Make payments with PayPal - it's fast, free and secure! registry | CVN on Facebook | tech | news | email login Make payments with PayPal - it's fast, free and secure!

Welcome to CVN - Your Panther platform headquarters!

Custom Search

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 >
Topic Options
#3486834 - 12/28/16 03:53 AM The Boxy Box Wagon
Bellwestern80 Offline

CVN Discord: Edsel
Over the Hill

Loc: Evans, Georgia
Despite not having the vehicle "home" (read: at storing location), I felt I might as well start the thread regarding the '87 Colony Park, since the story as to how all this happened is funny and stupid.

So I would have never found this car if I hadn't owned this:

Yeah, the '89 Sable was the catalyst that would get me where I needed to be. Needless to say, there was a Taurus member who had some Gen I parts I needed in South Carolina. I had been to his place once to get parts, and outside of his collection of Taurii, there was a lone '91 Colony Park he had purchased. During this meet, he invited me to one of the club meets later in the year.

That's when I was introduced to the '87:

He had purchased it not long after I had met him. He got bit by the Panther bug, more specifically the Box bug. He was looking to make a quick flip off of it. Well, quick in our books is a few years, as that was in late 2013. Needless to say, after driving it around in his yard, I knew I wanted it, but wasn't feasible at the time. Trouble was, I had already been bitten by the Box bug.

So things changed, later on he offered to sell me his '91 as he planned to keep the '87, then that changed and we came back to the '87 since the '91 sold before I had a chance to look at it more in depth. He had a fair amount of work he had to do on the '87 over all that time, such as fix the leaky roof at the rack, redo the A/C, redo the cooling system, rebuild the transmission, and freshen the interior. Today, outside of the paint still being just as toast as it was in 2013, it's considerably better than it was.

We worked out a deal at Carlisle this year and now everything is said and done. Only thing I have to do is store it off site since I'm staying at home while I'm going to college and it's still my mom's house, and she wants nothing to do with the wagon as she finds it ugly. On top of that, she doesn't know I own it. whistle I expect that ensuing [censored] to catch up with me eventually, but until then, I've got my fingers crossed.

On to more specifics about it...

It's a 1987 Mercury Grand Marquis Colony Park LS. Standard 302 and AOD combination. It has a 3G swap already done. Has a 3.27 open rear end and single exhaust. 8 Passenger seating, front seats swapped over to '92 Town Car seats. The body has over 315K on it, engine around 65K, and transmission around 5K. It was originally Sand Beige with wood grain which was stripped off and repainted two tone at some point. It's now gold and brown. It currently has 1990 specific Lincoln Town Car rims mounted on it.

I'm the third owner. The first owner was a WWII vet who bought the car new in Pennsylvania where it was for one year before it moved down to South Carolina for the remainder of his ownership. It's rather clean underneath thanks to it having lived in the South most of its life. In 2013, TecNickal picked it up in non-running condition (bad ground from battery). Obviously the story between then and now is above.

I've only got a few other old-ish photos, but I'll be sure to grab more when I pick up the wagon.

My Cars:
-1964 Mercury Comet 202 (116K Miles | 170 I6) - Restoration Project
-1986 Dodge D-150 Royale SE (112K Miles | 360 V8) - Waiting on a TorqueFlite
-1987 Mercury Colony Park LS (330K Miles | H.O. 302) - March 2017, November 2019, & September 2021 POTM Winner
-1997 Mercury Grand Marquis LS (230K Miles | nPI 4.6) - The Daily Workhorse & April 2013 POTM Winner

#3486954 - 12/28/16 10:20 AM Re: The Boxy Box Wagon [Re: Bellwestern80]
CrownBen Offline
Over the Hill

Loc: EN51wt
Looks good! Had you not said anything, I'd have thought it was all a well-kept original.
Haha, I've pulled some shenanigans like that, hiding cars somewhere else and what-not. For years, my friends and I just kind of passed cars between ourselves- we called it "keeping it in the family". Sadly, those times and those cars are long gone.
Despite being largely mechanically the same as their later brethren, boxes definitely have a personality of their own. I've said many times how much I miss my '86 (the LTD in particular), and it's still true. I don't think I'll be able to get away with having another.
Congrats on the score, here's hoping everything (quietly) falls into place! beer1 woot mercury

#3490058 - 12/30/16 04:12 PM Re: The Boxy Box Wagon [Re: Bellwestern80]
a_d_a_m Online   drunk

