Make payments with PayPal - it's fast, free and secure! registry | CVN on Facebook | tech | news | email login Make payments with PayPal - it's fast, free and secure!

Welcome to CVN - Your Panther platform headquarters!

Custom Search

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#2517220 - 05/05/12 04:30 PM TRACTION control switch.
nick366 Offline
Rookie

Loc: CA
I have a 2006 Police Crown vic. It does not have the traction control off button on the dash. Does this mean that the traction control is always turned on or does it lack traction control? If traction control is existent, can I take a dash trim with the traction control off button, and plug it into the wiring (which plugs to nothing currently) and will it cause the traction control to turn off? Thanks in advance.

Links
#2517236 - 05/05/12 05:06 PM Re: TRACTION control switch. [Re: nick366]
BigMerc96 Offline

I know nothing
Posting Addict

Loc: I can see Detroit from here!
If its like my buddy's '05 CVPI, it just doesn't have traction control.

2006 Audi A6 ~132k miles, stock.
1998 Mercury Grand Marquis LS HPP ~100k miles, slowly acquiring modifications.
1997 Town Car Cartier ~145k miles, Ported Plenum, Gutted Airbox, Contour E-fan Retrofit, Dual exhaust with Magnaflows, cats deleted, MSD Ignition, KYB Gas-A-Justs, P71 front bar, air ride reinstated, Projector retrofit, Caddy 4-note horn retrofit, Wood rim steering wheel retrofit, holistic weight reduction as the parts fall off..
1996 Mercury Grand Marquis GS 117,485mi. R.I.P. 7/14/12 frown

#2517247 - 05/05/12 05:46 PM Re: TRACTION control switch. [Re: nick366]
2007CrownVic Offline
Over the Hill

Loc: Canada
Traction control was an option. If it doesn't have the switch it doesn't have it.

#2517399 - 05/05/12 10:45 PM Re: TRACTION control switch. [Re: nick366]
08CHP71 Offline
Stranger

Loc: Bay Area
My 08 p71 had no traction control switch, it was basically on all the time. I bought an 08 mustang traction control switch dremel the left side dash trim panel and plugged it in, works as it should now push to turn off TC.

Remove the left center dash trim panel and there should be a plug attached behind it... Well that's if your cars like mine. I've searched on eBay for a dash trim panel with the TC switch included but could not fine the same color and wood grain to match my interior, so thats why I dremeled mine.

Edited by 08CHP71 (05/05/12 10:47 PM)

#2517532 - 05/06/12 08:37 AM Re: TRACTION control switch. [Re: 08CHP71]
prodigalson Offline
Banned
Over the Hill

Loc: Cleveland, OH USA
Originally Posted By: 08CHP71
My 08 p71 had no traction control switch, it was basically on all the time. I bought an 08 mustang traction control switch dremel the left side dash trim panel and plugged it in, works as it should now push to turn off TC.

Remove the left center dash trim panel and there should be a plug attached behind it... Well that's if your cars like mine. I've searched on eBay for a dash trim panel with the TC switch included but could not fine the same color and wood grain to match my interior, so thats why I dremeled mine.

If it doesn't have a switch, it doesn't have traction control. You plugged into nothing. Even if the OFF bulb illuminates in the switch (which it will,) the traction logic is integral to the ABS module. If it didn't come with the option, and you didn't swap the ABS module, you still don't have traction control.

#2518767 - 05/08/12 06:30 AM Re: TRACTION control switch. [Re: nick366]
08CHP71 Offline
Stranger

Loc: Bay Area
Well on my 08 it dose not work with the ABS. Its a pretty lame traction control or if I could even call it that. With it "On" when you smash on the gas in the rain it will spin the tires for a second then drop the gas on you to stop the spinning. My car has a servo operated throttle body so when the computer senses a difference in speed with the front and rear wheels it throttles down until all wheels are spinning at the same speed. Then it will throttle back up to were ever your foot is then repeat the same cycle. Its pretty lame especially in the rain the car just jerks back and forth. Now with it "Off," I could hold down the gas and burn out as long as I want without the computer trying to keep the throttle down.

