Make payments with PayPal - it's fast, free and secure! registry | CVN on Facebook | tech | news | email login Make payments with PayPal - it's fast, free and secure!

Welcome to CVN - Your Panther platform headquarters!

Custom Search

Topic Options
#2865978 - 10/10/14 04:32 PM Brake Calipers
Doberman Offline

Loc: Tampa, FL
After 104K miles, my pads are thin and need replacement. Will be replacing the rotors at the same time. Rear pads are wearing unevenly so the calipers probably need replacement too. Because of the age and mileage, do you think I should replace all 4 calipers while I'm there?

Links
#2865982 - 10/10/14 04:48 PM Re: Brake Calipers [Re: Doberman]
torotoro Offline
Climber

Loc: NJ

#2866390 - 10/14/14 03:09 AM Re: Brake Calipers [Re: Doberman]
stalag Offline

Over the Hill

Loc: Columbus, OH
Brakes do have rubber parts that do take a pounding due to heat. To restore braking efficiency and to get good life out of the pads, replacement of those parts is recommended. Reman calipers are supposed to be high quality cleaned up replacements for OEM but I as well as others have found variable quality on the replacements from Cardone. I got my calipers reman'd by the following outfit, www.goldlinebrakes.com. Excellent work and you can pick the color. I had him put in stainless steel pistons for technical reasons which are also used in racing. Stainless steel pistons are used in racing applications and are expensive. Without that though, his work is impeccable and beautiful and should be competitive with other sources.

#2867093 - 10/17/14 10:42 AM Re: Brake Calipers [Re: stalag]
Mrvic2004 Offline

Over the Hill

Loc: Kansas City, MO
Originally Posted By: stalag
Brakes do have rubber parts that do take a pounding due to heat. To restore braking efficiency and to get good life out of the pads, replacement of those parts is recommended. Reman calipers are supposed to be high quality cleaned up replacements for OEM but I as well as others have found variable quality on the replacements from Cardone. I got my calipers reman'd by the following outfit, www.goldlinebrakes.com. Excellent work and you can pick the color. I had him put in stainless steel pistons for technical reasons which are also used in racing. Stainless steel pistons are used in racing applications and are expensive. Without that though, his work is impeccable and beautiful and should be competitive with other sources.

So I take it, it is pretty expensive to go this route?

#2867118 - 10/17/14 12:50 PM Re: Brake Calipers [Re: Mrvic2004]
stalag Offline

Over the Hill

Loc: Columbus, OH
Originally Posted By: junior

Not too bad all told. IMHO, I got excellent working brakes out of this.

#2867120 - 10/17/14 12:54 PM Re: Brake Calipers [Re: stalag]
Mrvic2004 Offline

Over the Hill

Loc: Kansas City, MO
Originally Posted By: junior

Not too bad all told. IMHO, I got excellent working brakes out of this.

Well looks like I'm a have to try this then. Especially since I want them painted and freshen up. Makes sense, since the car is 11 years old.

Who's Online
3 registered (cv83, CarMon, Rootintootin), 110 Guests and 17 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box

Top Posters (30 Days)
Dmblanch 33
Old_Guy_Stu 32
RF_Overlord 31
speedfreak 28
Bellwestern80 25
LordAeneas 24
PrincePolaris 21
a_d_a_m 17
Traffic22 16
GM_Guy 16
Member Spotlight

Copyright 2000-2015 by Crownvic.net and Steve Spaulding. All Rights Reserved.
The photographs, graphics and data contained in this Web site are the properties of the contributors, or Crownvic.net and may not be used without expressed written consent.
Crownvic.net is not affiliated with the Ford motor company.

Happily consuming the fuel saved by Prius owners!