Make payments with PayPal - it's fast, free and secure! registry | CVN on Facebook | tech | news | email login Make payments with PayPal - it's fast, free and secure!

Welcome to CVN - Your Panther platform headquarters!

Custom Search

Topic Options
#2588020 - 08/29/12 10:06 PM Disabling starter
nonedead Offline
n00b

Loc: Nebraska, USA
I have had a bad problem with my room mates 'borrowing' my car and was wondering where the starter relay is located so I can remove it when I go home to disable the starter at night.

Links
#2588021 - 08/29/12 10:07 PM Re: Disabling starter [Re: nonedead]
Tracy Offline
Over the Hill

Loc: West Bend, WI, USA
Should be in the underhood fuse/relay box.
Check owner's manual for proper location.

Download your Owner's Manual FREE from the Ford Owner's Site

#2588022 - 08/29/12 10:10 PM Re: Disabling starter [Re: nonedead]
nonedead Offline
n00b

Loc: Nebraska, USA
Problem is when i bought the car I did not recive a manual for it.

#2588030 - 08/29/12 10:14 PM Re: Disabling starter [Re: nonedead]
Tracy Offline
Over the Hill

Loc: West Bend, WI, USA
check my signature, you can download one from ford for free.

Download your Owner's Manual FREE from the Ford Owner's Site

#2588031 - 08/29/12 10:17 PM Re: Disabling starter [Re: nonedead]
Skoles Offline

Loc: Mass
You can do that or install/see if your car has the parking lock feature. It's usually a hidden button or latch you pull under the dash that keeps you from putting it in gear.

#2588079 - 08/29/12 11:58 PM Re: Disabling starter [Re: nonedead]
MercuryMan95 Offline

Loc: South Dakota,
When I am in a bad spot to leave my car I usually just smack the fuel inertia switch or pull the fuel pump relay from under the hood. Stops the car from starting.

95 Mercury Grand Marquis 233,000 Miles. burning oil. sold
97 Mercury Grand Marquis 148,000 Miles. digi dash, leather, cheap 3 gauge pod. Running Ok. ported plenum, pi intake, H-Pipe with 2 1/2 inch Thrush Weldeds dumped at the axle, Energy Suspension Poly sway bar links at rear, and poly trailing are bushing.
95 Chrysler Concorde 3.5l SOHC V6 255hp 249,000 miles KIA. Thrown rod..
92 Isuzu Rodeo XS 4x4 3.1l V6 5 speed
Any tool when dropped, will roll into the least accessible corner of the workshop.
- Anthony's Law of the Workshop

#2588309 - 08/30/12 01:01 PM Re: Disabling starter [Re: nonedead]
shepd Offline
Over the Hill

Loc: Kitchener, ON
Call the police and report it stolen. Inform your roommates that you plan to do this beforehand.

You are responsible for their use of the car and if they are using it without permission, the car is stolen. Once it is reported stolen not only will it never be taken by them again, but if they do manage to do something idiotic (getting you traffic camera tickets, etc) you can have those tickets dismissed (or at least pinned on the person committing the crime).

Personally, I'd tie an siren to the "ON" position of the ignition and put in a switch hidden away somewhere to keep it from coming on. You have a P71 so this is REALLY easy, there's free wiring for it behind the glove box, you'll just need a relay, switch, and a siren.

#2588354 - 08/30/12 02:32 PM Re: Disabling starter [Re: nonedead]
flyboy Offline
Ret US Army Medic
Poobah

Loc: Chillicothe, Mo
Do your "roommates" have access to the keys to your car? Sounds to me that someone is "borrowing" your keys without your knowledge. I'll bet they would really get p***ed off if you were to have the ignition re-keyed with your key being the only one that will start the car. Leave your old keys laying around & once they find the car won't start their attitude will definitely change. You have to remember that any accident, be it vehicle or a person getting hit comes back to you since you are the license owner. I grew up in the 50's & we had a way to deal with the kids that were a PITA. You could buy a under hood bomb that was wired between two spark plugs & when the vehicle was started a very loud whistle sounded, then a big BANG & a big cloud of smoke came out from the engine. A buddy of mine was dating a girl & she went to a dance at the local country club with a kid we called "Sanky or Pooky" who was a poor rich kid. His Dad had bought him a new 1953 Packard convertible. (He was in 12th grade) (God forbid Pooky had to drive a OLD car) we put 2 of the "bombs" on the car, along with grease wrapped in toilet paper on the steering wheel & we also got a large bolt, fastened aa strong wire on the head & dropped it in the filler neck of the gas tank. Never did find out how long it took him to discover what was making all that noise. What made it easy was it was in May, warm weather & Pooky left the windows down so we could open the hood. The best part of the entire project was that the girl's Dad was very happy since he couldn't stand "Pooky's" attitude. We used to make bets that he had to do #1 in a seated position, unlike the rest of we guys that stood & aimed.