3 Orange Whips
Metroplectic

Loc: Cleveland, OH
Jealousy level = high

'91 LTD Country Squire (POTM Mar. '19) | '03 Marauder (POTM Nov. '10, Jul. '20) | 2010 P7B (POTM Feb. '21)
formerly: '02 MGM, '04 MGM, '04 MGM v2.0, '04 MM, '07 P71 (POTM Feb. '18), '04 CVLX (POTM Jun. '19 and the best car ever), '03 SAP P71

#3493594 - 01/02/17 10:39 PM Re: The Boxy Box Wagon [Re: Bellwestern80]
Bellwestern80 Offline

Over the Hill

For the previous history from 2013-2016, click here (redirect to GMN): Early History

Today was the pick up day. TecNickal came down in his '89 Colony Park and picked myself and friend up and drove us back up to South Carolina. We got to work on getting things ready so that the car would be good to ride back down to Georgia, so it did need a little preliminary preparations.

Mechanically, everything is rock solid on this thing. It runs great. A/C is cold, heat is hot, the AOD shifts smoothly, and the 302 happily cruises down the road at 55. Generally rust free, except for some odd, dime-sized hole below the passenger A-Pillar, because logic. That won't be hard to clean up and patch. There are some minor interior things that have to be taken care of, but nothing that would be unexpected in a 30 year old wagon. We temporarily took out the front door lock actuators since one of the replacements had locked up (thanks Dorman), and the other one needed a clip. No big deal, and definitely nothing that can't be handled easily.

TecNickal gave me a lot of extra interior trim bits to go with it and I'll be getting some more stuff next time I go up. I have wagon cargo coils to put up under the rear, along side the PI control arms and rear sway bar. We loaded the rear with the old rims and tyres along with everything else and it saaaggggggss. I believe the rear springs are likely original anyway, so the tiredness isn't unexpected. It does have good shocks, so those'll stay when the rear gets the springs put in.

Right now as it sits it just needs a really good interior and exterior cleaning since it sat for a little bit. The front seats are great (Lincoln Town Car seats!), and the rear is fair, save for the bottom cushion which I have a replacement on hand. I'll get that fitted after it gets cleaned up really well.

Here's some pictures:

Away it goes:

Parked at it's new home (stored at a family friend's house):

It is interesting to note that this car is a February car and my '97 is also a February car. I'd be very curious of the specific day this one came of the line. I wonder how close it was to the day the '97 was built, as it was built on the 12th.

So, what's on the list for upcoming things? Well there's some preventive maintenance that'll be done and some general repairs to get everything near 100%.

Currently looking at:
-Replacing rear springs
-Re-installing lock actuators
-Replacing ignition switch (PM)
-Changing differential fluid
-Fixing the wipers

That's the most serious stuff that needs attention over the next few weeks/months. Anything else that needs dealing with (small trim bits, et al) will be dealt with in-between.

There's also some fun stuff planned, too:
-Adding passenger vent window
-Adding dual exhaust
-Adding rear sway bar and PI control arms
-Adding a Class III/IV receiver

TL;DR: Got a wagon, going to clean it up, and drive!

My Cars:
-1987 Mercury Colony Park LS (330K Miles | H.O. 302) - March 2017, November 2019, & September 2021 POTM Winner
-1997 Mercury Grand Marquis LS (230K Miles | nPI 4.6) - The Daily Workhorse & April 2013 POTM Winner

#3493962 - 01/03/17 09:24 AM Re: The Boxy Box Wagon [Re: Bellwestern80]
BigMerc96 Offline

I know nothing
Posting Addict

Loc: I can see Detroit from here!
Neat! You finally got it!

Interesting region code on the door tag, its RC 16 which my books have no data for but closest is 15 or 18 which are Pittsburgh or Philadelphia respectively according to my '96 book. For those who don't know, there's lots of "hidden" info in that block of numbers on the lower right side of the tags, they contain the production number (used for tracking that car thru production, and for warranty info b4 computers) as well as any DSO (Dealer Special Order) codes, along with the Region Code which tells which general area the car was to be shipped too after production.

2006 Audi A6 ~132k miles, stock.
1998 Mercury Grand Marquis LS HPP ~100k miles, slowly acquiring modifications.
1997 Town Car Cartier ~145k miles, Ported Plenum, Gutted Airbox, Contour E-fan Retrofit, Dual exhaust with Magnaflows, cats deleted, MSD Ignition, KYB Gas-A-Justs, P71 front bar, air ride reinstated, Projector retrofit, Caddy 4-note horn retrofit, Wood rim steering wheel retrofit, holistic weight reduction as the parts fall off..
1996 Mercury Grand Marquis GS 117,485mi. R.I.P. 7/14/12 frown

#3495178 - 01/03/17 11:49 PM Re: The Boxy Box Wagon [Re: BigMerc96]
Bellwestern80 Offline

Over the Hill

Originally Posted By BigMerc96
Interesting region code on the door tag, its RC 16 which my books have no data for but closest is 15 or 18 which are Pittsburgh or Philadelphia respectively according to my '96 book.

