Make payments with PayPal - it's fast, free and secure! registry | CVN on Facebook | tech | news | email login Make payments with PayPal - it's fast, free and secure!

Welcome to CVN - Your Panther platform headquarters!

Custom Search

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 >
Topic Options
#3486834 - 12/28/16 03:53 AM The Boxy Box Wagon
Bellwestern80 Offline

CVN Discord: Edsel
Over the Hill

Loc: Evans, Georgia
Despite not having the vehicle "home" (read: at storing location), I felt I might as well start the thread regarding the '87 Colony Park, since the story as to how all this happened is funny and stupid.

So I would have never found this car if I hadn't owned this:

Yeah, the '89 Sable was the catalyst that would get me where I needed to be. Needless to say, there was a Taurus member who had some Gen I parts I needed in South Carolina. I had been to his place once to get parts, and outside of his collection of Taurii, there was a lone '91 Colony Park he had purchased. During this meet, he invited me to one of the club meets later in the year.

That's when I was introduced to the '87:

He had purchased it not long after I had met him. He got bit by the Panther bug, more specifically the Box bug. He was looking to make a quick flip off of it. Well, quick in our books is a few years, as that was in late 2013. Needless to say, after driving it around in his yard, I knew I wanted it, but wasn't feasible at the time. Trouble was, I had already been bitten by the Box bug.

So things changed, later on he offered to sell me his '91 as he planned to keep the '87, then that changed and we came back to the '87 since the '91 sold before I had a chance to look at it more in depth. He had a fair amount of work he had to do on the '87 over all that time, such as fix the leaky roof at the rack, redo the A/C, redo the cooling system, rebuild the transmission, and freshen the interior. Today, outside of the paint still being just as toast as it was in 2013, it's considerably better than it was.

We worked out a deal at Carlisle this year and now everything is said and done. Only thing I have to do is store it off site since I'm staying at home while I'm going to college and it's still my mom's house, and she wants nothing to do with the wagon as she finds it ugly. On top of that, she doesn't know I own it. whistle I expect that ensuing [censored] to catch up with me eventually, but until then, I've got my fingers crossed.

On to more specifics about it...

It's a 1987 Mercury Grand Marquis Colony Park LS. Standard 302 and AOD combination. It has a 3G swap already done. Has a 3.27 open rear end and single exhaust. 8 Passenger seating, front seats swapped over to '92 Town Car seats. The body has over 315K on it, engine around 65K, and transmission around 5K. It was originally Sand Beige with wood grain which was stripped off and repainted two tone at some point. It's now gold and brown. It currently has 1990 specific Lincoln Town Car rims mounted on it.

I'm the third owner. The first owner was a WWII vet who bought the car new in Pennsylvania where it was for one year before it moved down to South Carolina for the remainder of his ownership. It's rather clean underneath thanks to it having lived in the South most of its life. In 2013, TecNickal picked it up in non-running condition (bad ground from battery). Obviously the story between then and now is above.

I've only got a few other old-ish photos, but I'll be sure to grab more when I pick up the wagon.

My Cars:
-1964 Mercury Comet 202 (116K Miles | 170 I6) - Restoration Project
-1986 Dodge D-150 Royale SE (112K Miles | 360 V8) - Waiting on a TorqueFlite
-1987 Mercury Colony Park LS (330K Miles | H.O. 302) - March 2017, November 2019, & September 2021 POTM Winner
-1997 Mercury Grand Marquis LS (230K Miles | nPI 4.6) - The Daily Workhorse & April 2013 POTM Winner

#3486954 - 12/28/16 10:20 AM Re: The Boxy Box Wagon [Re: Bellwestern80]
CrownBen Offline
Over the Hill

Loc: EN51wt
Looks good! Had you not said anything, I'd have thought it was all a well-kept original.
Haha, I've pulled some shenanigans like that, hiding cars somewhere else and what-not. For years, my friends and I just kind of passed cars between ourselves- we called it "keeping it in the family". Sadly, those times and those cars are long gone.
Despite being largely mechanically the same as their later brethren, boxes definitely have a personality of their own. I've said many times how much I miss my '86 (the LTD in particular), and it's still true. I don't think I'll be able to get away with having another.
Congrats on the score, here's hoping everything (quietly) falls into place! beer1 woot mercury

#3490058 - 12/30/16 04:12 PM Re: The Boxy Box Wagon [Re: Bellwestern80]
a_d_a_m Online   drunk

3 Orange Whips
Metroplectic

Loc: Cleveland, OH
Jealousy level = high

'91 LTD Country Squire (POTM Mar. '19) | '03 Marauder (POTM Nov. '10, Jul. '20) | 2010 P7B (POTM Feb. '21)
formerly: '02 MGM, '04 MGM, '04 MGM v2.0, '04 MM, '07 P71 (POTM Feb. '18), '04 CVLX (POTM Jun. '19 and the best car ever), '03 SAP P71

#3493594 - 01/02/17 10:39 PM Re: The Boxy Box Wagon [Re: Bellwestern80]
Bellwestern80 Offline

Over the Hill

For the previous history from 2013-2016, click here (redirect to GMN): Early History

Today was the pick up day. TecNickal came down in his '89 Colony Park and picked myself and friend up and drove us back up to South Carolina. We got to work on getting things ready so that the car would be good to ride back down to Georgia, so it did need a little preliminary preparations.

