Make payments with PayPal - it's fast, free and secure! registry | CVN on Facebook | tech | news | email login Make payments with PayPal - it's fast, free and secure!

Welcome to CVN - Your Panther platform headquarters!

Custom Search

Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 >
Topic Options
#2716942 - 06/02/13 01:39 AM DBW intake mods (straight business)
Black_Sunshine Offline
Poobah

Loc: AZ
Ever since I signed up with CVN I've been looking for the optimum intake upgrade. There even was a time when I almost bought a CAI. After reading the MZT thread in the BoK I decided that a CAI just isn't necessary. The other problem that I faced was that I want more than just the MZT.

The first two years I was a member here were plagued with naysayers that said that DBW would never have TB upgrades. It might have even been said that you can't put an aftermarket plenum on a DBW 2V.

There have been a few innovators so far. BlackVic_P71 was the first poster to put an aftermarket plenum on a DBW. He made a write-up here. It looks like the DBW motor actually accepts the plenum with less mods because we can use the IAC as a vacuum port.

So, with the filter box and tube taken care of by the MZT and the plenum taken care of by BlackVic_P71's brave innovation with an aftermarket plenum the only thing left is the TB.

The TB has been a sticking point in DBW discussions because it's such a specialized part. The 2V DBW 4.6L was only offered in Panthers. It only came with a 65mm TB.

But, alas, we have options. There are at least two off the shelf options available. The 70mm BBK TB designed for use on 4.0L Mustangs will bolt right up. I think there's a 75mm that will bolt right up too.

This isn't about that. I've been terribly jealous of the super cheap F150 & Econoline TB swaps. At some point or another someone posted a pic of how to modify a 3V 75mm DBW plenum from a late model F150. It's super hard to find that one obscure post so I'm not going to link it. It's out there somewhere.

Finally, I've come out with it. That's what this thread is all about putting a 75mm TB from a 3V F150 on our motors. I finally got the plenum today and I've already started messing with it. I can't wait any longer.

So here's the pics and how to do the modifications.

Here's the TB mocked up against the Accufab plenum to show how it fits the plenum that it was never made to fit.

Here's looking down the barrel. You can see how the air just wants to fly into this setup. It started to suck as soon as I put them together! Note how there's no bolt holes. That's the problem.

I quickly traced out a piece of cardboard to make a gasket/template. (Its a template now but I might bolt it in there later.) I traced it, cut out the bolt holes that I could get a pencil in, and bolted it on.

Then I beat it with a rubber hammer to get a super accurate outline/impression. Then took it off to cut out. It got wrinkled in a couple of places.

Having the template made allowed me to draw exactly where the bolt holes should be.

Here they are drawn on the TB with a Sharpie. My initial plan, and what the original person did, was to fill the bolt holes and re-drill them. Now I think that I will just expand them.

http://s330.photobucket.com/user/Black_S...?sort=3&o=2

This is the only spot that I'm kinda worried about. It very well looks like the bolt might come out of the TB and go back in. I'm going to try it anyway. If I have to get the holes filled later it won't matter if I made them bigger.

Tomorrow I hope to expand the holes and see if I can bolt the two together. If all goes well I should be able to put this on in the next couple of days.

It looks like I might need to consider bolts with smaller heads. Like allen bolts or whatever you call them. I might polish the TB too but I don't know if I will. If I do I'll probably cut stainless washers to hide the cut out parts.

75mm DBW TB

Click to reveal...

2005 Grand Marquis GS Two Tone Edition

Vibrant White over Arizona Beige

The GS Two Tone Package includes:
� hood ornament
� c-pillar emblems
� LS style body side moldings
� body color mirror caps (the b-pillars are body color too, but I don't know if that is package specific)
� two tone interior (mine is leather and includes embossed logos on the seats)
� front door sill plates that say �Grand Marquis�

CarDomain

Facebook

Links
#2716985 - 06/02/13 09:16 AM Re: DBW intake mods (straight business) [Re: Black_Sunshine]
09mnsp Offline
Over the Hill

Loc: Minnesota, U.S.
Wow this is Awesome! I debated taking a chance and buying one of those throttle bodies off ebay to see if I could work with it. At that time nobody had any info out on the internet as to how exactly off the bolt holes were. Just that it wouldn't fit. Then someone did the write up with the threaded rod idea. I could of saved myself a bunch of money. Can't wait to hear how it runs!
Custom tubular rear control arms by Tink, ADTR sway bars by Eibach, Lowered, Detroit Trutrac/Motive 4.30, J-modded, Circle D multi disc 3600-3700 stall, OBX LT's and 2.5" X-pipe, 2.5" Dynomax ultraflows into 3" mandrel bent tail pipes, HI Tech stage2 cams, Dragon Oval Plenum/60mm GT500 TB, Steeda Underdrives, Dyno Tuned By APSAutoworks 281rwhp/297rwtq

#2716996 - 06/02/13 10:20 AM Re: DBW intake mods (straight business) [Re: 09mnsp]
4406 Offline
Climber

Loc: Brazil, Indiana
Nice mod! what year F-150?
"Big" Dave , 2008 Crown Victoria P71 "Mad Max", 95,000 miles, OBX long tube headers, Cat delete, x-pipe, 2.5" 40 series muffs, 4.10 Trac-lok, Kenne Bell 2.2 supercharger,air to water intercooled, Lightning 90MAF, 39# Cobra injectors, Boost a pump, TR3650 5 Speed, Steeda clutch quadrant, BOC tuned, 15% Llumar window tint, tucked bumper, Mach 1 chin spoiler, Marauder spoiler, battery in trunk,

TR3650 Swap thread.
https://www.crownvic.net/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2697157#Post2697157

#2717002 - 06/02/13 10:43 AM Re: DBW intake mods (straight business) [Re: Black_Sunshine]
BigMerc96 Offline

I know nothing
Posting Addict

Loc: I can see Detroit from here!
I've been thinking about this since I first brought it up probably a year ago in one of the many DBW threads. I think the easiest solution and probably the neatest one is to make a aluminum adapter plate for it like what 03redvicsport did to fit a stock plenum on the edlebrock intake. Added benefit: intake spacer!! lol. Plus, you could use stock gaskets (4.6 2v on one side, 5.4 3v on the other).

EDIT: link

Edited by BigMerc96 (06/02/13 10:56 AM)
Edit Reason: added link to adapter post

2006 Audi A6 ~132k miles, stock.
1998 Mercury Grand Marquis LS HPP ~100k miles, slowly acquiring modifications.
1997 Town Car Cartier ~145k miles, Ported Plenum, Gutted Airbox, Contour E-fan Retrofit, Dual exhaust with Magnaflows, cats deleted, MSD Ignition, KYB Gas-A-Justs, P71 front bar, air ride reinstated, Projector retrofit, Caddy 4-note horn retrofit, Wood rim steering wheel retrofit, holistic weight reduction as the parts fall off..
1996 Mercury Grand Marquis GS 117,485mi. R.I.P. 7/14/12 frown

#2717018 - 06/02/13 11:17 AM Re: DBW intake mods (straight business) [Re: 4406]
BlackVic_P71 Offline
Grand Poobah

Loc: LI, NY

Originally Posted By: 4406
Nice mod! what year F-150?

any 5.4L 3v

1989 Ford Crown Victoria Country Squire - 347
2005 Crown Victoria LX Sport with Stainless Works full exhaust, Addco swaybars, Heinous control arms, Powerslot rotors, Hawk HPS pads
Accufab plenum for a DBW Panther
Blue LED buttons/switches how to

#2717021 - 06/02/13 11:25 AM Re: DBW intake mods (straight business) [Re: BigMerc96]
caddylackn Offline

Loc: Bremerton, WA
They make an aftermarket spacer for the F150 throttle body that you could start with so you don't have to machine from scratch. Tons of those on Ebay but pricey $100. You would have to recess the heads of the bolts that attach the spacer to the mustang plenum and then add studs to the adapter plate to attach to the TB or just tap the spacer for the TB bolts. You would need both gaskets, the stock gasket on one side and the F-150 TB gasket on the other side.

There is an alternative idea of just filling the existing holes on the Plenum and expanding the existing mounting ears as necessary and re-drilling the pattern on the plenum for the F-150 TB. It wouldn't look pretty when done since the welds on the plenum would be visible but only one gasket needed (F-150) and 1/2 the chance for a vacuum leak. If you can weld aluminum, this seems like the easiest method.
2006 Crown Vic PI, 160K, 610 hrs, Trick Flow Plenum, F-150 DBW TB, J-mod, Steeda U/D, 2005 mustang GT wheels, BBK long tubes, BBK X-pipe w/ cats, full 2.25" exhaust, Reinhart tuned, slotted & drilled rotors, custom headlight harness

#2717031 - 06/02/13 11:58 AM Re: DBW intake mods (straight business) [Re: Black_Sunshine]
Captain_Slow Offline
Over the Hill

Loc: The People's Republic Of Ann A...
This is awesome, it's always nice to see people innovating and whatnot.

FWIW, I'd recommend filling the holes, even if it's just with some epoxy putty or whatever, it'll make drilling and tapping the new holes quite a bit easier.

Member of the 4.6 Mafia

#2717059 - 06/02/13 02:21 PM Re: DBW intake mods (straight business) [Re: BigMerc96]
Black_Sunshine Offline
Poobah

Originally Posted By: BigMerc96
I've been thinking about this since I first brought it up probably a year ago in one of the many DBW threads. I think the easiest solution and probably the neatest one is to make a aluminum adapter plate for it like what 03redvicsport did to fit a stock plenum on the edlebrock intake. Added benefit: intake spacer!! lol. Plus, you could use stock gaskets (4.6 2v on one side, 5.4 3v on the other).

EDIT: link

I actually talked to 03RedVicSport about making one for this. The problem that I ran into, maybe because I'm not smart enough, is that the holes overlap.

I'd like the spacer because neither of the parts would need to be modified then. On the other hand, these are Ford parts and I'm about to go in the garage and cut them up.

The ears don't need to be expanded because the holes are moving in. I'm not filling them because I'm going to stick a small rotary file in them and move inward.

Pics to come.

75mm DBW TB

Click to reveal...

� hood ornament
� c-pillar emblems
� body color mirror caps (the b-pillars are body color too, but I don't know if that is package specific)

CarDomain

Facebook

#2717075 - 06/02/13 03:51 PM Re: DBW intake mods (straight business) [Re: Black_Sunshine]
Black_Sunshine Offline
Poobah

The deed is done.

