Make payments with PayPal - it's fast, free and secure! registry | CVN on Facebook | tech | news | email login Make payments with PayPal - it's fast, free and secure!

Welcome to CVN - Your Panther platform headquarters!

Custom Search

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#3061257 - 02/12/16 11:13 AM Re: Negative battery terminal replacement [Re: 98BoatCaptain]
98BoatCaptain Offline
Over the Hill

Loc: Albuquerque NM
Will do. I cleaned up the battery and terminals last weekend, but there's already schmutz building up again.

I'm not sure how we're going to get the ground terminal off without breaking it. The bolt that is rounded off is so close to the surface of the battery that it will be hard to get anything in there (e.g. drill, broken screw extractor).

Is there anything that's particularly good for dissolving corrosion byproducts outside of the old baking soda and vinegar? Maybe use some kind of penetrating oil? Anything that could get the hardware un-stuck would help.

It's pretty bad. I'll post a picture later to show you what I mean.

Links
#3061273 - 02/12/16 11:41 AM Re: Negative battery terminal replacement [Re: 98BoatCaptain]
Accumulator Offline
Climber

Originally Posted By 98BoatCaptain
Is there anything that's particularly good for dissolving corrosion byproducts outside of the old baking soda and vinegar? Maybe use some kind of penetrating oil? Anything that could get the hardware un-stuck would help.

I use this, but there are undoubtedly less-pricey options: Wurth Battery Terminal Cleaner

Wurth also makes a good grease for the terminals, but again, there are much cheaper options that'll work just as well.

#3061345 - 02/12/16 12:15 PM Re: Negative battery terminal replacement [Re: Accumulator]
98BoatCaptain Offline
Over the Hill

[img:center]http://imgur.com/4J4WoK7[/img]

Like I said, pretty bad.

Worked on it with a wire brush and baking soda and vinegar before this photo was taken.

Edited by 98BoatCaptain (02/12/16 12:16 PM)

#3061449 - 02/12/16 01:25 PM Re: Negative battery terminal replacement [Re: 98BoatCaptain]
Ponyguy Offline

Grand Poobah

Loc: Oswego, IL
Try using just baking soda without the vinegar.

You're trying to neutralize the battery acid (sulfuric acid) which caused the corrosion of the terminal. Vinegar is 5% acetic acid, which just adds to the acid corroding the terminal, and makes a fizzy mess.

Personally, I use a saturated solution of Arm&Hammer soda and water; put warm water in a plastic cup, add several tablespoons of baking soda and stir until it dissolves. Use this solution liberally to clean off the corroded terminal and battery post. Rinse off the mess with plain water when you're finished.

So, I read the rules. Now I'm even more confused.

My transportation sources:
1972 Green Schwinn Speedster; 1984 Canyon Red Mustang V-6; 2004 Gold Ash GMQ LS Ultimate Edition, (Traded away, sadly); 2004 Black Ranger XLT Flareside; 2019 Turd Brown Fusion Titanium Hybrid Energie.

#3062097 - 02/12/16 10:02 PM Re: Negative battery terminal replacement [Re: 98BoatCaptain]
98BoatCaptain Offline
Over the Hill

I picked up those felt washers, and a packet of anti-corrosion grease, earlier today.

While I was at the store (Autozone), I let one of the clerks take a shot at removing the rounded-off old bolt. She couldn't budge it. Not even after several shots of a special spray that's supposed to help remove corrosion products.

That bolt is going to have to be drilled out, to get the terminal off.

#3062705 - 02/13/16 10:01 AM Re: Negative battery terminal replacement [Re: 98BoatCaptain]
Bangster Offline

Poobah

Loc: Tucson Az
I thought mine looked bad...it is still easy to take on and off, but I have to hold it since the bottom is gone from all those years of the Wally World batteries that vent around the terminals.