Mechanically, everything is rock solid on this thing. It runs great. A/C is cold, heat is hot, the AOD shifts smoothly, and the 302 happily cruises down the road at 55. Generally rust free, except for some odd, dime-sized hole below the passenger A-Pillar, because logic. That won't be hard to clean up and patch. There are some minor interior things that have to be taken care of, but nothing that would be unexpected in a 30 year old wagon. We temporarily took out the front door lock actuators since one of the replacements had locked up (thanks Dorman), and the other one needed a clip. No big deal, and definitely nothing that can't be handled easily.

TecNickal gave me a lot of extra interior trim bits to go with it and I'll be getting some more stuff next time I go up. I have wagon cargo coils to put up under the rear, along side the PI control arms and rear sway bar. We loaded the rear with the old rims and tyres along with everything else and it saaaggggggss. I believe the rear springs are likely original anyway, so the tiredness isn't unexpected. It does have good shocks, so those'll stay when the rear gets the springs put in.

Right now as it sits it just needs a really good interior and exterior cleaning since it sat for a little bit. The front seats are great (Lincoln Town Car seats!), and the rear is fair, save for the bottom cushion which I have a replacement on hand. I'll get that fitted after it gets cleaned up really well.

Here's some pictures:

Away it goes:

Parked at it's new home (stored at a family friend's house):

It is interesting to note that this car is a February car and my '97 is also a February car. I'd be very curious of the specific day this one came of the line. I wonder how close it was to the day the '97 was built, as it was built on the 12th.

So, what's on the list for upcoming things? Well there's some preventive maintenance that'll be done and some general repairs to get everything near 100%.

Currently looking at:
-Replacing rear springs
-Re-installing lock actuators
-Replacing ignition switch (PM)
-Changing differential fluid
-Fixing the wipers

That's the most serious stuff that needs attention over the next few weeks/months. Anything else that needs dealing with (small trim bits, et al) will be dealt with in-between.

There's also some fun stuff planned, too:
-Adding passenger vent window
-Adding dual exhaust
-Adding rear sway bar and PI control arms
-Adding a Class III/IV receiver

TL;DR: Got a wagon, going to clean it up, and drive!

My Cars:
-1987 Mercury Colony Park LS (330K Miles | H.O. 302) - March 2017, November 2019, & September 2021 POTM Winner
-1997 Mercury Grand Marquis LS (230K Miles | nPI 4.6) - The Daily Workhorse & April 2013 POTM Winner

#3493962 - 01/03/17 09:24 AM Re: The Boxy Box Wagon [Re: Bellwestern80]
BigMerc96 Offline

I know nothing
Posting Addict

Loc: I can see Detroit from here!
Neat! You finally got it!

Interesting region code on the door tag, its RC 16 which my books have no data for but closest is 15 or 18 which are Pittsburgh or Philadelphia respectively according to my '96 book. For those who don't know, there's lots of "hidden" info in that block of numbers on the lower right side of the tags, they contain the production number (used for tracking that car thru production, and for warranty info b4 computers) as well as any DSO (Dealer Special Order) codes, along with the Region Code which tells which general area the car was to be shipped too after production.

2006 Audi A6 ~132k miles, stock.
1998 Mercury Grand Marquis LS HPP ~100k miles, slowly acquiring modifications.
1997 Town Car Cartier ~145k miles, Ported Plenum, Gutted Airbox, Contour E-fan Retrofit, Dual exhaust with Magnaflows, cats deleted, MSD Ignition, KYB Gas-A-Justs, P71 front bar, air ride reinstated, Projector retrofit, Caddy 4-note horn retrofit, Wood rim steering wheel retrofit, holistic weight reduction as the parts fall off..
1996 Mercury Grand Marquis GS 117,485mi. R.I.P. 7/14/12 frown

#3495178 - 01/03/17 11:49 PM Re: The Boxy Box Wagon [Re: BigMerc96]
Bellwestern80 Offline

Over the Hill

Originally Posted By BigMerc96
Interesting region code on the door tag, its RC 16 which my books have no data for but closest is 15 or 18 which are Pittsburgh or Philadelphia respectively according to my '96 book.

To my knowledge, it originally was purchased new in Pennsylvania, stayed there a year, and then moved to South Carolina where it remained until now. If anything, that's where that region code relates to.

My Cars:

#3506074 - 01/12/17 05:57 PM Re: The Boxy Box Wagon [Re: Bellwestern80]
Bellwestern80 Offline

Over the Hill

I took the wagon out today to run some errands and look into some existing issues.

Did the initial walk around, fluid check, and thus far, it doesn't appear to be using or leaking anything. Oil level has stayed consistent, coolant appears fine and is at the right level. I'll give it to TecNickal, having redone most of the gaskets on the engine has made it an essentially leak-free 302.

