Make payments with PayPal - it's fast, free and secure! registry | CVN on Facebook | tech | news | email login Make payments with PayPal - it's fast, free and secure!

Welcome to CVN - Your Panther platform headquarters!

Custom Search

Topic Options
#2808761 - 02/10/14 10:16 AM 1985 transmission slipping a bit. Need opinions.
BillyBishop Offline
Expert mechanic
Poobah

Loc: KY
So I noticed this morning that my 85's transmission slipped a tiny tiny bit, and then later this after noon it slipped more coming down my street. It wasn't terrible, but it just revved kind of high before shifting. I checked the fluid and it was a great color and was bright red, but it looked like I could see tiny bits of something in it. Could just be sludge, because it didn't look particularly metallic.

Anyway, what's the most likely cause of trans slip? I'll flush the fluid soon, but I've seen cars with fluid full of friction material and sludge that didn't slip. I have NO clue how to adjust the TV cable or replace/repair the bushing on a 1985, and I haven't even checked the cable because it seems to be different than on EFI ones.

Also, when AODs go, how do they generally do it? Are they toast or do you keep any gears? All I really need is 1st. I drive it like a mile to work and that's it.

1985 2 door vic-------2003 P71: Lots of mods-----1994 Buick Toastmaster
Past: 2002 P71, 1996 LTC, 2003 P71

#2808791 - 02/10/14 01:07 PM Re: 1985 transmission slipping a bit. Need opinions. [Re: BillyBishop]
BigMerc96 Offline
I know nothing
Posting Addict

Loc: I can see Detroit from here!
It seems with AODs that they lose 4th, then 3rd, but keep 1st and 2nd. Same as a 4R70W, 4th is weak. Thats not to say they all go that way, but most AOD cars I've seen that have "bad transmissions" still have 1st and 2nd. I believe this is how they fail when the TV cable lets go.

2006 Audi A6 ~132k miles, stock.
1998 Mercury Grand Marquis LS HPP ~100k miles, slowly acquiring modifications.
1997 Town Car Cartier ~145k miles, Ported Plenum, Gutted Airbox, Contour E-fan Retrofit, Dual exhaust with Magnaflows, cats deleted, MSD Ignition, KYB Gas-A-Justs, P71 front bar, air ride reinstated, Projector retrofit, Caddy 4-note horn retrofit, Wood rim steering wheel retrofit, holistic weight reduction as the parts fall off..
1996 Mercury Grand Marquis GS 117,485mi. R.I.P. 7/14/12 frown

#2809017 - 02/11/14 08:55 AM Re: 1985 transmission slipping a bit. Need opinions. [Re: BillyBishop]
88grandmarq Offline

4R70W rebuilder
Poobah

Loc: Indiana
Originally Posted By: BillyBishop
So I noticed this morning that my 85's transmission slipped a tiny tiny bit, and then later this after noon it slipped more coming down my street. It wasn't terrible, but it just revved kind of high before shifting. I checked the fluid and it was a great color and was bright red, but it looked like I could see tiny bits of something in it. Could just be sludge, because it didn't look particularly metallic.

Anyway, what's the most likely cause of trans slip? I'll flush the fluid soon, but I've seen cars with fluid full of friction material and sludge that didn't slip. I have NO clue how to adjust the TV cable or replace/repair the bushing on a 1985, and I haven't even checked the cable because it seems to be different than on EFI ones.

Also, when AODs go, how do they generally do it? Are they toast or do you keep any gears? All I really need is 1st. I drive it like a mile to work and that's it.

If its got debris floating around in the fluid, its going to fail pretty soon, and continuing to drive it, circulating the debris will only make it worse.

usually the direct clutch (third gear) fails and/or the OD band burns and fails.
As long as the forward clutch applies and holds the transmission will have 1st gear.

rebuilds on the pre-87 models can get expensive because they require lubrication modifications to make it more durable.
88 Grand Marquis LS - The original - Totaled 5/2006

I rebuild AODE/4R70W/4R75E Transmissions, check out my Facebook page for my latest project; https://www.facebook.com/Ford-transmission-repairs-Jmod-348414635312478/

Who's Online
0 registered (), 135 Guests and 7 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box

Top Posters (30 Days)
Dmblanch 33
Old_Guy_Stu 32
RF_Overlord 31
speedfreak 27
Bellwestern80 25
LordAeneas 23
PrincePolaris 20
a_d_a_m 17
Traffic22 16
GM_Guy 16
Member Spotlight

Copyright 2000-2015 by Crownvic.net and Steve Spaulding. All Rights Reserved.
The photographs, graphics and data contained in this Web site are the properties of the contributors, or Crownvic.net and may not be used without expressed written consent.
Crownvic.net is not affiliated with the Ford motor company.

Happily consuming the fuel saved by Prius owners!