Make payments with PayPal - it's fast, free and secure! registry | CVN on Facebook | tech | news | email login Make payments with PayPal - it's fast, free and secure!

Welcome to CVN - Your Panther platform headquarters!

Custom Search

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#2851602 - 07/30/14 07:48 PM An article about Alternator pulleys for our cars
1 Adam 12 Offline

Over the Hill

Loc: Glendale, AZ
If you have a Police Interceptor 200 Amp 04+ Alternator, here's to you to pay attention my friends!

PLEASE NOTE: Does NOT apply to 3/4/6G Civilian Alternators on the CVs, and we are not discussing Marauder alternators either.

Most stock and pulled units should have the original "One way clutch" pulley on the unit (first image right)
Ford designed these alternators with a one way clutch (OAP or OWC) for a reason. The mass of the spinning alternator is so great that it can actually "overrun" the belt when the transmission shifts, or the car turns off, meaning the belt is now slower than the alternator's pulley, so it "squeals" or "chirps" loudly. Think of it like spinning your tires - the tires your Alternator, the road your belt. The standard 6G alternators can do thistoo, when pushed. When this "overrunning" occurs, it causes heat to be transferred to the bearings in the Alternator. Enough episodes of this will cook off the lubricant in the bearings, which means either bearing replacement, or a new alternator.

The Police alternator was meant for the Police and their high amp needs, it does NOT share any other parts with other Ford Alternators - hence, it was built from the ground up.

There are now TWO types of clutch pulleys on the market - the standard one way clutch (OAP or OWC), which Ford uses and pictured above, and the improved version called a Overrunning alternator decoupler (OAD).

If you have a rebuilt Police unit that includes a standard Alternator pulley as depicted above, get rid of it, and install the proper pulley on it.

Here is a backwards example of what happened with me - going from standard pulley to the improved "Decoupler" pulley.

My Police Interceptor Alternator came with a standard pulley, because it was a core that was rebuilt to high-amp specs by Mechman - a respected car audio Alternator builder. All rebuilt Alternators except the "high line" ones from Autozone I have seen have a standard pulley. Once I swapped it out for a Gates OAD, I could IMMEDIATELY feel the difference. The engine felt "smoother" (slightly, but noticeable), and when I slowed down at stops, the RPM needle wasn't moving up and down as much. It stayed almost where the car's idle was set at - it never moved around as much as it did before. Plus, you get the benefit of the original Ford one-way clutch that prevents belt chirp from transmission downshifts/upshifts. It also helps remove stress from the entire belt drive system.

This won't fix (and isn't meant to) issues like pulley misalignment or worn components.

However, the clutched pulleys (Ford or Litens) don't last forever - they are designed as a sacrifical component. These pulley units should last 30-50K or more miles before needing replacement, depending on your driving style. If you got a original Ford 200A Police Alt with the pulley already on there, you don't know what it has been subjected to, or how many miles are on it. Replace it immediatly!

Some people find these pulleys a hassle, but when you get less stress on the entire belt drive system, no chirping on upshift/downshift, etc. - it's well worth it. Plus, they are VERY easy to remove with the right tools. Speaking of that, you DO need a special bit set to remove the pulley (and it doesn't matter, you would need an impact wrench PLUS the bit set to change to a standard pulley) - I purchased mine on eBay for $35 from Lisle, or you can politely ask your local Alternator/Starter shop to change it out for you for a few bucks like I did. With your own tools, though, you can change one out in under 10 minutes ON the vehicle! Many people do not know that a vast majority of vehicles coming off the assembly line - mostly 4/6 cylinder and espicially diesles, now come with an OAP alternator clutch standard - and it CANNOT be replaced with a standard pulley, otherwise it damages everything in the belt drive. Alot of people don't understand these pulleys, or don't want to go the hassle with him. With our Crown Vics, it's a good idea to keep the pulley (your choice, as always), but like I said, on other cars, it can destroy your accessory belt drive. See Litens OAD site for more info at www.decouplerpulley.com.

REPLACEMENT:

You'll know these units (including the stock Ford one-way clutched pulley) need replacing if you hear a loud buzz noise when you turn the car off, hear metallic noises from the alternator from soft to very loud, you hear belt screeches you used not to, or the alternator stops charging completely. You can easily test this by revving the engine to 2500 RPM, and then shutting the vehicle off. If there is a buzz or grinding, the decoupler has failed.

