Make payments with PayPal - it's fast, free and secure! registry | CVN on Facebook | tech | news | email login Make payments with PayPal - it's fast, free and secure!

Welcome to CVN - Your Panther platform headquarters!

Custom Search

Topic Options
#2924917 - 10/25/15 11:37 PM Corning lights
alanack6795 Offline
Rookie

Loc: R
I used to have a Old Lincoln continental. It was a 1995 and a cool car, anyways it had a cornering light, which was a mini head light pointing sideways. It only came on when the turn signal was on on (and headlights i think). It did not flash.

It looks like when you add the MM and MGM to a CV they stay on with the headlights Is there anyway to make it work like the older style ones?

Links
#2924925 - 10/26/15 12:54 AM Re: Corning lights [Re: alanack6795]
Ponyguy Offline

Grand Poobah

Loc: Oswego, IL
My 2004 Grand Marquis has cornering lights, and they operate exactly like your old Lincoln's did.
The Multifunction Switch has a dedicated switch pole for the cornering lamp function on the Grand Marquis; according to my Wiring Manual, connection terminals for the cornering lamps are present on a separate connector... 202c, which does not appear to exist on Crown Vic models.

So, I read the rules. Now I'm even more confused.

My transportation sources:
1972 Green Schwinn Speedster;
1984 Canyon Red Mustang V-6;
2004 Gold Ash GMQ LS Ultimate Edition, (Traded away, sadly);
2019 Turd Brown Fusion Titanium Hybrid Energie.

#2924933 - 10/26/15 01:41 AM Re: Corning lights [Re: Ponyguy]
Quasar Offline
Over the Hill

Loc: Milwaukee, WI
Originally Posted By Ponyguy
My 2004 Grand Marquis has cornering lights, and they operate exactly like your old Lincoln's did.
The Multifunction Switch has a dedicated switch pole for the cornering lamp function on the Grand Marquis; according to my Wiring Manual, connection terminals for the cornering lamps are present on a separate connector... 202c, which does not appear to exist on Crown Vic models.

Didnt have to touch the multifunction switch on my 03

Gmq/marauder corners and cornering lamps are a plug and play upgrade on 03-05 crown vics.. AS LONG AS you have 4 wires going into the corner lamp harness at the quik disconnect in the fender. If you have four wires, get the 03-05 gmq corner lamp wire harnesses. Do the necessary modifications to fit gmq/marauder corner lenses (writeup in body of knowledge but use the 03-05 corner harness on your 05 vic) and ypur done.

Edited by Quasar (10/26/15 01:42 AM)

#2925053 - 10/26/15 05:03 PM Re: Corning lights [Re: alanack6795]
BlackVic_P71 Offline
Grand Poobah

Loc: LI, NY
My 2005 CVPI had 2 wires at the corner light, my 2005 Sport had all the wiring for the cornering light in the plug, they were built a day apart in the same week so I doubt it was a cutoff for with/without the wiring.

1989 Ford Crown Victoria Country Squire - 347
2005 Crown Victoria LX Sport with Stainless Works full exhaust, Addco swaybars, Heinous control arms, Powerslot rotors, Hawk HPS pads
Accufab plenum for a DBW Panther
Blue LED buttons/switches how to

#2925083 - 10/26/15 06:34 PM Re: Corning lights [Re: BlackVic_P71]
Quasar Offline
Over the Hill

Loc: Milwaukee, WI
Originally Posted By BlackVic_P71
My 2005 CVPI had 2 wires at the corner light, my 2005 Sport had all the wiring for the cornering light in the plug, they were built a day apart in the same week so I doubt it was a cutoff for with/without the wiring.

Absolutely true, its just something that you need to check on your vehicle. I remember hearing about another member that ran into that issue, but his was an 06. It definitely seems that the switch began happening on some 05's probably depending on option packages etc.

#2925339 - 10/28/15 09:21 AM Re: Corning lights [Re: alanack6795]
73vwTodd Offline
Over the Hill

Loc: Florida
Just want to add... I added the newer Grand Marquis cornering lights to my 2002 Crown Victoria LX. It was plug and play. I didn't have to do ANYTHING with the wiring. The corner light comes on only when I use the turn signals.

Only thing I did do was drill another hole in the fiberglass core support, and then drilled a hole through the cornering light so I could re-use the stainless screw that the Crown Victoria uses to attach the end of the lens to the fender.

Everything else was plug and play.

I assume at least the 2001 model year would also be the same, so we can say now then that 01-06 is plug and play.

Note, I only have THREE leads / wires coming off the harness on my Crown Victoria. The old pigtail for the Crown Vic only had two wires receiving it.

I think I ended up using pigtails from a 2002 Grand Marquis in the junkyard.. which while it is a 4-lead connector, it only had 3 leads in it.

#2925346 - 10/28/15 10:10 AM Re: Corning lights [Re: 73vwTodd]
BigMerc96 Offline

I know nothing
Posting Addict

Loc: I can see Detroit from here!
Originally Posted By 73vwTodd
Just want to add... I added the newer Grand Marquis cornering lights to my 2002 Crown Victoria LX. It was plug and play. I didn't have to do ANYTHING with the wiring. The corner light comes on only when I use the turn signals.

Only thing I did do was drill another hole in the fiberglass core support, and then drilled a hole through the cornering light so I could re-use the stainless screw that the Crown Victoria uses to attach the end of the lens to the fender.

