Make payments with PayPal - it's fast, free and secure! registry | CVN on Facebook | tech | news | email login Make payments with PayPal - it's fast, free and secure!

Welcome to CVN - Your Panther platform headquarters!

Custom Search

Page 2 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >
Topic Options
#3510961 - 01/15/17 10:12 PM Re: The Boxy Box Wagon [Re: Bellwestern80]
Chaplian Offline
Insert witty title here
Poobah

Loc: Chicago, IL
That blows man, really sucks to see that. I hope he pays for a part of it or something.

Also, don't bang it out. You'll only make it worse.

A paintless dent removal guy might be able to get it out for $300 or so.

2011 Crown Vic LX- 73,xxx.
2003 Crown Vic HPP- 235,xxx miles. Retired.
1995 Impala SS- 29xxx miles. The Lovely Lady
2003 BMW 325i Sedan- 138,xxx miles. Sold. RIP.
2003 BMW 325i Wagon- 8250 RPM redline. Complete M3 drivetrain, suspension, and electronics. Taylor Swift.
2017 Mazda3 GT Hatchback- 71,xxxx miles. 2.5L, fully loaded. The Daily Grind.

#3511033 - 01/15/17 11:05 PM Re: The Boxy Box Wagon [Re: Bellwestern80]
Bellwestern80 Offline

CVN Discord: Edsel
Over the Hill

Loc: Evans, Georgia
I've got some lines from folks on GMN (along with the PO) about some junkyard wagons with tailgates. If anything it would be easier to swap on a replacement tailgate.

I'd just spray bomb the donor part to be close enough to everything else. The paint isn't perfect on this, so close enough for a "temporary" paint job will be good enough.

I have all these other parts to go on (vent windows, seals, etc.), but now it looks like I'll be focusing on getting this fixed first and foremost. I could live with the faded paint on the roof, but that tailgate is incredibly unsightly.

My Cars:
-1964 Mercury Comet 202 (116K Miles | 170 I6) - Restoration Project
-1986 Dodge D-150 Royale SE (112K Miles | 360 V8) - Waiting on a TorqueFlite
-1987 Mercury Colony Park LS (330K Miles | H.O. 302) - March 2017, November 2019, & September 2021 POTM Winner
-1997 Mercury Grand Marquis LS (230K Miles | nPI 4.6) - The Daily Workhorse & April 2013 POTM Winner

#3511585 - 01/16/17 01:31 PM Re: The Boxy Box Wagon [Re: Bellwestern80]
CrownBen Offline
Over the Hill

Loc: EN51wt
That sucks. But yeah, the dude was honest about it, maybe he'll throw you some change to help with the repair.

If you can find a complete tailgate, though, I'd imagine it'd be easier to go that route. It would also give you a good excuse to pull it apart and make sure the linkage and everything is working properly.

You say you have weatherstripping so this doesn't really matter, but my Grand Prix had electrical tape in several places where the original weatherstripping had split/disintegrated. I was surprised (a) how well it worked and (b) how long it lasted- all the way to to wherever it met its' fate, a crusher I'm sure.

Edited by CrownBen (01/16/17 01:35 PM)

#3512233 - 01/16/17 11:32 PM Re: The Boxy Box Wagon [Re: CrownBen]
Bellwestern80 Offline

Over the Hill

Originally Posted By CrownBen
You say you have weatherstripping so this doesn't really matter, but my Grand Prix had electrical tape in several places where the original weatherstripping had split/disintegrated. I was surprised (a) how well it worked and (b) how long it lasted- all the way to to wherever it met its' fate, a crusher I'm sure.

I have good weatherstripping for the doors. The tailgate weatherstripping on the other hand is toast. Trouble is it has a traditional seal at the bottom, but transitions to a window seal style (think SN95 Mustangs). That seal has been obsolete for years and no one has had a solid solution for the seal. I'm going to try and put some sealant on the worst areas and hope it works. It can keep 98% of the water out, unless it takes direct, hard sprays.

With regards to my inspection today, the tailgate is toast:

That thing is creased from the center to the bottom. On the other hand, the previous owner knows a place that has a '83 or '84 Country Squire, so he's going to grab the tailgate from it, I'll pay him, and then I'll collect the money from the guy who hit it. I'm probably going to spray the replacement panel with colors that are close enough to get away with for a while. I'm not concerned with it being perfect, but I don't think burnt wood grain and whatever color the donor is would be better. The only thing that tailgate will lack is the high mount brake light, but that's no big deal since it looks like it was just tossed on with the 1986 mandate.