Virgin on the alter?

This was by the time I got to the second hole.

As I expected from looking at it, the second hole blew out.

Although this was easy it was tedious. If the bolt won't thread in easily you better take some more away.
First bolt.

Two bolts.

Close up of one of the blow outs (there are two).

Success.

Can't see the holes well for the big hole. lol

They ain't pretty but the bolts will cover them up.

The one of the left is hella bad but the bolt slides right through.

75mm DBW TB

Click to reveal...

� hood ornament
� c-pillar emblems

CarDomain

Facebook

#2717076 - 06/02/13 03:53 PM Re: DBW intake mods (straight business) [Re: Black_Sunshine]
Black_Sunshine Offline
Poobah

Final pic. Now I'm debating going to O'Reilly's to get the plenum install parts (hoses and clamps).

Edited by Black_Sunshine (06/02/13 03:54 PM)
Edit Reason: Aw dang, I posted the wrong pic!

75mm DBW TB

Click to reveal...

� hood ornament
� c-pillar emblems

CarDomain

Facebook

#2717077 - 06/02/13 04:00 PM Re: DBW intake mods (straight business) [Re: Black_Sunshine]
09mnsp Offline
Over the Hill

Man who cares about covering up the holes lol, it fits! When are you gonna have it on the car?

I feel crappy knowing I paid 3 times as much for my BBK
Custom tubular rear control arms by Tink, ADTR sway bars by Eibach, Lowered, Detroit Trutrac/Motive 4.30, J-modded, Circle D multi disc 3600-3700 stall, OBX LT's and 2.5" X-pipe, 2.5" Dynomax ultraflows into 3" mandrel bent tail pipes, HI Tech stage2 cams, Dragon Oval Plenum/60mm GT500 TB, Steeda Underdrives, Dyno Tuned By APSAutoworks 281rwhp/297rwtq

#2717078 - 06/02/13 04:00 PM Re: DBW intake mods (straight business) [Re: Black_Sunshine]
caddylackn Offline

The holes go inward if you choose the plenum bolt pattern (outward if you chose the F-150 bolt pattern). If you chose the plenum bolt pattern is there enough room on the other side of the F-150 TB to get bolts into the holes without interference of the outside TB body? If so, then slotting the holes is the easy way to go. I would use the F-150 gasket and check it for port match with a marker. You might need to port match this Frankenstein anyway a little.

Before you drill, transcribe the marks to the other side of the TB and see if you can fit a correct size nut over the hole mark and still spin it. From your photos it looks like it will be pretty close, maybe not enough to get a socket on the bolt head because of interference.

My question is will the CV harness plug right into the F-150 TB?
2006 Crown Vic PI, 160K, 610 hrs, Trick Flow Plenum, F-150 DBW TB, J-mod, Steeda U/D, 2005 mustang GT wheels, BBK long tubes, BBK X-pipe w/ cats, full 2.25" exhaust, Reinhart tuned, slotted & drilled rotors, custom headlight harness

#2717084 - 06/02/13 04:17 PM Re: DBW intake mods (straight business) [Re: caddylackn]
Black_Sunshine Offline
Poobah

Originally Posted By: caddylackn
The holes go inward if you choose the plenum bolt pattern (outward if you chose the F-150 bolt pattern). If you chose the plenum bolt pattern is there enough room on the other side of the F-150 TB to get bolts into the holes without interference of the outside TB body? If so, then slotting the holes is the easy way to go. I would use the F-150 gasket and check it for port match with a marker. You might need to port match this Frankenstein anyway a little.

Before you drill, transcribe the marks to the other side of the TB and see if you can fit a correct size nut over the hole mark and still spin it. From your photos it looks like it will be pretty close, maybe not enough to get a socket on the bolt head because of interference.

My question is will the CV harness plug right into the F-150 TB?

I don't think you looked at the pics.

I elongated the holes using a rotary file. You maybe could have adjusted the plenum but I didn't want to modify it because it has resale value.

I'm probably going to shove in this piece of cardboard that I cut out in lieu of a gasket. I don't think it will leak because the air will want to go through the 75mm hole. As you can see in the final pic the TB never closes either. I guess that it would leak when closed if it's going to.

I didn't drill any of this. I used a carbide bit in my Dremel. It's essentially a really small rotary file. Carbide goes to town on aluminum.

75mm DBW TB

Click to reveal...

� hood ornament
� c-pillar emblems

CarDomain

Facebook

#2717097 - 06/02/13 05:09 PM Re: DBW intake mods (straight business) [Re: Black_Sunshine]
Black_Sunshine Offline
Poobah

So, I went to O'Reilly's. They only sell hose in 1ft sections. I asked if their calculators and computers couldn't do decimals? They were out of 1/2" fuel line.

Went to Napa. I forgot it's Sunday.

Went to Vatozone. No 1/2" fuel line either. They suggested that I use heater hose. lol Been there, done that.

I didn't bother checking if CarQuest was open. There local store is a piggy-back deal on a Caterpillar shop. They probably have what I want but they probably aren't open.

So, it's a no go today. I might call an all Ford j/y and see if I can get the '04+ P71 air box though.

75mm DBW TB

Click to reveal...

� hood ornament
� c-pillar emblems

CarDomain

Facebook

#2717098 - 06/02/13 05:10 PM Re: DBW intake mods (straight business) [Re: Black_Sunshine]
Meteor545 Offline

Loc: alberta
good work. junkyard here i come

#2717275 - 06/03/13 07:30 AM Re: DBW intake mods (straight business) [Re: Black_Sunshine]
Black_Sunshine Offline
Poobah

The all Ford j/y was closed yesterday as well. I'll give them a call tomorrow. Hopefully they don't want a million dollars for one of these air boxes. I went to a pull a part and they didn't have any '04+ which I thought was dumb.

The j/y's in the southeast seem to have the lowest online prices. They're advertising air boxes as low as $20 plus shipping.

75mm DBW TB

Click to reveal...

� hood ornament
� c-pillar emblems

CarDomain

Facebook

#2717296 - 06/03/13 09:15 AM Re: DBW intake mods (straight business) [Re: Black_Sunshine]
caddylackn Offline

Good news it fits!
I just ordered my 2005-2010 F-150 TB used off Ebay. $58 shipped

Now to find a plenum, I'll probably end up porting the stock unless I can find a smoking deal on a accufab.

#2717377 - 06/03/13 02:12 PM Re: DBW intake mods (straight business) [Re: caddylackn]
Black_Sunshine Offline
Poobah

Good news it fits!

Now to find a plenum, I'll probably end up porting the stock unless I can find a smoking deal on a accufab.

I stalked Ebay for almost six months and found mine for $100 shipped. I saw a few on Craigslist but they were around $200. Ebay can be an odd place. The one that I found had a short auction. When the auction popped up there were two that were bid over $150. The auction I won never had any bids and I sniped it with only seconds remaining because I was paranoid about shill bids.

75mm DBW TB

Click to reveal...

� hood ornament
� c-pillar emblems

CarDomain

Facebook

#2717396 - 06/03/13 03:01 PM Re: DBW intake mods (straight business) [Re: Black_Sunshine]
sm41 Offline
Over the Hill

Loc: Wilmington, NC
Originally Posted By: Black_Sunshine
The j/y's in the southeast seem to have the lowest online prices. They're advertising air boxes as low as $20 plus shipping.
Yeah we do! I know my junkyard is $35 for the box and MAF. I'd be happy to grab one, throw it in the trunk and meet you in Cleveland.

2001 Crown Vic, 125k miles. Intake, exhaust, tune, 3.73s. Mr. Viccles
'89 Mustang LX. 5.0, T5, GT40 build incoming. Marengo
'89 Jeep Cherokee. AX-15 5 speed swap, 3" lift, 30" mismatched tires. el Burro
'86 Mustang GT. Napoleon Blownapart. R.I.P. in pieces
-Steven
Originally Posted By: Moby_Vic
And I knew a boat wasn't a good idea for a standoff. I hope Wrinklypants realizes that now.

#2717463 - 06/03/13 05:45 PM Re: DBW intake mods (straight business) [Re: caddylackn]
09mnsp Offline
Over the Hill

Good news it fits!

If you're using a 75mm Throttle body it's not worth porting a stock plenum. You'd be better off using a smaller TB with a Big plenum. You will have to take away a lot of material at the opening of your stock plenum just to get a smooth transition between it and where the 75mm TB mounts. If you can't find an Accufab for cheap, at least buy an $80 Trick Flow and port it a little if you want or not. They are already 75mm and very open all the way through.

#2717465 - 06/03/13 05:49 PM Re: DBW intake mods (straight business) [Re: Black_Sunshine]
Black_Sunshine Offline
Poobah

I drove to the other side of the city to get the P71 air box. Cost $65. It was hard to swallow but I don't want to wait. Didn't even come with the sensor. Made me sick. I got the 1/2" hose at Napa too.

I think total the project has come in at $250. So that's about the same as a CAI. Obviously this is better though.

80mm P71 air box.

If I had started with a cop car this whole thing would have been cheaper. I paid $95 for the air box and zip tube.

75mm DBW TB

Click to reveal...

� hood ornament
� c-pillar emblems

CarDomain

Facebook

#2717467 - 06/03/13 05:53 PM Re: DBW intake mods (straight business) [Re: Black_Sunshine]
09mnsp Offline
Over the Hill

If I had started with a cop car this whole thing would have been cheaper. I paid $95 for the air box and zip tube.

That's silly talk, your car is Way nicer than a cop car! laugh

#2717468 - 06/03/13 05:54 PM Re: DBW intake mods (straight business) [Re: Black_Sunshine]
BlackVic_P71 Offline
Grand Poobah

I drove to the other side of the city to get the P71 air box. Cost $65. It was hard to swallow but I don't want to wait. Didn't even come with the sensor. Made me sick.

Good thing you don't need the sensor.

2005 Crown Victoria LX Sport with Stainless Works full exhaust, Addco swaybars, Heinous control arms, Powerslot rotors, Hawk HPS pads

#2717469 - 06/03/13 05:55 PM Re: DBW intake mods (straight business) [Re: 09mnsp]
Black_Sunshine Offline
Poobah

Originally Posted By: 09mnsp

That's silly talk, your car is Way nicer than a cop car! laugh

It's way shinier but it's not optioned any better.

I was just pointing that out for the P71 owners that are considering this. They get to go straight for the TB and plenum upgrades.

75mm DBW TB

Click to reveal...

