Make payments with PayPal - it's fast, free and secure! registry | CVN on Facebook | tech | news | email login Make payments with PayPal - it's fast, free and secure!

Welcome to CVN - Your Panther platform headquarters!

Custom Search

Page 4 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >
Topic Options
#3866193 - 02/03/18 02:18 AM Re: The Boxy Box Wagon [Re: Bellwestern80]
Bellwestern80 Offline

CVN Discord: Edsel
Over the Hill

Loc: Evans, Georgia
The wagon hasn't seen much action lately. It's been running with a dead miss since around the time I yanked the intake manifold. That whole mess turned out to be me chasing all the wrong problems.

Here's an idea of what's up...

...Cylinder 1

...Cylinder 2

I suspect there's a burnt valve on cylinder 1. Whatever fuel/air mixture that gets in is blown right back out as the exhaust has a heavy fuel smell. The spark plug is usually damp with fuel when pulled after running, but no signs of really having fired off anything.

However, I do have a source for some free E7 (HO 302) heads, intake, throttle body, injectors, and camshaft. Bar none, the heads, intake, and throttle body are being done this spring. I may go full HO swap, but I'll determine that once work commences. Until it can get rehabbed, it won't be driven much. I plan on just getting the dual exhaust fitted in the meantime as a supporting modification to the engine upgrades.

My Cars:
-1964 Mercury Comet 202 (116K Miles | 170 I6) - Restoration Project
-1986 Dodge D-150 Royale SE (112K Miles | 360 V8) - Waiting on a TorqueFlite
-1987 Mercury Colony Park LS (330K Miles | H.O. 302) - March 2017, November 2019, & September 2021 POTM Winner
-1997 Mercury Grand Marquis LS (230K Miles | nPI 4.6) - The Daily Workhorse & April 2013 POTM Winner

#3974930 - 06/09/18 12:27 AM Re: The Boxy Box Wagon [Re: Bellwestern80]
Bellwestern80 Offline

Over the Hill

Finally took the wagon out for some much needed attention. The last time it actually got to go anywhere was to the salvage yard a few months ago to get a replacement window for the '97.

Anyway, the exhaust system has needed serious attention. I removed the old Y-Pipe and muffler several months ago and I had fitted up the middle portion of a dual exhaust system off a 1990 Town Car. I also installed factory down pipes, however they had been gutted out before I got them, but they were nicer than the garbage I took off.

Anyway, that "configuration" left me with a tailpipe on one side not hooked to anything and just hanging free and a totally absent driver side tail pipe. None of that is satisfactory when an inappropriate bump could smash that loose pipe up and I had no real intention of wanting to go far with an exhaust system generally supported at the back by no more than mechanic's wire. It wasn't really going anywhere, but, I mean... spank nono

So today it rolled into a local exhaust shop. Same place that did up the couplers and hanger on the '97. I essentially my request was, "Can we un-[censored] this?" The guy that runs the place looks at it, says it'll run about $85. $85 included three new hangers, a welded coupler on the passenger side to join the muffler to the existing tailpipe, and a completely new custom bent tailpipe for the driver side. Job was done in less than 30 minutes.

The exit on the driver side pipe is a touch further out than the passenger side, but if I really feel like it's an issue, I'll take off roughly an inch with a saw, otherwise it's an awesome fabrication that looks like it could have been factory. Even on seven cylinders, it's obvious that the engine breaths better on dual exhaust.

After we got done at the exhaust shop, we cruised on the local freeway loop to a DIY carwash. Even in 90° weather with 55%+ humidity, the A/C was still icy and the car behaved well at 80 MPH. cool Even the TripMinder said we were doing pretty good at 19 MPG.

Probably put roughly 50 miles or so on it today after it got washed down. That's been the most in months. I really can't wait to fix the mechanical issues. The dead miss isn't obvious until you're in town and RPMs are down, but interstate-wise it's smooth even in overdrive.