I washed it down at a DIY car wash for the first time in who knows how long so I could figure out where water leaks were coming from. I knew the front vent window wasn't 100% water tight against a strong blast of water from the wand, but otherwise stayed dry. Very small drip was noted from the upper corner of the front passenger door near the B-Pillar. I avoided spraying the tailgate seal too hard, since it too won't tolerate high pressure water spray. I checked around in the tailgate area for water intrusion, but couldn't find any. There is a distinct drip from the left passenger door near the C-Pillar, though. It looks like there's a tear in the weatherstripping allowing for the water to pass right into the cabin. I'll try and put some sealer behind it to stop that from continuing. It's not often this'll be out in the rain, but I'd rather have it stay generally dry inside.

Following that, I drove down to the junkyard and grabbed a wiper switch from a '89 Town Car that had a pretty decent tan leather interior. Someone took the driver's seat, but the passenger seat still looked great! Very surprised to see that. Next time I'm working on the wagon, I'll swap in the switch and see if that brings the wipers back to life. If not, I'll keep troubleshooting.

Cruising around, I did notice the fuel gauge is a little erratic right now. It had been hovering around the 1/2 mark for a while, then dropped to almost E with the light on, then the light went off and the needle stayed near E. I tossed some gas in and it only took 10 gallons. I'm guessing the sender hasn't seen much action, so it might need to just be driven so that the float can make a few sweeps. Surprisingly over the 180 miles it had covered at that point, it had an average of 17 MPG in a lot of city traffic. Better than I expected. The 3.27s definitely help out since it doesn't take much to get it going. smile

When I parked it under its carport this evening, I did install the NOS tailgate handle and replacement screw to figure out if the tailgate would fold down. Unfortunately, it feels like something is sticking because it won't fold down after the window is lowered. Still swings open okay, though. I also tried some TR-3 on the hood to see if I can get a shine out of the rather dull paint. I did get a bit of a shine, but it'll need a few rounds of that stuff to really determine if it can shine the finish. The single stage garbage has not dealt well with the sun, but when it was done in the first place, it was done poorly. Some day it'll get a proper repaint, but for now, the focus is getting all the interior and suspension bits worked out, then focusing on sprucing up the exterior.

All in all, I've been impressed with how well it has been working thus far.

My Cars:

#3506746 - 01/12/17 11:53 PM Re: The Boxy Box Wagon [Re: Bellwestern80]
Ezbok58a Offline
Banned
Posting Addict

Loc: Who wants to know...
That is cool, congrats on the Wagon.

Dammit, I still want a box...

#3507226 - 01/13/17 01:46 PM Re: The Boxy Box Wagon [Re: Ezbok58a]
Bellwestern80 Offline

Over the Hill

Originally Posted By Ezbok58a
That is cool, congrats on the Wagon.

Dammit, I still want a box...

Thanks. It might be a project on the side, but it's always fun to drive.

As far as Boxes go, I'd really suggest an '86+ since SEFI (unless you find a 351 car) equipped ones made the most power stock and had a lot of the weird, early issues ironed out. I'm glad this one came with 3.27s since it really helps around town only having 150 HP. I wouldn't want to imagine driving one with 2.73s or 3.08s, especially given the extra weight on a wagon.

Wagons and two doors are fairly uncommon, but do pop up. Four door ones pop up a lot. There's still plenty left down here that are typically rust free. Condition can vary from being really nice to completely trashed. If you ever decide to go looking for one and are thinking of a Southern car, let me know.

My Cars:

#3507234 - 01/13/17 01:49 PM Re: The Boxy Box Wagon [Re: Bellwestern80]
Ezbok58a Offline
Banned
Posting Addict

If I'm going box crown Vic it's a 86-87 just for the EFI. If GMQ it's 88-91.

I like the boxy Vic more, and I like the rounded GM more...lol

Town Car still a possibility there too.

#3509553 - 01/15/17 12:04 AM Re: The Boxy Box Wagon [Re: Bellwestern80]
Bellwestern80 Offline

Over the Hill

Drove up to TecNicalk's today after working on my aunt's GMQ. Grabbed a bunch of additional parts to have for spares and upgrades. Good door seals to replace some shot ones, vent window for the passenger side with good seals and the glass, headlight bezels, and the list continues.

Anyways, today the rear springs were tackled at a friend's house this evening. It got "new" cargo coils that wound up under my '97 for a week, taken out for obvious reasons, given to TecNickal, then given back to me. So here we are:

Of course I busted a chunk out of one of those Townie center caps trying to get it off with a screwdriver. Oops. I'll fix it soon since it was only a small, but glueable piece. It seems plastic trim removal tools work great on those, however. The rake isn't as bad as the picture makes it out, and I'm sure it'll actually settle some with proper weight on them. It still has some boaty aspects, but doesn't sag and float nearly as bad as it did. The old springs found themselves to work great living in a trash can.

Also, the odometer hit 315,000 miles on the return trip to its garage.

The more time I spend learning the "intricacies" of this thing along with the help from TecNickal, the more comfortable I become getting down to business with it.

My Cars:

#3510641 - 01/15/17 07:01 PM Re: The Boxy Box Wagon [Re: Bellwestern80]
Bellwestern80 Offline

Over the Hill

So this wasn't a perfect car to start with, but I didn't need it made worse!

The guy stays where the car is stored backed his truck into the damn tailgate. I can't even figure out how he didn't see the [censored] thing.

