Make payments with PayPal - it's fast, free and secure! registry | CVN on Facebook | tech | news | email login Make payments with PayPal - it's fast, free and secure!

Welcome to CVN - Your Panther platform headquarters!

Custom Search

Page 3 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >
Topic Options
#3619777 - 04/24/17 07:49 PM Re: The Boxy Box Wagon [Re: Bellwestern80]
Bellwestern80 Offline

CVN Discord: Edsel
Over the Hill

Loc: Evans, Georgia
More work today!

The passenger side front door finally got its vent window swapped in with new window felt. The old window channel felt was so tough and brittle that once I got it all out, I had reduced it into hundreds of small pieces and chunks. I also installed a vent window dew wipe trim piece since it had a healthier dew wipe compared to what I pulled off. The old one was badly cracked and had scratched the original glass very deeply.

Swap photos:

I need to clean the glass, since it has been collecting dust and grime for some time. I know Nick had grabbed the glass and vent window some time ago since I remember the driver's side having been converted in 2014.

As far as the installation, it wasn't as bad as I expected. Getting the glass in and out wasn't any worse than when I changed my regulators on the '97. The only thing I'll complain about is Ford's affinity for pop rivets. All of the pop rivets that were removed were replaced by 1/4-20 x 1 flange bolts and locking flange nuts. The use of flange bolts and lock nuts cuts down the need for washers of the standard or locking type. The vent glass was secured with M6-20 x 22mm bolts and nuts since the 1/4-20 bolts were a touch large and didn't want to fit between the door body, dew wipe trim, and the vent window chassis.

Anyway, everything is good and I should be able to get the glass cleaned either tomorrow or Wednesday.

My Cars:
-1964 Mercury Comet 202 (116K Miles | 170 I6) - Restoration Project
-1986 Dodge D-150 Royale SE (112K Miles | 360 V8) - Waiting on a TorqueFlite
-1987 Mercury Colony Park LS (330K Miles | H.O. 302) - March 2017, November 2019, & September 2021 POTM Winner
-1997 Mercury Grand Marquis LS (230K Miles | nPI 4.6) - The Daily Workhorse & April 2013 POTM Winner

#3642953 - 05/19/17 05:05 PM Re: The Boxy Box Wagon [Re: Bellwestern80]
Bellwestern80 Offline

Over the Hill

I attempted at making the car clean-ish on the exterior. Something tells me the last time this car probably got this much attention on the exterior was during the Clinton administration.

Anyway, I washed it down, took TR-3 to it, then Turtle Wax (paste type) since I wasn't going to do anything really insane with it, but just attempt to clean it up some more. I did manage to get an incredibly dull shine on the roof. I also transferred a lot of color and dirt onto my rags while polishing. The roof and hood were the worst offenders, while the sides didn't transfer much at all.

Roof (polished on left, untouched on right):

Under the carport (it got too hot not being under some cover):

Roof finished:

Everything else:

Next week I need to get the condition the seats, clean the glass on the inside, and vacuum. I just wanted to get the exterior cleaned up so that I can easily hose it down later on to remove any road grime and bugs. I may also try and polish the bumpers.

My Cars:
-1987 Mercury Colony Park LS (330K Miles | H.O. 302) - March 2017, November 2019, & September 2021 POTM Winner
-1997 Mercury Grand Marquis LS (230K Miles | nPI 4.6) - The Daily Workhorse & April 2013 POTM Winner

#3643721 - 05/20/17 07:40 PM Re: The Boxy Box Wagon [Re: Bellwestern80]
hot__box Offline

Over the Hill

Loc: New Orleans, Louisiana
generally not a fan of wagons, but your colony park is nice. it cleaned up nicely with the wax. Those wheels look good too, what are they from ??

’97 Marquis M75
‘99 Cherokee XJ, 4.0L‘21 F-250 4X4, 6.2L‘85 Impala, 5.0L “Hot Box”
Front Window Regulator Guide 1995 - 1997 Tune Up Guide How To: Fuel Injector Replacement

#3643929 - 05/20/17 11:34 PM Re: The Boxy Box Wagon [Re: hot__box]
Bellwestern80 Offline

Over the Hill

Originally Posted By garndreadz
Those wheels look good too, what are they from ??

The wheels are from a Lincoln Town Car. They're 1990 specific wheels to boot. I got them from them for free from the guy I bought the wagon from. He installed the 15" lacy spoke style ones on his Town Car and just wanted those gone, so I took them.

