Make payments with PayPal - it's fast, free and secure! registry | CVN on Facebook | tech | news | email login Make payments with PayPal - it's fast, free and secure!

Welcome to CVN - Your Panther platform headquarters!

Custom Search

Page 6 of 9 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 >
Topic Options
#2725716 - 06/23/13 03:24 PM Re: DBW intake mods (straight business) [Re: caddylackn]
ImpulseRocket89 Offline
Over the Hill

Loc: Omaha, NE USA
Originally Posted By: caddylackn
I should have painted the plenum satin black or cast aluminum.

I had the same thought after I got mine installed. At the very least ordered the black PC one. Ah well though, I don't entirely care how it looks, as I don't show my car.

I will have to consider some of the work you did, if I decide to redo mine, for the hose routing though. Definitely much cleaner looking that way.
2005 Crown Vic LX: Eaton 1.5" P71 drop springs & KYB Gas-A-Just P71 shocks. Heinous Control arms. Addco sway bars. 18x8.5 Fanblades. Mini D2S Projector retrofit - 50W w/ 5000k. Mach 1 Chin Spoiler, Kenwood head unit, upgraded speakers, Infinity Bass-link. Cryostop Rotors, and Porterfield R4S Pads. Trickflow Upper plenum, AFe Stage 2 intake, Steeda UD Pulleys, Catco high flow cats, Factory Duals w/magnaflow 11224's, MMC Driveshaft w/ Fabtech spacer, BOC Tune.
1988 Isuzu Impulse Turbo: Torn to bits, being built and collecting dust. (2.6L engine, 7670 EFR, MUA-5 trans etc. etc.)

Links
#2725724 - 06/23/13 04:20 PM Re: DBW intake mods (straight business) [Re: Black_Sunshine]
Black_Sunshine Offline
Poobah

Loc: AZ
I used the three elbows, including the two that have the OEM quick connect ribs on them, to accomplish basically the same thing.

I could have used the straight barb for the brake booster but it felt like it blended in more if I used the 45* one and doubled it back. I tried it both ways and decided on the doubled back one. I did cut about 6" off of the brake booster line.

It took a little tweaking to get the two quick connectors situated beside each other.

I still plan to make a custom line for the AC vac line (I don't really know what that one is).

I figured that it would be fine if the lines were laying on the bracket over the EGR. Mine don't but it probably would be fine. As long as none of them actually touch the EGR tube.

75mm DBW TB

Click to reveal...

2005 Grand Marquis GS Two Tone Edition

Vibrant White over Arizona Beige

The GS Two Tone Package includes:
� hood ornament
� c-pillar emblems
� LS style body side moldings
� body color mirror caps (the b-pillars are body color too, but I don't know if that is package specific)
� two tone interior (mine is leather and includes embossed logos on the seats)
� front door sill plates that say �Grand Marquis�

CarDomain

Facebook

#2725743 - 06/23/13 05:36 PM Re: DBW intake mods (straight business) [Re: caddylackn]
BlackVic_P71 Offline
Grand Poobah

Loc: LI, NY
Just use the "IMG" option from the links on the right
Originally Posted By: caddylackn

Here are some photos:
Final Hose Routing, notice the hoses are all over the EGR pipe heat shield. Putting the booster hose on the lower port on the plenum would have routed it next to the EGR tube and under the bracket. I didn't want these touching.

Moving the Brake Booster Port to the IAC and moving the PCV port up over the heat shield.

Finished picture, I should have painted the plenum satin black or cast aluminum.

Edited by BlackVic_P71 (06/23/13 05:40 PM)

1989 Ford Crown Victoria Country Squire - 347
2005 Crown Victoria LX Sport with Stainless Works full exhaust, Addco swaybars, Heinous control arms, Powerslot rotors, Hawk HPS pads
Accufab plenum for a DBW Panther
Blue LED buttons/switches how to

#2725798 - 06/23/13 08:52 PM Re: DBW intake mods (straight business) [Re: Black_Sunshine]
caddylackn Offline

Loc: Bremerton, WA
Originally Posted By: Black_Sunshine
I used the three elbows, including the two that have the OEM quick connect ribs on them, to accomplish basically the same thing.