I'm going to and bang the dent out. If that doesn't work, a shop will look at it. I was going to have all the major body work taken care of when it gets painted down the road. Now it looks like it'll have to get some done beforehand. FML. Both of my cars are messed up in someway or another now. At least the wagon was consistently the same color all around.

My Cars:

#3510697 - 01/15/17 07:42 PM Re: The Boxy Box Wagon [Re: Bellwestern80]
RESlagle Offline
Banned
Over the Hill

Loc: Orange County, California
Damn, I'd be pretty upset. At least the person who did it was honest about it.

- POTM - November 2016 & May 2018 Winner -

#3510705 - 01/15/17 07:43 PM Re: The Boxy Box Wagon [Re: Bellwestern80]
PALEO Offline
Climber

Loc: Spicewood Texas, USA
I would flip out..sad
2000 CPVI with all new Moog Suspension, 17 by 8 wheels, 245/45/17 tires, PI intake manifold, granatelli ported plenum, 1/2 inch plenum spacer, Ford racing 70mm ported TB, Marauder air box/MAF, New plugs and MSD coils, flownasters, 3.55 gears, Marauder spoiler, Addco sway bars, Steeda underdrives, and a 93 LONNIE tune! 133,308 miles----learned a little----I need another

1993 Dodge D150/318 - 2003 Chevy Trailblazer LTZ - 1999 Chevy Tahoe LT-350 - 2001 Cadillac Deville

Born on Groundhog Day!

#3510801 - 01/15/17 09:26 PM Re: The Boxy Box Wagon [Re: Bellwestern80]
Ezbok58a Offline
Banned
Posting Addict

He better pay for the repair on it.

#3510961 - 01/15/17 10:12 PM Re: The Boxy Box Wagon [Re: Bellwestern80]
Chaplian Offline
Insert witty title here
Poobah

Loc: Chicago, IL
That blows man, really sucks to see that. I hope he pays for a part of it or something.

Also, don't bang it out. You'll only make it worse.

A paintless dent removal guy might be able to get it out for $300 or so.

2011 Crown Vic LX- 73,xxx.
2003 Crown Vic HPP- 235,xxx miles. Retired.
1995 Impala SS- 29xxx miles. The Lovely Lady
2003 BMW 325i Sedan- 138,xxx miles. Sold. RIP.
2003 BMW 325i Wagon- 8250 RPM redline. Complete M3 drivetrain, suspension, and electronics. Taylor Swift.
2017 Mazda3 GT Hatchback- 71,xxxx miles. 2.5L, fully loaded. The Daily Grind.

#3511033 - 01/15/17 11:05 PM Re: The Boxy Box Wagon [Re: Bellwestern80]
Bellwestern80 Offline

Over the Hill

I've got some lines from folks on GMN (along with the PO) about some junkyard wagons with tailgates. If anything it would be easier to swap on a replacement tailgate.

I'd just spray bomb the donor part to be close enough to everything else. The paint isn't perfect on this, so close enough for a "temporary" paint job will be good enough.

I have all these other parts to go on (vent windows, seals, etc.), but now it looks like I'll be focusing on getting this fixed first and foremost. I could live with the faded paint on the roof, but that tailgate is incredibly unsightly.

My Cars:

#3511585 - 01/16/17 01:31 PM Re: The Boxy Box Wagon [Re: Bellwestern80]
CrownBen Offline
Over the Hill

That sucks. But yeah, the dude was honest about it, maybe he'll throw you some change to help with the repair.

If you can find a complete tailgate, though, I'd imagine it'd be easier to go that route. It would also give you a good excuse to pull it apart and make sure the linkage and everything is working properly.

You say you have weatherstripping so this doesn't really matter, but my Grand Prix had electrical tape in several places where the original weatherstripping had split/disintegrated. I was surprised (a) how well it worked and (b) how long it lasted- all the way to to wherever it met its' fate, a crusher I'm sure.

Edited by CrownBen (01/16/17 01:35 PM)

#3512233 - 01/16/17 11:32 PM Re: The Boxy Box Wagon [Re: CrownBen]
Bellwestern80 Offline

Over the Hill

Originally Posted By CrownBen
You say you have weatherstripping so this doesn't really matter, but my Grand Prix had electrical tape in several places where the original weatherstripping had split/disintegrated. I was surprised (a) how well it worked and (b) how long it lasted- all the way to to wherever it met its' fate, a crusher I'm sure.

I have good weatherstripping for the doors. The tailgate weatherstripping on the other hand is toast. Trouble is it has a traditional seal at the bottom, but transitions to a window seal style (think SN95 Mustangs). That seal has been obsolete for years and no one has had a solid solution for the seal. I'm going to try and put some sealant on the worst areas and hope it works. It can keep 98% of the water out, unless it takes direct, hard sprays.

With regards to my inspection today, the tailgate is toast:

That thing is creased from the center to the bottom. On the other hand, the previous owner knows a place that has a '83 or '84 Country Squire, so he's going to grab the tailgate from it, I'll pay him, and then I'll collect the money from the guy who hit it. I'm probably going to spray the replacement panel with colors that are close enough to get away with for a while. I'm not concerned with it being perfect, but I don't think burnt wood grain and whatever color the donor is would be better. The only thing that tailgate will lack is the high mount brake light, but that's no big deal since it looks like it was just tossed on with the 1986 mandate.

