Make payments with PayPal - it's fast, free and secure! registry | CVN on Facebook | tech | news | email login Make payments with PayPal - it's fast, free and secure!

Welcome to CVN - Your Panther platform headquarters!

Custom Search

Topic Options
#3114018 - 03/16/16 11:28 PM FORD RACING PI INTAKE??
Mw21032003 Offline
Stranger

Loc: NY, NY
I'm trying to get solid information on if a Ford Racing intakes will work on a 2008 crown vic. The models I see are listed for mustangs up to 2004. I talked to one of the tech guys at summit racing and they say it won't fit without serious modification. I would rather a ford factory part than the dorman intake. Assuming someone has used this manifold but tech guy telling me it won't fit has me worried, anyone have the part number for the model they used? Also anyone have any experience using a spacer on intake? Any downside? A specifically model better than others?

Links
#3114026 - 03/16/16 11:39 PM Re: FORD RACING PI INTAKE?? [Re: Mw21032003]
BigMerc96 Offline

I know nothing
Posting Addict

Loc: I can see Detroit from here!
It will fit. whoever you were talking to does not know what they are talking about. The Ford Racing PI intake for a '99-'04 Mustang is a direct fit for an '01+ Panther.

2006 Audi A6 ~132k miles, stock.
1998 Mercury Grand Marquis LS HPP ~100k miles, slowly acquiring modifications.
1997 Town Car Cartier ~145k miles, Ported Plenum, Gutted Airbox, Contour E-fan Retrofit, Dual exhaust with Magnaflows, cats deleted, MSD Ignition, KYB Gas-A-Justs, P71 front bar, air ride reinstated, Projector retrofit, Caddy 4-note horn retrofit, Wood rim steering wheel retrofit, holistic weight reduction as the parts fall off..
1996 Mercury Grand Marquis GS 117,485mi. R.I.P. 7/14/12 frown

#3114106 - 03/17/16 12:22 AM Re: FORD RACING PI INTAKE?? [Re: Mw21032003]
Boss429 Offline

Loc: Dayton,Ohio
The poster above is correct. We sell many at the Speed Shop here We are a Ford Racing Performance Parts dealer since their day one. (1982) a direct bolt on....

#3114186 - 03/17/16 02:57 AM Re: FORD RACING PI INTAKE?? [Re: BigMerc96]
bigROC209 Offline
Over the Hill

Loc: Stockton, CA
Originally Posted By BigMerc96
It will fit. whoever you were talking to does not know what they are talking about. The Ford Racing PI intake for a '99-'04 Mustang is a direct fit for an '01+ Panther.

The Ford Racing intake manifolds for Mustangs have the coolant sensor in a different spot. I could be wrong but I remember something about the coolant sensor being in different places on the FRIM's. If you get one designed for a Mustang I think you will have to drill and tap the hole for the coolant temp sensor.

I installed one on my 2002 Marquis. It looks a little challenging but it's not bad at all. I was able to get it installed without removing the alternator. The hardest part is getting the crash bracket that protects the fuel line off.

You can see the sensor plugged in on the old intake manifold.

2002 Marquis LS Precision Trac, new engine @ 125K, GT Wheels, HP tires, SCT Xcal 2, 91 Octane tune from BOC, Traction Locker w/Ford Racing clutches, 3.55's, Police D/S, Ford Racing IM @114K, 75mm TB, Trick Flow Plenum, Ziptube, GT MAF, P71 Rear Coils, Summit Racing UDP's, HPP Sway Bar, Gas KYB's, J-Mod, 2-1/4" Dual Exhaust, Thrush Glasspacks & 18" tips, MSD COPs, NGK TR55's & Grey Injectors, Pinstripe removed, Disc changer, 2400 watt Pioneeer amp & 6x9's, Kicker Comp VR 10" DVC subwoofers.

Bottle in the trunk coming soon!

