Make payments with PayPal - it's fast, free and secure! registry | CVN on Facebook | tech | news | email login Make payments with PayPal - it's fast, free and secure!

Welcome to CVN - Your Panther platform headquarters!

Custom Search

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#2718075 - 06/05/13 01:45 AM Re: California Exhaust Options [Re: SocalSam]
REAL4WD Offline
Over the Hill

Loc: Glendale, CA
Originally Posted By: SocalSam
Some guidance here:

http://www.bar.ca.gov/80_BARResources/02_SmogCheck/Used_Vehicle_Smog_Equip_Req.html

I'm told you cannot move the position of smog equipment like cats and oh two sensors so mid and long pipes are out. Shorties and other go fast goodies are good as long as the product has a CARB E.O. number and you display an underhood sticker. After cat pipes are good to go.

Sheesh, I feel like hugging a tree now.

unfortunately CARB are idiots.

what I mean by that is just because an item has a CARB EO (Executive Order) does not mean it is legal to use on our cars. they force manufacturers to pay for their products to have an EO and the EO is not attached to the engine, it is attached to the model of car. so Mustang aftermarket shorty headers may be legal in CA on a Mustang but most likely are not legal on a Panther. This being because the manufacturer of the product is most likely not willing to shell out the extra money to get an EO number on a vehicle they may or may not break even on for the cost of the EO.

04 Crown Victoria LX Sport
95 AM General Hummer

Links
#2718280 - 06/05/13 04:42 PM Re: California Exhaust Options [Re: USNP71]
freewayfuntime Offline
Climber

Loc: Oakland, CA
Best way to go is custom catback. No headers. OR, get into a car club lol they always have smog hook up. I recrecently went to a big muscle car meet in santa cruz. There were about 300 cars, I think I was the only person who would have legally passed smog.

#2718743 - 06/06/13 01:42 PM Re: California Exhaust Options [Re: USNP71]
USNP71 Offline
n00b

Loc: Claremont, CA
So I see that Magnaflow has direct replacement cat's chambered in 2.25, but does anyone know if they have the same, or similar bend cats in a 2.5 design? Or know of any other cats that will fit in the same spots, possibly cheaper than magnaflow?

#2718764 - 06/06/13 02:50 PM Re: California Exhaust Options [Re: USNP71]
tx06p71 Offline

Loc: austin, tx
check out 03redvicsport's setup- he ran all four 2.5" cats with his obx system.

https://www.crownvic.net/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2568951&page=40

not sure where he got em', but they're out there.
Bumper tuck. Stockpiling parts. Stay tuned....

#2718765 - 06/06/13 02:51 PM Re: California Exhaust Options [Re: USNP71]
tx06p71 Offline

Loc: austin, tx
oops, thought I had it linked to the photos of his cat setup. it's in there somewhere.....
Bumper tuck. Stockpiling parts. Stay tuned....

#2718772 - 06/06/13 03:23 PM Re: California Exhaust Options [Re: REAL4WD]
SocalSam Offline
Over the Hill

Loc: SFV, Calif.
Originally Posted By: REAL4WD
Some guidance here:

http://www.bar.ca.gov/80_BARResources/02_SmogCheck/Used_Vehicle_Smog_Equip_Req.html

I'm told you cannot move the position of smog equipment like cats and oh two sensors so mid and long pipes are out. Shorties and other go fast goodies are good as long as the product has a CARB E.O. number and you display an underhood sticker. After cat pipes are good to go.

what I mean by that is just because an item has a CARB EO (Executive Order) does not mean it is legal to use on our cars. they force manufacturers to pay for their products to have an EO and the EO is not attached to the engine, it is attached to the model of car. so Mustang aftermarket shorty headers may be legal in CA on a Mustang but most likely are not legal on a Panther. This being because the manufacturer of the product is most likely not willing to shell out the extra money to get an EO number on a vehicle they may or may not break even on for the cost of the EO.

Dammit, the CARB EO cert is vehicle specific. Didn't know that. Why they should care as long as it passes at the pipe is beyond me.
2004 CV LX Sport #1, 57,000 miles -- Never was
2004 CV LX Sport #2, 121,000 miles -- Current
2008 CVPI Arizona Beige, 121,000 miles, 677 idle hours -- Current
2005 CVPI Ex-San Diego P.D. -- 2 month loaner

#2718786 - 06/06/13 04:28 PM Re: California Exhaust Options [Re: USNP71]
88LTDCV351 Offline
Climber

Loc: Union City, California
JBA makes some shorty headers but looks like 2001 Crown Vic is specifically excluded as CARB legal. http://arb.ca.gov/msprog/aftermkt/devices/eo/D-216-23.pdf

#2719122 - 06/07/13 02:59 AM Re: California Exhaust Options [Re: tx06p71]
freewayfuntime Offline
Climber

Originally Posted By: tx06p71
check out 03redvicsport's setup- he ran all four 2.5" cats with his obx system.

https://www.crownvic.net/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2568951&page=40

not sure where he got em', but they're out there.

03redvicsport moved his cats. Here in CA that's considered illegal even if you have all four present. They have to stay in the stock location to pass the visual.
magnaflow is the only company that makes ca legal high flow cats, but they are exspensive.
Im not sure if this will work but you could try to find oem cats from a shelby or a svt cobra. Somebody is always getting rid of them on cl. They flow well enough to support those high hp engines. The smog guy wouldn't know the difference.