As far as the current tailgate goes, the window goes down halfway before binding up and you can open it about 4 to 5 inches before it binds on the body. 100% boned. At least it won't be like that too long.

Today I did get some general maintenance out of the way, which involved changing the oil. I also replaced the wiper switch, but the wipers are still dead. I need to break out my multimeter and figure out where I don't have power. I'm going to need the wipers some day, lol.

My Cars:

#3514105 - 01/18/17 08:47 AM Re: The Boxy Box Wagon [Re: Bellwestern80]
CrownBen Offline
Over the Hill

That's the kind the Grand Prix had, it had frameless doors.
After a while I got tired of the wind noise, and getting sprayed whenever it rained. So I just cut a piece of electrical tape, and carefully placed it. It conformed to the contour nicely.

Of course this requires quality tape, not that cheap stuff that loses all adhesion and turns into a solid piece of plastic below 60 degrees.

#3517929 - 01/21/17 03:56 PM Re: The Boxy Box Wagon [Re: Bellwestern80]
Bellwestern80 Offline

Over the Hill

Super big shout out to TecNickal for grabbing a "new" door!

The trim is different, but I don't care. Eventually it'll be gone, but I'll work with it for now. I'll try working on it next week.

My Cars:

#3517969 - 01/21/17 04:11 PM Re: The Boxy Box Wagon [Re: Bellwestern80]
Ezbok58a Offline
Banned
Posting Addict

Here's an idea since you're pulling the tailgate off the car. See if you can repair the dent yourself once you get it off. Like a side project and if it works you have a spare tailgate for the car.

#3524490 - 01/26/17 08:49 PM Re: The Boxy Box Wagon [Re: Bellwestern80]
Bellwestern80 Offline

Over the Hill

I think I may have narrowed down some colors for the tailgate a bit better. Matching colors without any idea is a bit tough, but DupliColor has two GM colors that look pretty close.

DupliColor Light Chestnut Metallic

DupliColor Cordova Brown Metallic (No Color Square Available)

I'll order them through Amazon. I'll grab any extra supplies that I can from work. Anything I can't get there, I'll get online.

Supplies list (so I don't screw this up too bad):
-Painter's Tape
-Sandable automotive primer
-Primer Sealer
-Base Colors
-Acrylic Clear Coat
-Fiberglass reinforced body filler
-Regular body filler
-Sand paper

Anyone think of something I may need that I have left off that list? Depending on the weather will affect when and how the painting goes. It'll probably be taken care of next month when I have some free time. I'd really like to work on it during the weekend since it's not at my place and that would give me the most time to do anything.

My Cars:

#3525882 - 01/27/17 09:46 PM Re: The Boxy Box Wagon [Re: Bellwestern80]
Sh0rtlife Offline

Loc: pacific north WET
first off you shouldnt EVER need f-glass filler

"if" your trying to go over rust...oy lets just not go there

if the dent your working is "deep" as in more than 1/4 inch i would strongly recomend working the area more, that said you cant always and sometimes you still have to work with the deep stuff..in that case start out with "all-metal" its the ONLY filler i am aware of that will not only work in the deep stuff but actualy hold on.....its specificly designed as a replacement for lead seam filler

on the subject of filler you should then use an intermediat base filler, followed by a "glazing putty" most brands are as good as the next..i prefer usc? or was it usmc?..either way thats the brand i like but ive recently found a good inexpensive stuff call dolphin..works very well and seems to be a dead math for the other stuff

on sand paper, 40, 80, 120, 220, 320...use the 40 for the hard cut, 80 for the your getting teher 120 for the i think ive got it 220 for the yeah im ready for paint..i think, 320 for the final proof

on the tape..and i cant stress this enuf, if you want ZERO bleed get the plastic "pinstripe mask" 3M tape..its the ONLY tape taht will give you a true clean line, and FWIW find a local autobody supply house you can probably get most of it on site for the same price or less

if you want to try and beat out that dent..and want some ideas, i did my first BAD creased fender(72 caddy eldarado) in the pud..dont laugh but having hard mud acted like a sand bag and it let me work the dent over to the point i was down to only needing dollys....grab a block of wood the size of the dent and put it on the inside of the panel and beat it out against the dirt

its a pretty nice lookin wagon..reminds me of the 80 linc i had

Edited by Sh0rtlife (01/27/17 09:49 PM)

#3526162 - 01/28/17 12:58 AM Re: The Boxy Box Wagon [Re: Sh0rtlife]
Bellwestern80 Offline

Over the Hill

Originally Posted By Sh0rtlife
first off you shouldnt EVER need f-glass filler

"if" your trying to go over rust...oy lets just not go there

I have a replacement tailgate, but there's some rust in the corners because the wagon sat in a junkyard for almost two decades. It's likely the area can be sanded/cleaned up to solid metal and prepped from there. Someone on another forum recommended the fiberglass filler for the area, but I've never had to do any real body work, so, yeah... whistle Trying to learn as I go. My goal is just to remove the rust, then get the area sealed to prevent it from happening again.