My Cars:
-1987 Mercury Colony Park LS (330K Miles | H.O. 302) - March 2017, November 2019, & September 2021 POTM Winner
-1997 Mercury Grand Marquis LS (230K Miles | nPI 4.6) - The Daily Workhorse & April 2013 POTM Winner

#3991366 - 07/31/18 01:42 AM Re: The Boxy Box Wagon [Re: Bellwestern80]
Bellwestern80 Offline

Over the Hill

On Sunday I collected the necessary top end parts to make my repairs. I also needed to prep the upper intake manifold to be usable on a Panther 302, namely because the Mustang intakes face the wrong way, meaning the EGR spacer has throttle linkages facing the wrong way and the throttle body linkages on the bottom need to be swapped around.

Anyway, I do not envy anyone who has done the job of separating all the components. It is a [censored] and a half if the parts have never been separated. The gist of the matter to anyone who hasn't poked around much on the older cars goes like this: There are three major components that make up the upper intake. There's the main body with the runners, an EGR spacer, and a throttle body all sandwiched together. Ford used four studs coming off the main intake in which the EGR and throttle body slide onto, then nuts are tightened on the throttle body side to seat everything. Decent in practice until age and complications hit.

Complications are the fact the studs are steel and everything else is aluminum. Based on what I've seen, the studs may have been coated to reduce the likelihood of galvanic corrosion, but 28+ years of age means that won't last. Also, the EGR spacer has coolant routed through it on the side sandwiched with the throttle body. Typically the gasket starts to go and you get coolant in the intake, but it also seeps onto the bolts, making corrosion worse. That was the condition of the intake I was working on.

The throttle body wasn't too bad to get moving since it doesn't take up much space, but the EGR spacer is huge in relationship to that, and it fought me every minute spent getting it undone. I snapped two studs off trying to undo the entire stud, and bent up three of them.

I hope this wasn't part of Ford's "Better Ideas".

Anyway, the plan going forwards will be to use bolts instead. The studs used are threaded on both ends, so that makes it simple. I don't plan to continually take it apart, so it won't be bad. Also, I have no intention of using the coolant ports on the EGR spacer of mine (old LoPo intake has had it bypassed for years), so coolant seepage won't be an issue. I'm also going to lightly coat the bolts with anti-seize to try and reduce corrosion chances.

Tomorrow I plan to have it reassembled.

My Cars:

#3994424 - 10/16/18 11:05 PM Re: The Boxy Box Wagon [Re: Bellwestern80]
Bellwestern80 Offline

Over the Hill

I know traffic is kinda dead around here, but I'll drop an update because I feel like wasting a bit of time. Splitting into two posts because picture heavy.

Bored LoPo EGR spacers are neat. JeffBoudah whipped this one up, came out awesome.

HO upper intake being converted to Panther use. HO cars ran everything the wrong way, so all your stuff has to be flip flopped. Also note the use of long bolts instead of studs to sandwich the EGR spacer and throttle body. It'll likely be easier to disassemble again if the need arises (they're also slathered in anti-sieze).

Strip some stuff...

Strip more stuff...

Attain atmospheric compression...

...and enjoy your "Ah-Ha!" moment when you find you beat the seat off your cylinder 1 exhaust valve so you have no compression and the valve train looks normal up top.

My Cars:

#3994432 - 10/16/18 11:32 PM Re: The Boxy Box Wagon [Re: Bellwestern80]
Bellwestern80 Offline

Over the Hill

Tossed everything together pretty nicely.

Finally out and about again...

Now, I didn't make a mention of what I used for replacement parts in this thread since I've barely updated it. Obviously I yanked both cylinder heads despite only one being troublesome. I figured if I was going through the trouble of stripping the engine that much, I could bump up the power ever so slightly while I was there.

The engine got:
E7 cylinder heads
HO Throttle Body
HO upper intake
LoPo Bored Spacer (60mm)
Town Car Fan Shroud (1990 specific)
Town Car Intake Tube (1990 specific)
New hoses (All replaced except lower radiator hose now)

I'd put power ratings in the 180-190 HP range. Torque probably still around 280-290 FT/LBS. No power house by any means, but probably closer to how a 351 car feels. Definitely breaths better. Still running the LoPo cam (probably won't be changed anytime soon), so it's still mostly a low end grunt engine, but it does move easier when power is called for.