#2719151 - 06/07/13 08:57 AM Re: California Exhaust Options [Re: SocalSam]
REAL4WD Offline
Over the Hill

Loc: Glendale, CA
Originally Posted By: REAL4WD
Some guidance here:

Dammit, the CARB EO cert is vehicle specific. Didn't know that. Why they should care as long as it passes at the pipe is beyond me.

they shouldn't. but then again it's not really about protecting the environment, it's about control.

04 Crown Victoria LX Sport
95 AM General Hummer

#2719185 - 06/07/13 11:14 AM Re: California Exhaust Options [Re: USNP71]
Yellowneck86 Offline
Over the Hill

Loc: East Bay Ca
So the only cost effective way to improve exhaust in CA is to swap out the mufflers? Been debating if I want to add flowmaster super 44s or magnaflows.
2001 Ford Crown Victoria P71 ex SJPD #1180(SOLD)
2008 Ford Mustang GT (SOLD)
2006 Lexus IS350 (Traded)
2015 Lexus GS350 (Daily)

#2719192 - 06/07/13 11:26 AM Re: California Exhaust Options [Re: USNP71]
freewayfuntime Offline
Climber

Talk to chris at adtr. His car casper is supercharged w/ longtubes. Maybe he can let you in on his smog secret.

#2852915 - 08/05/14 04:21 AM Re: California Exhaust Options [Re: USNP71]
USNP71 Offline
n00b

Loc: Claremont, CA
Alright, time to resurrect this thread. The time has come to smog my Vic. Unfortunately the computers that run the test down in the I.E. (at least where I've been) can tell when a code reader has cleared the codes, and won't pass a vehicle if all of the diagnostic tests haven't completed. Problem is, once the tests are completed I get the 420 code. I was trying to put this off as long as possible, but the time has come. I'm still thinking 2.5 inch tubing, universal cats, and probably Flowmasters. Now for the questions. If I replace the dual cat setup with single universal cats, will it still pass the visual as long as they come with an EO sticker? The guy who did the smog check freaked out because he couldn't find the EO sicker for my K&N intake at first. Also, will deleting the second cat cause any issues with the cars computer because of the second o2 sensor that would normally be after the second cat? Thanks for any insight on this.

#2853040 - 08/05/14 04:15 PM Re: California Exhaust Options [Re: USNP71]
Rainyp71 Offline
Climber

Loc: North Carolina, USA
No, deleting the second cat will not cause any issues. Good luck man!

2000 P71 Crown Vic former Gordonsville, VA Police Wrecked @ 200,199 Miles - All fixed! Currently 247,000 Miles
GMAX As-05 tires, custom trunk false floor, autometer tach, Sony Double DIN Head Unit, KYBs all around.

#2853091 - 08/05/14 07:27 PM Re: California Exhaust Options [Re: Yellowneck86]
09mnsp Offline
Over the Hill

Loc: Minnesota, U.S.
Originally Posted By: Yellowneck86
So the only cost effective way to improve exhaust in CA is to swap out the mufflers? Been debating if I want to add flowmaster super 44s or magnaflows.
Do magnaflows. They have a straight through core. Only thing it'll really improve is sound quality though.
Custom tubular rear control arms by Tink, ADTR sway bars by Eibach, Lowered, Detroit Trutrac/Motive 4.30, J-modded, Circle D multi disc 3600-3700 stall, OBX LT's and 2.5" X-pipe, 2.5" Dynomax ultraflows into 3" mandrel bent tail pipes, HI Tech stage2 cams, Dragon Oval Plenum/60mm GT500 TB, Steeda Underdrives, Dyno Tuned By APSAutoworks 281rwhp/297rwtq

#2854252 - 08/11/14 12:19 AM Re: California Exhaust Options [Re: USNP71]
knucklehead0202 Offline

Loc: Southern California, U.S.A.
I'm also stuck in Kalifornia. After experimenting with just mufflers and tips on the stock system, I finally went for it and had a local shop bend me up a custom catback. If you take a good luck under your car, you'll see a flange after the cats where it necks down really small. I had them cut it off right there, install a 2.25" x-pipe, 2 really-short glasspacks(like 9") and 2.25" pipe all the way out back to 3.5" tips. When I first did this setup it was with 1-chamber flowmasters, which sounded like ass, so then I did the little glasspacks. It sounds pretty good, probably didn't make a bit of difference in power, but sure is fun. I have some mustang headers that I've toyed with installing but it'd be a hassle and I don't wanna have to pay a "special" smog guy for the privilege. Can't wait to move to a free state where the smog Nazis won't nail me for headers. I think the mod motors sound better with cats than without, but I would like the freedom to use high-flos with a larger diameter. 2.5" is too big for a stock or mildly-modded vic, which is why I went 2.25", because at most I'm going to throw on a plenum, throttle body and mzt. Watch a lot of videos before choosing mufflers, you'll regret it if you don't and change them a bunch of times like I did. Still kinda wanna go to spintechs.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Who's Online
1 registered (FR3AK), 43 Guests and 234 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box

Top Posters (30 Days)
CrystalPistol 362
bluejay_32 324
a_d_a_m 231
Rainbowpizza 167
DudeAbides 149
JeffBoudah 124
Moby_Vic 111
Old_Guy_Stu 77
BigNSlow 69
Bangster 62
Member Spotlight

Copyright 2000-2015 by Crownvic.net and Steve Spaulding. All Rights Reserved.
The photographs, graphics and data contained in this Web site are the properties of the contributors, or Crownvic.net and may not be used without expressed written consent.
Crownvic.net is not affiliated with the Ford motor company.

Happily consuming the fuel saved by Prius owners!