The plan is to keep the original tailgate and learn how to do some body work and see if I can generally pop out that dent. It'll be nice to have a panel I can mess with and not be too concerned what happens to it.

My Cars:

#3529530 - 01/30/17 07:41 PM Re: The Boxy Box Wagon [Re: Bellwestern80]
Sh0rtlife Offline

Loc: pacific north WET
get yourself some form of por15 or such..its sold under half a dozen names, eastwood makes a good one, tho i get something localy thats half teh price of eaither, use it to coat the INSIDE of teh tailgate where you cant see it, as the rust always starts on the inside and works its way out..another great anti rust product is "rustmort"..anywhere on the outside..where you will be laying paint..do a good prep and then lay down a coat of epoxy primer

the F-glass strand is the way we used to use fillers back in the 70s and 80s..and still is used on uber rusty stuff to scabber em together to sell em to the next schmuck ..its NOT a real repair..ranks right up there with slapping some screendoor matrial over the hole and then slathering it with bondo

if you want to toss a pic of the gate seal up id love to see if i can lend a hand...ive come up with some odd replacements over the years...obsolete dodge truck door seals swapped with 80s chevy truck seals as they actualy work better...i also know of some companys that are pretty well by contact of another person who knows about them, alegedly seals for alfa alfttas and gtv6's dont exist but "mr fiat"( a small seal company) does offer them...i also have some connections to guys who have the ability to do small batch runs on stuff

Edited by Sh0rtlife (01/30/17 07:42 PM)

#3529874 - 01/31/17 12:22 AM Re: The Boxy Box Wagon [Re: Sh0rtlife]
Bellwestern80 Offline

Over the Hill

Originally Posted By Sh0rtlife
get yourself some form of por15 or such..its sold under half a dozen names, eastwood makes a good one, tho i get something localy thats half teh price of eaither, use it to coat the INSIDE of teh tailgate where you cant see it, as the rust always starts on the inside and works its way out..another great anti rust product is "rustmort"..anywhere on the outside..where you will be laying paint..do a good prep and then lay down a coat of epoxy primer

the F-glass strand is the way we used to use fillers back in the 70s and 80s..and still is used on uber rusty stuff to scabber em together to sell em to the next schmuck ..its NOT a real repair..ranks right up there with slapping some screendoor matrial over the hole and then slathering it with bondo

if you want to toss a pic of the gate seal up id love to see if i can lend a hand...ive come up with some odd replacements over the years...obsolete dodge truck door seals swapped with 80s chevy truck seals as they actualy work better...i also know of some companys that are pretty well by contact of another person who knows about them, alegedly seals for alfa alfttas and gtv6's dont exist but "mr fiat"( a small seal company) does offer them...i also have some connections to guys who have the ability to do small batch runs on stuff

I'll grab a few photos of the weatherstripping later this week. If any substitute can be found, you'd be helping a lot of Box wagon owners. The sun just destroys that stuff turning it into hard, crumbly nonsense. Any and all help is always appreciated.

My Cars:

#3556417 - 02/25/17 09:57 PM Re: The Boxy Box Wagon [Re: Bellwestern80]
Bellwestern80 Offline

Over the Hill

Got some more parts for the wagon. smile

Starting with the exhaust, I have a gutted set of catalytic converter down pipes. These will replace the catless junk down pipes put on at some point by the original owner. As much as I would prefer proper emissions equipment, the cost isn't worth it to do. At least I'll be able to properly bolt the system together as the existing system is all welded together. I also did get a rather fresh dual exhaust mid-section consisting of an H-Pipe and mufflers. I'll probably get the system installed after I do the rear control arms and sway bar. The top bolt on the right side control arm is affected by the muffler being in the way. When I pulled that set at the junkyard, I smashed a huge dent into the muffler on the junk car and had to hold the system to the side so the bolt could be worked out. It made that process a huge PITA.

I also got a "basic", no rub-strip front bumper. The one on the car has a holes drilled in the bumper for a front license plate. I'm not sure why the license plate bracket had been absent when that happened, but it occurred under the original owner. The guy I got it from installed the proper license plate bracket, but there's still a visible hole to the side of the plate. Anyway, the replacement bumper looks a bit nicer without all that black rubber on it. Maybe some day I'll find a matching rear bumper.

Needless to say, to carry everything back, we had to get the tailgate to open. We did have to take a small block of wood and a hammer to the dented area to get the panel to bend enough to open the tailgate and roll down the window. It's still very dented and creased up, so it still looks terrible, but that's why there's a replacement getting prepped to go on. wink At least I can use the wagon the way you're supposed to again!

For having now put over 1,000 miles on it, I have not been disappointed. It has done very well in town and on the highway. While it is considerably happier doing 70 MPH and less, it hasn't had any problems burying the speedometer. whistle I've still got some small issues to still fix, but nothing that negatively affects it's operation.