I'm still working on decluttering the engine bay. The use of the '90 TC stuff eliminates a lot of bulk off the side of the engine. I've also modded a newer style relay/vacuum reservoir to hold the old style relay housings so that the relays aren't awkwardly bolted to the fender. I do need to recheck the spark plugs and TPS setting. I got a slight hesitation on occasion on slight throttle tip in and a stutter at idle. I suspect there might be some crud on the spark plugs again. They got really nasty on the initial firing despite cleaning the cylinders as good as possible. Wires were redone during re-installation of parts. Cap and rotor will also be checked on.

TPS comes up solely because of how out of whack it was once the engine was together. The throttle plate stop screw had been messed with causing "closed throttle" to read at 1.6v or so. I dialed it down so it read .99v, but that needs to be rechecked after having been heat soaked a few times to ensure I don't have and odd variances starting.

Anyway, that's been the recent happenings of this old thing.

My Cars:

#3994446 - 10/17/18 04:25 PM Re: The Boxy Box Wagon [Re: Bellwestern80]
TheRealQuaid Offline

Loc: New England
Hows the power compared to the Marq?

I wanted to do a 5.0HO swap to my 90 TC but being young, having no tools and the car getting totaled squashed that idea.

#3994474 - 10/18/18 01:45 AM Re: The Boxy Box Wagon [Re: TheRealQuaid]
Bellwestern80 Offline

Over the Hill

Originally Posted By TheRealQuaid
Hows the power compared to the Marq?

I wanted to do a 5.0HO swap to my 90 TC but being young, having no tools and the car getting totaled squashed that idea.

If on a plain numbers to numbers comparison, lacking.

But... there's more depth than that. A 302 LoPo is not a fair comparison against a nPI 4.6 on paper, but both have their merits.

The 302 makes comparable torque to the 4.6, but makes it a whole lot lower. With the warm over my engine got and being paired to the 3.27 rear gear, I'd say it moves off the line as easily as my '97 does, but definitely doesn't rev up as much to get going. Now in the power department, the 302 loses no matter how you cut it. While the 4.6 has a noticeable uptick in increasing power above 2000 RPM and continues pulling steadily, the 302 loses steam just beyond 3000 RPM and shifts closer to 4000 RPM. Dual exhaust and the better flowing intake and heads helped remedy the "high" RPM issue, however.

Originally with the poorer flowing E6 heads, more restrictive upper intake and throttle body, and a high restriction single exhaust (Boxes have an awful Y-pipe compared to Aeros/Whales), once peak power was attained and you were at WOT, the engine clearly got louder, but you could feel acceleration actually dropping off before proceeding to clunk into the next gear and start accelerating again. It was choked really bad.

As far as HO conversion, IMO it's a mixed bag. The HO cars were typically lighter Fox chassis models, so their power band was more suited for a car their weight. Supposedly power really comes on after 2000 RPM and low end torque is reduced a bit, which isn't ideal in heavy cars. The Explorer cam has been a more ideal option along with the use of the GT40P heads since the Explorer intake and heads flow better than the HO stuff. Also the Explorer cam gets power and torque off the top end and puts it in the low to mid-range making it more ideal for use in our cars.

For now, I'm content with things for now, but if I need to change anything, most of the serious supporting mods are in place. An HO swap on this car is only a few components away: Camshaft, Injectors, and Computer.

My Cars:

#4000344 - 01/08/19 06:02 PM Re: The Boxy Box Wagon [Re: Bellwestern80]
Bellwestern80 Offline

Over the Hill

Originally Posted By Myself
On top of that, she doesn't know I own it. whistle I expect that ensuing [censored] to catch up with me eventually, but until then, I've got my fingers crossed.

I can weave a magical story apparently. As far as everyone is concerned, this is a "new purchase", or more so a "free car kindly given to me". Not exactly how I wanted to base it's appearance, but it worked.