Lastly when you push the track off switch the gauge cluster lights up a yellow triangle with a car in the middle skidding out.

Edited by 08CHP71 (05/08/12 07:09 AM)

#2518811 - 05/08/12 09:19 AM Re: TRACTION control switch. [Re: prodigalson]
GSDNH Offline
Banned
Over the Hill

Loc: MA
Originally Posted By: prodigalson
If it doesn't have a switch, it doesn't have traction control. You plugged into nothing. Even if the OFF bulb illuminates in the switch (which it will,) the traction logic is integral to the ABS module. If it didn't come with the option, and you didn't swap the ABS module, you still don't have traction control.

I do know that at some point, the traction control in a lot of other Fords(Mustangs at least), got away from using the ABS for traction control, and started using the computer to pull timing. My '06 Mustang has a similar scenario to the OPs, it doesn't use the ABS for the traction control. '03 Cobra pulls timing also.

In my Mustang I always assumed that the computer pulled timing like the previous years, but I never really thought about the throttle body closing, which makes so much more sense with TBW.

OP, you might be able to do something in the tune to get the results you desire?

#2519161 - 05/08/12 06:57 PM Re: TRACTION control switch. [Re: GSDNH]
prodigalson Offline
Banned
Over the Hill

As per usual, I'm not entirely familiar with other model years. I know in my 03 it does both apply the ABS as well as cut engine power. Ask me how I know this (or I'll just tell you - burnout megafail.) It makes sense that they would phase out the ABS portion with the conversion to DBW. Sorry for any half correct or irrelevant information on my part.

#2519295 - 05/08/12 09:41 PM Re: TRACTION control switch. [Re: nick366]
GSDNH Offline
Banned
Over the Hill

Loc: MA
It's cool

#2519312 - 05/08/12 09:54 PM Re: TRACTION control switch. [Re: 08CHP71]
2007CrownVic Offline
Over the Hill

Loc: Canada
Originally Posted By: 08CHP71
Well on my 08 it dose not work with the ABS. Its a pretty lame traction control or if I could even call it that. With it "On" when you smash on the gas in the rain it will spin the tires for a second then drop the gas on you to stop the spinning. My car has a servo operated throttle body so when the computer senses a difference in speed with the front and rear wheels it throttles down until all wheels are spinning at the same speed. Then it will throttle back up to were ever your foot is then repeat the same cycle. Its pretty lame especially in the rain the car just jerks back and forth. Now with it "Off," I could hold down the gas and burn out as long as I want without the computer trying to keep the throttle down.

Lastly when you push the track off switch the gauge cluster lights up a yellow triangle with a car in the middle skidding out.

That's what mine does too, which is annoying at times because it feels like the car is bogging down for no reason, like slipping in the winter as you're starting to move. But when it's a time that it's really needed it works. Mine doesn't light up any warning on the dash when you turn it off, just the switch lights up. The only time the dash shows anything is when traction control is trying to do something.

#2521498 - 05/12/12 01:14 AM Re: TRACTION control switch. [Re: 2007CrownVic]
nick366 Offline
Rookie

Loc: CA
Originally Posted By: 2007CrownVic

That's what mine does too, which is annoying at times because it feels like the car is bogging down for no reason, like slipping in the winter as you're starting to move. But when it's a time that it's really needed it works. Mine doesn't light up any warning on the dash when you turn it off, just the switch lights up. The only time the dash shows anything is when traction control is trying to do something.

Did you have a traction control OFF switch? Is your situation just like the other user with the 2008 model? I noticed that when I accelerate fast in the rain, it totally seems that the engine does not get a power cut. No traction control from the factory?!