I didn't have that option as I did not want to pull the factory plenum elbows in case I sell my factory plenum and TB, plus the Trick Flow ports were threaded except for the IAC. When I put the straight barb fitting it came with down there and hooked up the hose it ended up right next to the EGR hose and under the heat shield to get cooked. I didn't want a future vacuum leak on the brake booster line. If I would have pulled the factory elbows out of the plenum I would have done it the same as yours. Obviously Trick Flow never intended for this plenum to be installed backward on a Crown Vic or they would have moved the lower port somewhere it made sense.

Your Accufab looks way better than my Trick Flow. I had bad sand casting marks inside the plenum where the sand casting form halves were not perfectly aligned. I smoothed them a little but the whole inside needs sanding & polishing. You get what you pay for. I am not going to make enough HP where it would matter.

The good news is that we now have multiple options for DBW cars for upgrading the plenum and TB. I went the total cheap ass route:

F-150 3V TB: Ebay special........$58 shipped
TF Plenum:bought on this forum....$85 shipped
3/8" iron fittings... .Lowe's........$6
New 4" clamp....Lowe's ............$2
New 1' of 5/8" vacuum..Autozone....$2 actually 19/32"
New 2' of 3/8" fuel hose. Autozone.$3
New TB gasket...Autozone...........$2
2-- 1/2" Pex elbows...Lowes........$4
4--3/4" clamps..Autozone...........$3

Total..............................$165

If I wanted I know I can sell my Plenum and TB for at least $65, so total cost around $100. Now I know this mod is overkill on a stock motor, but I have other mods coming.

Test Ride 2

I reset my computer and took it for another test run. On first start up it takes a few minutes to learn the new TB and get the idle down. It idles a little high for a few miles and you can tell when you coast in gear. After a few miles and a few stops it settles down to normal idle. There is definitely more throttle response and a much more sensitive throttle. No codes. Another wide open pull going on the freeway you can feel an added rush in acceleration above 3K. It feels like a little torque is lost at below 1,800 rpms at WOT. This is a bone stock motor with a 75mm TB and plenum and this was expected but it was not very noticeable. This may be more of an issue with 2.73 gears versus the 3.55s I have.
2006 Crown Vic PI, 160K, 610 hrs, Trick Flow Plenum, F-150 DBW TB, J-mod, Steeda U/D, 2005 mustang GT wheels, BBK long tubes, BBK X-pipe w/ cats, full 2.25" exhaust, Reinhart tuned, slotted & drilled rotors, custom headlight harness

#2725860 - 06/23/13 11:59 PM Re: DBW intake mods (straight business) [Re: Black_Sunshine]
Black_Sunshine Offline
Poobah

The Accufab that I have has casting marks inside. They were already smoothed down. Mine was still full of oil when I got it. I shot it with brake cleaner. I thought about polishing it but I'm way to lazy. Besides, it's just going to get full of oil again.

I pulled the elbows from mine on the premise that anyone buying it would already have those elbows on their current plenum.

75mm DBW TB

Click to reveal...

� hood ornament
� c-pillar emblems
� body color mirror caps (the b-pillars are body color too, but I don't know if that is package specific)

CarDomain

Facebook

#2736492 - 07/19/13 06:10 PM Re: DBW intake mods (straight business) [Re: Black_Sunshine]
LapJ Offline
Climber

Loc: Montreal, Canada
Did the mod today w accufab plenum, all went good but I have a question

The damn tube from the filter is 80mm on the filter side but 65mm on the tb side, I ve put a rubber cuppler that use on pvc pipe but i had to put it over the stock tube all work ok but the damn tube still to small to keep 80mm of flow

What did you guys use to make it fit, even if i stretch the end it will still have a portion of the tube that will be 65mm

And I notice that the kickdown is not reacting like it was

Is that because i reset my pcm or it only can be corrected with a tune?

Thanks
2005 Quebec city police interceptor, BOC tune,KOOKS long tube w customs 2.5" full exhaust,75mm DBW throttle body,Accufab plenum,Ford Racing 3.73 gear, JMOD, R1 concept cross drilled premium rotor with HAWK HPS pads on 4 corners,Henious rear control arm, steeda underdrive pulley,marauder cluster swap,headlamp harness upgraded Kicker zr 800 old school amp, Orion 12" sub

JMOD done: 4

#2736494 - 07/19/13 06:16 PM Re: DBW intake mods (straight business) [Re: LapJ]
BlackVic_P71 Offline
Grand Poobah

Originally Posted By: LapJ

And I notice that the kickdown is not reacting like it was
Is that because i reset my pcm or it only can be corrected with a tune?
Thanks

Give that a few days to reset, the car has to get used to the larger TB.
Do you currently have the BOC tune installed? That may have something to do with it as well.