#3066441 - 02/15/16 12:18 PM Re: Negative battery terminal replacement [Re: 98BoatCaptain]
98BoatCaptain Offline
Over the Hill

I worked on the terminals again on Saturday. I got the positive terminal off, and took it all apart - square head bolt, nut, wing nut, terminal itself. Dropped them all in a cup with a solution of distilled H2O and baking soda. That really helped. Cleaned all up with a wire brush, cleaned the post too, and put it all back together, with anti-corrosion grease and a felt washer. So the positive side is good to go.

Negative terminal...not so much. Still pretty hopeless. Several times I poured the baking-soda-and-water solution over the negative terminal. Every time, there was stuff foaming in the cracks & crevices. Still couldn't get the bolt to turn. Going to keep trying. The clamp itself is looking a lot cleaner, and none of it has corroded away. I'm not going to cut it off unless there is just no other way.

#3067609 - 02/15/16 11:46 PM Re: Negative battery terminal replacement [Re: 98BoatCaptain]
98BoatCaptain Offline
Over the Hill

My terminal is in some ways not as bad, but that bolt is stuck tight. I can't turn it at all, despite multiple cleanings with baking soda-infused water and a wire brush.

I guess I'll have to drill out the bolt. Tried earlier today and failed.. I'll need a better drill bit. Even though it's supposed to be suitable for metal, the bit would barely make a dent in the bolt, and it flexed visibly (yikes!) when I tried to make progress. Also it's hard to get the right angle, because the drill is wide.

#3068729 - 02/16/16 06:41 PM Re: Negative battery terminal replacement [Re: 98BoatCaptain]
PHoganDive Offline
Over the Hill

Loc: Mass, USA
My terminal is in some ways not as bad, but that bolt is stuck tight. I can't turn it at all, despite multiple cleanings with baking soda-infused water and a wire brush.

I guess I'll have to drill out the bolt. Tried earlier today and failed.. I'll need a better drill bit. Even though it's supposed to be suitable for metal, the bit would barely make a dent in the bolt, and it flexed visibly (yikes!) when I tried to make progress. Also it's hard to get the right angle, because the drill is wide.

Make sure the drill isn't set to reverse...dumb mistake, but I've made it before...you feel like an idiot when you discover it...:)

2006 CVPI w/120K, J-Mod, MSD COPs, BOC Tune, American Muscle Wheels, Magnaflow Stainless Catback Duals, 35% tint, UltraGuage, headlight relay harness installed w/ 80/100 watt bulbs.

1996 GMQ 116K miles, Bilstein shocks, otherwise stock (Retired 7/2011)

#3069553 - 02/17/16 10:26 AM Re: Negative battery terminal replacement [Re: 98BoatCaptain]
98BoatCaptain Offline
Over the Hill

That's totally something I would do, but no, not this time.

Next idea is a bigger bit (perhaps 1/8") and a titanium one rather than whatever was in the Ace Hardware drill bit set I've had for years.

My smaller drill bits have seen the most use over the years, so I expect they're fairly dull. Might be time to invest in a set of replacements, or get the ones I have sharpened.

Edited by 98BoatCaptain (02/17/16 10:33 AM)

#3070601 - 02/17/16 10:45 PM Re: Negative battery terminal replacement [Re: 98BoatCaptain]
LTC_Dave Offline

Over the Hill

Loc: Kansas
Your negative terminal is shot even if you do replace the bolt.

This is what we use at the dealership for situations like this. We get them from O'reiley's.

Here it is installed on my 02

***06 LTC Signature Limited, Silver Birch, 15 Year Old Maps, Movie Theater Audio, Hole-N-Roof, Seat Toaster, TheSunIsMyEnemy Windows ***POTM 06/18 - 10/18*** laugh
Click to reveal...
P.I. zip tube and airbox, Mo's tune, Mach 1 chin spoiler, 4 tone horns, 18" Mustang Premium wheels, UltraGauge, 20% Tint, J-mod, 03 Fogs

***00 Ford Explorer Eddie Bauer, 5.0 HO, AWD, Highly Optioned, J-mod, GlassPacks and "high flow" cats, Kenwood radio, UltraGauge, Spruce Green, 199k. The "Spruce Caboose"

#3070753 - 02/18/16 01:51 AM Re: Negative battery terminal replacement [Re: 98BoatCaptain]
Ponyguy Offline

Grand Poobah

Loc: Oswego, IL
That's totally something I would do, but no, not this time.

