Make payments with PayPal - it's fast, free and secure! registry | CVN on Facebook | tech | news | email login Make payments with PayPal - it's fast, free and secure!

Welcome to CVN - Your Panther platform headquarters!

Custom Search

Page 4 of 9 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 >
Topic Options
#2719074 - 06/07/13 12:30 AM Re: DBW intake mods (straight business) [Re: Black_Sunshine]
Black_Sunshine Offline
Poobah

Loc: AZ
Here's a shot from the left side looking at the brake booster vac line, the PCV line and the other (?) one.

From the front.

I'm really happy with the way the PCV came out. The other hose looks all crazy. I'm going to go to the junkyard and get another of the plastic hoses like the one under it and fab a nice custom one that will look as nice as the PCV. I think they can be bent with heat but I'm not sure I didn't need to for the PCV.

After all that was done I had to put the TB on. I had the original gasket but it would need to be port matched. I didn't feel like doing that. I just stuck my template in there instead.

And the TB on. Getting the TB on was super easy. As easy as it came off. Well not that easy. Once you have two bolts in it's that easy. The second bolt can be a little tricky because the holes are all slots. lol I had to swap my electronics and put my TPS on it. I just put them on and didn't mess with the idle screw. Everything seems fine.

Believe it or not we have come to the hardest part. The dang zip tube is too small!! lol

I tried to shove it on there. I tried to heat it up and shove it on there. I got it so hot I had to wear leather glove. It wasn't happening.

I kept thinking of the spreader tool that they use in exhaust shops. Then it came to me, I needed a conical shaped thing that I could shove it down on while heating it.

Obviously I needed to go to the kitchen to find such an object. I found a Grey Goose shaker lid. I checked and it was 75mm. Boon!!! I set the lid on the floor and started heating the tube. Then I jammed it on there and heated it some more. Then I beat it on the floor. Finally I got it all the way in there and was confident the opening was nice and uniform.

Then I got some pliers and yanked the crazy hot Grey Goose shaker lid out of the tube and immediately shoved it on the TB. I didn't know if it would shrink and I didn't want to find out.

Got that Grey Goose?

Then you wouldn't believe what I found out next! The clamp was too small!! I took two clamps and put them together. The were much too large.

I had to go to O'Reilly's and get a clamp. I still need to trim the clamp.

Once it was all done I took it to the store to get celebratory beer. It all seemed to work and no CELs. I'll keep you posted if I have problems. I'm still not running the 80mm box.

75mm DBW TB

Click to reveal...

2005 Grand Marquis GS Two Tone Edition

Vibrant White over Arizona Beige

The GS Two Tone Package includes:
� hood ornament
� c-pillar emblems
� LS style body side moldings
� body color mirror caps (the b-pillars are body color too, but I don't know if that is package specific)
� two tone interior (mine is leather and includes embossed logos on the seats)
� front door sill plates that say �Grand Marquis�

CarDomain

Facebook

Links
#2719085 - 06/07/13 12:55 AM Re: DBW intake mods (straight business) [Re: Black_Sunshine]
sm41 Offline
Over the Hill

Loc: Wilmington, NC
Getting that zip tube on a 75mm TB is an absolute [censored]. Bad enough in the summer, damn near impossible in the winter.

2001 Crown Vic, 125k miles. Intake, exhaust, tune, 3.73s. Mr. Viccles
'89 Mustang LX. 5.0, T5, GT40 build incoming. Marengo
'89 Jeep Cherokee. AX-15 5 speed swap, 3" lift, 30" mismatched tires. el Burro
'86 Mustang GT. Napoleon Blownapart. R.I.P. in pieces
-Steven
Originally Posted By: Moby_Vic
And I knew a boat wasn't a good idea for a standoff. I hope Wrinklypants realizes that now.

#2719139 - 06/07/13 07:28 AM Re: DBW intake mods (straight business) [Re: sm41]
BlackVic_P71 Offline
Grand Poobah

Loc: LI, NY
Originally Posted By: sm41
Getting that zip tube on a 75mm TB is an absolute [censored]. Bad enough in the summer, damn near impossible in the winter.

Not on the BBK, it's a perfect fit. I guess the stock Ford TB's are a bit thicker at the front end.

1989 Ford Crown Victoria Country Squire - 347
2005 Crown Victoria LX Sport with Stainless Works full exhaust, Addco swaybars, Heinous control arms, Powerslot rotors, Hawk HPS pads
Accufab plenum for a DBW Panther
Blue LED buttons/switches how to

#2719149 - 06/07/13 08:44 AM Re: DBW intake mods (straight business) [Re: Black_Sunshine]
sm41 Offline
Over the Hill

I'm running a Professional Products plenum/tb. That is worth noting though. It would ease frustration by a couple magnitudes.

-Steven
And I knew a boat wasn't a good idea for a standoff. I hope Wrinklypants realizes that now.

#2719154 - 06/07/13 09:11 AM Re: DBW intake mods (straight business) [Re: Black_Sunshine]
Black_Sunshine Offline
Poobah

I think my tube is permanently bigger now. lol

75mm DBW TB

Click to reveal...

� hood ornament
� c-pillar emblems
� body color mirror caps (the b-pillars are body color too, but I don't know if that is package specific)

CarDomain

Facebook

#2719155 - 06/07/13 09:12 AM Re: DBW intake mods (straight business) [Re: Black_Sunshine]
Black_Sunshine Offline
Poobah

Ironically I noticed that the MAF end of the tube fits right on the TB.

75mm DBW TB

Click to reveal...