2005 Crown Victoria LX Sport with Stainless Works full exhaust, Addco swaybars, Heinous control arms, Powerslot rotors, Hawk HPS pads

#2736511 - 07/19/13 07:26 PM Re: DBW intake mods (straight business) [Re: Black_Sunshine]
LapJ Offline
Climber

Yep i have a tune BUT not a tune for all my new mod (long tube, full exhaust, accufab an throttle body)
2005 Quebec city police interceptor, BOC tune,KOOKS long tube w customs 2.5" full exhaust,75mm DBW throttle body,Accufab plenum,Ford Racing 3.73 gear, JMOD, R1 concept cross drilled premium rotor with HAWK HPS pads on 4 corners,Henious rear control arm, steeda underdrive pulley,marauder cluster swap,headlamp harness upgraded Kicker zr 800 old school amp, Orion 12" sub

#2736513 - 07/19/13 07:32 PM Re: DBW intake mods (straight business) [Re: LapJ]
BlackVic_P71 Offline
Grand Poobah

The tune may make the computer less adaptive to changes like the larger TB, shouldn't be a problem with the LTs and exhaust.

#2736740 - 07/20/13 09:02 AM Re: DBW intake mods (straight business) [Re: Black_Sunshine]
LapJ Offline
Climber

Which intake tube should i get to have a true 80mm

Maybe a modified tube from a f250? Custom piping? K&n cold air?
Mustang tube?

#2736809 - 07/20/13 12:21 PM Re: DBW intake mods (straight business) [Re: LapJ]
Black_Sunshine Offline
Poobah

Mustang tube?

What's the point? You can't get an 80mm TB anyway. It will have to neck down there.

75mm DBW TB

Click to reveal...

� hood ornament
� c-pillar emblems

CarDomain

Facebook

#2736914 - 07/20/13 04:40 PM Re: DBW intake mods (straight business) [Re: Black_Sunshine]
LapJ Offline
Climber

Lol sorry i would like to have 75mm on the intake side and and 80 on the maf side

The stock tube fit IN the new throttle not outside like supposed to

#2736948 - 07/20/13 05:59 PM Re: DBW intake mods (straight business) [Re: LapJ]
BlackVic_P71 Offline
Grand Poobah

Mustang tube?

The K&N has a 70mm MAF housing. To get it to fit right and keep a uniform size I'd say have somebody bend you some exhaust pipe to match the curve, add the MAF housing and PCV connection.

#2736973 - 07/20/13 07:20 PM Re: DBW intake mods (straight business) [Re: BlackVic_P71]
LapJ Offline
Climber

Originally Posted By: BlackVic_P71

Mustang tube?

The K&N has a 70mm MAF housing. To get it to fit right and keep a uniform size I'd say have somebody bend you some exhaust pipe to match the curve, add the MAF housing and PCV connection.

Exacty that was my idea to buy a 45deg and a strait 3.5" piping and weld it together

Will do that next week

#2764537 - 10/05/13 05:35 PM Re: DBW intake mods (straight business) [Re: Black_Sunshine]
BlaineB Offline
Over the Hill

Loc: Indiana
Very nice! Love OEM parts.......so much cheaper than aftermarket with the same end result!

Page 6 of 9 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 >

Who's Online
2 registered (bluejay_32, triplej057), 45 Guests and 98 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box

Top Posters (30 Days)
Old_Guy_Stu 100
bluejay_32 99
Dmblanch 73
a_d_a_m 59
RF_Overlord 45
GM_Guy 44
Moby_Vic 33
Tenevic_P71 33
SocalSam 32
Ponyguy 32
Member Spotlight

Copyright 2000-2015 by Crownvic.net and Steve Spaulding. All Rights Reserved.
The photographs, graphics and data contained in this Web site are the properties of the contributors, or Crownvic.net and may not be used without expressed written consent.
Crownvic.net is not affiliated with the Ford motor company.

Happily consuming the fuel saved by Prius owners!