� hood ornament
� c-pillar emblems

CarDomain

Facebook

#2717475 - 06/03/13 06:17 PM Re: DBW intake mods (straight business) [Re: Black_Sunshine]
213Shieldefender Offline

Loc: San Gabriel Valley, CA
Interesting cool . I take it the bolts don't move around?

Can't wait to see the final finished product with everything put together.
2005 Crown Victoria LX Sport, 97k mi, MZT, BOC 87 Octane tune, ported & polished plenum, 35% tint, Federal Signal LED CHMSL, eBay LED taillights, Headlamp Relay Upgrade, Mach 1 chin spoiler, P71 140 mph cluster, carbon fiber interior trim
(Coming soon) 09+ recessed window switches
2008 GMC Yukon SLE, 23k mi, center console, LED tail lights, Tahoe PPV wiper arms, body side molding delete

"It is the soldier, not the reporter, who has given us freedom of the press. It is the soldier, not the poet, who has given us freedom of speech. It is the soldier, not the campus organizer, who has given us the freedom to demonstrate. It is the soldier, who salutes the flag, who serves beneath the flag, and whose coffin is draped by the flag, who allows the protester to burn the flag." - Father Denis Edward O'Brien, USMC

#2717479 - 06/03/13 06:24 PM Re: DBW intake mods (straight business) [Re: Black_Sunshine]
KayTar Offline

Poobah

Loc: Alberta, Canada
I drove to the other side of the city to get the P71 air box. Cost $65. It was hard to swallow but I don't want to wait. Didn't even come with the sensor. Made me sick. I got the 1/2" hose at Napa too.

Did you put up a wanted add?
I could of got you all that for WAY less out of a local junkyard

#2717481 - 06/03/13 06:28 PM Re: DBW intake mods (straight business) [Re: Black_Sunshine]
Black_Sunshine Offline
Poobah

I couldn't resist. I had to get out there and put the box on. I won't get around to doing the custom install until Thursday when I'm off. I don't want to run into snags and be late for work or have to leave the car taken apart. (I work nights)

Here's the box comparison that really shows the drama. Both the snorkel end and the MAF end are smaller. The 80mm lid isn't compatible with the smaller one either. Oddly the smaller box seems to be better built.

Note that the hose clamp surface is the same. It's just necked down on the smaller box.

Trumpet versus Tuba.

75mm DBW TB

Click to reveal...

� hood ornament
� c-pillar emblems

CarDomain

Facebook

#2717577 - 06/03/13 09:19 PM Re: DBW intake mods (straight business) [Re: Black_Sunshine]
nastynate44 Offline

Loc: Tempe,AZ
I'm working on porting a stock plenum right now, not sure yet on p71 airbox and tune. I'm really interested in seeing how this throttle body works out and as a result I may hold off on install. I do have a question that needs clarification.

Getting a P71 box opens MAF housing to 80mm. Will I need the MAF sensor from the P71 as well? I vaguely remember reading that MAF sensor is same on civilian and P71.

#2717606 - 06/03/13 10:23 PM Re: DBW intake mods (straight business) [Re: Black_Sunshine]
crusher1122 Offline

I had my 05 p71 air box on phx craigs for $10 a few months. Sorry man.

05 p71 AED S/C, BOC Tune, AFE CAI, 2.5 exhaust with Flowmaster 40's, 17" bullitts, 255 Nitto nt555s, sound system, axle dump, tach, badgeless grill, MGM stuff, lx floor shifter, focus fogs, and some ugly paint.
2004 Toyota Tacoma http://tinyurl.com/crushers-tacoma
2001 Jeep Grand Cherokee http://tinyurl.com/WJ-build
2007 Toyota 4Runner
2009 Toyota Camry

#2717707 - 06/04/13 04:10 AM Re: DBW intake mods (straight business) [Re: nastynate44]
Black_Sunshine Offline
Poobah

Originally Posted By: nastynate44
I'm working on porting a stock plenum right now, not sure yet on p71 airbox and tune. I'm really interested in seeing how this throttle body works out and as a result I may hold off on install. I do have a question that needs clarification.

Getting a P71 box opens MAF housing to 80mm. Will I need the MAF sensor from the P71 as well? I vaguely remember reading that MAF sensor is same on civilian and P71.

It fits and the connector is the same. I'm not 100% sure that its the same though. I know I read that, although both housings are 80mm, the Marauder MAF is better. Better when you have a lot more power. It has a wider range. It uses a different connector though. I don't know if there is a range difference between the P71 and the civilian ones that we are talking about though.

*As an update

My plans might already be foiled by the tune. I'm trying to eek this whole intake mod out without a tune. Some say that you have to have a tune.

Anyway, I drove 25 miles to work with the 80mm box on. I was surprised that it really did seem different and you can definitely hear a difference.

I didn't reset the PCM.

It's two blocks from the highway to the warehouse that I work in. So, of course, I had to do a short WOT run. In a run that short (under 45) 1st does all the work. It was pulling hard but I think I heard it pinging. Either that or it was my 1400w system and Metallica's crappy drums. Their drums are really bad.

I pulled the negative cable on my break and I'll see how the ride home goes.

75mm DBW TB

Click to reveal...

� hood ornament
� c-pillar emblems

CarDomain

Facebook

#2717716 - 06/04/13 07:37 AM Re: DBW intake mods (straight business) [Re: Black_Sunshine]
BlackVic_P71 Offline
Grand Poobah

The sensor is the same part #, the tune accounts for the larger housing. Without a tune you will run lean since more air is being added to the fuel, I had the P71 airbox on for a day and got lean codes. I have no tune for my TB or exhaust currently and no codes using the stock airbox.

#2717872 - 06/04/13 05:38 PM Re: DBW intake mods (straight business) [Re: Black_Sunshine]
Black_Sunshine Offline
Poobah

So I guess I'll carry on with the plenum/TB install and just put the smaller box back on until I can get a tuner.

75mm DBW TB

Click to reveal...

� hood ornament
� c-pillar emblems

CarDomain

Facebook

#2717905 - 06/04/13 07:28 PM Re: DBW intake mods (straight business) [Re: Black_Sunshine]
09mnsp Offline
Over the Hill

You have dual exhaust on that car don't you?

#2718026 - 06/05/13 12:05 AM Re: DBW intake mods (straight business) [Re: 09mnsp]
Black_Sunshine Offline
Poobah

You have dual exhaust on that car don't you?

Yeah, it's 2.5" with an H-pipe and Flowmasters.

*Update

The pcm definitely can't handle the 80mm box. It was fine on the way home last night but today on the way in I got the CEL. I'm pretty sure that the difference is the temperature. High 80s at night and low 100s during the day.

I'm going to put the other box on and proceed with plenum & TB install. I think the restrictive box will keep everything safe and prevent CEL problems.

Then when I'm ready I can tune it for the 80mm box. I plan to get a Sniper setup as my next move.

75mm DBW TB

Click to reveal...

� hood ornament
� c-pillar emblems

CarDomain

Facebook

#2718034 - 06/05/13 12:33 AM Re: DBW intake mods (straight business) [Re: Black_Sunshine]
kyle91LTDcv Offline

Climber

Loc: Allentown, PA
are you trying to run the upper portion with the 80mm MAF without a tune?
**CURRENT PANTHER** 2003 CVLX HPP -Chestnut Metallic. 16" Y-Spoke alloys (winter) 17" LX Sport wheels (summer), factory dual exhaust, 3.27 rear end, leather interior, long overhead console, and RAS. All stock. Engine failed at 184K due to broken valve spring and replaced with an '05 town car engine. Currently around 220K miles / 75K on the engine.

**CURRENT NON-PANTHER** 2014 VW Jetta 1.8 TSI: Currently has 210K
**PREVIOUS PANTHERS** 1991 LTD CVLX (RIP): Oxford White: Mileage unknown - Odometer stopped working at 48,685miles - Succumbed to frame rust | 2003 Grand Marquis GS Convenience (RIP): Spruce Green Metallic. 90K miles (SOLD 2013), later found on a salvage website. Apparently made close friends with a pole/tree

#2718036 - 06/05/13 12:33 AM Re: DBW intake mods (straight business) [Re: Black_Sunshine]
nastynate44 Offline

Loc: Tempe,AZ
I've been going back and forth between the Sniper set-up and a Lonnie tune. I really like the idea of having control over my tune. But all the reading I've done I still don't know how much of the transmission settings you can control with Sniper. At least with Lonnie tune I know the transmission settings will be dialed in right based on so many rave reviews on this site.

#2718099 - 06/05/13 04:39 AM Re: DBW intake mods (straight business) [Re: nastynate44]
Black_Sunshine Offline
Poobah

Originally Posted By: kyle91LTDcv
are you trying to run the upper portion with the 80mm MAF without a tune?

No, I just put the 80mm box on there and all hell broke loose. Including the tires. lol

Originally Posted By: nastynate44
I've been going back and forth between the Sniper set-up and a Lonnie tune. I really like the idea of having control over my tune. But all the reading I've done I still don't know how much of the transmission settings you can control with Sniper. At least with Lonnie tune I know the transmission settings will be dialed in right based on so many rave reviews on this site.

Well, the only shift concern I have is the shift points. My actual shifts are way too badass already thanks to the JMOD. My wife hates it when I slingshot the 1-2 shift in traffic. lol

75mm DBW TB

Click to reveal...

� hood ornament
� c-pillar emblems

CarDomain

Facebook

#2718471 - 06/05/13 10:32 PM Re: DBW intake mods (straight business) [Re: Black_Sunshine]
09mnsp Offline
Over the Hill

My wife hates it when I slingshot the 1-2 shift in traffic. lol
LOL

#2718523 - 06/05/13 11:57 PM Re: DBW intake mods (straight business) [Re: Black_Sunshine]
KayTar Offline

Poobah

Newb alert
Slingshot the 1-2 shift?

#2718545 - 06/06/13 12:28 AM Re: DBW intake mods (straight business) [Re: Black_Sunshine]
sm41 Offline
Over the Hill

I'm assuming that means bark. It's fun when your tires start going bad. That bark turns into a howl, and the whole back end shimmies.

-Steven
And I knew a boat wasn't a good idea for a standoff. I hope Wrinklypants realizes that now.

#2718619 - 06/06/13 05:33 AM Re: DBW intake mods (straight business) [Re: Black_Sunshine]
Black_Sunshine Offline
Poobah

That's when you let off just before the shift, the nose drops, and then it shifts, hard.

75mm DBW TB

Click to reveal...

