Make payments with PayPal - it's fast, free and secure! registry | CVN on Facebook | tech | news | email login Make payments with PayPal - it's fast, free and secure!

Welcome to CVN - Your Panther platform headquarters!

Custom Search

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#2562029 - 07/19/12 03:28 PM Stock Radio Aux Input
213Shieldefender Offline

Loc: San Gabriel Valley, CA
Yes, it is a stock in-dash CD6 radio with an iPod aux port installed.

I first found them on ebay like this one here. As it turns out, the seller, factoryradioservice.com, can add an aux port to your existing factory setup. This is especially nice if you don't want to throw in one of those silly flashy-looking aftermarket radios that leave a gap in the opening on your dash. He charges about $55 for the service and $15 for shipping the unit back to you. You pay about $8-10 via USPS etc. to ship it to him, he does the work and ships it back to you. So total you're looking at $80-90 out the door--which is still cheaper than buying a separate already-completed assembly. Turnaround time is about 2 weeks.

The only thing is, unless you have an existing radio with an "AUX" button feature or one with a satellite radio receiver installed (which mine didn't even though it had a "SAT" button), he would basically have to run it through the CD player. In other words, when you want to use your iPod, you have to insert a CD and hit the CD button with the aux cable inserted. Don't worry, if you decide you want to listen to your CD then all you have to do is unplug your aux cable from the unit.

All in all, it's a great setup, much better than my old one which used the cassette tape adapter, which would do the annoying auto-fast forward when you pause your iPod after a short period of time or are listening to a very quiet song. And plus the sound quality is SOOO much better. grin grin
2005 Crown Victoria LX Sport, 97k mi, MZT, BOC 87 Octane tune, ported & polished plenum, 35% tint, Federal Signal LED CHMSL, eBay LED taillights, Headlamp Relay Upgrade, Mach 1 chin spoiler, P71 140 mph cluster, carbon fiber interior trim
(Coming soon) 09+ recessed window switches
2008 GMC Yukon SLE, 23k mi, center console, LED tail lights, Tahoe PPV wiper arms, body side molding delete

"It is the soldier, not the reporter, who has given us freedom of the press. It is the soldier, not the poet, who has given us freedom of speech. It is the soldier, not the campus organizer, who has given us the freedom to demonstrate. It is the soldier, who salutes the flag, who serves beneath the flag, and whose coffin is draped by the flag, who allows the protester to burn the flag." - Father Denis Edward O'Brien, USMC

Links
#2562037 - 07/19/12 03:34 PM Re: Stock Radio Aux Input [Re: 213Shieldefender]
Anthony84 Offline
Climber

Loc: Vancouver, WA
Looks good! With the '04 I bought the iSimple universal auxilary input kit for $50 and installed it myself. Piece of cake. Its a "hard wired" FM modulator; so absolutely no static and great sound. I installed the power switch and aux input hole right inline with the "Power Point" under the cupholders. Everyone says it looks factory and works great. Can get pics later if anyone is interested.

My apologies to the OP. Not trying to hi-jack your thread...:)

#2562090 - 07/19/12 04:15 PM Re: Stock Radio Aux Input [Re: 213Shieldefender]
shepd Offline
Over the Hill

Loc: Kitchener, ON
If I had one of these to rip apart (with or without the hack installed), I'd probably be able to figure it out for you. Most car stereo audio chips have multiple inputs, just some are left unused, and some of those inputs "override" whatever is currently playing anyways.

Of course, $55 is actually a really good deal, so unless you enjoy soldering, I'd suggest to send it to him.

#2562378 - 07/19/12 10:57 PM Re: Stock Radio Aux Input [Re: 213Shieldefender]
PI Offline
Ryan #1
Grand Poobah

Loc: When it rains, it drizzles
I like that! Thanks for the link.