As far as the current tailgate goes, the window goes down halfway before binding up and you can open it about 4 to 5 inches before it binds on the body. 100% boned. At least it won't be like that too long.

Today I did get some general maintenance out of the way, which involved changing the oil. I also replaced the wiper switch, but the wipers are still dead. I need to break out my multimeter and figure out where I don't have power. I'm going to need the wipers some day, lol.

My Cars:
-1987 Mercury Colony Park LS (330K Miles | H.O. 302) - March 2017, November 2019, & September 2021 POTM Winner
-1997 Mercury Grand Marquis LS (230K Miles | nPI 4.6) - The Daily Workhorse & April 2013 POTM Winner

#3514105 - 01/18/17 08:47 AM Re: The Boxy Box Wagon [Re: Bellwestern80]
CrownBen Offline
Over the Hill

Loc: EN51wt
That's the kind the Grand Prix had, it had frameless doors.
After a while I got tired of the wind noise, and getting sprayed whenever it rained. So I just cut a piece of electrical tape, and carefully placed it. It conformed to the contour nicely.

Of course this requires quality tape, not that cheap stuff that loses all adhesion and turns into a solid piece of plastic below 60 degrees.

#3517929 - 01/21/17 03:56 PM Re: The Boxy Box Wagon [Re: Bellwestern80]
Bellwestern80 Offline

Over the Hill

Super big shout out to TecNickal for grabbing a "new" door!

The trim is different, but I don't care. Eventually it'll be gone, but I'll work with it for now. I'll try working on it next week.

My Cars:

#3517969 - 01/21/17 04:11 PM Re: The Boxy Box Wagon [Re: Bellwestern80]
Ezbok58a Offline
Banned
Posting Addict

Loc: Who wants to know...
Here's an idea since you're pulling the tailgate off the car. See if you can repair the dent yourself once you get it off. Like a side project and if it works you have a spare tailgate for the car.

#3524490 - 01/26/17 08:49 PM Re: The Boxy Box Wagon [Re: Bellwestern80]
Bellwestern80 Offline

Over the Hill

I think I may have narrowed down some colors for the tailgate a bit better. Matching colors without any idea is a bit tough, but DupliColor has two GM colors that look pretty close.

DupliColor Light Chestnut Metallic

DupliColor Cordova Brown Metallic (No Color Square Available)

I'll order them through Amazon. I'll grab any extra supplies that I can from work. Anything I can't get there, I'll get online.

Supplies list (so I don't screw this up too bad):
-Painter's Tape
-Sandable automotive primer
-Primer Sealer
-Base Colors
-Acrylic Clear Coat
-Fiberglass reinforced body filler
-Regular body filler
-Sand paper

Anyone think of something I may need that I have left off that list? Depending on the weather will affect when and how the painting goes. It'll probably be taken care of next month when I have some free time. I'd really like to work on it during the weekend since it's not at my place and that would give me the most time to do anything.

My Cars:

#3525882 - 01/27/17 09:46 PM Re: The Boxy Box Wagon [Re: Bellwestern80]
Sh0rtlife Offline

Loc: pacific north WET
first off you shouldnt EVER need f-glass filler

"if" your trying to go over rust...oy lets just not go there

if the dent your working is "deep" as in more than 1/4 inch i would strongly recomend working the area more, that said you cant always and sometimes you still have to work with the deep stuff..in that case start out with "all-metal" its the ONLY filler i am aware of that will not only work in the deep stuff but actualy hold on.....its specificly designed as a replacement for lead seam filler

on the subject of filler you should then use an intermediat base filler, followed by a "glazing putty" most brands are as good as the next..i prefer usc? or was it usmc?..either way thats the brand i like but ive recently found a good inexpensive stuff call dolphin..works very well and seems to be a dead math for the other stuff

on sand paper, 40, 80, 120, 220, 320...use the 40 for the hard cut, 80 for the your getting teher 120 for the i think ive got it 220 for the yeah im ready for paint..i think, 320 for the final proof

on the tape..and i cant stress this enuf, if you want ZERO bleed get the plastic "pinstripe mask" 3M tape..its the ONLY tape taht will give you a true clean line, and FWIW find a local autobody supply house you can probably get most of it on site for the same price or less

if you want to try and beat out that dent..and want some ideas, i did my first BAD creased fender(72 caddy eldarado) in the pud..dont laugh but having hard mud acted like a sand bag and it let me work the dent over to the point i was down to only needing dollys....grab a block of wood the size of the dent and put it on the inside of the panel and beat it out against the dirt

its a pretty nice lookin wagon..reminds me of the 80 linc i had

Edited by Sh0rtlife (01/27/17 09:49 PM)