� hood ornament
� c-pillar emblems

CarDomain

Facebook

#2718659 - 06/06/13 10:46 AM Re: DBW intake mods (straight business) [Re: Black_Sunshine]
2007Designer Offline
Stranger

Loc: GA
Has anyone tried a Ford Throttle Body PN 8L3Z9E926C on a 2005 or later panther? 8L3Z9E926C replaced 8L3Z9E926A and is used on Expeditions and various F150's among others.

#2718882 - 06/06/13 07:45 PM Re: DBW intake mods (straight business) [Re: 2007Designer]
BlackVic_P71 Offline
Grand Poobah

Originally Posted By: 2007Designer
Has anyone tried a Ford Throttle Body PN 8L3Z9E926C on a 2005 or later panther? 8L3Z9E926C replaced 8L3Z9E926A and is used on Expeditions and various F150's among others.

That's what this one is, if not the same part # then at least the same purpose. It's off a 5.4L 3v.

#2718909 - 06/06/13 08:11 PM Re: DBW intake mods (straight business) [Re: Black_Sunshine]
Black_Sunshine Offline
Poobah

It's the -8L3Z9E926A- part number. Somewhere I heard that one of them was phased out because of a problem. I have assumed that the problem was in the electronic portion which I didn't get with this one. I'm using my electronics.

I'm actually installing right now. I came in to review the plenum install thread. lol

I might have to look up how to swap the electronics on that BBK video that I've seen floating around.

75mm DBW TB

Click to reveal...

� hood ornament
� c-pillar emblems

CarDomain

Facebook

#2719071 - 06/07/13 12:27 AM Re: DBW intake mods (straight business) [Re: Black_Sunshine]
Black_Sunshine Offline
Poobah

I got it all done today. Now I just need the tune so I can put the 80mm box back on and unleash the power! lol

Here's how it went. I started taking hoses off and realized that I should get a before pic at least for my own reference. Just in case.

It came off to reveal one of our fine plastic intakes.

As soon as I got it off I immediately yanked the big PCV tube out. Later I'd end up changing a lot more things around.

Here's looking in the mouth.

Looking in the bottom.

This little hose had some damage.

To adapt the PCV hose I used the bends and put a short length of 1/2" hose in the middle. Then I put a clamp on it and heat shrink to hide the clamps.

I cut this straight piece off and shoved the fitting back in. If you don't have a heat gun get one!

Here's the final custom shape of the tube and it fits as good as the original.

I put the Accufab on in a hurry and quickly realized that it was going to come back off. I wasn't happy with the position of the tubes. The one on the bottom left is the one that accepts the smaller snap fitting hose. I wanted to use that fitting so I pulled this out and put it in there. I pulled the elbow out the front and put a straight one in so the EGR lines could go just like they were originally. Then I liked the way the big brake booster vac line looked doubled back so I put the extra elbow that you see on the top left.

Edited by Black_Sunshine (06/07/13 12:30 AM)

75mm DBW TB

Click to reveal...

� hood ornament
� c-pillar emblems

CarDomain

Facebook

#2719074 - 06/07/13 12:30 AM Re: DBW intake mods (straight business) [Re: Black_Sunshine]
Black_Sunshine Offline
Poobah

Here's a shot from the left side looking at the brake booster vac line, the PCV line and the other (?) one.

From the front.

I'm really happy with the way the PCV came out. The other hose looks all crazy. I'm going to go to the junkyard and get another of the plastic hoses like the one under it and fab a nice custom one that will look as nice as the PCV. I think they can be bent with heat but I'm not sure I didn't need to for the PCV.

After all that was done I had to put the TB on. I had the original gasket but it would need to be port matched. I didn't feel like doing that. I just stuck my template in there instead.

And the TB on. Getting the TB on was super easy. As easy as it came off. Well not that easy. Once you have two bolts in it's that easy. The second bolt can be a little tricky because the holes are all slots. lol I had to swap my electronics and put my TPS on it. I just put them on and didn't mess with the idle screw. Everything seems fine.

Believe it or not we have come to the hardest part. The dang zip tube is too small!! lol

I tried to shove it on there. I tried to heat it up and shove it on there. I got it so hot I had to wear leather glove. It wasn't happening.

I kept thinking of the spreader tool that they use in exhaust shops. Then it came to me, I needed a conical shaped thing that I could shove it down on while heating it.

Obviously I needed to go to the kitchen to find such an object. I found a Grey Goose shaker lid. I checked and it was 75mm. Boon!!! I set the lid on the floor and started heating the tube. Then I jammed it on there and heated it some more. Then I beat it on the floor. Finally I got it all the way in there and was confident the opening was nice and uniform.

Then I got some pliers and yanked the crazy hot Grey Goose shaker lid out of the tube and immediately shoved it on the TB. I didn't know if it would shrink and I didn't want to find out.

Got that Grey Goose?

Then you wouldn't believe what I found out next! The clamp was too small!! I took two clamps and put them together. The were much too large.

I had to go to O'Reilly's and get a clamp. I still need to trim the clamp.

Once it was all done I took it to the store to get celebratory beer. It all seemed to work and no CELs. I'll keep you posted if I have problems. I'm still not running the 80mm box.

75mm DBW TB

Click to reveal...

� hood ornament
� c-pillar emblems

CarDomain

Facebook

#2719085 - 06/07/13 12:55 AM Re: DBW intake mods (straight business) [Re: Black_Sunshine]
sm41 Offline
Over the Hill

Getting that zip tube on a 75mm TB is an absolute [censored]. Bad enough in the summer, damn near impossible in the winter.

-Steven

#2719139 - 06/07/13 07:28 AM Re: DBW intake mods (straight business) [Re: sm41]
BlackVic_P71 Offline
Grand Poobah

Originally Posted By: sm41
Getting that zip tube on a 75mm TB is an absolute [censored]. Bad enough in the summer, damn near impossible in the winter.

Not on the BBK, it's a perfect fit. I guess the stock Ford TB's are a bit thicker at the front end.

#2719149 - 06/07/13 08:44 AM Re: DBW intake mods (straight business) [Re: Black_Sunshine]
sm41 Offline
Over the Hill

I'm running a Professional Products plenum/tb. That is worth noting though. It would ease frustration by a couple magnitudes.

-Steven

#2719154 - 06/07/13 09:11 AM Re: DBW intake mods (straight business) [Re: Black_Sunshine]
Black_Sunshine Offline
Poobah

I think my tube is permanently bigger now. lol

75mm DBW TB

Click to reveal...

� hood ornament
� c-pillar emblems

CarDomain

Facebook

#2719155 - 06/07/13 09:12 AM Re: DBW intake mods (straight business) [Re: Black_Sunshine]
Black_Sunshine Offline
Poobah

Ironically I noticed that the MAF end of the tube fits right on the TB.

75mm DBW TB

Click to reveal...

� hood ornament
� c-pillar emblems

CarDomain

Facebook

#2719191 - 06/07/13 11:25 AM Re: DBW intake mods (straight business) [Re: sm41]
BlackVic_P71 Offline
Grand Poobah

I'm running a Professional Products plenum/tb. That is worth noting though. It would ease frustration by a couple magnitudes.

How?

#2719218 - 06/07/13 12:53 PM Re: DBW intake mods (straight business) [Re: BlackVic_P71]
Black_Sunshine Offline
Poobah

Originally Posted By: BlackVic_P71

How?

I think he's talking about the technique I used to stretch mine.

I was starting to think I'd have to go get a different tube. Then I became determined to stretch it.

75mm DBW TB

Click to reveal...

� hood ornament
� c-pillar emblems

CarDomain

Facebook

#2719246 - 06/07/13 02:50 PM Re: DBW intake mods (straight business) [Re: Black_Sunshine]
sm41 Offline
Over the Hill

How?

I think he's talking about the technique I used to stretch mine.

I was starting to think I'd have to go get a different tube. Then I became determined to stretch it.
Yes. It took me almost an hour of grunting, tugging, and pulling to get it on the first time. I think mine has since stretched.

-Steven

#2719247 - 06/07/13 02:53 PM Re: DBW intake mods (straight business) [Re: Black_Sunshine]
BillyBishop Offline
Expert mechanic
Poobah

Loc: KY
For what it's worth, 05+ tubes are really hard and rigid vs the rubbery stuff from earlier years. That said, fitting an 04 zip tube over a 78mm tb isn't very fun either.

1985 2 door vic-------2003 P71: Lots of mods-----1994 Buick Toastmaster
Past: 2002 P71, 1996 LTC, 2003 P71

#2719249 - 06/07/13 03:00 PM Re: DBW intake mods (straight business) [Re: BillyBishop]
Black_Sunshine Offline
Poobah

The 1/2" that clamps is rubbery but the tube itself is plastic. The clamping surface of the TB is about 3/4" so you need to get the plastic part on it.

Originally Posted By: BillyBishop
For what it's worth, 05+ tubes are really hard and rigid vs the rubbery stuff from earlier years. That said, fitting an 04 zip tube over a 78mm tb isn't very fun either.

The '04 ones that I've seen seem to have a swell just before the TB. They look tougher than the '05+ tubes but I don't really care.

75mm DBW TB

Click to reveal...

� hood ornament
� c-pillar emblems

CarDomain

Facebook

#2719328 - 06/07/13 08:17 PM Re: DBW intake mods (straight business) [Re: BillyBishop]
KayTar Offline

Poobah

Originally Posted By: BillyBishop
fitting an 04 zip tube over a 78mm tb isn't very fun either.

Did that on my 2003 with the same 78MM BBK unit you have,
It was a nice hot day and I left my tube in the sun haha

#2719686 - 06/08/13 08:38 PM Re: DBW intake mods (straight business) [Re: Black_Sunshine]
213Shieldefender Offline

Loc: San Gabriel Valley, CA

Looks good! Any noticeable change in performance?
2005 Crown Victoria LX Sport, 97k mi, MZT, BOC 87 Octane tune, ported & polished plenum, 35% tint, Federal Signal LED CHMSL, eBay LED taillights, Headlamp Relay Upgrade, Mach 1 chin spoiler, P71 140 mph cluster, carbon fiber interior trim
(Coming soon) 09+ recessed window switches
2008 GMC Yukon SLE, 23k mi, center console, LED tail lights, Tahoe PPV wiper arms, body side molding delete

"It is the soldier, not the reporter, who has given us freedom of the press. It is the soldier, not the poet, who has given us freedom of speech. It is the soldier, not the campus organizer, who has given us the freedom to demonstrate. It is the soldier, who salutes the flag, who serves beneath the flag, and whose coffin is draped by the flag, who allows the protester to burn the flag." - Father Denis Edward O'Brien, USMC

#2719702 - 06/08/13 09:08 PM Re: DBW intake mods (straight business) [Re: Black_Sunshine]
Black_Sunshine Offline
Poobah

So far I'm not seeing much in the way of gains because I have to run the civilian air box until I get a tune. I can tell it really comes on different at the higher RPMs. The TB is noticeable too because you don't need as much throttle to let the same amount of air in.