- Ryan # 1

2009 CVPI
Ex Kirkland,WA Police
Dark Blue Metallic/Dark Charcoal interior
Bumper tuck mod
LED CHMSL mod
New OEM 17" Wheelcovers
Ford TripTunes Auxiliary port Input radio kit
Crown Victoria LX Auto-dim review mirror

#2564215 - 07/22/12 10:15 PM Re: Stock Radio Aux Input [Re: Anthony84]
PI Offline
Ryan #1
Grand Poobah

Loc: When it rains, it drizzles
Originally Posted By: Anthony84
Looks good! With the '04 I bought the iSimple universal auxilary input kit for $50 and installed it myself. Piece of cake. Its a "hard wired" FM modulator; so absolutely no static and great sound. I installed the power switch and aux input hole right inline with the "Power Point" under the cupholders. Everyone says it looks factory and works great. Can get pics later if anyone is interested.

Curious how it looks, post some pics if possible.

- Ryan # 1

2009 CVPI
Ex Kirkland,WA Police
Dark Blue Metallic/Dark Charcoal interior
Bumper tuck mod
LED CHMSL mod
New OEM 17" Wheelcovers
Ford TripTunes Auxiliary port Input radio kit
Crown Victoria LX Auto-dim review mirror

#2565490 - 07/25/12 01:14 AM Re: Stock Radio Aux Input [Re: 213Shieldefender]
Anthony84 Offline
Climber

Loc: Vancouver, WA
I unfortunately didn't take any pics during the install, but I have a preset to 87.9 (The modulated frequency when the unit is on) and the box itself is held to the backside of the glovebox with double stick tape. I tapped into the "Power Point" for power...anyways; here's the only pics I have...basically only showing mounting location. I had it installed in under an hour...

#2565498 - 07/25/12 01:25 AM Re: Stock Radio Aux Input [Re: PI]
121ak Offline
Over the Hill

Loc: Illinois
Originally Posted By: PI

We sell them and install them at work.

If you truly want a picture I can get you one tomorrow.

Pretty good little unit. We sell a lot of them since it's usually cheaper than replacing the stock radio.
2011 Mustang GT - Kona Blue 5.0 Coyote, Zex Nitrous System, N2MB WotBox, SCT X4 Tuner, Eibach Sportline Lowering Springs, Boss 302 Lower Control Arms, Steeda CAI, Exedy Racing Clutch, Staggered FR500 Wheels, Nitto NT555s, Boss 302 Front Splitter, California Special Lower Valence...and a lot more

2004 Ranger XLT - 4.0 V6, 5 Speed Manual, General Grabber AT2s

Sold:
2007 CVPI- Kicker Soundsystem, Dual VForce Mufflers, 18" Chrome Tips
2005 "Sportrauder" - Way too many mods to list

#2565501 - 07/25/12 01:33 AM Re: Stock Radio Aux Input [Re: 213Shieldefender]
Nomad8326 Offline

A suspicious mind is a healthy mind.
Poobah

Loc: Ohio
Interesting.

I may have to look into the iSimple. My cd player toasted finally after 5 panthers and being 6+ years old.

I'm thinking of putting in a marauder radio I have laying around but I'm pretty sure it doesn't play MP3. I'd want to buy a decently large mp3 player if I go that route so I wouldn't be saving money per se but it would be nice to avoid cds and leaving them in the car all the time.

#2565510 - 07/25/12 01:58 AM Re: Stock Radio Aux Input [Re: 213Shieldefender]
adventureoflink Offline
Rookie

Loc: 39.11006 -84.47633
Looks good! Too bad that in order to properly install my relay and make it work I still need an aftermarket radio head.. :/
Status: Alive & mostly well, still need to tackle the (!)BRAKE light and tilting window

1997 Saturn SL2
DOB: 3/19/1997
Date Obtained: 5/30/2007
Status: in limbo, needs new battery, resonator pipe, and oil/tranny fluid/filter exchange

#2565517 - 07/25/12 02:17 AM Re: Stock Radio Aux Input [Re: Nomad8326]
Ponyguy Offline

Grand Poobah

Loc: Oswego, IL
Originally Posted By: Nomad8326
I'm thinking of putting in a marauder radio I have laying around but I'm pretty sure it doesn't play MP3.

Nope, it doesn't play Mp3's...

