Make payments with PayPal - it's fast, free and secure! registry | CVN on Facebook | tech | news | email login Make payments with PayPal - it's fast, free and secure!

Welcome to CVN - Your Panther platform headquarters!

Custom Search

Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 >
Topic Options
#2716942 - 06/02/13 01:39 AM DBW intake mods (straight business)
Black_Sunshine Offline
Poobah

Loc: AZ
Ever since I signed up with CVN I've been looking for the optimum intake upgrade. There even was a time when I almost bought a CAI. After reading the MZT thread in the BoK I decided that a CAI just isn't necessary. The other problem that I faced was that I want more than just the MZT.

The first two years I was a member here were plagued with naysayers that said that DBW would never have TB upgrades. It might have even been said that you can't put an aftermarket plenum on a DBW 2V.

There have been a few innovators so far. BlackVic_P71 was the first poster to put an aftermarket plenum on a DBW. He made a write-up here. It looks like the DBW motor actually accepts the plenum with less mods because we can use the IAC as a vacuum port.

So, with the filter box and tube taken care of by the MZT and the plenum taken care of by BlackVic_P71's brave innovation with an aftermarket plenum the only thing left is the TB.

The TB has been a sticking point in DBW discussions because it's such a specialized part. The 2V DBW 4.6L was only offered in Panthers. It only came with a 65mm TB.

But, alas, we have options. There are at least two off the shelf options available. The 70mm BBK TB designed for use on 4.0L Mustangs will bolt right up. I think there's a 75mm that will bolt right up too.

This isn't about that. I've been terribly jealous of the super cheap F150 & Econoline TB swaps. At some point or another someone posted a pic of how to modify a 3V 75mm DBW plenum from a late model F150. It's super hard to find that one obscure post so I'm not going to link it. It's out there somewhere.

Finally, I've come out with it. That's what this thread is all about putting a 75mm TB from a 3V F150 on our motors. I finally got the plenum today and I've already started messing with it. I can't wait any longer.

So here's the pics and how to do the modifications.

Here's the TB mocked up against the Accufab plenum to show how it fits the plenum that it was never made to fit.

Here's looking down the barrel. You can see how the air just wants to fly into this setup. It started to suck as soon as I put them together! Note how there's no bolt holes. That's the problem.

I quickly traced out a piece of cardboard to make a gasket/template. (Its a template now but I might bolt it in there later.) I traced it, cut out the bolt holes that I could get a pencil in, and bolted it on.

Then I beat it with a rubber hammer to get a super accurate outline/impression. Then took it off to cut out. It got wrinkled in a couple of places.

Having the template made allowed me to draw exactly where the bolt holes should be.

Here they are drawn on the TB with a Sharpie. My initial plan, and what the original person did, was to fill the bolt holes and re-drill them. Now I think that I will just expand them.

http://s330.photobucket.com/user/Black_S...?sort=3&o=2

This is the only spot that I'm kinda worried about. It very well looks like the bolt might come out of the TB and go back in. I'm going to try it anyway. If I have to get the holes filled later it won't matter if I made them bigger.

Tomorrow I hope to expand the holes and see if I can bolt the two together. If all goes well I should be able to put this on in the next couple of days.

It looks like I might need to consider bolts with smaller heads. Like allen bolts or whatever you call them. I might polish the TB too but I don't know if I will. If I do I'll probably cut stainless washers to hide the cut out parts.

75mm DBW TB

Click to reveal...

2005 Grand Marquis GS Two Tone Edition

Vibrant White over Arizona Beige

The GS Two Tone Package includes:
� hood ornament
� c-pillar emblems
� LS style body side moldings
� body color mirror caps (the b-pillars are body color too, but I don't know if that is package specific)
� two tone interior (mine is leather and includes embossed logos on the seats)
� front door sill plates that say �Grand Marquis�

CarDomain

Facebook

Links
#2716985 - 06/02/13 09:16 AM Re: DBW intake mods (straight business) [Re: Black_Sunshine]
09mnsp Offline
Over the Hill