#3526162 - 01/28/17 12:58 AM Re: The Boxy Box Wagon [Re: Sh0rtlife]
Bellwestern80 Offline

Over the Hill

Originally Posted By Sh0rtlife
first off you shouldnt EVER need f-glass filler

"if" your trying to go over rust...oy lets just not go there

I have a replacement tailgate, but there's some rust in the corners because the wagon sat in a junkyard for almost two decades. It's likely the area can be sanded/cleaned up to solid metal and prepped from there. Someone on another forum recommended the fiberglass filler for the area, but I've never had to do any real body work, so, yeah... whistle Trying to learn as I go. My goal is just to remove the rust, then get the area sealed to prevent it from happening again.

The plan is to keep the original tailgate and learn how to do some body work and see if I can generally pop out that dent. It'll be nice to have a panel I can mess with and not be too concerned what happens to it.

My Cars:

#3529530 - 01/30/17 07:41 PM Re: The Boxy Box Wagon [Re: Bellwestern80]
Sh0rtlife Offline

Loc: pacific north WET
get yourself some form of por15 or such..its sold under half a dozen names, eastwood makes a good one, tho i get something localy thats half teh price of eaither, use it to coat the INSIDE of teh tailgate where you cant see it, as the rust always starts on the inside and works its way out..another great anti rust product is "rustmort"..anywhere on the outside..where you will be laying paint..do a good prep and then lay down a coat of epoxy primer

the F-glass strand is the way we used to use fillers back in the 70s and 80s..and still is used on uber rusty stuff to scabber em together to sell em to the next schmuck ..its NOT a real repair..ranks right up there with slapping some screendoor matrial over the hole and then slathering it with bondo

if you want to toss a pic of the gate seal up id love to see if i can lend a hand...ive come up with some odd replacements over the years...obsolete dodge truck door seals swapped with 80s chevy truck seals as they actualy work better...i also know of some companys that are pretty well by contact of another person who knows about them, alegedly seals for alfa alfttas and gtv6's dont exist but "mr fiat"( a small seal company) does offer them...i also have some connections to guys who have the ability to do small batch runs on stuff

Edited by Sh0rtlife (01/30/17 07:42 PM)

#3529874 - 01/31/17 12:22 AM Re: The Boxy Box Wagon [Re: Sh0rtlife]
Bellwestern80 Offline

Over the Hill

Originally Posted By Sh0rtlife
get yourself some form of por15 or such..its sold under half a dozen names, eastwood makes a good one, tho i get something localy thats half teh price of eaither, use it to coat the INSIDE of teh tailgate where you cant see it, as the rust always starts on the inside and works its way out..another great anti rust product is "rustmort"..anywhere on the outside..where you will be laying paint..do a good prep and then lay down a coat of epoxy primer

the F-glass strand is the way we used to use fillers back in the 70s and 80s..and still is used on uber rusty stuff to scabber em together to sell em to the next schmuck ..its NOT a real repair..ranks right up there with slapping some screendoor matrial over the hole and then slathering it with bondo

if you want to toss a pic of the gate seal up id love to see if i can lend a hand...ive come up with some odd replacements over the years...obsolete dodge truck door seals swapped with 80s chevy truck seals as they actualy work better...i also know of some companys that are pretty well by contact of another person who knows about them, alegedly seals for alfa alfttas and gtv6's dont exist but "mr fiat"( a small seal company) does offer them...i also have some connections to guys who have the ability to do small batch runs on stuff

I'll grab a few photos of the weatherstripping later this week. If any substitute can be found, you'd be helping a lot of Box wagon owners. The sun just destroys that stuff turning it into hard, crumbly nonsense. Any and all help is always appreciated.

