Make payments with PayPal - it's fast, free and secure! registry | CVN on Facebook | tech | news | email login Make payments with PayPal - it's fast, free and secure!

Welcome to CVN - Your Panther platform headquarters!

Custom Search

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#2807346 - 02/05/14 07:29 PM Gas pump always shuts off on me
TexasTrav Offline

Loc: Houston TX
Hi everyone recently I've noticed the pump shutting off on me while I fill up my 98 cvp. I don't know why, it happens at multiple pumps and the only way to fill up my car is to barely hold the lever.. Any recommendations?

Links
#2807354 - 02/05/14 07:48 PM Re: Gas pump always shuts off on me [Re: TexasTrav]
gplayer Offline
Over the Hill

Loc: Atlanta, Georgia
Originally Posted By: TexasTrav
Hi everyone recently I've noticed the pump shutting off on me while I fill up my 98 cvp. I don't know why, it happens at multiple pumps and the only way to fill up my car is to barely hold the lever.. Any recommendations?

There is a "breather" tube in the gas tank/filler neck, and it basically keeps air flowing into the gas tank while you pump. When gas reaches it, it covers the hole, and it blocks the air from coming in, creating a vacuum. When that happens, the gas pump shuts off because it senses the pressure change. So what is happening to you is that tube/hole is blocked, creating somewhat of that vacuum before the tank is actually full. What you need to do is replace the filler neck, or just clean out the tube.

2003 Acura Cl Type-S, current DD, 140,000 miles. 6 speed manual (One of ~3750). Pioneer single low profile 10 inch, Pioneer GM5100T.

1970 Chevy C20 Project truck, SBC, 4 speed manual. Go-Fast goodies include: 400 crankshaft, bored .030 over, Vortec heads, Comp Cams XR252HR, hardened pushrods, 1.6 roller rockers, Scat Pro Stock forged connecting rods, Edlebrock Air Gap intake, Holley 650 Carb, Mallory Unilite distributor. Suspension: Front disc brakes with 2.5 inch drop spindles, Hotchkiss shocks, 4 inch drop coils in the rear, 3.73 gears, 265/40/R18 rear tires, and American Racing Torque thrust 18's. 13.9 1/4 mile.

#2807355 - 02/05/14 07:48 PM Re: Gas pump always shuts off on me [Re: TexasTrav]
abyrnes81 Offline

Loc: Citrus County, Florida
My 01 did the very same thing for a long time. I believe it has something to do with the emissions stuff under the trunk.

Search

Here's what the site search yielded.

Edited by abyrnes81 (02/05/14 07:51 PM)

2001 P71-supercharged 5.4, ported Eaton, 6lb pulley, 3.73s, T56 Magnum, Hooker Aerochambers, 17x9 Soft 8s, 255-50-17 Nitto 555s

#2807358 - 02/05/14 07:54 PM Re: Gas pump always shuts off on me [Re: gplayer]
TexasTrav Offline

Loc: Houston TX
How would I remove that/the procedure?

#2807359 - 02/05/14 07:55 PM Re: Gas pump always shuts off on me [Re: TexasTrav]
gplayer Offline
Over the Hill

That I cannot help you as much with, I would read the threads abyrnes linked to, they have a more detailed description of how to fix it.

2003 Acura Cl Type-S, current DD, 140,000 miles. 6 speed manual (One of ~3750). Pioneer single low profile 10 inch, Pioneer GM5100T.

1970 Chevy C20 Project truck, SBC, 4 speed manual. Go-Fast goodies include: 400 crankshaft, bored .030 over, Vortec heads, Comp Cams XR252HR, hardened pushrods, 1.6 roller rockers, Scat Pro Stock forged connecting rods, Edlebrock Air Gap intake, Holley 650 Carb, Mallory Unilite distributor. Suspension: Front disc brakes with 2.5 inch drop spindles, Hotchkiss shocks, 4 inch drop coils in the rear, 3.73 gears, 265/40/R18 rear tires, and American Racing Torque thrust 18's. 13.9 1/4 mile.

#2807480 - 02/06/14 07:06 AM Re: Gas pump always shuts off on me [Re: TexasTrav]
LazarMP71 Offline

Loc: Illinois, United States
I had this on every Crown Vic I owned. P71 and LX. As long as I don't put the gas tube in all the way it wont shut off.