I have a factory "Dual-Media" radio (AM/FM/Cassette/CD/Mp3) in my Ranger that looks a lot like the Marauder radio I have in my GMQ; I received some Mp3 formatted CD's from my brother, and they play perfectly in the Ranger, but they won't play in the Merc.

So, I read the rules. Now I'm even more confused.

My transportation sources:
1972 Green Schwinn Speedster;
1984 Canyon Red Mustang V-6;
2004 Gold Ash GMQ LS Ultimate Edition, (Traded away, sadly);
2018 Metallic Blue Fusion Platinum Hybrid Energie Edition.

#2565530 - 07/25/12 02:44 AM Re: Stock Radio Aux Input [Re: Ponyguy]
Nomad8326 Offline

A suspicious mind is a healthy mind.
Poobah

Loc: Ohio
Originally Posted By: ponyguy
Originally Posted By: Nomad8326
I'm thinking of putting in a marauder radio I have laying around but I'm pretty sure it doesn't play MP3.

Nope, it doesn't play Mp3's...

I have a factory "Dual-Media" radio (AM/FM/Cassette/CD/Mp3) in my Ranger that looks a lot like the Marauder radio I have in my GMQ; I received some Mp3 formatted CD's from my brother, and they play perfectly in the Ranger, but they won't play in the Merc.

Yeah that's what I figured.

Realistically I'll probably end up either finding a CD6 with mp3(Local junkyard has one I think plays mp3 for $125) or buying another aftermarket stereo and swapping the marauder radio back out.

#2565813 - 07/25/12 02:48 PM Re: Stock Radio Aux Input [Re: Anthony84]
05Raymond Offline
n00b

Loc: OH USA
Did you need any adaptors for the antenna in or out?

Thanks

#2566097 - 07/25/12 09:36 PM Re: Stock Radio Aux Input [Re: PI]
121ak Offline
Over the Hill

Originally Posted By: PI

So here's some pictures I took at work today.

^Pretty much place that box on your antenna line. Antenna wire runs through that box. Whenever you turn the switch on it blocks outside AM/FM frequencies and plays your iPod through the radio.
2011 Mustang GT - Kona Blue 5.0 Coyote, Zex Nitrous System, N2MB WotBox, SCT X4 Tuner, Eibach Sportline Lowering Springs, Boss 302 Lower Control Arms, Steeda CAI, Exedy Racing Clutch, Staggered FR500 Wheels, Nitto NT555s, Boss 302 Front Splitter, California Special Lower Valence...and a lot more

Sold:

#2566147 - 07/25/12 10:20 PM Re: Stock Radio Aux Input [Re: 213Shieldefender]
ChicagoVic Offline
Over the Hill

Loc: IL
are the cables fairly long? I was interested in mounting this device in my center console and am wondering if it will reach

#2566153 - 07/25/12 10:30 PM Re: Stock Radio Aux Input [Re: ChicagoVic]
121ak Offline
Over the Hill

Originally Posted By: ChicagoVic
are the cables fairly long? I was interested in mounting this device in my center console and am wondering if it will reach

The box is meant to be placed behind the radio. So you might have some issues with the antenna wires meeting the required length. You could always pick up some extensions.

Either that or extend the aux jack out to the console.

I know it can be done.

Sold:

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Who's Online
6 registered (RyderPhan, WalterL, akr619, cv83, webestang, Bangster), 102 Guests and 11 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box

Top Posters (30 Days)
Dmblanch 33
Old_Guy_Stu 32
RF_Overlord 31
speedfreak 28
Bellwestern80 25
LordAeneas 23
PrincePolaris 20
a_d_a_m 17
GM_Guy 16
Traffic22 16
Member Spotlight

Copyright 2000-2015 by Crownvic.net and Steve Spaulding. All Rights Reserved.
The photographs, graphics and data contained in this Web site are the properties of the contributors, or Crownvic.net and may not be used without expressed written consent.
Crownvic.net is not affiliated with the Ford motor company.

Happily consuming the fuel saved by Prius owners!