75mm DBW TB

Click to reveal...

� hood ornament
� c-pillar emblems

CarDomain

Facebook

#2719737 - 06/08/13 10:32 PM Re: DBW intake mods (straight business) [Re: Black_Sunshine]
BlackVic_P71 Offline
Grand Poobah

Even with stock exhaust(manifolds and cats I mean), I felt the larger TB about mid range. With LT's and full exhaust behind it, it's like a kick in the rear at half throttle.

#2721896 - 06/13/13 11:23 PM Re: DBW intake mods (straight business) [Re: Black_Sunshine]
caddylackn Offline

I finally got my EBAY special F-150 TB. The seller sent me the wrong one at first mad . The first one they sent was a DBW TB from a GM it looked very similar and the guy said his wife shipped the wrong one. I then looked back at the ebay ad and he advertised a F-150 TB, but had the picture of the GM TB in it.

Once I got the correct TB I compared the ford to the GM, the interesting thing is the bolt pattern for the GM TB appears the same as the ford and the TB size is close at about 72 mm. There was only one electrical connector on the GM but it had 6 pins (motor on same side as the TPS). The ford has two connectors and 6 pins total (Motor on opposite side as the TPS). I am sure someone could mod a harness to work on the GM if they had the GM plug end.

It could possibly work on a Vic, but there is a chance the impedance on the TPS would be way off and it would not work correctly with the ford EEC as the computer would think it had another throttle angle. If the TPS from the ford could just be retrofitted on the GM TB, then we would have another DBW TB option that could work. I have to ship the GM TB back or I would open it up.

#2721934 - 06/14/13 12:40 AM Re: DBW intake mods (straight business) [Re: Black_Sunshine]
Black_Sunshine Offline
Poobah

I would be more worried about the motor in it working correctly than the TPS. Either way it sounds like too much trouble.

I've run a whole tank of gas through my car since I put the 75mm TB on it. The economy seemed the same but I'm not 100% sure on that yet. I'm going to try to take it easy on this next tank and see what happens.

It's super hard not to drive my car like a badass because it sounds so good. Too bad it isn't badass. lol

75mm DBW TB

Click to reveal...

� hood ornament
� c-pillar emblems

CarDomain

Facebook

#2722244 - 06/14/13 09:44 PM Re: DBW intake mods (straight business) [Re: Black_Sunshine]
03RedVicSport Offline
Over the Hill

Loc: Central NY
That's when you let off just before the shift, the nose drops, and then it shifts, hard.

That's the way I like an automatic to shift... Basically, when you're romping on it hard, it SHOULDN'T shift itself while you're still in the throttle. You should need to lift slightly for a brief moment so the trans can hit the next gear 'BANG!' then it's the gas peddle goes back to the mat again...

#2722254 - 06/14/13 10:09 PM Re: DBW intake mods (straight business) [Re: Black_Sunshine]
caddylackn Offline

That is good news, the fuel economy should be the same if have been driving the same. That means the new TB is measuring and metering the flow equivalent to what it was before. The only difference should be at WOT, you can now let in a little more air, which allows more fuel to be metered in, and you can make more power.

If your gas mileage went in the toilet, we might have a problem using the F-150. That would mean it is not sending the correct throttle position to the computer as the F-150 TPS is calibrated differently. I would think the closed loop EEC system and O2 sensors would keep the car from going way too lean or way too rich but if it was off just a bit at cruising speed the mileage would suffer.

I agree a GM TB would be too much trouble, since we now have a ford factory part option that works. If you had a free GM TB and an extra ford TPS it might be worth trying if you wanted to save $100.

#2722272 - 06/14/13 10:53 PM Re: DBW intake mods (straight business) [Re: Black_Sunshine]
Black_Sunshine Offline
Poobah

Ultimately I'm sure that the TPS is off because 10% open with a 65mm TB is not the same as 10% open with a 75mm TB. Maybe the MAF is making up the difference or something.

It's noticeable that more air goes in with less throttle. WOT actually feels closer to the same than the lesser throttle positions.

I'm going to start reading about tuning and I'm sure that I'll learn a lot more about it then. I can't wait until I can reprogram it and put the better air box on. I've gotten a taste of what's to come and it's driving me crazy.

75mm DBW TB

Click to reveal...

� hood ornament
� c-pillar emblems

CarDomain

Facebook

#2722423 - 06/15/13 12:32 PM Re: DBW intake mods (straight business) [Re: Black_Sunshine]
09mnsp Offline
Over the Hill

I've gotten a taste of what's to come and it's driving me crazy.
That taste is dangerous, and expensive.lol

#2722459 - 06/15/13 03:04 PM Re: DBW intake mods (straight business) [Re: Black_Sunshine]
RKDF Offline
n00b

Loc: Florida
I was wondering about the tune, I've heard some guys say you need one and others say it works without. I've got 3.73's so I'm always turning a few hundred RPM's faster than stock so I figured I'd be fine with a 75mm BBK as far as bogging goes. If anything I think my car's hurting for air at higher RPM's right now, doing the full intake before an airbox+tune is probably a good call.
2011 LX: CVPI Airbox Assembly, Accufab Plenum, Kooks Headers, Borla Cat Back, Underdrives, 3000RPM Torque Convertor, 22C Sparks, 180 Degree Thermostat, Dynotech Aluminum Driveshaft, Metco Loop, Trac-Lock, 3.73 Gears, Addco Swaybars, Metco Control Arms

#2722468 - 06/15/13 03:51 PM Re: DBW intake mods (straight business) [Re: 09mnsp]
KayTar Offline

Poobah

I've gotten a taste of what's to come and it's driving me crazy.
That taste is dangerous, and expensive.lol

Quoted for truth!

#2722472 - 06/15/13 04:06 PM Re: DBW intake mods (straight business) [Re: RKDF]
BlackVic_P71 Offline
Grand Poobah

Originally Posted By: RKDF
I was wondering about the tune, I've heard some guys say you need one and others say it works without.

I've put a larger TB on 2 2005's with a stock tune and the cars ran fine. I have heard that some have not been able to run an aftermarket TB because of problems, I don't know what exactly those problems were or if directions were followed(resetting the computer for instance) during the install.

#2722482 - 06/15/13 04:36 PM Re: DBW intake mods (straight business) [Re: Black_Sunshine]
caddylackn Offline

It appears that the computer may be self calibrating for the new TB as long as the voltage out of the TPS is linear throughout its range, see link below. The computer is only reading the difference between WOT and idle by voltage to figure out the instantaneous throttle angle. The MAF is what really measures the air for the computer to meter the fuel so that is why a tune is required for the bigger MAF. The throttle angle does not play into how much fuel is needed during steady cruise, only when the motor is at idle (0% open) , rapid changes in throttle angle, (acceleration or deceleration) or full throttle (100% open).

The TPS serves as the input for the computer to set the timing curves, fuel enrichment based on driver input. The TPS probably affects the shifting of the tranny, as well and some other emission crap, like turning off the EGR at WOT.

So what I think is 10% throttle on the stock TB is the same as 10% throttle on the F-150 since the computer only cares about what % of open throttle plate you are at (what you are doing). The timing and fuel curves are selected from that information, but the amount of air is caught by the MAF. We now can get more air in less throttle angle at cruise, so we have a slightly less throttle angle at the same engine speed (maybe 8% now instead of 10%) but we are still in cruise mode and the computer should still think we are in cruise mode. That should not effect the timing or enrichment system hopefully. The computer should still know when we are at WOT, idle, rapid acceleration, or deceleration even though the throttle angle while cruising is a little different now.

Here is some good material on Ford EFI on this site for reference, mostly EEC-IV stuff but probably is still valid. http://oldfuelinjection.com/?p=30

I hope someone more knowledgeable on Vic EECs chimes in here.

#2722549 - 06/15/13 08:16 PM Re: DBW intake mods (straight business) [Re: Black_Sunshine]
Black_Sunshine Offline
Poobah

Just for clarity, the MAF itself is the same. The tube that it's in is larger and the front hole in the air box is larger.

The MAF has to be re-calibrated to allow for the increase in air.

I think that more air is going in earlier because of the larger TB. That's what it feels like. Then at full throttle it's the same as before because the airbox is restricting it.

75mm DBW TB

Click to reveal...

� hood ornament
� c-pillar emblems

CarDomain

Facebook

#2725500 - 06/22/13 09:29 PM F-150 DBW and Trick Flow Plenum Done [Re: Black_Sunshine]
caddylackn Offline

I just followed the Accufab DBW write up and this excellent write up and installed the Trick Flow plenum on my '06 with the F-150 DBW TB.

The only things I did differently were:

I followed the Accufab DBW install except:

1. I tapped the IAC port to 3/8" pipe thread and installed the brake booster nipple at this port. This kept it away from the EGR tube, and over the top of the steel bracket. I used the lower port that was for the brake booster and put in a 3/8" iron pipe street el 90 bend pointed up followed by another street el 90 bend pointed toward the valve cover and added a 3" section of 3/8" pipe to attach the 5/8" new PVC hose. This raised the PVC tube alignment above the steel bracket and pointed right toward the valve cover. I cut the existing PVC tube at mid point and attached a 5/8" hose from the iron pipe nipple to the existing hose in a straight shot, no bends.

2. I hooked the 3/8" hose on that sensor on the firewall to the port closest to the TB on the firewall side. I used a couple brass pex 90 bends to keep any loops or bends out. These 1/2" pex 90 double nipples work really well with the 3/8" fuel hose and do not need clamps. They were only $1.80 each at Lowe's.

3. I used the F-150 TB motor but the crown vic TPS.

Suggestions:

1. I bought a TB gasket for autozone to use as a template to scribe the F-150 TB for drilling. I then used it on the install. I ordered the F-150 but Autozone gave me one that fit the crown vic TB frown , so I had to enlarge the bore a little but the bolt pattern was correct. That ended up being easier than moving the bolt holes in the gasket and gave me more gasket material around the bore to prevent leaks.