I push it all the way in then pull back out like 1/3 the way. Probably not the safest move but it works

#2807483 - 02/06/14 07:19 AM Re: Gas pump always shuts off on me [Re: TexasTrav]
AACoPD05 Offline
Over the Hill

Loc: Maryland
My '11 does it but my '04 does not.
Mods: 21mm rear sway bar, Marauder head unit, Marauder sub/amp, Ford "premium" two-way door and deck speakers, Curless cure, Ford Focus fog lamps with Marauder head light switch, trunk organizer, short over head console with Homelink.

2001 F250 crew cab, 7.3L Diesel

2017 Explorer Police Interceptor

#2807505 - 02/06/14 08:21 AM Re: Gas pump always shuts off on me [Re: LazarMP71]
PoliceInterceptr Offline

Poobah

Loc: Miami, FL
Originally Posted By: LazarMP71
I had this on every Crown Vic I owned. P71 and LX. As long as I don't put the gas tube in all the way it wont shut off.

I push it all the way in then pull back out like 1/3 the way. Probably not the safest move but it works

I do the same with my Grand Cherokee. If it's all the way in and I set the pump to pump by itself at the highest setting it'll shut off. I pull it out a bit and if necessary set the pump to a medium setting (1 notch back on the lever holder).
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." - George Orwell.
"America is all about speed - hot, nasty badass speed." - Eleanor Roosevelt.

#2807895 - 02/07/14 12:47 AM Re: Gas pump always shuts off on me [Re: TexasTrav]
Justice Offline

Loc: Texas, USA
I have had it happen to my 07 GMQ a few times, but a little adjustment and it just pumps.

My 05 mustang however... What a pain in the neck that one. I am holding that damn thing nearly upside down the whole time. Otherwise it would continue to click off...

#2807917 - 02/07/14 05:34 AM Re: Gas pump always shuts off on me [Re: gplayer]
therealdnewton3 Offline

Loc: Indianapolis
Originally Posted By: gplayer

There is a "breather" tube in the gas tank/filler neck, and it basically keeps air flowing into the gas tank while you pump. When gas reaches it, it covers the hole, and it blocks the air from coming in, creating a vacuum. When that happens, the gas pump shuts off because it senses the pressure change. So what is happening to you is that tube/hole is blocked, creating somewhat of that vacuum before the tank is actually full. What you need to do is replace the filler neck, or just clean out the tube.

That isn't right ...

Air is not "flowing into" the system when you fill the tank. The tanks are a fixed volume; they don't expand and contract. You don't put air AND gas in when you fill. The air comes OUT when you fill with gas going IN. That tube exists as an over-pressure protection device. When gas goes in at high velocity, and if it did not have that vent tube, the air that existed in the tank would become pressurized, and then when you removed the nozzle, the gas would spit back out with significant force, make for a messy and dangerous condition. The vent tube is there to relieve the air wanting to escape while you fill. And generally, these vent tubes are pretty much trouble free; as long as they don't crack (causing emissions control leaks), they are fine.

This issue may actually linked to the EVAP system mounted under the trunk. I cannot assure you of that; this is juts a guess on my part. There is a breather element that can become clogged with dirt and debris. Most folks just replace it, but there is a short write-up here about how to disassemble and clean, saving the money. I have not yet had to service mine, so I've not looked at the whole assembly and it's function directly. I suspect that the vent tube may be tied into the EVAP system because if the vent tube were open to atmosphere all the time, it would kind of defeat the purpose of the EVAP system in the first place. The EVAP is there to collect gas fumes and store them for future use. It's purpose in life is to receive/return gas vapor during expansion and contraction with the changes of filling and barometric pressure deltas and temperature changes. If the vent tube were open to atmosphere at all times, what good would the EVAP be?

If I have that wrong, someone please correct me.

Edited by therealdnewton3 (02/07/14 05:41 AM)

HERS: 2005 Grand Marquis LS with stock struts/shocks with 26mm/15mm sway bar (less control than mine but more than stock, however it has heated seats so the rest does not matter to her!)

SON'S: 2006 CVLX; pending suspension upgrades

#2808255 - 02/08/14 10:30 AM Re: Gas pump always shuts off on me [Re: therealdnewton3]
CrownVic97 Offline

Over the Hill

Loc: Brockton, MA
My 2008 does this too, I just keep the nozzle half way in.