#3114386 - 03/17/16 10:30 AM Re: FORD RACING PI INTAKE?? [Re: bigROC209]
PB92 Offline
Over the Hill

Loc: Communist CT
Originally Posted By bigROC209

The Ford Racing intake manifolds for Mustangs have the coolant sensor in a different spot. I could be wrong but I remember something about the coolant sensor being in different places on the FRIM's. If you get one designed for a Mustang I think you will have to drill and tap the hole for the coolant temp sensor.

I installed one on my 2002 Marquis. It looks a little challenging but it's not bad at all. I was able to get it installed without removing the alternator. The hardest part is getting the crash bracket that protects the fuel line off.

Do you think this was a worth while upgrade? My new Ford crate engine is a NPI. Did you notice anything SOTP or otherwise?

99 P71 Ex-Greenwich CT Det. car. New Ford crate engine. Deep Wedgewood Blue/SMD LED trunk/interior/door lights
Modified factory CAI. Big 4 upgrade, 0 gauge highstrand. High Power Cobra 29LX highly tricked out. 200 amp alt w/overdrive pulley. New body mounts. Moroso air/oil separator. Rebuilt 8.8 axle. ARA3 PCM. High power CB'er for 35 years. GMRS Operator Midland MXT400

#3114394 - 03/17/16 10:34 AM Re: FORD RACING PI INTAKE?? [Re: Mw21032003]
BlackVic_P71 Offline
Grand Poobah

Loc: LI, NY
Are you replacing it because the old one is broken?

1989 Ford Crown Victoria Country Squire - 347
2005 Crown Victoria LX Sport with Stainless Works full exhaust, Addco swaybars, Heinous control arms, Powerslot rotors, Hawk HPS pads
Accufab plenum for a DBW Panther
Blue LED buttons/switches how to

#3114562 - 03/17/16 01:22 PM Re: FORD RACING PI INTAKE?? [Re: PB92]
bigROC209 Offline
Over the Hill

Loc: Stockton, CA
Originally Posted By PB92
Originally Posted By bigROC209

Do you think this was a worth while upgrade? My new Ford crate engine is a NPI. Did you notice anything SOTP or otherwise?

If there's nothing wrong with your intake manifold then I'd leave it alone. There are other options out there if you're going for performance.

Check out the "Qualifier" intake manifolds. They're less than $300. I think one member here has one.

2002 Marquis LS Precision Trac, new engine @ 125K, GT Wheels, HP tires, SCT Xcal 2, 91 Octane tune from BOC, Traction Locker w/Ford Racing clutches, 3.55's, Police D/S, Ford Racing IM @114K, 75mm TB, Trick Flow Plenum, Ziptube, GT MAF, P71 Rear Coils, Summit Racing UDP's, HPP Sway Bar, Gas KYB's, J-Mod, 2-1/4" Dual Exhaust, Thrush Glasspacks & 18" tips, MSD COPs, NGK TR55's & Grey Injectors, Pinstripe removed, Disc changer, 2400 watt Pioneeer amp & 6x9's, Kicker Comp VR 10" DVC subwoofers.

Bottle in the trunk coming soon!

#3115466 - 03/18/16 08:41 AM Re: FORD RACING PI INTAKE?? [Re: Mw21032003]
PlainMarquis Offline
Stranger

Loc: Hampton Roads, VA
Just did this on my '99 with the FRPP intake. It is a very nice OEM quality piece. Fit was great. One suggestion on that crash bracket, I left the wiper stuff in place and it was a PIA to get off, but it is doable. If you want to reuse it, slot the mounting hole on the rear. It makes it that much easier to install and remove again if need be.

#3115498 - 03/18/16 10:31 AM Re: FORD RACING PI INTAKE?? [Re: Mw21032003]
kots Offline
Rookie

Loc: Los Angeles, CA
It will fit. I just did this last Wednesday and also bought the exact same part from Summit Racing: http://www.summitracing.com/parts/fms-m-9424-p46

It arrived the next day here in Los Angeles shipping from Nevada.