It only took two years, but now the wagon can finally live in the driveway versus being kept at odd locations. After taking that quick picture, it got properly washed down along with a full interior cleaning. The windows were rather grimy, and the floors littered with leaves and such.

It'll get a proper shakedown run this week since I'll drive it to and from work for a while and finally give the '97 some rest. The plan is to take care of rebuilding some of the front suspension on the '97. New control arms with bushings and ball joints are primary on the list, along with sway bar links. I may even start working on the RAS swap I'd been planning, but that one would take a bit more time. Since I doubt I'd have the '97 done in one day, it'll be nice knowing I finally have a backup car at the ready that I can use while I do the work. smile

I finally ran into a fault with that aftermarket headlight harness, and that the relays are junk. Cheapy-cheap relays aren't very nice when you find out your headlights don't turn on. High beams worked only out the outer position lamps. Swapped in some good five-pin Bosch relays and I had light again.

Having it properly at home means I can also start on side projects, like the tailgate and swapping the front bumper to the non-rubstrip model, but those aren't important right now.

My Cars:

#4000428 - 01/09/19 10:12 AM Re: The Boxy Box Wagon [Re: Bellwestern80]
CrownBen Offline
Over the Hill

Loc: EN51wt
Nice to see you can finally have it home! I've been in similar situations and weaved similar stories myself in former times. wink

I hadn't noticed that one picture before- is that a freight train rolling through town? That's kinda wild.

One other thing about an HO swap- the LoPo block has shorter tappet bores and can't accommodate roller tappets. At least that's what I read in the back of an FRPP catalog. I do remember seeing a kit made by one of the cam companies so you could use rollers, but it was so much you might as well get a proper HO block.

#4000436 - 01/09/19 10:43 AM Re: The Boxy Box Wagon [Re: CrownBen]
Bellwestern80 Offline

Over the Hill

Originally Posted By CrownBen
I hadn't noticed that one picture before- is that a freight train rolling through town? That's kinda wild.

That's one of Norfolk Southern's main lines that run out from Augusta into South Carolina. Not too common to see street running lines anymore, but here it's an every day occurrence. Always fun sharing the road with trains when you're only passing each other with a few feet between each other. smile

Originally Posted By CrownBen
One other thing about an HO swap- the LoPo block has shorter tappet bores and can't accommodate roller tappets. At least that's what I read in the back of an FRPP catalog. I do remember seeing a kit made by one of the cam companies so you could use rollers, but it was so much you might as well get a proper HO block.

All '86+ (rumored late '85 as well) sedan blocks are roller lifter type. Trucks were the weird ones that didn't get rid of flat tappet engines until '94. In the current configuration, it's pretty brisk off the line. You really don't have to romp it to make it move out with the torque being on the low end of the RPM band. The 3.27 gears help too, as it makes the '97 seem sluggish on take off.

My Cars:

#4008044 - 03/21/19 08:05 PM Re: The Boxy Box Wagon [Re: Bellwestern80]
Bellwestern80 Offline

Over the Hill

Decided to tackle the relay job today.

FWIW, the later style vacuum/relay combo pictured here does not really work on a modified early fender liner. The relay holder is too "deep" since the area is flat. No idea if the '90/'91s are any better, but the early side mount vacuum/relay combo is preferred.

Fuel pump relay wiring was the worst as far as insulation recession went. The yellow lead could be yanked straight out of the block.

Factory ground splice, IIRC. Whatever fabric based taped that was used crumbled off when I removed the wires from the harness. Re-wrapped with electrical tape.

All wiring exposed with relays hanging.

Updated relay holder installed with EEC diode. This was going to be a solder and heatshrink job, but the ancient (and cheap) iron called it quits after I did one lead. Since I had already cut the EEC relay 100% out, I was committed, so butt splices with heatshrink were used instead.

Stuff "tidied" away. The holder doesn't sit just right since it's a new style holder on an old style vacuum box. I'll see if I can find a side mount holder next time I'm at the yard so it'll sit nicely. At least it's latched into place.