My Cars:

#3561769 - 03/03/17 11:07 AM Re: The Boxy Box Wagon [Re: Bellwestern80]
TecNickal Offline
n00b

Loc: Blythewood, SC
That car is diamond in the rough. My second Colony Park. Not my most loved car, but I did enjoy learning some things on it and sprucing it up with NOS and like NOS parts to freshen it up (like seats, dash pad, grill, hood ornament, etc). The motor on that car is amazing. And the tranny is good too now that it's rebuilt and not slipping between 1 and 2. You will get a lot of use out of that car -hope you enjoy it and people don't smash it all to smithereens with their tee-rucks!
-04 F150 Reg Cab Long Bed

#3569001 - 03/09/17 06:06 PM Re: The Boxy Box Wagon [Re: Bellwestern80]
Bellwestern80 Offline

Over the Hill

I haven't been doing too much with the wagon except taking it out every few days and doing some errands with it.

I did complete my speedometer updates. I changed out the green LEDs from the turn signal indicators back to incandescent so they wouldn't be so bright at night as it was very bright and would mess with my eyes. The only LEDs are for the illumination. The needles received a coat of orange acrylic paint for greater visibility from the background. I never really intended to modify the cluster much as I like generally as it was, but I found the shortcomings after some night drives. If any other change ever happens to it, it would likely be the uber rare 135 MPH police speedometer, but finding those would be like winning the lottery.

FWIW, I found it easier to remove the cover from the cluster and take out the shift indicator than removing the shift indicator collar and the column shroud to get the cluster out:

Mounted and going:

I really want to see how it looks in car at night with the lights, but that'll probably wait until this weekend. Some people might find the orange odd since the theme on these clusters was black and silver, but it does help make the needles stand out a bit more.

My Cars:

#3619777 - 04/24/17 07:49 PM Re: The Boxy Box Wagon [Re: Bellwestern80]
Bellwestern80 Offline

Over the Hill

More work today!

The passenger side front door finally got its vent window swapped in with new window felt. The old window channel felt was so tough and brittle that once I got it all out, I had reduced it into hundreds of small pieces and chunks. I also installed a vent window dew wipe trim piece since it had a healthier dew wipe compared to what I pulled off. The old one was badly cracked and had scratched the original glass very deeply.

Swap photos:

I need to clean the glass, since it has been collecting dust and grime for some time. I know Nick had grabbed the glass and vent window some time ago since I remember the driver's side having been converted in 2014.

As far as the installation, it wasn't as bad as I expected. Getting the glass in and out wasn't any worse than when I changed my regulators on the '97. The only thing I'll complain about is Ford's affinity for pop rivets. All of the pop rivets that were removed were replaced by 1/4-20 x 1 flange bolts and locking flange nuts. The use of flange bolts and lock nuts cuts down the need for washers of the standard or locking type. The vent glass was secured with M6-20 x 22mm bolts and nuts since the 1/4-20 bolts were a touch large and didn't want to fit between the door body, dew wipe trim, and the vent window chassis.

Anyway, everything is good and I should be able to get the glass cleaned either tomorrow or Wednesday.

My Cars:

#3642953 - 05/19/17 05:05 PM Re: The Boxy Box Wagon [Re: Bellwestern80]
Bellwestern80 Offline

Over the Hill

I attempted at making the car clean-ish on the exterior. Something tells me the last time this car probably got this much attention on the exterior was during the Clinton administration.

Anyway, I washed it down, took TR-3 to it, then Turtle Wax (paste type) since I wasn't going to do anything really insane with it, but just attempt to clean it up some more. I did manage to get an incredibly dull shine on the roof. I also transferred a lot of color and dirt onto my rags while polishing. The roof and hood were the worst offenders, while the sides didn't transfer much at all.

Roof (polished on left, untouched on right):

Under the carport (it got too hot not being under some cover):

Roof finished:

Everything else:

Next week I need to get the condition the seats, clean the glass on the inside, and vacuum. I just wanted to get the exterior cleaned up so that I can easily hose it down later on to remove any road grime and bugs. I may also try and polish the bumpers.

My Cars:

#3643721 - 05/20/17 07:40 PM Re: The Boxy Box Wagon [Re: Bellwestern80]
hot__box Offline

Over the Hill

Loc: New Orleans, Louisiana
generally not a fan of wagons, but your colony park is nice. it cleaned up nicely with the wax. Those wheels look good too, what are they from ??

’97 Marquis M75
‘99 Cherokee XJ, 4.0L‘21 F-250 4X4, 6.2L‘85 Impala, 5.0L “Hot Box”
Front Window Regulator Guide 1995 - 1997 Tune Up Guide How To: Fuel Injector Replacement

#3643929 - 05/20/17 11:34 PM Re: The Boxy Box Wagon [Re: hot__box]
Bellwestern80 Offline

Over the Hill

Originally Posted By garndreadz
Those wheels look good too, what are they from ??

The wheels are from a Lincoln Town Car. They're 1990 specific wheels to boot. I got them from them for free from the guy I bought the wagon from. He installed the 15" lacy spoke style ones on his Town Car and just wanted those gone, so I took them.

I put them on there since the wagon wound up on some multifit 15" steel wheels with old rotten monster tires on it. The fronts were 235/75R15 and the rears were 265/75R15. It originally had 15" steelies with wire wheel covers, but those rims wound up on a '66 Country Squire at some point.