I put them on there since the wagon wound up on some multifit 15" steel wheels with old rotten monster tires on it. The fronts were 235/75R15 and the rears were 265/75R15. It originally had 15" steelies with wire wheel covers, but those rims wound up on a '66 Country Squire at some point.

At some point I may hunt down some Turbines from a LTD or GMQ, or the Town Car Snowflake Turbines.

I'd just need to find a full set of the wreath type center caps if I went with that route. The current wheels are just close enough to work since the Lincoln emblem looks a bit like the old Mercury wreath.

My Cars:

#3654314 - 06/04/17 11:35 PM Re: The Boxy Box Wagon [Re: Bellwestern80]
Bellwestern80 Offline

Over the Hill

Wagon made the trip back. Kept a consistent average of 20 MPG while driving between 60-72 MPH. Didn't take as many photos as I should have, but here's a handful of trip related things...

I-20 was the starting point at 7 AM:

Just cleared the West Virginia border. Virginia becomes very boring once you clear the mountain range (not like WV is anymore exciting, just glad to be in another state):

Wagon class on the show field:

Shots from a different part of the show field while things were winding down.

5 PM on a Saturday and people are heading out...

Return trip in the Virginia mountains:

The weather would take a turn for the worst near the VA/NC border where I kept getting slammed by strong storms on I-77. I had to detour off about 30 miles north of Charlotte when the highway came to a quick halt and essentially just stopped moving all together. I detoured almost 10 miles around to pick up I-77. Whatever happened was drawing a ton of emergency vehicles and state troopers were sending traffic entering the highway back up the on ramp. I'm fairly glad I noped out of that situation, because I'd likely would have had some problems sitting there. It continued with showers and storms all the way to when I pulled in the driveway.

Also, Regular Car Reviews was also at the show on Saturday with the Vagabond Falcon. They had an open to the public podcast.

The one thing I didn't photograph was later in the day after their podcast ended, Mr. Regular and his intern were walking the show field and were actually interested in the wagon. They both jumped in the pop up rear seats. I told him that I was unfortunately down in GA, but I've left him with an e-mail submission in case he ever winds up down in the Southeast again. I thought that was pretty cool. There's a picture of my friend Mark and Mr. Regular together standing beside it, but I'd need to message him for that. Mr. Regular's Falcon definitely looks pretty cool in person.

Anyway, now that I'm home, I've got to iron out a new issue that turned up after the heater hose issue. The wagon was running fine after that, however on a return trip to our hotel, our pack got carried away and was cruising fast, and being in the middle, I was pushing it along (read: speedometer was usually near leaving the numbers). Anyway, it has a distinct miss feeling at idle. It's not as smooth as it used to be, but stays running without issue. You can really feel it on light acceleration below 10 MPH, kinda like a stutter. Once you're moving at speed, it's not obvious anything is wrong. I'm going to check the cap to see if anything got sprayed in it, check the wires, and then the plugs. You can really hear the fact something doesn't seem right from it's exhaust leak since the ticking isn't as consistent on the passenger side as it usually is.

As nice as it is to drive this car, I really do enjoy getting behind the wheel of the '97. I think it's a combination of more available power and improved seating position. I'm usually tired after driving 12 hours, but there's a lot more effort that has to go into driving the '87. You need to guide it up to speed before resuming your cruise control so it doesn't floor itself and waste fuel, plan your passes, and accept you really can't floor it through things like you can with 4.6 cars. The '97 easily dances on the highway, while the '87 not so much. It'll cruise 70 MPH all day, but when people can't choose a consistent speed, you start getting frustrated trying to build speed, just to lose it.

My Cars:

#3654554 - 06/05/17 10:49 AM Re: The Boxy Box Wagon [Re: Bellwestern80]
hot__box Offline

Over the Hill

Loc: New Orleans, Louisiana
nice pics. the colony park looks good as usual.

Originally Posted By Bellwestern80
Anyway, it has a distinct miss feeling at idle. It's not as smooth as it used to be, but stays running without issue. You can really feel it on light acceleration below 10 MPH, kinda like a stutter. Once you're moving at speed, it's not obvious anything is wrong. I'm going to check the cap to see if anything got sprayed in it, check the wires, and then the plugs. You can really hear the fact something doesn't seem right from it's exhaust leak since the ticking isn't as consistent on the passenger side as it usually is.

i'm having a similar issue on my buick, minus the idle issue. I've done a full tune up and haven't solved it. I've got a few more tricks up my sleeve. If/when i figure it out i'll let you know, since it could possibly be a similar problem.