2. Check that bores are aligned when you start bolting the TB to the plenum through the slotted holes one at a time. When you add one bolt that throws off the bore alignment, you know that is the one that needs more adjustment. I had all four bolts in and looked at the bore and it was off by 1mm. I then proceeded to hog all four holes a little to the side, when it was only 1 that was off.

3. Use the white paste pipe dope on all black iron and brass nipple connections. It doesn't harden, acts as an anti seize, and prevents vacuum leaks.

4. Hit the EGR bolts on both sides with a little PB blaster.

5. I had to grind the head of one bolt a little that was hitting the TB outside body. I had to grind the bottom bracket on the Trick Flow that was hitting the steel bracket on the manifold.

Mistakes I made written down so you don't make them:

1. Be careful wrestling the Zip tube over the 75mm TB, I busted my PVC nipple half way off the zip tube and had to glue it back together. Follow this install guide and preheat the zip tube with a heat gun and hammer a tapered object in to stretch it. Have a 4" clamp ready, your old clamp won't fit, because once you shoe horn this size 12 foot into a size 8' shoe it wants to pop right back off with hardly any pressure. I used the clamp on the other end of the zip tube, and bought another 4" one at Lowe's on my test ride. I used the original TB clamp on the zip tube to grab the PVC port I messed up and keep it clamped to the zip tube while the glue dries. I'll leave it there.

2. Swap out the TPS on the TB first before installing to the plenum and bolting the plenum on. I tried running it with the F-150 TPS and it definitely is off, and idled too high. Throttle response was really bad ass though took about 1 sec to hit 3,000 rpm+. Swapping out the TPS to my Crown Vic one I broke one of the screws off mad .
Test Drive:

The car runs really well, it took a minute or two to find its idle, but it is not throwing any codes, missing, or pinging. The throttle response off idle is right now and I found myself needing to be much more sensitive with the pedal. Haven't flogged it hard yet, but did floor it coming up a steep hill. There is definitely more top end pull above 3000 rpms. I can't tell what I lost down low if any. I need to get my J mod in to get rid of the slushy mamby pamby stock shifting that is robbing all my low end torque to see if I lost any with this mod.

How do I add pictures of the install?

I'll top off my tank and try to keep my foot out of it to check mileage. I only average 19 mpg now.

#2725512 - 06/22/13 10:21 PM Re: F-150 DBW and Trick Flow Plenum Done [Re: caddylackn]
BlackVic_P71 Offline
Grand Poobah

Edit fast, it's PCV not PVC.
You did reset the computer, right?
Put pics up on Photobucket.com and link them here, or go to the "Full Reply" screen to add images(under the reply box you can attach images).

#2725536 - 06/22/13 11:03 PM Re: F-150 DBW and Trick Flow Plenum Done [Re: Black_Sunshine]
Black_Sunshine Offline
Poobah

If you use photobucket.com you can just copy the img tags and paste them here.

When I was jacking around with my zip tube I thought that I might break the PCV hose off of it. Luckily I gave up and got the heat gun out first. I tried to just heat it and shove it onto the TB. That just wasn't happening. Finally innovation kicked in and I found that stainless steel shaker lid to shove it on. Once I had it heated and shoved on there I let it cool before I yanked the shaker lid out with pliers. In one of the pics you can see the water I poured over it all over the floor.

I'm still planning fixing my other big vacuum line so that it looks better. My plan is to get the hard line that's under it from the the junkyard. Then use the bends in the hard line to make a nice custom line. The one time that I went to the junkyard since I got this together they didn't have any late models.

I'm also making an adapter to mount my cover back up with.

75mm DBW TB

Click to reveal...

� hood ornament
� c-pillar emblems

CarDomain

Facebook

#2725653 - 06/23/13 12:21 PM Re: DBW intake mods (straight business) [Re: Black_Sunshine]
caddylackn Offline

No, I did not reset the computer. It seems like the computer had to learn the new TB and adjusted itself. If I have drive-ability problems or poor gas mileage I will try that.

Here are some photos:
Final Hose Routing, notice the hoses are all over the EGR pipe heat shield. Putting the booster hose on the lower port on the plenum would have routed it next to the EGR tube and under the bracket. I didn't want these touching.
http://s1366.photobucket.com/user/Caddylackn/media/May2013093_zps95f3abb7.jpg.html

Moving the Brake Booster Port to the IAC and moving the PCV port up over the heat shield.

[img:center]http://s1366.photobucket.com/user/Caddylackn/media/May2013089_zps14255dc6.jpg.html[/img]

[img:center]http://s1366.photobucket.com/user/Caddylackn/media/May2013087_zpsfab5afc8.jpg.html[/img]

Finished picture, I should have painted the plenum satin black or cast aluminum.

[img:center]http://s1366.photobucket.com/user/Caddylackn/media/May2013090_zps80bb3a78.jpg.html[/img]

Edited by caddylackn (06/23/13 12:27 PM)

#2725716 - 06/23/13 03:24 PM Re: DBW intake mods (straight business) [Re: caddylackn]
ImpulseRocket89 Offline
Over the Hill

Loc: Omaha, NE USA
I should have painted the plenum satin black or cast aluminum.

I had the same thought after I got mine installed. At the very least ordered the black PC one. Ah well though, I don't entirely care how it looks, as I don't show my car.

I will have to consider some of the work you did, if I decide to redo mine, for the hose routing though. Definitely much cleaner looking that way.
2005 Crown Vic LX: Eaton 1.5" P71 drop springs & KYB Gas-A-Just P71 shocks. Heinous Control arms. Addco sway bars. 18x8.5 Fanblades. Mini D2S Projector retrofit - 50W w/ 5000k. Mach 1 Chin Spoiler, Kenwood head unit, upgraded speakers, Infinity Bass-link. Cryostop Rotors, and Porterfield R4S Pads. Trickflow Upper plenum, AFe Stage 2 intake, Steeda UD Pulleys, Catco high flow cats, Factory Duals w/magnaflow 11224's, MMC Driveshaft w/ Fabtech spacer, BOC Tune.
1988 Isuzu Impulse Turbo: Torn to bits, being built and collecting dust. (2.6L engine, 7670 EFR, MUA-5 trans etc. etc.)

#2725724 - 06/23/13 04:20 PM Re: DBW intake mods (straight business) [Re: Black_Sunshine]
Black_Sunshine Offline
Poobah

I used the three elbows, including the two that have the OEM quick connect ribs on them, to accomplish basically the same thing.

I could have used the straight barb for the brake booster but it felt like it blended in more if I used the 45* one and doubled it back. I tried it both ways and decided on the doubled back one. I did cut about 6" off of the brake booster line.

It took a little tweaking to get the two quick connectors situated beside each other.

I still plan to make a custom line for the AC vac line (I don't really know what that one is).

I figured that it would be fine if the lines were laying on the bracket over the EGR. Mine don't but it probably would be fine. As long as none of them actually touch the EGR tube.

75mm DBW TB

Click to reveal...

� hood ornament
� c-pillar emblems

CarDomain

Facebook

#2725743 - 06/23/13 05:36 PM Re: DBW intake mods (straight business) [Re: caddylackn]
BlackVic_P71 Offline
Grand Poobah

Just use the "IMG" option from the links on the right

Here are some photos:
Final Hose Routing, notice the hoses are all over the EGR pipe heat shield. Putting the booster hose on the lower port on the plenum would have routed it next to the EGR tube and under the bracket. I didn't want these touching.

Moving the Brake Booster Port to the IAC and moving the PCV port up over the heat shield.

Finished picture, I should have painted the plenum satin black or cast aluminum.

Edited by BlackVic_P71 (06/23/13 05:40 PM)

#2725798 - 06/23/13 08:52 PM Re: DBW intake mods (straight business) [Re: Black_Sunshine]
caddylackn Offline

I used the three elbows, including the two that have the OEM quick connect ribs on them, to accomplish basically the same thing.

I didn't have that option as I did not want to pull the factory plenum elbows in case I sell my factory plenum and TB, plus the Trick Flow ports were threaded except for the IAC. When I put the straight barb fitting it came with down there and hooked up the hose it ended up right next to the EGR hose and under the heat shield to get cooked. I didn't want a future vacuum leak on the brake booster line. If I would have pulled the factory elbows out of the plenum I would have done it the same as yours. Obviously Trick Flow never intended for this plenum to be installed backward on a Crown Vic or they would have moved the lower port somewhere it made sense.

Your Accufab looks way better than my Trick Flow. I had bad sand casting marks inside the plenum where the sand casting form halves were not perfectly aligned. I smoothed them a little but the whole inside needs sanding & polishing. You get what you pay for. I am not going to make enough HP where it would matter.

The good news is that we now have multiple options for DBW cars for upgrading the plenum and TB. I went the total cheap ass route:

F-150 3V TB: Ebay special........$58 shipped
TF Plenum:bought on this forum....$85 shipped
3/8" iron fittings... .Lowe's........$6
New 4" clamp....Lowe's ............$2
New 1' of 5/8" vacuum..Autozone....$2 actually 19/32"
New 2' of 3/8" fuel hose. Autozone.$3
New TB gasket...Autozone...........$2
2-- 1/2" Pex elbows...Lowes........$4
4--3/4" clamps..Autozone...........$3

Total..............................$165

If I wanted I know I can sell my Plenum and TB for at least $65, so total cost around $100. Now I know this mod is overkill on a stock motor, but I have other mods coming.

Test Ride 2

I reset my computer and took it for another test run. On first start up it takes a few minutes to learn the new TB and get the idle down. It idles a little high for a few miles and you can tell when you coast in gear. After a few miles and a few stops it settles down to normal idle. There is definitely more throttle response and a much more sensitive throttle. No codes. Another wide open pull going on the freeway you can feel an added rush in acceleration above 3K. It feels like a little torque is lost at below 1,800 rpms at WOT. This is a bone stock motor with a 75mm TB and plenum and this was expected but it was not very noticeable. This may be more of an issue with 2.73 gears versus the 3.55s I have.

#2725860 - 06/23/13 11:59 PM Re: DBW intake mods (straight business) [Re: Black_Sunshine]
Black_Sunshine Offline
Poobah

The Accufab that I have has casting marks inside. They were already smoothed down. Mine was still full of oil when I got it. I shot it with brake cleaner. I thought about polishing it but I'm way to lazy. Besides, it's just going to get full of oil again.

I pulled the elbows from mine on the premise that anyone buying it would already have those elbows on their current plenum.

75mm DBW TB

Click to reveal...

