Make payments with PayPal - it's fast, free and secure! registry | CVN on Facebook | tech | news | email login Make payments with PayPal - it's fast, free and secure!

Welcome to CVN - Your Panther platform headquarters!

Custom Search

Topic Options
#2695122 - 04/11/13 06:10 PM Digital to Analog...I need advice
jcataldo Offline

Loc: Illinois
So I picked up this analog gauge cluster from a junk yard and it's in pretty good condition and has all of the bulbs and wires in tact.
I also took the plastic surround which houses it since the one in my Marquis currently is different.

Now, how much of a pain in my a$$ will it be to do this swap?

I have a 2001 Grand Marquis with the digidash, and considering that I scored this analog cluster for free, it seemed too good to pass up and I'm seriously considering the swap. I have a mild knowledge of electronics and circuitry. I can solder and splice and follow directions and stuff like that...

Does anybody have any experience with this or any write-ups that could guide me through the process?
Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks! Here's a pic

3.73 Gears with Mo's Speed Shop tune,Trac-loc Limited slip diff. from a P71
Color Matched rear fascia, Color Matched Grille surround with black slots
15% tint in the rear, 2.5 inch lowering springs in front, 2 inch in the rear
16" steelies with tall center caps (225/60/16)

Links
#2695314 - 04/12/13 02:48 AM Re: Digital to Analog...I need advice [Re: jcataldo]
optik Offline
never say never
Poobah

Loc: Minneapolis, MN
Maybe this is a stupid question, but why would you want to ditch the digi-dash?

2014 Ford Fusion Titanium AWD
2008 Ford Expedition SSV
Mirror of p71interceptor.com: http://www.idmsvcs.com/2vmod/
Mirror of moldyrabbit.com/liquid/: http://www.idmsvcs.com/liquid/

#2695494 - 04/12/13 04:12 PM Re: Digital to Analog...I need advice [Re: jcataldo]
jcataldo Offline

Idk, I'm not 95 years old and I don't like all the buttons that I never use. I've always preferred a good old fashioned analog display

#2695498 - 04/12/13 04:21 PM Re: Digital to Analog...I need advice [Re: jcataldo]
DOdoubleGMarquis Offline
Rookie

Loc: .aL ,tropeverhS
grin I've been driving my mom's 08 for the past three weeks. Switching back to my 97 a couple days ago, the biggest change to get used to was going back to the analog speedo.

If everything, including the ODO works on that cluster you've got in the trunk, and you decide not to do the swap; I might be interested in taking it off your hands. wink

#2695771 - 04/13/13 11:11 AM Re: Digital to Analog...I need advice [Re: jcataldo]
richie3102 Offline
n00b

Loc: Cincinnati, Ohio
Just like you have probably heard your whole life
"Don't fix it if it ain't broke".
2 15in Kickers w/ fogate amp
93 Lincoln Continental Executive Series (Sold)
07 Saab 9-3 Wagon 2.0t 6-speed manual- 110k - The gas saver

#2695798 - 04/13/13 12:43 PM Re: Digital to Analog...I need advice [Re: jcataldo]
P_Weston Offline

Cynical Bastard
Poobah

Loc: Reno, Nevada
It's doable, you just have to get the pigtails for the analog harness and figure out which wires in the digidash harness are which data and voltage inputs and splice the analog pigtail on to it.

I converted to digidash from analog, one of the few people to actually do the whole OEM conversion. I don't know about buttons I'm not using, cause I use the fuel mileage readouts all the time. I use all the extra indicators on the screen as well, and are very helpful to me personally. The only thing I wish I could change was the odometer but I just subtract from my old speedometer.

2000 Mercury Grand Marquis GS "Dewgong"

#2695803 - 04/13/13 12:55 PM Re: Digital to Analog...I need advice [Re: jcataldo]
HeavyMetalMerc Offline
Over the Hill

Loc: Seattle, WA
others have swapped from analog to digital.
its a whole different dash harness.
means entire front dash needs to come out and then all wiring needs swapped over to an analog one.
POTM winner Phillip in his merc did it.
took him long time to find correct harness to go digital, but suspect finding analog would be easier.
need only find a mercury with no digital .

there are write ups in cvn of this swap.