Loc: Minnesota, U.S.
Wow this is Awesome! I debated taking a chance and buying one of those throttle bodies off ebay to see if I could work with it. At that time nobody had any info out on the internet as to how exactly off the bolt holes were. Just that it wouldn't fit. Then someone did the write up with the threaded rod idea. I could of saved myself a bunch of money. Can't wait to hear how it runs!
Custom tubular rear control arms by Tink, ADTR sway bars by Eibach, Lowered, Detroit Trutrac/Motive 4.30, J-modded, Circle D multi disc 3600-3700 stall, OBX LT's and 2.5" X-pipe, 2.5" Dynomax ultraflows into 3" mandrel bent tail pipes, HI Tech stage2 cams, Dragon Oval Plenum/60mm GT500 TB, Steeda Underdrives, Dyno Tuned By APSAutoworks 281rwhp/297rwtq

#2716996 - 06/02/13 10:20 AM Re: DBW intake mods (straight business) [Re: 09mnsp]
4406 Offline
Climber

Loc: Brazil, Indiana
Nice mod! what year F-150?
"Big" Dave , 2008 Crown Victoria P71 "Mad Max", 95,000 miles, OBX long tube headers, Cat delete, x-pipe, 2.5" 40 series muffs, 4.10 Trac-lok, Kenne Bell 2.2 supercharger,air to water intercooled, Lightning 90MAF, 39# Cobra injectors, Boost a pump, TR3650 5 Speed, Steeda clutch quadrant, BOC tuned, 15% Llumar window tint, tucked bumper, Mach 1 chin spoiler, Marauder spoiler, battery in trunk,

TR3650 Swap thread.
https://www.crownvic.net/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2697157#Post2697157

#2717002 - 06/02/13 10:43 AM Re: DBW intake mods (straight business) [Re: Black_Sunshine]
BigMerc96 Offline

I know nothing
Posting Addict

Loc: I can see Detroit from here!
I've been thinking about this since I first brought it up probably a year ago in one of the many DBW threads. I think the easiest solution and probably the neatest one is to make a aluminum adapter plate for it like what 03redvicsport did to fit a stock plenum on the edlebrock intake. Added benefit: intake spacer!! lol. Plus, you could use stock gaskets (4.6 2v on one side, 5.4 3v on the other).

EDIT: link

Edited by BigMerc96 (06/02/13 10:56 AM)
Edit Reason: added link to adapter post

2006 Audi A6 ~132k miles, stock.
1998 Mercury Grand Marquis LS HPP ~100k miles, slowly acquiring modifications.
1997 Town Car Cartier ~145k miles, Ported Plenum, Gutted Airbox, Contour E-fan Retrofit, Dual exhaust with Magnaflows, cats deleted, MSD Ignition, KYB Gas-A-Justs, P71 front bar, air ride reinstated, Projector retrofit, Caddy 4-note horn retrofit, Wood rim steering wheel retrofit, holistic weight reduction as the parts fall off..
1996 Mercury Grand Marquis GS 117,485mi. R.I.P. 7/14/12 frown

#2717018 - 06/02/13 11:17 AM Re: DBW intake mods (straight business) [Re: 4406]
BlackVic_P71 Offline
Grand Poobah

Loc: LI, NY

Originally Posted By: 4406
Nice mod! what year F-150?

any 5.4L 3v

1989 Ford Crown Victoria Country Squire - 347
2005 Crown Victoria LX Sport with Stainless Works full exhaust, Addco swaybars, Heinous control arms, Powerslot rotors, Hawk HPS pads
Accufab plenum for a DBW Panther
Blue LED buttons/switches how to

#2717021 - 06/02/13 11:25 AM Re: DBW intake mods (straight business) [Re: BigMerc96]
caddylackn Offline

Loc: Bremerton, WA
They make an aftermarket spacer for the F150 throttle body that you could start with so you don't have to machine from scratch. Tons of those on Ebay but pricey $100. You would have to recess the heads of the bolts that attach the spacer to the mustang plenum and then add studs to the adapter plate to attach to the TB or just tap the spacer for the TB bolts. You would need both gaskets, the stock gasket on one side and the F-150 TB gasket on the other side.

