM Re: coolant flush [Re: coolguy147]
enslow Offline
Over the Hill

Loc: Vancouver
^x2

On my old 81 Lemans, I went through two readiators, two water pumps, a heater core. I changed the coolant regularily flushing with tap water. I always maintained a 50-60% coolant mixture. The vehicle probably had 3-400000km on it when I retired it.

On my 92 Grand Marquis, I only ever flushed with distilled water. After 350000km I still have the original cooling system, except for the hoses.
Stalag's Coolant Write-up

Enslow ...graemlin waving canadian flag...
'92 Grand Marquis, M75 (sold 2019 after 22 years)

#2472709 - 03/02/12 01:20 PM Re: coolant flush [Re: coolguy147]
NSCVPI Offline

Loc: Nova Scotia
Is there a specific set of instructions for doing a flush with distilled water? I realize it isn't rocket science, but I've never done one before. It is just drain the radiator, fill with distilled water in resevoir, run, drain, repeat? Or what is the correct procedure?.. Thanks!

#2472724 - 03/02/12 01:52 PM Re: coolant flush [Re: NSCVPI]
FrankJAG Offline
Over the Hill

Loc: Brazoria, Texas
Originally Posted By: NSCVPI
Is there a specific set of instructions for doing a flush with distilled water? I realize it isn't rocket science, but I've never done one before. It is just drain the radiator, fill with distilled water in resevoir, run, drain, repeat? Or what is the correct procedure?.. Thanks!

https://www.crownvic.net/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showthreaded&Number=1728557

#2472802 - 03/02/12 04:13 PM Re: coolant flush [Re: stalag]
coolguy147 Offline
Climber

Originally Posted By: stalag
Originally Posted By: Logizyme

You are arguing not with me but with the studied recommendation of chemists I spoke with that discussed this with me. Tap water is known to in the united states to contain significant amounts of calcium. Calcium plus dissolved carbon dioxide (carbon dioxide is very soluble in hot solutions) will form limescale very quickly that will inhibit the cooling performance of the entire cooling system. Following the studied recommendations of my colleagues, I found my vehicle to warm up faster, and stay more consistent with coolant temperature than before I fully flushed my system. It does make a significant difference. Use the distilled water for another reason, it is a better solvent due to less dissolved salts in it than tap water. It will get your cooling system cleaner and make sure the coolant anticorrosive package will work as designed. Modern anticorrosive packages are much more sensitive to water chemistry than the old style coolant containing phosphates and silicates. Touch a G-05 coolant system with only distilled water you will get 5 years out of the recharge. Follow Logizyme's directions and you will get 3 years. Take your pick. I personally want the extended performance and it is worth it to me to pay a little bit up front to not have to do and waste coolant which is an environmental toxin when you don't need to.

i totally agree with you on using only distilled water. where i'm stuck at is the actual flushing part...shouldn't i need a hose to back flush from the top radiator hose or should i just drain and refill with distilled water?

if am correct my cooling system holds 4 gallons and there is about 2 gallons of it in the radiator?? so if i continually drain out of the radiator and fill the radiator back up with distilled water until it comes out clear. then when it's clear i drain the radiator one last time and fill with pure coolant it should be 50:50?

should i drain from the lower cooling hose or the plastic spigot? i heard the plastic spigot breaks?

12X,XXX

6X,XXX

#2472811 - 03/02/12 04:39 PM Re: coolant flush [Re: FrankJAG]
NSCVPI Offline

Loc: Nova Scotia
Originally Posted By: FrankCVPI
Originally Posted By: NSCVPI

https://www.crownvic.net/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showthreaded&Number=1728557

I've read through that post and I now know what I want to use for coolant and also that I'm going to flush with distilled water.. Just the simple steps of performing it I'm not 100% sure on. Such as where to drain from, where to fill, etc. Again I apologize if it sounds stupid.. I've done lots of other work on my car I just haven't done a rad flush.

Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 >

Who's Online
3 registered (av8or1, nitro, 1 invisible), 68 Guests and 250 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box

Email Login
EMail Login Name
Password
 New users, sign up!
Top Posters (30 Days)
bluejay_32 177
CrystalPistol 152
a_d_a_m 131
DudeAbides 128
Old_Guy_Stu 120
Moby_Vic 89
ford05 65
Warped9 62
JeffBoudah 59
RF_Overlord 58
Member Spotlight

Copyright 2000-2015 by Crownvic.net and Steve Spaulding. All Rights Reserved.
The photographs, graphics and data contained in this Web site are the properties of the contributors, or Crownvic.net and may not be used without expressed written consent.
Crownvic.net is not affiliated with the Ford motor company.

Happily consuming the fuel saved by Prius owners!