Usually, there is a warning period where you will hear noise before it fails completely. Don't ignore it - Get one and install ASAP.
There are additional videos on Youtube that can help you determine it with the bit set I described earlier.

In closing,

If you want belt chirp, and other problems, fine - go back to a solid pulley. Yes, it is another thing that can break, but something that keeps the damn car quiet, and prolongs other components. For $50-60 for 50K miles, I'm in.

And if you want the whole enchilada, add in a Gatorback belt. If your car's older, check the Tensioner and replace it too. It may need it!

For more info, see Gates or Litens Websites:

www.decouplerpulley.com
www.gates.com

Part Numbers for 2004+ CV Mitsubishi Police Alternators:

Gates: 34007P
Litens: 92004
Goodyear: (copies Gates)

Links
#2851763 - 07/31/14 11:45 AM Re: An article about Alternator pulleys for our cars [Re: 1 Adam 12]
JimO Offline

Loc: Brooksville, Fl.
Great writeup, but could you please give out the part number, or the proper name for the special tool to remove the clutched pulley. I need one and dont know what its called or where to even start looking.
2006 Crown Victoria Police Interceptor, 90,000 mi. ex Lafayette, Indiana K-9 unit, rear seat delete with K-9 cage, spot light, 2 of the origina 4 antenna, stock motor, synthetic oil, headlight relay from BH1976 with 80/100 watt bulbs. Window tint, 20% front, 5% rear. Safe and sound glass. LED footwell,trunk, front marker and tag lights. Electronic flasher mod. Rear bumper tuck. Reese class III trailer hitch. Air lift air bags in the rear springs. Focus fog lights. More in the future.

More power comes from better efficiency and gets you better MPG.

#2851801 - 07/31/14 05:14 PM Re: An article about Alternator pulleys for our cars [Re: 1 Adam 12]
bspurloc Online   content
Climber

Loc: New England
If everyone's PIs dont have all the lights on top, radios, laptops and all the other high current draws why is the 200amp even needed?
just to have this pulley?

I'de like to jam one on my standard alternator to shut it up!

Wow watching the comparison video you see how this newer clutch completely smooths things out. I never realized how crazy things get with a solid pulley

Edited by bspurloc (07/31/14 05:21 PM)

#2851854 - 07/31/14 10:34 PM Re: An article about Alternator pulleys for our cars [Re: 1 Adam 12]
SocalSam Offline
Over the Hill

Loc: SFV, Calif.
Nice write-up! An easier way to test the clutched pulley is to pull the belt, spin the pulley by hand and reverse direction. You should feel the pulley slipping as the alternator overspins. If the clutch has seized, it will feel like a solid pulley which it now is. This works at the junkyard when buying complete alternators, which are cheap and plentiful around here. I have a couple spares in the garage.
2004 CV LX Sport #1, 57,000 miles -- Never was
2004 CV LX Sport #2, 121,000 miles -- Current
2008 CVPI Arizona Beige, 121,000 miles, 677 idle hours -- Current
2005 CVPI Ex-San Diego P.D. -- 2 month loaner

#2851938 - 08/01/14 12:53 PM Re: An article about Alternator pulleys for our cars [Re: 1 Adam 12]
1 Adam 12 Offline

Over the Hill

Quote:

Great writeup, but could you please give out the part number, or the proper name for the special tool to remove the clutched pulley. I need one and dont know what its called or where to even start looking.

The parts are 17MM Hex Bit for the rotor and a 10MM Allen-type shaft.

Lisle Part Number 57650 for an entire set that will do all on the market (currently $24 on Amazon), or you can get the two bits for our cars only seperately, Gates Part #91024-3 and Part #91024-5.

Quote:

If everyone's PIs dont have all the lights on top, radios, laptops and all the other high current draws why is the 200amp even needed?
just to have this pulley?

It's for people who already have the PI alternators. You don't need to go run out and buy one. Some people need them for their Car Audio projects.