There is an alternative idea of just filling the existing holes on the Plenum and expanding the existing mounting ears as necessary and re-drilling the pattern on the plenum for the F-150 TB. It wouldn't look pretty when done since the welds on the plenum would be visible but only one gasket needed (F-150) and 1/2 the chance for a vacuum leak. If you can weld aluminum, this seems like the easiest method.
2006 Crown Vic PI, 160K, 610 hrs, Trick Flow Plenum, F-150 DBW TB, J-mod, Steeda U/D, 2005 mustang GT wheels, BBK long tubes, BBK X-pipe w/ cats, full 2.25" exhaust, Reinhart tuned, slotted & drilled rotors, custom headlight harness

#2717031 - 06/02/13 11:58 AM Re: DBW intake mods (straight business) [Re: Black_Sunshine]
Captain_Slow Offline
Over the Hill

Loc: The People's Republic Of Ann A...
This is awesome, it's always nice to see people innovating and whatnot.

FWIW, I'd recommend filling the holes, even if it's just with some epoxy putty or whatever, it'll make drilling and tapping the new holes quite a bit easier.

Member of the 4.6 Mafia

#2717059 - 06/02/13 02:21 PM Re: DBW intake mods (straight business) [Re: BigMerc96]
Black_Sunshine Offline
Poobah

Originally Posted By: BigMerc96
I've been thinking about this since I first brought it up probably a year ago in one of the many DBW threads. I think the easiest solution and probably the neatest one is to make a aluminum adapter plate for it like what 03redvicsport did to fit a stock plenum on the edlebrock intake. Added benefit: intake spacer!! lol. Plus, you could use stock gaskets (4.6 2v on one side, 5.4 3v on the other).

EDIT: link

I actually talked to 03RedVicSport about making one for this. The problem that I ran into, maybe because I'm not smart enough, is that the holes overlap.

I'd like the spacer because neither of the parts would need to be modified then. On the other hand, these are Ford parts and I'm about to go in the garage and cut them up.

The ears don't need to be expanded because the holes are moving in. I'm not filling them because I'm going to stick a small rotary file in them and move inward.

Pics to come.

75mm DBW TB

Click to reveal...

� hood ornament
� c-pillar emblems
� body color mirror caps (the b-pillars are body color too, but I don't know if that is package specific)

CarDomain

Facebook

#2717075 - 06/02/13 03:51 PM Re: DBW intake mods (straight business) [Re: Black_Sunshine]
Black_Sunshine Offline
Poobah

The deed is done.

Virgin on the alter?

This was by the time I got to the second hole.

As I expected from looking at it, the second hole blew out.

Although this was easy it was tedious. If the bolt won't thread in easily you better take some more away.
First bolt.

Two bolts.

Close up of one of the blow outs (there are two).

Success.

Can't see the holes well for the big hole. lol

They ain't pretty but the bolts will cover them up.

The one of the left is hella bad but the bolt slides right through.

75mm DBW TB

Click to reveal...

� hood ornament
� c-pillar emblems

CarDomain

Facebook

#2717076 - 06/02/13 03:53 PM Re: DBW intake mods (straight business) [Re: Black_Sunshine]
Black_Sunshine Offline
Poobah

Final pic. Now I'm debating going to O'Reilly's to get the plenum install parts (hoses and clamps).

Edited by Black_Sunshine (06/02/13 03:54 PM)
Edit Reason: Aw dang, I posted the wrong pic!

75mm DBW TB

Click to reveal...

� hood ornament
� c-pillar emblems

CarDomain

Facebook

#2717077 - 06/02/13 04:00 PM Re: DBW intake mods (straight business) [Re: Black_Sunshine]
09mnsp Offline
Over the Hill

Loc: Minnesota, U.S.
Man who cares about covering up the holes lol, it fits! When are you gonna have it on the car?

I feel crappy knowing I paid 3 times as much for my BBK
Custom tubular rear control arms by Tink, ADTR sway bars by Eibach, Lowered, Detroit Trutrac/Motive 4.30, J-modded, Circle D multi disc 3600-3700 stall, OBX LT's and 2.5" X-pipe, 2.5" Dynomax ultraflows into 3" mandrel bent tail pipes, HI Tech stage2 cams, Dragon Oval Plenum/60mm GT500 TB, Steeda Underdrives, Dyno Tuned By APSAutoworks 281rwhp/297rwtq

#2717078 - 06/02/13 04:00 PM Re: DBW intake mods (straight business) [Re: Black_Sunshine]
caddylackn Offline

Loc: Bremerton, WA
The holes go inward if you choose the plenum bolt pattern (outward if you chose the F-150 bolt pattern). If you chose the plenum bolt pattern is there enough room on the other side of the F-150 TB to get bolts into the holes without interference of the outside TB body? If so, then slotting the holes is the easy way to go. I would use the F-150 gasket and check it for port match with a marker. You might need to port match this Frankenstein anyway a little.