#2588386 - 08/30/12 03:25 PM Re: Disabling starter [Re: nonedead]
QuicksterP71 Offline
Over the Hill

Loc: Ma.
No sure calling the cops is the best idea you might be labeled as a rat. Instead of pulling a relay i think i would just pull one of the fuses. I think it might be time for a ass-kicking

1997 Crown Vic P71 95.000 miles Formerly Mass Correctional Vehicle, Buying a new Vic one part at a time. Ported and polished plenum, 70mm throttle body, Remote starter, Body Work and New Paint Job, 35% window tint, HPP Wheels off a 96, Pioneer deh-1100mp, Pioneer TS-A6882R 6*8, Pioneer Premier TS-A933P 6*9

#2588401 - 08/30/12 04:13 PM Re: Disabling starter [Re: nonedead]
P71Ham Offline
Climber

Loc: Parkersburg, WV
That, or make a hidden switch, that causes the horn to come on when you hit the breaks. Most people hit the breaks before they start a car, so it would go off before they even start it.

#2588595 - 08/30/12 10:25 PM Re: Disabling starter [Re: QuicksterP71]
shepd Offline
Over the Hill

Loc: Kitchener, ON
Originally Posted By: QuicksterP71
No sure calling the cops is the best idea you might be labeled as a rat. Instead of pulling a relay i think i would just pull one of the fuses. I think it might be time for a ass-kicking

Who cares what you are labelled as by people who are going to end up in jail anyhow? Next thing you know the guy mugging me will say he doesn't like me!

Move out and in the meantime, after you have told them you will, you go ahead and call the cops when the car is not there.

#2588648 - 08/31/12 12:24 AM Re: Disabling starter [Re: flyboy]
optik Offline
never say never
Poobah

Loc: Minneapolis, MN
Originally Posted By: flyboy
Do your "roommates" have access to the keys to your car? Sounds to me that someone is "borrowing" your keys without your knowledge. I'll bet they would really get p***ed off if you were to have the ignition re-keyed with your key being the only one that will start the car. Leave your old keys laying around & once they find the car won't start their attitude will definitely change. You have to remember that any accident, be it vehicle or a person getting hit comes back to you since you are the license owner. I grew up in the 50's & we had a way to deal with the kids that were a PITA. You could buy a under hood bomb that was wired between two spark plugs & when the vehicle was started a very loud whistle sounded, then a big BANG & a big cloud of smoke came out from the engine. A buddy of mine was dating a girl & she went to a dance at the local country club with a kid we called "Sanky or Pooky" who was a poor rich kid. His Dad had bought him a new 1953 Packard convertible. (He was in 12th grade) (God forbid Pooky had to drive a OLD car) we put 2 of the "bombs" on the car, along with grease wrapped in toilet paper on the steering wheel & we also got a large bolt, fastened aa strong wire on the head & dropped it in the filler neck of the gas tank. Never did find out how long it took him to discover what was making all that noise. What made it easy was it was in May, warm weather & Pooky left the windows down so we could open the hood. The best part of the entire project was that the girl's Dad was very happy since he couldn't stand "Pooky's" attitude. We used to make bets that he had to do #1 in a seated position, unlike the rest of we guys that stood & aimed.

Aaaaaaaand another post where you remind me that you are a horrible person who should be locked up.

As for the OP:

Look on ebay for a Tremco switch would be my recommendation. It's always on, and way more convenient for you than relays and fuses and other shenanigans.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Tremco-Anti-Thef...d95&vxp=mtr

NOTE! The one I linked is a pre-2005 model. They all work the same but due to a change in connector for the column wiring harness in 2005 it will not be plug and play for your 06. You could manually splice it in, but I would just go to a pick and pull yard and get the 05+ harness connectors and splice them onto the Tremco unit. (They are green, and live right under the ignition.)

Having lived in MN for so long I understand not addressing the problem with your roommates directly. Passive aggressive FTW!

2013 Ford Focus
2008 Ford Expedition SSV
Mirror of p71interceptor.com: http://www.idmsvcs.com/2vmod/
Mirror of moldyrabbit.com/liquid/: http://www.idmsvcs.com/liquid/

#2591510 - 09/05/12 06:58 PM Re: Disabling starter [Re: nonedead]
LTDteether Offline
Over the Hill

Loc: Democratic Rep. of Southpaw
Technoweenie had a nice kill switch circuit posted.

#2591773 - 09/06/12 09:50 AM Re: Disabling starter [Re: nonedead]
hellraiser319 Offline
Over the Hill

Loc: Moline, IL
There is also a connection by the battery junction box that goes right to the starter solenoid, idk if the same on 06, but mine there are 3 connectors fastened to the fender well, there's one with just one wire going to it. Unplug to disable, plug to enable.

Chris H.
03 CVPI & 96 Aspire, see fquick link for info
MECP Advanced - CEA170106 - Best Buy #0023 - Moline, IL
XBL, PSN, FB, FQuick, TCG = hellraiser319

Who's Online
4 registered (Rootintootin, Rainbowpizza, PickledVic, a_d_a_m), 68 Guests and 261 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box

Top Posters (30 Days)
bluejay_32 303
a_d_a_m 239
Rainbowpizza 186
DudeAbides 144
JeffBoudah 108
Moby_Vic 101
Old_Guy_Stu 87
Bangster 69
BigNSlow 55
2004_p71 53
Member Spotlight

Copyright 2000-2015 by Crownvic.net and Steve Spaulding. All Rights Reserved.
The photographs, graphics and data contained in this Web site are the properties of the contributors, or Crownvic.net and may not be used without expressed written consent.
Crownvic.net is not affiliated with the Ford motor company.

Happily consuming the fuel saved by Prius owners!