Originally Posted By Bellwestern80

As nice as it is to drive this car, I really do enjoy getting behind the wheel of the '97. I think it's a combination of more available power and improved seating position. I'm usually tired after driving 12 hours, but there's a lot more effort that has to go into driving the '87. You need to guide it up to speed before resuming your cruise control so it doesn't floor itself and waste fuel, plan your passes, and accept you really can't floor it through things like you can with 4.6 cars. The '97 easily dances on the highway, while the '87 not so much. It'll cruise 70 MPH all day, but when people can't choose a consistent speed, you start getting frustrated trying to build speed, just to lose it.

I hear you there. Unfortunately one of the bad things about driving classic cars in a modern world is the modern world drivers you have to share the road with. I don't mind a little hard driving, especially in fuel injected vehicles but I try to drive easy in the old schools. Unfortunately it becomes hard to do that and inevitably i have to drive them hard sometimes just to keep with the flow of traffic, otherwise i'll get tailgated or run off the road, hard accelerations to merge so I don't get slammed by speeding/ impatient drivers, people zipping around, slamming brakes, etc, so far and so forth. Driving habits i normally wouldn't bat an eye sometimes make me cringe when I can tell that the car is NOT liking building up speed just to lose it, as you say, over and over, hard stops and starts, etc.

that being said, i try to leave the daily duty for the Suburban and take the classics out when traffic is lighter, but meh.. sometimes it doesn't work that way.

’97 Marquis M75
‘99 Cherokee XJ, 4.0L‘21 F-250 4X4, 6.2L‘85 Impala, 5.0L “Hot Box”
Front Window Regulator Guide 1995 - 1997 Tune Up Guide How To: Fuel Injector Replacement

#3654730 - 06/05/17 02:43 PM Re: The Boxy Box Wagon [Re: Bellwestern80]
BigMerc96 Offline

I know nothing
Posting Addict

Loc: I can see Detroit from here!
My buddy's '91 Wagon did the same thing after driving aggressively and burying the speedometer a time or 4 in a trip. Shortly thereafter it wouldn't start, pop the distributor cap, the tip of the rotor was sheared off and just chilling in there. It ran normally after putting in a different rotor. We don't really know how many miles were on it, odometer read 9700 miles the whole time he had it, and I wouldn't be surprised if that was the 2nd go-around when it broke. The distributor was pretty well shot, it would get oil under the cap if on the highway for an extended period, and you could almost wiggle the rotor side to side. I'm sure timing chain had a laughable amount of play in it as well. But that was the only time it ever failed to start.

2006 Audi A6 ~132k miles, stock.
1998 Mercury Grand Marquis LS HPP ~100k miles, slowly acquiring modifications.
1997 Town Car Cartier ~145k miles, Ported Plenum, Gutted Airbox, Contour E-fan Retrofit, Dual exhaust with Magnaflows, cats deleted, MSD Ignition, KYB Gas-A-Justs, P71 front bar, air ride reinstated, Projector retrofit, Caddy 4-note horn retrofit, Wood rim steering wheel retrofit, holistic weight reduction as the parts fall off..
1996 Mercury Grand Marquis GS 117,485mi. R.I.P. 7/14/12 frown

#3675546 - 06/30/17 12:57 PM Re: The Boxy Box Wagon [Re: Bellwestern80]
Bellwestern80 Offline

Over the Hill

The wagon is still having issues with rough running right now. EGR valve and sensor was replaced, but the code 34 persists. Next week I'll only have work and no class since we're off for a week, so I'll try looking further into the issue then. I might wind up taking the upper intake off to inspect vacuum lines and fuel injectors.

I'm thinking if I have the intake off, it should be painted since it's not really pretty. I think painting it white with red lettering on the 5.0 plate will give a little more pop. With the intake out of the way, I can also try and wipe down the valve covers and other components.

I did find this older photo from TecNickal where all three of his wagons were present at one point:

Left to right is '87, '89, and '91. I the '91 was sold some time in 2015 to a friend of his, so it's still local.

My Cars:

#3679290 - 07/04/17 01:38 AM Re: The Boxy Box Wagon [Re: Bellwestern80]
Bellwestern80 Offline

Over the Hill

Popped off the upper intake. A fairly simple task on a EFI 302.