2007 Smokestone LX HPP - 17.5K miles 1/2016
'05 PI Airbox/Ziptube, BOC 91 Octane Tune, PowerSlot F&R Rotors, Raybestos Police Patrol Pads F&R, 260A Mechman Alt w/OAD & Big 3, Ported Intake Plenum, Adco Front & Rear Swaybars, Metco Control Arms, Metco Watts Link, KYB Police Struts/Shocks F&R, Arnott HPP-spec "Limo" rear bags, Walker Quietflow 3's w/Resonator delete, 3.55 TracLoc conversion, 180 T-Stat, 22C Plugs, GY Eagle Sport AS Tires, Kenwood DNN992 Nav Headunit & Speakers, Viper 5901 Alarm/Remote Start & Street Guardian Dashcam

MY ARTICLES

Pulleys for Police Alternators | Replacing Door Weather Barriers | Exhaust Dampers and their importance

#2854869 - 08/14/14 12:15 PM Re: An article about Alternator pulleys for our cars [Re: 1 Adam 12]
JimO Offline

Thanks, got it ordered. When I bought my CVPI I thought that whine when I shut it off was normal for the clutched pulley, until the alt. went out completely. Now I can fix the old one and the bad one I bought on eBay, while I use the good replacement they sent. I can replace all the clutches with decouplers and make some of my money back.
2006 Crown Victoria Police Interceptor, 90,000 mi. ex Lafayette, Indiana K-9 unit, rear seat delete with K-9 cage, spot light, 2 of the origina 4 antenna, stock motor, synthetic oil, headlight relay from BH1976 with 80/100 watt bulbs. Window tint, 20% front, 5% rear. Safe and sound glass. LED footwell,trunk, front marker and tag lights. Electronic flasher mod. Rear bumper tuck. Reese class III trailer hitch. Air lift air bags in the rear springs. Focus fog lights. More in the future.

#2854870 - 08/14/14 12:20 PM Re: An article about Alternator pulleys for our cars [Re: 1 Adam 12]
1 Adam 12 Offline

Over the Hill

Cool.
Just make sure to follow the instructions!
One member reported the Lisle shaft bit is 11mm vs 10mm, so if you have problems with it let me know so I can suggest a different kit.

'05 PI Airbox/Ziptube, BOC 91 Octane Tune, PowerSlot F&R Rotors, Raybestos Police Patrol Pads F&R, 260A Mechman Alt w/OAD & Big 3, Ported Intake Plenum, Adco Front & Rear Swaybars, Metco Control Arms, Metco Watts Link, KYB Police Struts/Shocks F&R, Arnott HPP-spec "Limo" rear bags, Walker Quietflow 3's w/Resonator delete, 3.55 TracLoc conversion, 180 T-Stat, 22C Plugs, GY Eagle Sport AS Tires, Kenwood DNN992 Nav Headunit & Speakers, Viper 5901 Alarm/Remote Start & Street Guardian Dashcam

MY ARTICLES

Pulleys for Police Alternators | Replacing Door Weather Barriers | Exhaust Dampers and their importance

#2854878 - 08/14/14 01:28 PM Re: An article about Alternator pulleys for our cars [Re: 1 Adam 12]
JimO Offline

Thanks, lisle has a pretty good reputation, I hope it is ok.

#2855497 - 08/17/14 08:33 AM Re: An article about Alternator pulleys for our cars [Re: 1 Adam 12]
73vwTodd Offline
Over the Hill

Loc: Florida
I really wish there was a simple way that 98-02 (and 03?) CVers could use the decoupler pulley on their alternators... there's no way that I've been able to find.

#2855584 - 08/17/14 05:02 PM Re: An article about Alternator pulleys for our cars [Re: 1 Adam 12]
bspurloc Online   content
Climber

Loc: New England
I noticed one of these alternators on craigslist semi cheap. can you just bolt and plug them into a non PI?
I know I read the answer to this last week or something but too lazy to scan my memory

#2855793 - 08/18/14 04:09 PM Re: An article about Alternator pulleys for our cars [Re: bspurloc]
73vwTodd Offline
Over the Hill

Originally Posted By: bspurloc
I noticed one of these alternators on craigslist semi cheap. can you just bolt and plug them into a non PI?
I know I read the answer to this last week or something but too lazy to scan my memory

You can as long as it's either an 03 or an 04 or newer I believe... not sure which year it started, but in either 03 or 04... the voltage regulation is handled by the computer rather than the alternator (if I'm understanding it correctly). That's the problem with putting it on an older Crown Victoria.