To my knowledge, it originally was purchased new in Pennsylvania, stayed there a year, and then moved to South Carolina where it remained until now. If anything, that's where that region code relates to.

My Cars:

#3506074 - 01/12/17 05:57 PM Re: The Boxy Box Wagon [Re: Bellwestern80]
Bellwestern80 Offline

Over the Hill

I took the wagon out today to run some errands and look into some existing issues.

Did the initial walk around, fluid check, and thus far, it doesn't appear to be using or leaking anything. Oil level has stayed consistent, coolant appears fine and is at the right level. I'll give it to TecNickal, having redone most of the gaskets on the engine has made it an essentially leak-free 302.

I washed it down at a DIY car wash for the first time in who knows how long so I could figure out where water leaks were coming from. I knew the front vent window wasn't 100% water tight against a strong blast of water from the wand, but otherwise stayed dry. Very small drip was noted from the upper corner of the front passenger door near the B-Pillar. I avoided spraying the tailgate seal too hard, since it too won't tolerate high pressure water spray. I checked around in the tailgate area for water intrusion, but couldn't find any. There is a distinct drip from the left passenger door near the C-Pillar, though. It looks like there's a tear in the weatherstripping allowing for the water to pass right into the cabin. I'll try and put some sealer behind it to stop that from continuing. It's not often this'll be out in the rain, but I'd rather have it stay generally dry inside.

Following that, I drove down to the junkyard and grabbed a wiper switch from a '89 Town Car that had a pretty decent tan leather interior. Someone took the driver's seat, but the passenger seat still looked great! Very surprised to see that. Next time I'm working on the wagon, I'll swap in the switch and see if that brings the wipers back to life. If not, I'll keep troubleshooting.

Cruising around, I did notice the fuel gauge is a little erratic right now. It had been hovering around the 1/2 mark for a while, then dropped to almost E with the light on, then the light went off and the needle stayed near E. I tossed some gas in and it only took 10 gallons. I'm guessing the sender hasn't seen much action, so it might need to just be driven so that the float can make a few sweeps. Surprisingly over the 180 miles it had covered at that point, it had an average of 17 MPG in a lot of city traffic. Better than I expected. The 3.27s definitely help out since it doesn't take much to get it going. smile

When I parked it under its carport this evening, I did install the NOS tailgate handle and replacement screw to figure out if the tailgate would fold down. Unfortunately, it feels like something is sticking because it won't fold down after the window is lowered. Still swings open okay, though. I also tried some TR-3 on the hood to see if I can get a shine out of the rather dull paint. I did get a bit of a shine, but it'll need a few rounds of that stuff to really determine if it can shine the finish. The single stage garbage has not dealt well with the sun, but when it was done in the first place, it was done poorly. Some day it'll get a proper repaint, but for now, the focus is getting all the interior and suspension bits worked out, then focusing on sprucing up the exterior.

All in all, I've been impressed with how well it has been working thus far.

My Cars:

#3506746 - 01/12/17 11:53 PM Re: The Boxy Box Wagon [Re: Bellwestern80]
Ezbok58a Offline
Banned
Posting Addict

Loc: Who wants to know...
That is cool, congrats on the Wagon.

Dammit, I still want a box...

#3507226 - 01/13/17 01:46 PM Re: The Boxy Box Wagon [Re: Ezbok58a]
Bellwestern80 Offline

Over the Hill

Originally Posted By Ezbok58a
That is cool, congrats on the Wagon.

Dammit, I still want a box...

Thanks. It might be a project on the side, but it's always fun to drive.

As far as Boxes go, I'd really suggest an '86+ since SEFI (unless you find a 351 car) equipped ones made the most power stock and had a lot of the weird, early issues ironed out. I'm glad this one came with 3.27s since it really helps around town only having 150 HP. I wouldn't want to imagine driving one with 2.73s or 3.08s, especially given the extra weight on a wagon.

Wagons and two doors are fairly uncommon, but do pop up. Four door ones pop up a lot. There's still plenty left down here that are typically rust free. Condition can vary from being really nice to completely trashed. If you ever decide to go looking for one and are thinking of a Southern car, let me know.

