Make payments with PayPal - it's fast, free and secure! registry | CVN on Facebook | tech | news | email login Make payments with PayPal - it's fast, free and secure!

Welcome to CVN - Your Panther platform headquarters!

Custom Search

Topic Options
#2921769 - 10/08/15 10:39 AM Driver's Side Valve Cover Breather & Oil
MM54 Offline

Loc: NE Ohio
Long story made short:

A while ago when I replaced my IACV, the old one was full of oil, and the TB and plenum also were coated. I cleaned it up a bit and found that the line leading from the driver's side valve cover to the intake was oily inside (nowhere else the oil could be coming from)

Recently I put a catch can in line with that breather, to keep oil out of the intake (I've had one on the PCV line for a while too, and it catches quite a bit).

In 150-ish miles, though, I have caught absolutely zero oil in this breather line - not even residue in the bottom of the can. In the same time, the PCV one has caught, say, 1.5 mL or so.

Is this breather really that slow, that it takes thousands of miles for any noticeable oil to get through, or is something going on and the breather not breathing? Any ideas?

2002 P71 - 205k miles, Stage V DOWRS* - Sold 18 Sept 2019
1971 Chevrolet Chevelle - Rolling Project
1985 Mazda RX-7 - Summer Daily
1999 Toyota 4Runner - Daily Duty, P71 Replacement

*Dynamic Oxidation Weight Reduction System
Stage V: Terminal Rot

Links
#2921775 - 10/08/15 11:34 AM Re: Driver's Side Valve Cover Breather & Oil [Re: MM54]
BigMerc96 Offline

I know nothing
Posting Addict

Loc: I can see Detroit from here!
That makes sense if you think about it. The breather on the drivers side is the air INLET for the PCV system. Air flows into the engine thru that hose, and is sucked back out by the PCV valve on the other side. Only thing that passes thru that hose if everything is working correctly is clean air from the intake tube. Now upon shutdown, oil vapors can come back up out of the valve cover and condense in that hose and thats likely what you saw built up in it from the 177k miles your car has. If you ever remove the oil filler cap when the engine is hot, you'll likely see the same oil vapors rising out.

2006 Audi A6 ~132k miles, stock.
1998 Mercury Grand Marquis LS HPP ~100k miles, slowly acquiring modifications.
1997 Town Car Cartier ~145k miles, Ported Plenum, Gutted Airbox, Contour E-fan Retrofit, Dual exhaust with Magnaflows, cats deleted, MSD Ignition, KYB Gas-A-Justs, P71 front bar, air ride reinstated, Projector retrofit, Caddy 4-note horn retrofit, Wood rim steering wheel retrofit, holistic weight reduction as the parts fall off..
1996 Mercury Grand Marquis GS 117,485mi. R.I.P. 7/14/12 frown

#2922023 - 10/09/15 08:01 AM Re: Driver's Side Valve Cover Breather & Oil [Re: MM54]
MM54 Offline

Loc: NE Ohio
The oil in the intake wasn't condensed vapors - it was (and sort of still is, I didn't get it all) coating the TB and inside the plenum, as well as all through the line to (and the inside of) the IACV - that sounds like oil coming in while the engine is running, not vapors coming in and only happening to go towards the engine, including onto the TB and plenum behind the butterfly and into and through the IACV, both of which should be closed with the engine off.

2002 P71 - 205k miles, Stage V DOWRS* - Sold 18 Sept 2019
1971 Chevrolet Chevelle - Rolling Project
1985 Mazda RX-7 - Summer Daily
1999 Toyota 4Runner - Daily Duty, P71 Replacement

*Dynamic Oxidation Weight Reduction System
Stage V: Terminal Rot

Who's Online
4 registered (PaulyPeligroso, LTC_Dave, VP71, TheCableGuy), 90 Guests and 287 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box

Top Posters (30 Days)
bluejay_32 155
Old_Guy_Stu 97
a_d_a_m 94
Moby_Vic 55
DudeAbides 53
CrystalPistol 50
TheCableGuy 47
RF_Overlord 45
Rainbowpizza 39
Ponyguy 39
Member Spotlight

Copyright 2000-2015 by Crownvic.net and Steve Spaulding. All Rights Reserved.
The photographs, graphics and data contained in this Web site are the properties of the contributors, or Crownvic.net and may not be used without expressed written consent.
Crownvic.net is not affiliated with the Ford motor company.

Happily consuming the fuel saved by Prius owners!