Got some hoses that need replacing. Both the heater core lines will be replaced since the original one shown is oozing and the other one currently has a temporary one in place. Both will get new moulded hoses.

The Motorcraft branded vacuum line on the intake is original. It broke in half when I tried removing it from the intake; completely petrified from heat and age. The other two lines are still soft and pliable with no cracking. Those lines run to the MAP and are dated stamped 2013.

Fuel injectors may be replaced as a preemptive action to ensure proper reliability.

I'm going to clean the intake and paint it white with red lettering. The way it looks right now is pretty sad.

My Cars:

#3679410 - 07/04/17 10:06 AM Re: The Boxy Box Wagon [Re: Bellwestern80]
a_d_a_m Online   drunk

3 Orange Whips
Metroplectic

Loc: Cleveland, OH
You guys and your clean southern vehicles... laugh

'91 LTD Country Squire (POTM Mar. '19) | '03 Marauder (POTM Nov. '10, Jul. '20) | 2010 P7B (POTM Feb. '21)
formerly: '02 MGM, '04 MGM, '04 MGM v2.0, '04 MM, '07 P71 (POTM Feb. '18), '04 CVLX (POTM Jun. '19 and the best car ever), '03 SAP P71

#3680010 - 07/04/17 10:14 PM Re: The Boxy Box Wagon [Re: a_d_a_m]
Bellwestern80 Offline

Over the Hill

Originally Posted By a_d_a_m
You guys and your clean southern vehicles... laugh

Shame most are sun burnt at this age. wink

I try to avoid parking on dirt without moving the vehicle around and keeping the undercarriage clean. Easiest way to rust a car down here is parking on grass/dirt under a tree. Moisture stays under the car, and sometimes gets up in the interior and starts rotting things. My Sable would get mold on the leather surfaces if I parked it over dirt, but was fine on the driveway.

However, it sure is easy to avoid that compared to road salt and unpleasant winter weather.

My Cars:

#3683522 - 07/10/17 01:20 AM Re: The Boxy Box Wagon [Re: Bellwestern80]
Bellwestern80 Offline

Over the Hill

I'll be upfront and say the photo manages to hide everything bad out of what I thought would be a good idea:

So these intakes have a protective coating over them, since as far as I can tell it looks like aluminum. Anyway, the coating had failed in a few places and it was all white and chalky from corrosion. I tried scrapping and sanding, but that stuff either came off, or didn't. The stuff that didn't lifted some after paint started.

Essentially on one hand, it is better than the grimey thing it once was, but on the other hand it could have been much better.

My intention was to use a fairly conservative color, but I think white may have been a bit much. Anyway, still going to rock it since 95% of the time it'll be hidden by a hood.

I'll be ordering replacement fuel injectors later this week. Hopefully I'll have it running again next week. If the EGR keeps giving trouble, I may run with a block off plate for a bit until I can sort that all out. I have swapped my sensor for the original one just to see if that changes anything.

New heater hoses are going on tomorrow and I'll also begin attempting to cull some unnecessary vacuum lines, namely those running the Thermactor equipment that's been rendered inoperative for sometime.

My Cars:

#3684506 - 07/11/17 10:54 AM Re: The Boxy Box Wagon [Re: Bellwestern80]
Cheapthrillp71 Offline

Loc: Michigan
Nice woody lol. sounds so dirty. Brings back memories.

I had one for a summer years and years ago. $400 special. thing had like 3 pds of oil pressure at idle once warmed up. Thing lasted all summer like that. Sold it to a buddy and he drove it from Michigan to Tennessee w/o issue. Wonder what ever happened to it. Was a fun land yacht for sure.
2004 LJ Lq9 one tons
2014 jku Rubicon
2012 powerstroke king ranch crew cab

#3755258 - 10/07/17 08:08 PM Re: The Boxy Box Wagon [Re: Bellwestern80]
Bellwestern80 Offline

Over the Hill

Finally got around to doing some work that didn't involve fiddling with the engine or electronics. Some time ago I found a '90 LTD CV police car and snagged the rear control arms and sway bar set. Now, given what a PITA it was to get the control arms out with the exhaust in the way, I opted not to install them for now, but to go ahead and get the sway bars installed.

I flattened the lip a bit on the rear control arms so that there wouldn't be any clearance issues with getting the bar set. It dropped perfectly into place after doing that and bolted right up.