https://www.crownvic.net/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2499221

this link has many other links to get started

1998 Mercury Grand Marquis LS, HPP package
FRPP PI Intake from ADTR, Ported Plenum from ADTR, Steeda Plenum Spacer from ADTR, MSD Coils
BBK 70MM TB from ADTR, E3 Plugs, 2004 MZT, SCT X3 Tune from BOC, MAF Jumper from BOC, Optima Yellow Top
Marauder Spoiler, Steeda Oil Separator W/custom bracket, Metco Control Arms & Watts Link
Addco Rear Sway Bar w/ES Bushings, 3:73 Rear Gears with FRPP Trac Lok, Superior Rear Axles, Spruce Green Brake Calipers
PowerSlot Slotted Discs, Hawk HPS pads, Extended Tailshaft with P71 DriveShaft, Rebuilt/Painted Rear Axle, Bilstien Shocks, Chrome FR500 18's, Nitto 555's - 255/45-18 F, 285/40-18 R

"One doesnt simply drive the speed limit when listening to Heavy Metal"

#2695848 - 04/13/13 03:34 PM Re: Digital to Analog...I need advice [Re: P_Weston]
jcataldo Offline

Originally Posted By: P_Weston
I don't know about buttons I'm not using, cause I use the fuel mileage readouts all the time. I use all the extra indicators on the screen as well, and are very helpful to me personally.

Well for me, I hate the gas mileage button because I don't like knowing what kind of terrible gas mileage i'm getting, and it's not the most accurate thing in the world.
I always have it set to the "miles until empty" display which is the only thing I would really miss.
I never use trip A or Trip B odometers and the "Average Speed" display is useless in my opinion.
I don't mind the engine temp readout, but I hate the fuel readout since there are no dashes to show 3/4 tank, 1/2 tank or 1/4 tank which bothers me...it's either one dash above those values or one below.
It annoys me a lot for some reason. And I could care less for the speedometer because if i'm ever accelerating quickly, it skips numbers cause it can't keep up, and I don't even have any performance mods yet!
And also, the only time I ever change everything to metric is when i'm trying to fool my gullible friends into thinking i'm going faster than I really am...but other than that, I never use that button either.

Anyway, sorry for the rant, but that's just my take on the digidash since everyone is always surprised at the fact that I prefer the analog.

But in the end, I just hope I won't be kicking myself repeatedly when I do the swap because I don't realize how difficult this could actually be...

Once again though, any wiring diagrams or tips on how to do this properly and efficiently would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

#2695897 - 04/13/13 06:11 PM Re: Digital to Analog...I need advice [Re: jcataldo]
90boss Offline
n00b

Loc: Minnesota
Analog all the way, I excluded any mgm with the digital dash form my search when I was looking to buy. My 06 does have the digital MPH but also has both the analog speedo and tach which I like. Good luck with the conversion.
2001 F150 SC XLT 5.4 plow truck
1998 Mark VIII transforming into street rod/bracket racer
1990 Mustang LX bracket racer 12.29 ET @ 107MPH

#2696006 - 04/13/13 11:03 PM Re: Digital to Analog...I need advice [Re: jcataldo]
eagleye Offline

Loc: Texas
If that speedo is from the same year car as yours, you should go back to the same junk yard and ask for the wiring harness from the same car they pulled the speedo from. then, wire that harness into your car.
'94 crown Vic now up to 40000 orig. miles stock. Replaced rusted fuel tank. Tight engine. Valve seals leaking. 2nd owner. Repainted once. New tires, brakes. Egr channel clean out done. New autolite platinum plugs. Dealer transmission flush and radiator flush.

#2696139 - 04/14/13 02:20 PM Re: Digital to Analog...I need advice [Re: eagleye]
jcataldo Offline

Originally Posted By: eagleye
If that speedo is from the same year car as yours, you should go back to the same junk yard and ask for the wiring harness from the same car they pulled the speedo from. then, wire that harness into your car.

The gauges are from an 04 I believe, and I have the all the connectors and stuff from it

Who's Online
0 registered (), 135 Guests and 7 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box

Top Posters (30 Days)
Dmblanch 33
Old_Guy_Stu 32
RF_Overlord 31
speedfreak 27
Bellwestern80 25
LordAeneas 23
PrincePolaris 20
a_d_a_m 17
Traffic22 16
GM_Guy 16
Member Spotlight

Copyright 2000-2015 by Crownvic.net and Steve Spaulding. All Rights Reserved.
The photographs, graphics and data contained in this Web site are the properties of the contributors, or Crownvic.net and may not be used without expressed written consent.
Crownvic.net is not affiliated with the Ford motor company.

Happily consuming the fuel saved by Prius owners!