My Cars:

#3507234 - 01/13/17 01:49 PM Re: The Boxy Box Wagon [Re: Bellwestern80]
Ezbok58a Offline
Banned
Posting Addict

If I'm going box crown Vic it's a 86-87 just for the EFI. If GMQ it's 88-91.

I like the boxy Vic more, and I like the rounded GM more...lol

Town Car still a possibility there too.

#3509553 - 01/15/17 12:04 AM Re: The Boxy Box Wagon [Re: Bellwestern80]
Bellwestern80 Offline

Over the Hill

Drove up to TecNicalk's today after working on my aunt's GMQ. Grabbed a bunch of additional parts to have for spares and upgrades. Good door seals to replace some shot ones, vent window for the passenger side with good seals and the glass, headlight bezels, and the list continues.

Anyways, today the rear springs were tackled at a friend's house this evening. It got "new" cargo coils that wound up under my '97 for a week, taken out for obvious reasons, given to TecNickal, then given back to me. So here we are:

Of course I busted a chunk out of one of those Townie center caps trying to get it off with a screwdriver. Oops. I'll fix it soon since it was only a small, but glueable piece. It seems plastic trim removal tools work great on those, however. The rake isn't as bad as the picture makes it out, and I'm sure it'll actually settle some with proper weight on them. It still has some boaty aspects, but doesn't sag and float nearly as bad as it did. The old springs found themselves to work great living in a trash can.

Also, the odometer hit 315,000 miles on the return trip to its garage.

The more time I spend learning the "intricacies" of this thing along with the help from TecNickal, the more comfortable I become getting down to business with it.

My Cars:

#3510641 - 01/15/17 07:01 PM Re: The Boxy Box Wagon [Re: Bellwestern80]
Bellwestern80 Offline

Over the Hill

So this wasn't a perfect car to start with, but I didn't need it made worse!

The guy stays where the car is stored backed his truck into the damn tailgate. I can't even figure out how he didn't see the [censored] thing.

I'm going to and bang the dent out. If that doesn't work, a shop will look at it. I was going to have all the major body work taken care of when it gets painted down the road. Now it looks like it'll have to get some done beforehand. FML. Both of my cars are messed up in someway or another now. At least the wagon was consistently the same color all around.

My Cars:

#3510697 - 01/15/17 07:42 PM Re: The Boxy Box Wagon [Re: Bellwestern80]
RESlagle Offline
Banned
Over the Hill

Loc: Orange County, California
Damn, I'd be pretty upset. At least the person who did it was honest about it.

- POTM - November 2016 & May 2018 Winner -

#3510705 - 01/15/17 07:43 PM Re: The Boxy Box Wagon [Re: Bellwestern80]
PALEO Offline
Climber

Loc: Spicewood Texas, USA
I would flip out..sad
2000 CPVI with all new Moog Suspension, 17 by 8 wheels, 245/45/17 tires, PI intake manifold, granatelli ported plenum, 1/2 inch plenum spacer, Ford racing 70mm ported TB, Marauder air box/MAF, New plugs and MSD coils, flownasters, 3.55 gears, Marauder spoiler, Addco sway bars, Steeda underdrives, and a 93 LONNIE tune! 133,308 miles----learned a little----I need another

1993 Dodge D150/318 - 2003 Chevy Trailblazer LTZ - 1999 Chevy Tahoe LT-350 - 2001 Cadillac Deville

Born on Groundhog Day!

#3510801 - 01/15/17 09:26 PM Re: The Boxy Box Wagon [Re: Bellwestern80]
Ezbok58a Offline
Banned
Posting Addict

He better pay for the repair on it.

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 >

Moderator:  BigMerc96 
Who's Online
4 registered (TheNarrator, ClaySmith, Scuba_Steve, a_d_a_m), 40 Guests and 89 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box

Top Posters (30 Days)
bluejay_32 70
SocalSam 63
Old_Guy_Stu 58
hot__box 56
a_d_a_m 54
2011CVPI 53
RF_Overlord 41
Dmblanch 38
GrumpMarky 37
hkerekes 33
Member Spotlight

Copyright 2000-2015 by Crownvic.net and Steve Spaulding. All Rights Reserved.
The photographs, graphics and data contained in this Web site are the properties of the contributors, or Crownvic.net and may not be used without expressed written consent.
Crownvic.net is not affiliated with the Ford motor company.

Happily consuming the fuel saved by Prius owners!