Before you drill, transcribe the marks to the other side of the TB and see if you can fit a correct size nut over the hole mark and still spin it. From your photos it looks like it will be pretty close, maybe not enough to get a socket on the bolt head because of interference.

My question is will the CV harness plug right into the F-150 TB?
2006 Crown Vic PI, 160K, 610 hrs, Trick Flow Plenum, F-150 DBW TB, J-mod, Steeda U/D, 2005 mustang GT wheels, BBK long tubes, BBK X-pipe w/ cats, full 2.25" exhaust, Reinhart tuned, slotted & drilled rotors, custom headlight harness

#2717084 - 06/02/13 04:17 PM Re: DBW intake mods (straight business) [Re: caddylackn]
Black_Sunshine Offline
Poobah

Originally Posted By: caddylackn
The holes go inward if you choose the plenum bolt pattern (outward if you chose the F-150 bolt pattern). If you chose the plenum bolt pattern is there enough room on the other side of the F-150 TB to get bolts into the holes without interference of the outside TB body? If so, then slotting the holes is the easy way to go. I would use the F-150 gasket and check it for port match with a marker. You might need to port match this Frankenstein anyway a little.

Before you drill, transcribe the marks to the other side of the TB and see if you can fit a correct size nut over the hole mark and still spin it. From your photos it looks like it will be pretty close, maybe not enough to get a socket on the bolt head because of interference.

My question is will the CV harness plug right into the F-150 TB?

I don't think you looked at the pics.

I elongated the holes using a rotary file. You maybe could have adjusted the plenum but I didn't want to modify it because it has resale value.

I'm probably going to shove in this piece of cardboard that I cut out in lieu of a gasket. I don't think it will leak because the air will want to go through the 75mm hole. As you can see in the final pic the TB never closes either. I guess that it would leak when closed if it's going to.

I didn't drill any of this. I used a carbide bit in my Dremel. It's essentially a really small rotary file. Carbide goes to town on aluminum.

75mm DBW TB

Click to reveal...

� hood ornament
� c-pillar emblems

CarDomain

Facebook

#2717097 - 06/02/13 05:09 PM Re: DBW intake mods (straight business) [Re: Black_Sunshine]
Black_Sunshine Offline
Poobah

So, I went to O'Reilly's. They only sell hose in 1ft sections. I asked if their calculators and computers couldn't do decimals? They were out of 1/2" fuel line.

Went to Napa. I forgot it's Sunday.

Went to Vatozone. No 1/2" fuel line either. They suggested that I use heater hose. lol Been there, done that.

I didn't bother checking if CarQuest was open. There local store is a piggy-back deal on a Caterpillar shop. They probably have what I want but they probably aren't open.

So, it's a no go today. I might call an all Ford j/y and see if I can get the '04+ P71 air box though.

75mm DBW TB

Click to reveal...

� hood ornament
� c-pillar emblems

CarDomain

Facebook

#2717098 - 06/02/13 05:10 PM Re: DBW intake mods (straight business) [Re: Black_Sunshine]
Meteor545 Offline

Loc: alberta
good work. junkyard here i come

Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 >

Who's Online
2 registered (SpitShine_PL, SDHOUHK07), 44 Guests and 87 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box

Top Posters (30 Days)
Old_Guy_Stu 100
bluejay_32 97
Dmblanch 73
a_d_a_m 59
RF_Overlord 45
GM_Guy 44
Moby_Vic 33
Tenevic_P71 33
SocalSam 32
Ponyguy 32
Member Spotlight

Copyright 2000-2015 by Crownvic.net and Steve Spaulding. All Rights Reserved.
The photographs, graphics and data contained in this Web site are the properties of the contributors, or Crownvic.net and may not be used without expressed written consent.
Crownvic.net is not affiliated with the Ford motor company.

Happily consuming the fuel saved by Prius owners!