I assume at least the 2001 model year would also be the same, so we can say now then that 01-06 is plug and play.

Note, I only have THREE leads / wires coming off the harness on my Crown Victoria. The old pigtail for the Crown Vic only had two wires receiving it.

I think I ended up using pigtails from a 2002 Grand Marquis in the junkyard.. which while it is a 4-lead connector, it only had 3 leads in it.
That would be due to the fact that an '02 GMQ has an inboard turn signal like a Vic. The 4 wires are: Park, Corner, Turn, and Ground. '98-'02 GMQ turn signal wires would come off the headlight harness like they do in a Vic. Aero GMQ/Vic as well as '03+ GMQ have front turn signals that plug into that pigtail behind the side marker, so they have that 4th (turn) wire in them. Since well-optioned Vics and GMQs used the same body harness, you'll likely find at least the park, ground, and corner wires running to that 4-pin connector behind the marker on most years. CVPI and base model cars used a different body harness and you'll probably only find the park and ground wires.

FWIW, that round 4-pin connector behind the marker is the same '92+, its just a matter of how many wires are running to it. I do not know if the pin-out ever changed, but I doubt it, and a test-light would quickly verify whats what. Ground is a black wire and park is a brown wire on all years. When I added cornering lights to my '96 GMQ GS (only Aero LS had them factory), it was a matter of swapping in the harness from an LS as well as the correct housings.

2006 Audi A6 ~132k miles, stock.
1998 Mercury Grand Marquis LS HPP ~100k miles, slowly acquiring modifications.
1997 Town Car Cartier ~145k miles, Ported Plenum, Gutted Airbox, Contour E-fan Retrofit, Dual exhaust with Magnaflows, cats deleted, MSD Ignition, KYB Gas-A-Justs, P71 front bar, air ride reinstated, Projector retrofit, Caddy 4-note horn retrofit, Wood rim steering wheel retrofit, holistic weight reduction as the parts fall off..
1996 Mercury Grand Marquis GS 117,485mi. R.I.P. 7/14/12 frown

#2925375 - 10/28/15 11:33 AM Re: Corning lights [Re: BigMerc96]
73vwTodd Offline
Over the Hill

Loc: Florida
Originally Posted By BigMerc96
Originally Posted By 73vwTodd

That would be due to the fact that an '02 GMQ has an inboard turn signal like a Vic. The 4 wires are: Park, Corner, Turn, and Ground. '98-'02 GMQ turn signal wires would come off the headlight harness like they do in a Vic. Aero GMQ/Vic as well as '03+ GMQ have front turn signals that plug into that pigtail behind the side marker, so they have that 4th (turn) wire in them. Since well-optioned Vics and GMQs used the same body harness, you'll likely find at least the park, ground, and corner wires running to that 4-pin connector behind the marker on most years. CVPI and base model cars used a different body harness and you'll probably only find the park and ground wires.

FWIW, that round 4-pin connector behind the marker is the same '92+, its just a matter of how many wires are running to it. I do not know if the pin-out ever changed, but I doubt it, and a test-light would quickly verify whats what. Ground is a black wire and park is a brown wire on all years. When I added cornering lights to my '96 GMQ GS (only Aero LS had them factory), it was a matter of swapping in the harness from an LS as well as the correct housings.

So correct me if I'm wrong, but it's safe to say that if you want cornering wires, just use the same pigtail harness from the same-year Grand Marquis as your year Crown Victoria?

#2925382 - 10/28/15 11:56 AM Re: Corning lights [Re: alanack6795]
BigMerc96 Offline

I know nothing
Posting Addict

Loc: I can see Detroit from here!
Yep. Well, the pigtail harness than matches whatever side markers you are using since they did change the bulb sockets a bit. Like I said, that connector is the same on all of them as far as I know so its theoretically a plug and play swap. Exception being CVPIs which only have 2 wires at that connector for most years since they used a different body harness and never had cornering lamps.

2006 Audi A6 ~132k miles, stock.
1998 Mercury Grand Marquis LS HPP ~100k miles, slowly acquiring modifications.
1997 Town Car Cartier ~145k miles, Ported Plenum, Gutted Airbox, Contour E-fan Retrofit, Dual exhaust with Magnaflows, cats deleted, MSD Ignition, KYB Gas-A-Justs, P71 front bar, air ride reinstated, Projector retrofit, Caddy 4-note horn retrofit, Wood rim steering wheel retrofit, holistic weight reduction as the parts fall off..
1996 Mercury Grand Marquis GS 117,485mi. R.I.P. 7/14/12 frown

Who's Online
6 registered (DES, Dmblanch, 2011CVPI, Florida, SocalSam, 1 invisible), 62 Guests and 125 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box

Top Posters (30 Days)
SocalSam 67
bluejay_32 64
Old_Guy_Stu 54
2011CVPI 53
a_d_a_m 53
hot__box 49
Dmblanch 44
RF_Overlord 42
GrumpMarky 35
hkerekes 32
Member Spotlight

Copyright 2000-2015 by Crownvic.net and Steve Spaulding. All Rights Reserved.
The photographs, graphics and data contained in this Web site are the properties of the contributors, or Crownvic.net and may not be used without expressed written consent.
Crownvic.net is not affiliated with the Ford motor company.

Happily consuming the fuel saved by Prius owners!