You will have to buy a 3/8 NPT pipe plug to plug the hole for the CHT sensor and some teflon tape to wrap around the plug. The Ford Racing Intake has a hole for the CHT sensor while your original do not.

I broke my EGR tube in the process even while having the Alternator completely out for clearance. Maybe it would have been better if I have taken out the EGR valve completely from the tube. Be careful with this tube as it can be brittle/soft and may snap. I just finished the last piece of the install just last night to replace the EGR tube ordered here: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B009XR2798

It was my first time and it took me just less than an hour to get the intake manifold off. It's just the EGR tube that delayed the rest of the install. It's easily doable in 2 hours if everything went well plus 1 more hour to clean the intake off the carbon build up. Get a big empty table to line up all your parts in the order of disassembly so you know where everything belongs afterwards.

#3115506 - 03/18/16 10:35 AM Re: FORD RACING PI INTAKE?? [Re: Mw21032003]
kots Offline
Rookie

Loc: Los Angeles, CA
You will also need the following gasket:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000C2EC82

Change the o-rings while you're at it (4 order of 4 pcs = 16 pcs):
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000C2CFE0

You will need 16 o-rings. 8 injectors x (1 o-ring on top + 1 o-ring) on bottom

Get some generic dielectric grease to grease the o-rings prior to install.

#3115794 - 03/18/16 04:49 PM Re: FORD RACING PI INTAKE?? [Re: Mw21032003]
BigMerc96 Offline

I know nothing
Posting Addict

Loc: I can see Detroit from here!
Its an easy intake to do. It really is. After the 3rd time I changed mine in a week (thanks Dorman!!) I think I had it down to under 2 hours. Mine is a '97, so its the last year not to have that crash bracket on the back which is nice. Even without that rear bracket that rear most mounting bolt on the drivers side is a tight fit, I have to use a low-profile ratchet to fit under the wiper motor. On a whale its just easier to take the wiper assembly out, it doesn't really add much time and it makes it that much easier, plus it gives you a great opportunity to clean all the crud out of the cowling.

2006 Audi A6 ~132k miles, stock.
1998 Mercury Grand Marquis LS HPP ~100k miles, slowly acquiring modifications.
1997 Town Car Cartier ~145k miles, Ported Plenum, Gutted Airbox, Contour E-fan Retrofit, Dual exhaust with Magnaflows, cats deleted, MSD Ignition, KYB Gas-A-Justs, P71 front bar, air ride reinstated, Projector retrofit, Caddy 4-note horn retrofit, Wood rim steering wheel retrofit, holistic weight reduction as the parts fall off..
1996 Mercury Grand Marquis GS 117,485mi. R.I.P. 7/14/12 frown

#3115994 - 03/18/16 06:48 PM Re: FORD RACING PI INTAKE?? [Re: Mw21032003]
Mw21032003 Offline
Stranger

Loc: NY, NY
Thanks think I'll be picking up the FRPP intake. Performance isn't my prime concern it started to leak around the thermostat plastic has had it. Never had luck with dorman and wanted better. If I can get similar or slightly better performance while I'm doing it seems like win win. Does anyone have any option of the qualifier intake? I like that it's all metal construction and similar price to FRPP intake?

Edited by Mw21032003 (03/18/16 06:51 PM)

Who's Online
4 registered (ironmarinebill64, RF_Overlord, jimmyv1958, 1 invisible), 71 Guests and 291 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box

Top Posters (30 Days)
bluejay_32 162
Old_Guy_Stu 97
a_d_a_m 94
Moby_Vic 55
DudeAbides 54
CrystalPistol 50
TheCableGuy 47
RF_Overlord 44
Ponyguy 39
Rainbowpizza 38
Member Spotlight

Copyright 2000-2015 by Crownvic.net and Steve Spaulding. All Rights Reserved.
The photographs, graphics and data contained in this Web site are the properties of the contributors, or Crownvic.net and may not be used without expressed written consent.
Crownvic.net is not affiliated with the Ford motor company.

Happily consuming the fuel saved by Prius owners!