Next idea is a bigger bit (perhaps 1/8") and a titanium one rather than whatever was in the Ace Hardware drill bit set I've had for years.

My smaller drill bits have seen the most use over the years, so I expect they're fairly dull. Might be time to invest in a set of replacements, or get the ones I have sharpened.

Have you given thought to using a Dremel cutoff wheel, and just slicing the shytty thing off?
Then using a terminal replacement kit (like the guy before me just mentioned) to get the job finished?

So, I read the rules. Now I'm even more confused.

My transportation sources:
1972 Green Schwinn Speedster; 1984 Canyon Red Mustang V-6; 2004 Gold Ash GMQ LS Ultimate Edition, (Traded away, sadly); 2004 Black Ranger XLT Flareside; 2019 Turd Brown Fusion Titanium Hybrid Energie.

#3070841 - 02/18/16 05:33 AM Re: Negative battery terminal replacement [Re: 98BoatCaptain]
EDWARDGARNER13 Offline

Loc: STEPHENS CITY, VIRGINIA,USA
X2 on the dremel cut off wheel. It also looks like you have enough room for a hacksaw blade in between next to the end of the terminal and battery post. Then you could pry the remainder off of the post. Seems like less metal to get through than the bolt. Then use a decent pair of dykes or linesman pliers to cut the terminal off of the cable. Try and keep the cable as long as possible if your not splicing in.

#3071169 - 02/18/16 10:38 AM Re: Negative battery terminal replacement [Re: 98BoatCaptain]
98BoatCaptain Offline
Over the Hill

Yes, cutting it off is certainly looking better and better.

I shopped for a replacement terminal/splice kit like what was pictured above, but they didn't have it at Pep Boys or the hardware store, and I didn't find it on the Interwebz.

Looks like I need to make a stop at an O'Reilly. That kit is perfect. I had avoided simply cutting off the terminal until now. It didn't look like there would be enough slack on the cable afterwards to install a new terminal, and have it fit properly.

#3072001 - 02/18/16 06:53 PM Re: Negative battery terminal replacement [Re: 98BoatCaptain]
PHoganDive Offline
Over the Hill

Loc: Mass, USA
Yes, cutting it off is certainly looking better and better.

I shopped for a replacement terminal/splice kit like what was pictured above, but they didn't have it at Pep Boys or the hardware store, and I didn't find it on the Interwebz.

Looks like I need to make a stop at an O'Reilly. That kit is perfect. I had avoided simply cutting off the terminal until now. It didn't look like there would be enough slack on the cable afterwards to install a new terminal, and have it fit properly.

Repair Splice Kits

2006 CVPI w/120K, J-Mod, MSD COPs, BOC Tune, American Muscle Wheels, Magnaflow Stainless Catback Duals, 35% tint, UltraGuage, headlight relay harness installed w/ 80/100 watt bulbs.

1996 GMQ 116K miles, Bilstein shocks, otherwise stock (Retired 7/2011)

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Who's Online
2 registered (bluejay_32, Traffic22), 61 Guests and 269 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box

Top Posters (30 Days)
bluejay_32 166
a_d_a_m 105
Old_Guy_Stu 102
DudeAbides 54
Moby_Vic 51
CrystalPistol 48
TheCableGuy 43
RF_Overlord 43
Ponyguy 41
Rainbowpizza 38
Member Spotlight

Copyright 2000-2015 by Crownvic.net and Steve Spaulding. All Rights Reserved.
The photographs, graphics and data contained in this Web site are the properties of the contributors, or Crownvic.net and may not be used without expressed written consent.
Crownvic.net is not affiliated with the Ford motor company.

Happily consuming the fuel saved by Prius owners!