I had to extend two leads out, one for the EEC connector from a leg on the fuel pump relay, and another for the A/C Diode lead from a leg on the A/C cut-out relay. Beyond that, I was able to shorten up most of the wires by about a foot and adjust the looming to fit.

Here's a note card of all the pinout/wire colors I used.

FWIW, the EEC relay wiring did not 100% match my service manual. The 12v+ Constant BK/O wire was just Black and the Ground BK/LG either originally was green and faded, or it was using black with light blue striping. All the other wires matched respectively.

My Cars:

#4008058 - 03/21/19 10:45 PM Re: The Boxy Box Wagon [Re: Bellwestern80]
juzza Offline
Climber

Loc: Broken Arrow, OK
Ugh...'80s Ford wiring. I remember dealing with those issues on my '87 F150. The insulation just crumbled off or recessed badly from the connectors. And yes, I liked those "factory crimps" on the harnesses. It took me a while to realize those were factory, and not some moron splicing willy nilly.
'07 Charger Work car
'97 P71 SOLD

#4024040 - 07/23/19 06:34 PM Re: The Boxy Box Wagon [Re: Bellwestern80]
Bellwestern80 Offline

Over the Hill

Originally Posted By Bellwestern80
Still running the LoPo cam (probably won't be changed anytime soon)...

I lied. That's changing.

Tripped across an '87 Mark VII LSC at the junkyard and harvested the PCM. Of the remaining three items to HO, that's one! A kind member on GMN offered up a HO cam, that's two! I've just got to grab a set of 19 LBS injectors, and that'll make three!

Bonus item acquired was a set of Crane 1.7 roller rockers. Another good extra I need to get is the AOD's shift governor. HO cars had a different one so they'd shift at a higher RPM. If I really want to rip on it before that's changed, I'll have to shift it manually.

Anyway, that'll be coming up in the next few months. I've still got to help a friend get an engine swap done in a '89 Colony Park and the '64 Comet I'm half in on is getting its 170 swapped for a 200, so lots going on, and not a whole lotta time. All in good fun though. grin

My Cars:

#4050590 - 03/06/20 11:05 PM Re: The Boxy Box Wagon [Re: Bellwestern80]
Bellwestern80 Offline

Over the Hill

Had coolant start slowly disappearing. Could smell it, never could see it. Found it starting to weep around a coolant port on the timing cover to block. If the timing cover is coming off, well, no need to do it twice...

...it's time to do the thing that was popular in 2005. More tomorrow. It might run, or I might kill it.

My Cars:

#4050626 - 03/07/20 07:22 AM Re: The Boxy Box Wagon [Re: Bellwestern80]
Old_Guy_Stu Online   drunk

Over the Hill

Loc: Cleveland, OH
You need better valve springs and a real throttle body for an HO upgrade, too, right? Or did you already do them?

1988 CVLX Formal Roof (Love Boat) POTM July 2019, Aug 2020, & Oct 2021, 58K
E-code lights w/ relays, LEDs w/ switchbacks, 15x8 Ansen slots w/ 255/60 BFG's, Kenwood stereo, various hacks.
This, of course, was merely the semi-delirious notion of a fever-patient, but I remember that it struck me at the time as being eminently practical and feasible.

Page 4 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >

Moderator:  BigMerc96 
Who's Online
0 registered (), 34 Guests and 69 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box

Top Posters (30 Days)
bluejay_32 70
SocalSam 63
Old_Guy_Stu 57
hot__box 56
a_d_a_m 55
2011CVPI 53
RF_Overlord 41
GrumpMarky 39
Dmblanch 38
hkerekes 33
Member Spotlight

Copyright 2000-2015 by Crownvic.net and Steve Spaulding. All Rights Reserved.
The photographs, graphics and data contained in this Web site are the properties of the contributors, or Crownvic.net and may not be used without expressed written consent.
Crownvic.net is not affiliated with the Ford motor company.

Happily consuming the fuel saved by Prius owners!