I also drained and re-filled the rear end. I was using conventional Castrol 80W-90, but I've been trying to flush it of any debris since it had gone through an axle bearing which put a lot of shavings back there. There were definitely shavings in the fluid that was drained, but nothing indicating catastrophic failure of a bearing, more so just residual shavings from before. I should have stuck a magnet on the inside of the cover, but didn't think about that until afterwords. I may still two strong ones on the outside of the cover to help draw particles towards them and away from the gears. I used Valvoline SynPower 75W-140 for the replacement fluid. I've run that viscosity in the '97, and it seems to work really well in the '87. The typical axle noise seems to be considerably reduced.

After taking care of the rear end, I did swap the hollow wagon front bar for the police solid front bar. The bar to frame bushings were trashed and the end links were installed upside down, rusted, and equally trashed. The metal caps that go over the bushings had deformed and had the impression of the bolt head pressed into them. The bushings themselves looked too small, one had split apart and was missing chunks, and the rest were wallered out and cracked. Essentially the front bar was just hanging there.

Replacement bushings were installed, but I will say I wound up with bushings that were really tall beyond the bracket. I cut these level to the old ones and they bolted up nice and snug, with no unusual movement or free play. I used Moog for bar to frame bushings and sway bar end links (polyurethane type end link bushings).

Taking it out for a spin, things were dramatically different! laugh It was so much flatter in sharp cornering and ride quality improved. Even more floating was eliminated and it tracks even better! I'm not big on overly harsh suspensions, but right now this is where it needs to be. Essentially the suspension is like this: Police Front & Rear sway bars, KYB Gas-A-Just Police shock absorbers, original front springs, cargo coil rear springs, original front & rear control arms. It's not a complete HD suspension package, but it sure does beat the standard underpinnings, and it definitely beats where it started at, with sagging rear springs and dead shocks.

On the way back to where it stays, it did get a needed bath to get all the dirt and dust off of it.

I also took the time to toss on some new wiper blades. I wound up with a good pair of 22" blades that had the large and small pin arm holes. 22" blades work just fine on these and clear a good bit more of the windshield. Just a consideration for anyone who may feel the 18" blades aren't cutting it enough.

My Cars:

#3762954 - 10/16/17 04:44 PM Re: The Boxy Box Wagon [Re: Bellwestern80]
Bellwestern80 Offline

Over the Hill

I've been kicking around a air pump bypass belt for a few weeks now. The wagon hasn't really had a problem with its air pump since I've had it, but there's three glaring issues. First, it's not hooked up to any air tubes since the cats are missing and the lines are absent; Second, Nick gutted it while he had it because it starting making noise, so it actually doesn't do anything useful; Third, it's functionally dead weight being spun by a belt.

So today, I yanked that thing out of there and got rid of some unnecessary tubing.

The air pipe coming off the back of the heads is still in place. I've got a small piece of the thermactor hose still in place with a plug in it.

The original vacuum setup had a three line check valve coming off the cruise unit. One line ran to the firewall, the other towards the air pump. The air pump's line also had a check valve. I removed the three line check valve and replaced it with the air pump's check valve since it operated in the same way the other did and I did not need a third line going anywhere.

I do need to re-tension the A/C belt. It's not squeaking, but the bolt that faces the radiator is missing. The rear bolt is in place and can be tightened to hold tension. Since the other bolt is missing, the tensioner is ever so much at an angle, which will wear the belt out much like the other one I took off. I'll grab one off a junkyard car, unless someone knows the type bolt I need for it. I will admit that tensioner wasn't the worst thing I've had to work with, but getting at it with the air pump removed made it a lot easier.

I'll also be replacing the engine-to-frame ground strap and the negative battery cable terminal soon. The engine-to-frame ground strap is laughably small. The one from an Aero RCU is beefier, and I may just use a spare one of those I have laying around. wink

My Cars:

Page 3 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >

Moderator:  BigMerc96 
Who's Online
1 registered (SocalSam), 42 Guests and 84 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box

Top Posters (30 Days)
bluejay_32 70
SocalSam 63
Old_Guy_Stu 57
hot__box 56
a_d_a_m 54
2011CVPI 53
RF_Overlord 41
Dmblanch 38
GrumpMarky 37
hkerekes 33
Member Spotlight

Copyright 2000-2015 by Crownvic.net and Steve Spaulding. All Rights Reserved.
The photographs, graphics and data contained in this Web site are the properties of the contributors, or Crownvic.net and may not be used without expressed written consent.
Crownvic.net is not affiliated with the Ford motor company.

Happily consuming the fuel saved by Prius owners!