� hood ornament
� c-pillar emblems

CarDomain

Facebook

#2719191 - 06/07/13 11:25 AM Re: DBW intake mods (straight business) [Re: sm41]
BlackVic_P71 Offline
Grand Poobah

I'm running a Professional Products plenum/tb. That is worth noting though. It would ease frustration by a couple magnitudes.

How?

2005 Crown Victoria LX Sport with Stainless Works full exhaust, Addco swaybars, Heinous control arms, Powerslot rotors, Hawk HPS pads

#2719218 - 06/07/13 12:53 PM Re: DBW intake mods (straight business) [Re: BlackVic_P71]
Black_Sunshine Offline
Poobah

Originally Posted By: BlackVic_P71

How?

I think he's talking about the technique I used to stretch mine.

I was starting to think I'd have to go get a different tube. Then I became determined to stretch it.

75mm DBW TB

Click to reveal...

� hood ornament
� c-pillar emblems

CarDomain

Facebook

#2719246 - 06/07/13 02:50 PM Re: DBW intake mods (straight business) [Re: Black_Sunshine]
sm41 Offline
Over the Hill

Originally Posted By: Black_Sunshine
Originally Posted By: BlackVic_P71

How?

I think he's talking about the technique I used to stretch mine.

I was starting to think I'd have to go get a different tube. Then I became determined to stretch it.
Yes. It took me almost an hour of grunting, tugging, and pulling to get it on the first time. I think mine has since stretched.

-Steven

#2719247 - 06/07/13 02:53 PM Re: DBW intake mods (straight business) [Re: Black_Sunshine]
BillyBishop Offline
Expert mechanic
Poobah

Loc: KY
For what it's worth, 05+ tubes are really hard and rigid vs the rubbery stuff from earlier years. That said, fitting an 04 zip tube over a 78mm tb isn't very fun either.

1985 2 door vic-------2003 P71: Lots of mods-----1994 Buick Toastmaster
Past: 2002 P71, 1996 LTC, 2003 P71

#2719249 - 06/07/13 03:00 PM Re: DBW intake mods (straight business) [Re: BillyBishop]
Black_Sunshine Offline
Poobah

The 1/2" that clamps is rubbery but the tube itself is plastic. The clamping surface of the TB is about 3/4" so you need to get the plastic part on it.

Originally Posted By: BillyBishop
For what it's worth, 05+ tubes are really hard and rigid vs the rubbery stuff from earlier years. That said, fitting an 04 zip tube over a 78mm tb isn't very fun either.

The '04 ones that I've seen seem to have a swell just before the TB. They look tougher than the '05+ tubes but I don't really care.

75mm DBW TB

Click to reveal...

� hood ornament
� c-pillar emblems

CarDomain

Facebook

#2719328 - 06/07/13 08:17 PM Re: DBW intake mods (straight business) [Re: BillyBishop]
KayTar Offline

Poobah

Loc: Alberta, Canada
Originally Posted By: BillyBishop
fitting an 04 zip tube over a 78mm tb isn't very fun either.

Did that on my 2003 with the same 78MM BBK unit you have,
It was a nice hot day and I left my tube in the sun haha

#2719686 - 06/08/13 08:38 PM Re: DBW intake mods (straight business) [Re: Black_Sunshine]
213Shieldefender Offline

Loc: San Gabriel Valley, CA
Originally Posted By: Black_Sunshine

Looks good! Any noticeable change in performance?
2005 Crown Victoria LX Sport, 97k mi, MZT, BOC 87 Octane tune, ported & polished plenum, 35% tint, Federal Signal LED CHMSL, eBay LED taillights, Headlamp Relay Upgrade, Mach 1 chin spoiler, P71 140 mph cluster, carbon fiber interior trim
(Coming soon) 09+ recessed window switches
2008 GMC Yukon SLE, 23k mi, center console, LED tail lights, Tahoe PPV wiper arms, body side molding delete

"It is the soldier, not the reporter, who has given us freedom of the press. It is the soldier, not the poet, who has given us freedom of speech. It is the soldier, not the campus organizer, who has given us the freedom to demonstrate. It is the soldier, who salutes the flag, who serves beneath the flag, and whose coffin is draped by the flag, who allows the protester to burn the flag." - Father Denis Edward O'Brien, USMC

#2719702 - 06/08/13 09:08 PM Re: DBW intake mods (straight business) [Re: Black_Sunshine]
Black_Sunshine Offline
Poobah

So far I'm not seeing much in the way of gains because I have to run the civilian air box until I get a tune. I can tell it really comes on different at the higher RPMs. The TB is noticeable too because you don't need as much throttle to let the same amount of air in.

75mm DBW TB

Click to reveal...

� hood ornament
� c-pillar emblems

CarDomain

Facebook

#2719737 - 06/08/13 10:32 PM Re: DBW intake mods (straight business) [Re: Black_Sunshine]
BlackVic_P71 Offline
Grand Poobah

Even with stock exhaust(manifolds and cats I mean), I felt the larger TB about mid range. With LT's and full exhaust behind it, it's like a kick in the rear at half throttle.

Page 4 of 9 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 >

Who's Online
2 registered (Armada Master, 1 invisible), 50 Guests and 86 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box

Top Posters (30 Days)
bluejay_32 108
Old_Guy_Stu 92
Dmblanch 76
a_d_a_m 52
RF_Overlord 47
GM_Guy 44
Moby_Vic 38
SocalSam 35
Ponyguy 31
Tenevic_P71 31
Member Spotlight

Copyright 2000-2015 by Crownvic.net and Steve Spaulding. All Rights Reserved.
The photographs, graphics and data contained in this Web site are the properties of the contributors, or Crownvic.net and may not be used without expressed written consent.
Crownvic.net is not affiliated with the Ford motor company.

Happily consuming the fuel saved by Prius owners!