Make payments with PayPal - it's fast, free and secure! registry | CVN on Facebook | tech | news | email login Make payments with PayPal - it's fast, free and secure!

Welcome to CVN - Your Panther platform headquarters!

Custom Search

Topic Options
#2627723 - 11/16/12 01:31 PM Transmission issue-engine dies when put in gear
Maxadoby Offline
Stranger

Loc: Wisconsin
Hello, I am new to forum and looking for some advice on a trans issue I'm having. I have a '98 Lincoln Town Car with around 130k on it. I pulled engine to do PI head/intake swap and add some compcams, and figured might as well rebuild trans while apart. Before tear down I had no issues or problems with engine or trans, was just looking for some more power and freshen up drive train. I replaced the friction & steel plates, new bands, gaskets & seals, and new torque converter. Got it all back together, filled with fresh oil, coolant, plugs etc. Start it up, and it idles fine in park or neutral but when I put it in drive or reverse the engine dies unless I keep my foot on the gas. I took it around the block and double checked my oil level, had to add alittle bit. It seems to shift fine up through OD, also manually shifted fine through 1-2-D-OD and downshifts normally on acceleration but will die when coming to a stop unless I keep my foot on the gas. From what I have found/read on here it sounds like an issue with the torque converter or tcc solenoid. So since converter is new, I got a new tcc solenoid and replaced the old one. Tried it again with same results, just wants to stall out when in gear. So, before I pull trans out I figured I would see if anybody might have some input or hopefully an easy button idea. Let me know, thanks

Links
#2627766 - 11/16/12 03:47 PM Re: Transmission issue-engine dies when put in gear [Re: Maxadoby]
BigMerc96 Offline

I know nothing
Posting Addict

Loc: I can see Detroit from here!
Sounds like the IAC has [censored] the bed. If keeping your foot on the gas keeps it from stalling, then yeah, thats usually an IAC that is failing. It idles in park/neutral because the IAC is open more for a higher idle. My buddy's olds did exactly as you describe when its IAC was sticking.

2006 Audi A6 ~132k miles, stock.
1998 Mercury Grand Marquis LS HPP ~100k miles, slowly acquiring modifications.
1997 Town Car Cartier ~145k miles, Ported Plenum, Gutted Airbox, Contour E-fan Retrofit, Dual exhaust with Magnaflows, cats deleted, MSD Ignition, KYB Gas-A-Justs, P71 front bar, air ride reinstated, Projector retrofit, Caddy 4-note horn retrofit, Wood rim steering wheel retrofit, holistic weight reduction as the parts fall off..
1996 Mercury Grand Marquis GS 117,485mi. R.I.P. 7/14/12 frown

#2629384 - 11/20/12 04:09 PM Re: Transmission issue-engine dies when put in gear [Re: BigMerc96]
Maxadoby Offline
Stranger

Hey, thanks for the reply I will have to check that out. The only thing is with keeping foot on gas its like brake torqueing-the car wants togo. It seems like trans has too much drag/or not slipping at low rpm.

#2629677 - 11/21/12 09:25 AM Re: Transmission issue-engine dies when put in gear [Re: Maxadoby]
pivichot Offline

Loc: Miami, Florida
I am not sure since I am also new in this forum but when you do pi head swap and put in new cams, which might open the valves more, wouldn't one need to change the tune in the ECU?

#2629718 - 11/21/12 11:33 AM Re: Transmission issue-engine dies when put in gear [Re: pivichot]
GrandMarq9807 Offline
Over the Hill

Loc: Virginia
Originally Posted By: pivichot
I am not sure since I am also new in this forum but when you do pi head swap and put in new cams, which might open the valves more, wouldn't one need to change the tune in the ECU?

Nope, would not likely cause a issue at idle...

I had a trans that the TCC was hanging up, it would lug down and die when coming to a stop, much like not depressing the clutch in a manual... I don't think even opening the throttle would have helped when it was havin' one of it's spells...

----------My Toys---------(links are up)
1969 Fairlane Cobra 428CJ 4-Speed
1972 Comet GT Restomod 306, C4
1988 Turbo Coupe 331 AOD & 3.73 .. Pressurized ½ Motor is History

*****************NEW TOY!!!*********************
1969 Base Fairlane 302, C4, 45K mi(really!)

Now with P/S & PDB
Gonna wake it up with a Blue Print headed 347

#2631630 - 11/26/12 01:55 PM Re: Transmission issue-engine dies when put in gear [Re: Maxadoby]
Maxadoby Offline
Stranger

Well, decided to pull trans out and go through everything. Haven't got the trans apart yet but noticed the oil has a slight metallic quality to it. I'll update when I find something

Who's Online
5 registered (BlackNFast, Box83, ClayBelt, a_d_a_m, SMJNWIA), 46 Guests and 286 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box

Email Login
EMail Login Name
Password
 New users, sign up!
Top Posters (30 Days)
bluejay_32 200
a_d_a_m 125
DudeAbides 122
CrystalPistol 120
Old_Guy_Stu 113
Moby_Vic 80
ford05 60
Ponyguy 56
Warped9 56
RF_Overlord 52
Member Spotlight

Copyright 2000-2015 by Crownvic.net and Steve Spaulding. All Rights Reserved.
The photographs, graphics and data contained in this Web site are the properties of the contributors, or Crownvic.net and may not be used without expressed written consent.
Crownvic.net is not affiliated with the Ford motor company.

Happily consuming the fuel saved by Prius owners!