� hood ornament
� c-pillar emblems

CarDomain

Facebook

#2736492 - 07/19/13 06:10 PM Re: DBW intake mods (straight business) [Re: Black_Sunshine]
LapJ Offline
Climber

Loc: Montreal, Canada
Did the mod today w accufab plenum, all went good but I have a question

The damn tube from the filter is 80mm on the filter side but 65mm on the tb side, I ve put a rubber cuppler that use on pvc pipe but i had to put it over the stock tube all work ok but the damn tube still to small to keep 80mm of flow

What did you guys use to make it fit, even if i stretch the end it will still have a portion of the tube that will be 65mm

And I notice that the kickdown is not reacting like it was

Is that because i reset my pcm or it only can be corrected with a tune?

Thanks
2005 Quebec city police interceptor, BOC tune,KOOKS long tube w customs 2.5" full exhaust,75mm DBW throttle body,Accufab plenum,Ford Racing 3.73 gear, JMOD, R1 concept cross drilled premium rotor with HAWK HPS pads on 4 corners,Henious rear control arm, steeda underdrive pulley,marauder cluster swap,headlamp harness upgraded Kicker zr 800 old school amp, Orion 12" sub

JMOD done: 4

#2736494 - 07/19/13 06:16 PM Re: DBW intake mods (straight business) [Re: LapJ]
BlackVic_P71 Offline
Grand Poobah

Originally Posted By: LapJ

And I notice that the kickdown is not reacting like it was
Is that because i reset my pcm or it only can be corrected with a tune?
Thanks

Give that a few days to reset, the car has to get used to the larger TB.
Do you currently have the BOC tune installed? That may have something to do with it as well.

#2736511 - 07/19/13 07:26 PM Re: DBW intake mods (straight business) [Re: Black_Sunshine]
LapJ Offline
Climber

Yep i have a tune BUT not a tune for all my new mod (long tube, full exhaust, accufab an throttle body)
2005 Quebec city police interceptor, BOC tune,KOOKS long tube w customs 2.5" full exhaust,75mm DBW throttle body,Accufab plenum,Ford Racing 3.73 gear, JMOD, R1 concept cross drilled premium rotor with HAWK HPS pads on 4 corners,Henious rear control arm, steeda underdrive pulley,marauder cluster swap,headlamp harness upgraded Kicker zr 800 old school amp, Orion 12" sub

#2736513 - 07/19/13 07:32 PM Re: DBW intake mods (straight business) [Re: LapJ]
BlackVic_P71 Offline
Grand Poobah

The tune may make the computer less adaptive to changes like the larger TB, shouldn't be a problem with the LTs and exhaust.

#2736740 - 07/20/13 09:02 AM Re: DBW intake mods (straight business) [Re: Black_Sunshine]
LapJ Offline
Climber

Which intake tube should i get to have a true 80mm

Maybe a modified tube from a f250? Custom piping? K&n cold air?
Mustang tube?

#2736809 - 07/20/13 12:21 PM Re: DBW intake mods (straight business) [Re: LapJ]
Black_Sunshine Offline
Poobah

Mustang tube?

What's the point? You can't get an 80mm TB anyway. It will have to neck down there.

75mm DBW TB

Click to reveal...

� hood ornament
� c-pillar emblems

CarDomain

Facebook

#2736914 - 07/20/13 04:40 PM Re: DBW intake mods (straight business) [Re: Black_Sunshine]
LapJ Offline
Climber

Lol sorry i would like to have 75mm on the intake side and and 80 on the maf side

The stock tube fit IN the new throttle not outside like supposed to

#2736948 - 07/20/13 05:59 PM Re: DBW intake mods (straight business) [Re: LapJ]
BlackVic_P71 Offline
Grand Poobah

Mustang tube?

The K&N has a 70mm MAF housing. To get it to fit right and keep a uniform size I'd say have somebody bend you some exhaust pipe to match the curve, add the MAF housing and PCV connection.

#2736973 - 07/20/13 07:20 PM Re: DBW intake mods (straight business) [Re: BlackVic_P71]
LapJ Offline
Climber

Mustang tube?

The K&N has a 70mm MAF housing. To get it to fit right and keep a uniform size I'd say have somebody bend you some exhaust pipe to match the curve, add the MAF housing and PCV connection.

Exacty that was my idea to buy a 45deg and a strait 3.5" piping and weld it together

Will do that next week

#2764537 - 10/05/13 05:35 PM Re: DBW intake mods (straight business) [Re: Black_Sunshine]
BlaineB Offline
Over the Hill

Loc: Indiana
Very nice! Love OEM parts.......so much cheaper than aftermarket with the same end result!

#2778916 - 11/15/13 09:46 PM Re: DBW intake mods (straight business) [Re: Black_Sunshine]
Black_Sunshine Offline
Poobah

Finally, officially finished this project today.

Wednesday when I left work I had a little problem. A vacuum problem. She was really sucking wind. I took a look and I think the PCV was loose from the back of my Accufab. I need to use some RTV to glue it in or something.

It reminded me that I still need to fix the evap line. When I installed the Accufab I just used a piece of injector line to replace the nice pre-bent evap line.

My plan was to use the plastic tube from the evap return to make a a custom line for the vacuum side of the evap.

If your vacuum side on your evap is rotted out you could make a new one this way too. It'll last longer than the original too.

Here's the salvaged return tube and some fresh salvaged connectors.

The kinked up, offending hose, that my friend so eloquently said looks like 'death'.

I cut the plastic tube into two good pieces to use for the bends. I needed a way to bend it with out collapsing it. I came up with a mandrel bending system. I shoved piece of coaxial cable in it. Then hit it with a heat gun. Then I bent it and waited for it to cool. It didn't bend as pretty as I hoped it would but I know that it's open because the wire held it open.

I thought that I would put clamps on the hose but it was hard as hell to shove in there. Even with WD40 and the heat gun. I got it in there about 1/2". Then I wanted to make the bends look less like death. So I covered the connections with heat shrink.

Here's the finished product.

The installed product photo came out terrible so I'll get another tomorrow.

75mm DBW TB

Click to reveal...

� hood ornament
� c-pillar emblems

CarDomain

Facebook

#2779026 - 11/16/13 08:00 AM Re: DBW intake mods (straight business) [Re: Black_Sunshine]
wayfastwhitey Offline
Climber

Loc: Dfw, tx
well done sir.

and I have stared death in the eyes, I think your line looks fine.

Current ride :
flip flops

Previous panthers:
92 lincoln town car signature series - murdered out
95 lincoln town car signature series - lets just say, yeah, I know what the pit can do to the front of a car...
97 Lincoln town car signature series - paid 625 and due to some unfortunate circumstances I had to sell it

#2807912 - 02/07/14 04:25 AM Re: DBW intake mods (straight business) [Re: Black_Sunshine]
SocalSam Online   content
Over the Hill

Loc: SFV, Calif.
I would never have considered a DBW car until I saw Black_Sunshine's GM at the last So Cal JMOD meet. So, I gave up looking for a low mileage '04 CVPI and bought a '08 CVPI. I intend to make my setup look as stock as possible so that means staying with the stock intake plenum (which will be ported and polished, of course.) This thread and your experience are much appreciated.

70mm MAF is not a dead end. I adapted a CVPI box and snorkel to the 70mm in my LX Sport and it works great. There is definitely a lot more flow. I've added the CVPI snorkel to two '99 NPI's with similar results. No tune needed. One NPI had a misfire on light load which I suspect was caused by spark plug gap being too narrow. (It did not misfire with the trumpet snorkel.) Plug change cured it.

Edited by SocalSam (02/07/14 04:28 AM)
2004 CV LX Sport #1, 57,000 miles -- Never was
2004 CV LX Sport #2, 121,000 miles -- Current
2008 CVPI Arizona Beige, 121,000 miles, 677 idle hours -- Current
2005 CVPI Ex-San Diego P.D. -- 2 month loaner

#3098049 - 03/05/16 10:49 AM Re: DBW intake mods (straight business) [Re: Black_Sunshine]
PI46interceptor Offline
n00b

Loc: iowa
what year 3v f150?

#3098105 - 03/05/16 11:19 AM Re: DBW intake mods (straight business) [Re: PI46interceptor]
BlackVic_P71 Offline
Grand Poobah

Originally Posted By PI46interceptor
what year 3v f150?

Should be all.

#3099081 - 03/05/16 09:51 PM Re: DBW intake mods (straight business) [Re: BlackVic_P71]
Black_Sunshine Offline
Poobah

Originally Posted By BlackVic_P71
what year 3v f150?

Should be all.

Looks like 2004-2008:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ford_Modular_engine#3-valve_2

75mm DBW TB

Click to reveal...

� hood ornament
� c-pillar emblems

CarDomain

Facebook

#3106626 - 03/10/16 10:26 PM Re: DBW intake mods (straight business) [Re: Black_Sunshine]
PI46interceptor Offline
n00b

anyone else done this with out a tune? its a minor change that the computer should be able to learn.

#3106706 - 03/11/16 12:26 AM Re: DBW intake mods (straight business) [Re: Black_Sunshine]
09mnsp Offline
Over the Hill

a few people have without a tune. I switched from a 75mm to a twin 60mm and didn't alter my tune. My shift strategy seems the same. According to my wideband, a/f is the same at part and wot.

#3107658 - 03/11/16 09:40 PM Re: DBW intake mods (straight business) [Re: PI46interceptor]
Black_Sunshine Offline
Poobah

anyone else done this with out a tune? its a minor change that the computer should be able to learn.

It's a minor change because, ultimately, the MAF is measuring the air in front of it. It makes the car drive different because less throttle lets more air in. Sure it can let more air through overall but that's not necessary for very many N/A 4.6L mod motors.

75mm DBW TB

Click to reveal...

� hood ornament
� c-pillar emblems

CarDomain

Facebook

#3107698 - 03/11/16 09:51 PM Re: DBW intake mods (straight business) [Re: Black_Sunshine]
Black_Sunshine Offline
Poobah

Also you can find an X3 tuner used and get a good tune from MPT on the cheap. That's what I've done.

75mm DBW TB

Click to reveal...

� hood ornament
� c-pillar emblems

CarDomain

Facebook

#3108098 - 03/12/16 08:52 AM Re: DBW intake mods (straight business) [Re: Black_Sunshine]
Tcruarceri Offline

Loc: Ny
Originally Posted By Black_Sunshine
Also you can find an X3 tuner used and get a good tune from MPT on the cheap. That's what I've done.

I thought these were permanently married to the car they were hooked into, you can reset and change the vehicle?