#2808264 - 02/08/14 10:53 AM Re: Gas pump always shuts off on me [Re: therealdnewton3]
gplayer Offline
Over the Hill

Originally Posted By: therealdnewton3
Originally Posted By: gplayer

That isn't right ...

Air is not "flowing into" the system when you fill the tank. The tanks are a fixed volume; they don't expand and contract. You don't put air AND gas in when you fill. The air comes OUT when you fill with gas going IN. That tube exists as an over-pressure protection device. When gas goes in at high velocity, and if it did not have that vent tube, the air that existed in the tank would become pressurized, and then when you removed the nozzle, the gas would spit back out with significant force, make for a messy and dangerous condition. The vent tube is there to relieve the air wanting to escape while you fill. And generally, these vent tubes are pretty much trouble free; as long as they don't crack (causing emissions control leaks), they are fine.

This issue may actually linked to the EVAP system mounted under the trunk. I cannot assure you of that; this is juts a guess on my part. There is a breather element that can become clogged with dirt and debris. Most folks just replace it, but there is a short write-up here about how to disassemble and clean, saving the money. I have not yet had to service mine, so I've not looked at the whole assembly and it's function directly. I suspect that the vent tube may be tied into the EVAP system because if the vent tube were open to atmosphere all the time, it would kind of defeat the purpose of the EVAP system in the first place. The EVAP is there to collect gas fumes and store them for future use. It's purpose in life is to receive/return gas vapor during expansion and contraction with the changes of filling and barometric pressure deltas and temperature changes. If the vent tube were open to atmosphere at all times, what good would the EVAP be?

If I have that wrong, someone please correct me.

I guess I missunderstood the purpose of the vent tube. My bad, didnt mean to spread mis-information.

#2808311 - 02/08/14 02:39 PM Re: Gas pump always shuts off on me [Re: TexasTrav]
GoogleAndroid Offline

Loc: PA
Yeah, my 98 Vic did that too. It didn't always do it, and I could never find the cause, but the fix was to pull the pump out a little bit when filling up.

2004 Lincoln Town Car Signature, 116k, stock

#2808538 - 02/09/14 01:49 PM Re: Gas pump always shuts off on me [Re: CrownVic97]
Ironbull Offline
Rookie

Loc: Ohio
Same here, but since I'm replacing the rusted tank on my 05' soon as the weather breaks the filler assembly will be replaced as well.

Edited by Ironbull (02/09/14 01:50 PM)

2005 CVPI (Fully optioned)
A.K.A. "Factory Freak"
AFE, Steeda pullies, 2.5inch exhaust, X-pipe/w Magnaflows, 3600 stall, built 4R75W, rear tailshaft lube-mod, factory 3.55 gear
Staggered 20inch black chrome FR500 wheels, KYB's, Eatons, F&R Addcos
Tuned by Dayton Performance Motorsports
Remember kiddies, E85 and nitrous are your friends.😉

#2808550 - 02/09/14 02:58 PM Re: Gas pump always shuts off on me [Re: TexasTrav]
gahorneck Offline
Over the Hill

Loc: AL
My '09 is very sensitive during fueling, all the time.
2009 Grand Marquis - AFE CAI, ADTR ported manifold, HyperTech tune, 3L27 RAR, dual exhaust, Shelby GT 500 wheels, Goodyear Eagle F1's (255/285's), KYB CVPI shocks, Stillen Motorsports rotors, Hawk HPS pads, ADDCO sway bars, Metco control arms & watts. http://youtu.be/1N4bR_LqDiE

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Who's Online
4 registered (professorP7B, hot__box, Old_Guy_Stu, 1 invisible), 48 Guests and 246 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box

Top Posters (30 Days)
bluejay_32 161
a_d_a_m 106
Old_Guy_Stu 102
DudeAbides 54
Moby_Vic 51
CrystalPistol 48
TheCableGuy 43
RF_Overlord 43
Ponyguy 41
Rainbowpizza 36
Member Spotlight

Copyright 2000-2015 by Crownvic.net and Steve Spaulding. All Rights Reserved.
The photographs, graphics and data contained in this Web site are the properties of the contributors, or Crownvic.net and may not be used without expressed written consent.
Crownvic.net is not affiliated with the Ford motor company.

Happily consuming the fuel saved by Prius owners!