My Cars:

#3556417 - 02/25/17 09:57 PM Re: The Boxy Box Wagon [Re: Bellwestern80]
Bellwestern80 Offline

Over the Hill

Got some more parts for the wagon. smile

Starting with the exhaust, I have a gutted set of catalytic converter down pipes. These will replace the catless junk down pipes put on at some point by the original owner. As much as I would prefer proper emissions equipment, the cost isn't worth it to do. At least I'll be able to properly bolt the system together as the existing system is all welded together. I also did get a rather fresh dual exhaust mid-section consisting of an H-Pipe and mufflers. I'll probably get the system installed after I do the rear control arms and sway bar. The top bolt on the right side control arm is affected by the muffler being in the way. When I pulled that set at the junkyard, I smashed a huge dent into the muffler on the junk car and had to hold the system to the side so the bolt could be worked out. It made that process a huge PITA.

I also got a "basic", no rub-strip front bumper. The one on the car has a holes drilled in the bumper for a front license plate. I'm not sure why the license plate bracket had been absent when that happened, but it occurred under the original owner. The guy I got it from installed the proper license plate bracket, but there's still a visible hole to the side of the plate. Anyway, the replacement bumper looks a bit nicer without all that black rubber on it. Maybe some day I'll find a matching rear bumper.

Needless to say, to carry everything back, we had to get the tailgate to open. We did have to take a small block of wood and a hammer to the dented area to get the panel to bend enough to open the tailgate and roll down the window. It's still very dented and creased up, so it still looks terrible, but that's why there's a replacement getting prepped to go on. wink At least I can use the wagon the way you're supposed to again!

For having now put over 1,000 miles on it, I have not been disappointed. It has done very well in town and on the highway. While it is considerably happier doing 70 MPH and less, it hasn't had any problems burying the speedometer. whistle I've still got some small issues to still fix, but nothing that negatively affects it's operation.

My Cars:

#3561769 - 03/03/17 11:07 AM Re: The Boxy Box Wagon [Re: Bellwestern80]
TecNickal Offline
n00b

Loc: Blythewood, SC
That car is diamond in the rough. My second Colony Park. Not my most loved car, but I did enjoy learning some things on it and sprucing it up with NOS and like NOS parts to freshen it up (like seats, dash pad, grill, hood ornament, etc). The motor on that car is amazing. And the tranny is good too now that it's rebuilt and not slipping between 1 and 2. You will get a lot of use out of that car -hope you enjoy it and people don't smash it all to smithereens with their tee-rucks!
-04 F150 Reg Cab Long Bed

#3569001 - 03/09/17 06:06 PM Re: The Boxy Box Wagon [Re: Bellwestern80]
Bellwestern80 Offline

Over the Hill

I haven't been doing too much with the wagon except taking it out every few days and doing some errands with it.

I did complete my speedometer updates. I changed out the green LEDs from the turn signal indicators back to incandescent so they wouldn't be so bright at night as it was very bright and would mess with my eyes. The only LEDs are for the illumination. The needles received a coat of orange acrylic paint for greater visibility from the background. I never really intended to modify the cluster much as I like generally as it was, but I found the shortcomings after some night drives. If any other change ever happens to it, it would likely be the uber rare 135 MPH police speedometer, but finding those would be like winning the lottery.

FWIW, I found it easier to remove the cover from the cluster and take out the shift indicator than removing the shift indicator collar and the column shroud to get the cluster out:

Mounted and going:

I really want to see how it looks in car at night with the lights, but that'll probably wait until this weekend. Some people might find the orange odd since the theme on these clusters was black and silver, but it does help make the needles stand out a bit more.

My Cars:

Page 2 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >

Moderator:  BigMerc96 
Who's Online
3 registered (a_d_a_m, 2 invisible), 39 Guests and 98 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box

Top Posters (30 Days)
bluejay_32 70
SocalSam 63
Old_Guy_Stu 58
hot__box 56
a_d_a_m 54
2011CVPI 53
RF_Overlord 41
Dmblanch 38
GrumpMarky 37
hkerekes 33
Member Spotlight

Copyright 2000-2015 by Crownvic.net and Steve Spaulding. All Rights Reserved.
The photographs, graphics and data contained in this Web site are the properties of the contributors, or Crownvic.net and may not be used without expressed written consent.
Crownvic.net is not affiliated with the Ford motor company.

Happily consuming the fuel saved by Prius owners!