#3108626 - 03/12/16 05:01 PM Re: DBW intake mods (straight business) [Re: Tcruarceri]
BlackVic_P71 Offline
Grand Poobah

Originally Posted By Tcruarceri

I thought these were permanently married to the car they were hooked into, you can reset and change the vehicle?

Once you remove the tune(return the car to stock), the tuner can be used on another vehicle.

#3109298 - 03/13/16 10:35 AM Re: DBW intake mods (straight business) [Re: Black_Sunshine]
PI46interceptor Offline
n00b

thanks everyone. I picked up a throttle body for $60 of an 05 f150 5.4 3v w/24k miles and the elbow is coming from amazon for $76 so not too bad. out of curiosity has anyone done a before/after dyno run? MPT as in morepowertuning.com? Are you guys running the stock 65mm electronics on the 75mm tb or are you using the f150 electronics?

#3113962 - 03/16/16 10:44 PM Re: DBW intake mods (straight business) [Re: Black_Sunshine]
PI46interceptor Offline
n00b

mpt says they don't do crown vics anymore suggestions?

#3114050 - 03/16/16 11:55 PM Re: DBW intake mods (straight business) [Re: PI46interceptor]
Black_Sunshine Offline
Poobah

mpt says they don't do crown vics anymore suggestions?

Strange. Must be fed up with mine. I'll have to ask them if they want to talk about it. They still had them listed on their site last week.

Mo's Speed shop has been getting really popular. They don't have an online store. You have to deal with them through email.

75mm DBW TB

Click to reveal...

� hood ornament
� c-pillar emblems

CarDomain

Facebook

#3488538 - 12/29/16 12:36 PM Re: DBW intake mods (straight business) [Re: Black_Sunshine]
pushrods Offline
n00b

Loc: Chicagoland
awesome thread, thanks for sharing the info. I'm going to read this again once I get the parts in my hand.

#3757538 - 10/10/17 11:08 AM Re: DBW intake mods (straight business) [Re: Black_Sunshine]
73impala Offline

Loc: FL
Hate to bump an old thread, but any chance on reposting the pictures?

2006 Mercury Grand Marquis
Ole Blue Hair

#3758042 - 10/10/17 08:08 PM Re: DBW intake mods (straight business) [Re: 73impala]
bluejay_32 Offline
Poobah

Loc: wny
Originally Posted By 73impala
Hate to bump an old thread, but any chance on reposting the pictures?

Are you on Firefox or Chrome?
https://www.crownvic.net/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=3742050#Post3742050

Originally Posted By Rob Gordon
NOW GET YOUR PATCHOULI STINK - OUTTA MY STORE! MOVE IT, LARD-ASS!

#3758802 - 10/11/17 07:15 PM Re: DBW intake mods (straight business) [Re: Black_Sunshine]
73impala Offline

Loc: FL
Good to know, I am on chrome. When I go to do this I will use firefox. Or maybe if its ok remake the thread with the photos saved from another picture host

2006 Mercury Grand Marquis
Ole Blue Hair

#3803482 - 11/26/17 11:09 PM Re: DBW intake mods (straight business) [Re: Black_Sunshine]
2011CVLX Offline

Loc: Marion County, FL
Photobucket got wise to those fixes. any other way to see the photos?
2011 Crown Victoria LX 100k miles P71 zip tube, custom 2.25" cat-back exhaust with H-pipe and Magnaflow mufflers, P71 bucket seats and conti console and floor shifter, RSC upgrade, Marauder spoiler, 21mm rear sway bar (to be installed Marauder console, shift interlock cable, trick flow plenum, and a P71 airbox)
02 LX Sport 166k miles still original
1998 Chevy K1500 Suburban, Whipple supercharger, Mesa headers, Gibson cat-back exhaust, 215k miles (currently in a coma)

#3991552 - 08/03/18 08:18 AM Re: DBW intake mods (straight business) [Re: Black_Sunshine]
ClayBelt Offline

Over the Hill

Loc: Leon County
Did we ever find a 70 or 75mm throttle body that didn’t require drilling?

2001 Chevrolet Tracker LT “Featherbrick” - 6/2016-10/2016 - SOLD
2005 Toyota 4Runner SR5 “Panzer” - 8/2016-4/2018 - SOLD
1966 Ford Thunderbird “Fordy McFordface” - 11/2016-2/2020 - TRADED
2005 Buick LaCrosse CXS “Jumba” - 2/2017-2/2018 - SOLD
2010 Mercury Grand Marquis LS “Touge Sofa” - 4/2018-?
1990 Mazda Miata “Little Boy” - 5/2019-10/2019 - SOLD
1986 Ford Mustang SVO “Touge Fox” - 2/2020-11/2020 - TRADED
1978 MG Midget 1500 - 11/2020-?

#3991566 - 08/03/18 11:53 AM Re: DBW intake mods (straight business) [Re: ClayBelt]
Black_Sunshine Offline
Poobah

Originally Posted By ClayBelt

Yes, the BBK TB that's made for the 4.0L V6 Mustang is 75mm and doesn't require drilling.

75mm DBW TB

Click to reveal...

� hood ornament
� c-pillar emblems

CarDomain

Facebook

#3991568 - 08/03/18 12:06 PM Re: DBW intake mods (straight business) [Re: Black_Sunshine]
ClayBelt Offline

Over the Hill

Guess I was hoping there was a junkyard find.

#3991584 - 08/03/18 03:41 PM Re: DBW intake mods (straight business) [Re: ClayBelt]
Bad_S55 Offline
Rookie

Loc: Michigan
Guess I was hoping there was a junkyard find.

The drilling is incredibly easy if you're serious about a bigger TB
Addco Front & Rear Sway Bars
Nitto 555s All Around
Spherical Sway Bar Links & Control Arms
3.55 gears, trac-lok, and 31 spline axles
Tuned by Lidio at Alternative Auto
LX Sport/Marauder hybrid interior
LEDs inside & out

#3991594 - 08/03/18 06:08 PM Re: DBW intake mods (straight business) [Re: Black_Sunshine]
BlackVic_P71 Offline
Grand Poobah

Yes, the BBK TB that's made for the 4.0L V6 Mustang is 75mm and doesn't require drilling.

Nope, it's the 70mm for the V6. The 75mm is for a 5.4 truck.

#3991596 - 08/03/18 06:14 PM Re: DBW intake mods (straight business) [Re: Black_Sunshine]
ClayBelt Offline

Over the Hill

Will the F150 TB bolt up to a stock plenum, or would a search for a Mustang one in the yard be necessary?

Edit: I know it won’t bolt up. That’s why it would need some work. Will the stock plenum fit it though?

Edited by ClayBelt (08/03/18 06:29 PM)

#3991608 - 08/04/18 12:25 AM Re: DBW intake mods (straight business) [Re: Black_Sunshine]
Black_Sunshine Offline
Poobah

The stock plenum will fit it but there will be a step-down. Consequently it's harder to use the stock one when planning to use the plenum to make a template to drill the TB. You won't be able to align the center bore.That' doesn't mean you can't do it. I'm sure it still wouldn't be very hard.

75mm DBW TB

Click to reveal...

� hood ornament
� c-pillar emblems

CarDomain

Facebook

#3991620 - 08/04/18 12:25 PM Re: DBW intake mods (straight business) [Re: Black_Sunshine]
Accumulator Offline
Climber

Are the DBW BBKs still occasionally having minor drivability issues?

#4107618 - 05/05/21 02:50 AM Re: DBW intake mods (straight business) [Re: Black_Sunshine]
BrainIsSlow Offline
n00b

Loc: Arizona
Instead of doing all this buying and waiting and drilling

Can I just tune my car to have a more sensitive throttle?

#4107800 - 05/06/21 04:42 PM Re: DBW intake mods (straight business) [Re: Black_Sunshine]
2008interceptor Offline
Over the Hill

Loc: Pennsylvania
Yeah you can have it tuned to be more sensitive. Even just tuning it not to adapt would be better. The dbw is adaptive unfortunately and can develop unwanted changes. Mainly it became like an old married couple learning to selectively ignore/delay input for me at least.

In the mean time you could do the relearn procedure.

1. Turn key to ON, but don't start the motor.
2. Slowly depress the gas pedal all the way to the floor.
3. Release the gas pedal quickly.
4. Turn key off.
5. Repeat steps 1-4 twice more for a total of three times.

Edited by 2008interceptor (05/06/21 06:27 PM)

#4107818 - 05/06/21 06:35 PM Re: DBW intake mods (straight business) [Re: 2008interceptor]
TheCableGuy Offline
Over the Hill

Loc: Far Northwest AZ
Originally Posted By 2008interceptor
Yeah you can have it tuned to be more sensitive. Even just tuning it not to adapt would be better. The dbw is adaptive unfortunately and can develop unwanted changes. Mainly it became like an old married couple learning to selectively ignore/delay input for me at least.

In the mean time you could do the relearn procedure.

1. Turn key to ON, but don't start the motor.
2. Slowly depress the gas pedal all the way to the floor.
3. Release the gas pedal quickly.
4. Turn key off.
5. Repeat steps 1-4 twice more for a total of three times.

Stupid question but what does this exactly do again? Iv never done this. Wonder if there is any added benefit.

Previous rides:
2011 Sierra 1500 155K, too many mods to list. (RIP 01-05-2019)
2001 Durango R/T 5.9. 230K. SOLD 5-1-19

They laugh at me because I’m different. I laugh at them because they’re all the same- Heath Ledger

#4107832 - 05/06/21 07:37 PM Re: DBW intake mods (straight business) [Re: Black_Sunshine]
2008interceptor Offline
Over the Hill

Loc: Pennsylvania
It resets the drive by wire throttle to before it adapts to your driving. Depending on your driving style it can sometimes restore throttle response.

Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 >

Who's Online
2 registered (thephnx39, 1 invisible), 42 Guests and 108 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box

Top Posters (30 Days)
bluejay_32 108
Old_Guy_Stu 91
Dmblanch 76
a_d_a_m 52
RF_Overlord 47
GM_Guy 44
Moby_Vic 38
SocalSam 36
Ponyguy 31
Tenevic_P71 29
Member Spotlight

Copyright 2000-2015 by Crownvic.net and Steve Spaulding. All Rights Reserved.
The photographs, graphics and data contained in this Web site are the properties of the contributors, or Crownvic.net and may not be used without expressed written consent.
Crownvic.net is not affiliated with the Ford motor company.

Happily consuming the fuel saved by Prius owners!