#2521520 - 05/12/12 02:29 AM Re: TRACTION control switch. [Re: nick366]
JuggernautOfWar Offline

Loc: 142nd Fighter Wing - Oregon
My 2004 CVPI has no traction control installed and thus no switch is on the dash. Could be your 2006 doesn't have it either. I think most CVPIs do not have traction control. If you know what you're doing it just gets in the way more often than not.

#2620282 - 10/31/12 03:29 PM Re: TRACTION control switch. [Re: nick366]
EAGLE Offline

Loc: Indianapolis, IN
Let me get this thing strait, on my 2010 CVPI it did not came with Traction Control but the harness for the on/off switch is there behind the trim. If I get a on/off switch would this then enable the use of traction control?

and

as you can see the plug and cable for traction control is there...
2010 UA BLACK P7B, Bought it with 11,300 miles and 43 hrs, it incl. Window sticker, full cloth interiors charcoal black, Former Fed US Marshall's vehicle never used for police work, Never had lights or holes for radios. I'm the 3rd owner.
It has the Reinhart 93 custom tune with SCT Xcal3 tuner, rear skid plate for the rear bumper from Reinhart, stock K&N Air Filter, Royal Purple motor oil & filter with Lucas synthetic Oil stabilizer and Filter Mags on Motor and Tranny.

For Mods I added the 09+ OEM sun visors with lights, foot well lights, Steering wheel Volume and Temp buttons and painted the Dome Ticket light base Black.

#2620318 - 10/31/12 05:03 PM Re: TRACTION control switch. [Re: nick366]
prodigalson Offline
Banned
Over the Hill

The switch is there to DISABLE traction control, where applicable. Some vehicles are equipped with TC while some aren't. Not all of those that are equiped with TC are equipped with a disable switch. Some CVPIs were shipped with active TC and no disable. For vehicles equipped with it, the TC is active every time the vehicle is started, until disabled. When the vehicle is turned off and restarted the TC will again be active. If you install a switch to the provided harness connector, that won't necessarily enable you to deactivate it, because it might not be there to begin with.

If you do not have the disable switch and are not sure if you have TC installed, you will either have to consult a build sheet or ask the dealership to run the VIN. It may be encoded in the door sticker but I'm not sure. The other way is to perform a crude test. If you try to perform a burnout and break traction, your engine will either bog down if newer (+05?), or activate the ABS if older (-02?), or both (03-04ish). Not sure about the year breaks, but in any case there will be noticeable resistance if you try to break lose with Traction Control engaged.

#2620319 - 10/31/12 05:05 PM Re: TRACTION control switch. [Re: EAGLE]
BlackVic_P71 Offline
Grand Poobah

Loc: LI, NY
Originally Posted By: EAGLE
Let me get this thing straight, my 2010 CVPI it did not came with Traction Control but the harness for the on/off switch is there behind the trim. If I get a on/off switch would this then enable the use of traction control?

According to a poster above, yes. I don't quite buy it though.
I have a traction control button and could try it.
I would imagine in '05+ at least, it's all in the computer and has to be turned on/off by Ford to make it work(at least work correctly) like cruise control.

1989 Ford Crown Victoria Country Squire - 347
2005 Crown Victoria LX Sport with Stainless Works full exhaust, Addco swaybars, Heinous control arms, Powerslot rotors, Hawk HPS pads
Accufab plenum for a DBW Panther
Blue LED buttons/switches how to

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Who's Online
0 registered (), 38 Guests and 244 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box

Top Posters (30 Days)
CrystalPistol 362
bluejay_32 324
a_d_a_m 231
Rainbowpizza 167
DudeAbides 149
JeffBoudah 124
Moby_Vic 111
Old_Guy_Stu 77
BigNSlow 69
Bangster 62
Member Spotlight

Copyright 2000-2015 by Crownvic.net and Steve Spaulding. All Rights Reserved.
The photographs, graphics and data contained in this Web site are the properties of the contributors, or Crownvic.net and may not be used without expressed written consent.
Crownvic.net is not affiliated with the Ford motor company.

Happily consuming the fuel saved by Prius owners!