#2856037 - 08/19/14 04:21 PM Re: An article about Alternator pulleys for our cars [Re: 1 Adam 12]
1 Adam 12 Offline

Over the Hill

If someone wants to contact Zen SA, http://www.zensa.com.br/en/, and ask if they have a clutched pulley for the 6G alternators, be my guest. Make sure to mention it is NOT for the Police alternator.

You will get the clutch function (belt chirps) but not the additional benefits of the Litens/Gates one.

MY ARTICLES

#2856113 - 08/19/14 10:49 PM Re: An article about Alternator pulleys for our cars [Re: 1 Adam 12]
1 Adam 12 Offline

Over the Hill

Additional info from P71Interceptor's site:

Quote:

There is also a clutched 6g alternator used in some of the 2005-2006 lincoln navigators and 2005-2006 ford expeditions. Two different alternator models were used in these vehicles, so finding a pre-owned "large case" clutched model that you're after can be difficult because there are a lot of "small case" unclutched models out there. A very limited number of 2003-2004 navigators/expeditions also will have clutched 6g alternators in them. But no clutched alternators were factory installed by ford in the 03-04 navigators/expeditions. Instead, ford issued a technical service bulletin (tsb) to their ford dealerships advising them to install a clutched alternator model if customers came in with certain electrical problems. Do note that the 03-06 navigator/expediton alternators with the clutch will have a 60mm pulley which is kind of large for a crownvic. The 03-04 navigator/expediton alternator (WAI 1-2533-31FD) has an I-FR-A voltage regulator that should work in the 1992-2002 crownvics. The 05-06 navigator/expediton alternator (WAI 1-2668-31FD) has an FR-SIG-A voltage regulator that should work in the 2003-2010 crownvics.

MY ARTICLES

#2856144 - 08/20/14 07:15 AM Re: An article about Alternator pulleys for our cars [Re: 1 Adam 12]
Chevyguy Offline

Poobah

Loc: Winchester Mass
Your lifetime estimate sounds vastly conservative.

My MM clutch lasted 100K with the alternator eventually failing to charge but no noises, clutch apparently still operating.

My 04 LX has a 2005 200A alternator with 75K miles plus about 10K from me so far. Plenty of 04 up P-71 owners have never touched the clutch with 100K and up of police abuse.

New Daily 2016 Dodge Charger R/T Road and track, purchase with 16K now 23K after 3 months. 5.7 Hemi, 8 speed ZF trans 3.06 open rear 13.98 @ 99.2 mph 4740 lbs with driver!!

R.I.P Photobucket 10 years of hosting down the drain

Project car 74 Chevy Laguna type S-3, # match 400 SBC

Previous rides
93 P-71 2001 P-73, 94 TC Exec, 96 TC Signature, 04 LX

#2856279 - 08/20/14 07:40 PM Re: An article about Alternator pulleys for our cars [Re: 1 Adam 12]
73vwTodd Offline
Over the Hill

Originally Posted By: 1 Adam 12
If someone wants to contact Zen SA, http://www.zensa.com.br/en/, and ask if they have a clutched pulley for the 6G alternators, be my guest. Make sure to mention it is NOT for the Police alternator.

You will get the clutch function (belt chirps) but not the additional benefits of the Litens/Gates one.

Right, and that's really what I'd love to have. The Litens pulley smooths out the belt, essentially eliminating the instant pulling / tugging of the belt based on the engine RPM. It smooths out the operation of the entire pulley system which helps with throttle snaps, smoother idle, longer belt life, and longer alternator life. Of course, our cars don't really have a problem with smooth idle... but would be nice to see just how much better it can get.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Google!
Who's Online
2 registered (Piligrim, av8or1), 47 Guests and 192 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Email Login
EMail Login Name
Password
 New users, sign up!
Top Posters (30 Days)
av8or1 328
bluejay_32 274
a_d_a_m 240
Old_Guy_Stu 143
BigMerc96 137
Moby_Vic 102
DudeAbides 93
IPreferDIY 74
hot__box 72
Blu 71
Member Spotlight

Copyright 2000-2015 by Crownvic.net and Steve Spaulding. All Rights Reserved.
The photographs, graphics and data contained in this Web site are the properties of the contributors, or Crownvic.net and may not be used without expressed written consent.
Crownvic.net is not affiliated with the Ford motor company.

Happily consuming the fuel saved by Prius owners!