At some point I may hunt down some Turbines from a LTD or GMQ, or the Town Car Snowflake Turbines.

I'd just need to find a full set of the wreath type center caps if I went with that route. The current wheels are just close enough to work since the Lincoln emblem looks a bit like the old Mercury wreath.

My Cars:

#3654314 - 06/04/17 11:35 PM Re: The Boxy Box Wagon [Re: Bellwestern80]
Bellwestern80 Offline

Over the Hill

Wagon made the trip back. Kept a consistent average of 20 MPG while driving between 60-72 MPH. Didn't take as many photos as I should have, but here's a handful of trip related things...

I-20 was the starting point at 7 AM:

Just cleared the West Virginia border. Virginia becomes very boring once you clear the mountain range (not like WV is anymore exciting, just glad to be in another state):

Wagon class on the show field:

Shots from a different part of the show field while things were winding down.

5 PM on a Saturday and people are heading out...

Return trip in the Virginia mountains:

The weather would take a turn for the worst near the VA/NC border where I kept getting slammed by strong storms on I-77. I had to detour off about 30 miles north of Charlotte when the highway came to a quick halt and essentially just stopped moving all together. I detoured almost 10 miles around to pick up I-77. Whatever happened was drawing a ton of emergency vehicles and state troopers were sending traffic entering the highway back up the on ramp. I'm fairly glad I noped out of that situation, because I'd likely would have had some problems sitting there. It continued with showers and storms all the way to when I pulled in the driveway.

Also, Regular Car Reviews was also at the show on Saturday with the Vagabond Falcon. They had an open to the public podcast.

The one thing I didn't photograph was later in the day after their podcast ended, Mr. Regular and his intern were walking the show field and were actually interested in the wagon. They both jumped in the pop up rear seats. I told him that I was unfortunately down in GA, but I've left him with an e-mail submission in case he ever winds up down in the Southeast again. I thought that was pretty cool. There's a picture of my friend Mark and Mr. Regular together standing beside it, but I'd need to message him for that. Mr. Regular's Falcon definitely looks pretty cool in person.

Anyway, now that I'm home, I've got to iron out a new issue that turned up after the heater hose issue. The wagon was running fine after that, however on a return trip to our hotel, our pack got carried away and was cruising fast, and being in the middle, I was pushing it along (read: speedometer was usually near leaving the numbers). Anyway, it has a distinct miss feeling at idle. It's not as smooth as it used to be, but stays running without issue. You can really feel it on light acceleration below 10 MPH, kinda like a stutter. Once you're moving at speed, it's not obvious anything is wrong. I'm going to check the cap to see if anything got sprayed in it, check the wires, and then the plugs. You can really hear the fact something doesn't seem right from it's exhaust leak since the ticking isn't as consistent on the passenger side as it usually is.

As nice as it is to drive this car, I really do enjoy getting behind the wheel of the '97. I think it's a combination of more available power and improved seating position. I'm usually tired after driving 12 hours, but there's a lot more effort that has to go into driving the '87. You need to guide it up to speed before resuming your cruise control so it doesn't floor itself and waste fuel, plan your passes, and accept you really can't floor it through things like you can with 4.6 cars. The '97 easily dances on the highway, while the '87 not so much. It'll cruise 70 MPH all day, but when people can't choose a consistent speed, you start getting frustrated trying to build speed, just to lose it.

My Cars:

#3654554 - 06/05/17 10:49 AM Re: The Boxy Box Wagon [Re: Bellwestern80]
hot__box Offline

Over the Hill

Loc: New Orleans, Louisiana
nice pics. the colony park looks good as usual.

Originally Posted By Bellwestern80
Anyway, it has a distinct miss feeling at idle. It's not as smooth as it used to be, but stays running without issue. You can really feel it on light acceleration below 10 MPH, kinda like a stutter. Once you're moving at speed, it's not obvious anything is wrong. I'm going to check the cap to see if anything got sprayed in it, check the wires, and then the plugs. You can really hear the fact something doesn't seem right from it's exhaust leak since the ticking isn't as consistent on the passenger side as it usually is.

i'm having a similar issue on my buick, minus the idle issue. I've done a full tune up and haven't solved it. I've got a few more tricks up my sleeve. If/when i figure it out i'll let you know, since it could possibly be a similar problem.

As nice as it is to drive this car, I really do enjoy getting behind the wheel of the '97. I think it's a combination of more available power and improved seating position. I'm usually tired after driving 12 hours, but there's a lot more effort that has to go into driving the '87. You need to guide it up to speed before resuming your cruise control so it doesn't floor itself and waste fuel, plan your passes, and accept you really can't floor it through things like you can with 4.6 cars. The '97 easily dances on the highway, while the '87 not so much. It'll cruise 70 MPH all day, but when people can't choose a consistent speed, you start getting frustrated trying to build speed, just to lose it.

I hear you there. Unfortunately one of the bad things about driving classic cars in a modern world is the modern world drivers you have to share the road with. I don't mind a little hard driving, especially in fuel injected vehicles but I try to drive easy in the old schools. Unfortunately it becomes hard to do that and inevitably i have to drive them hard sometimes just to keep with the flow of traffic, otherwise i'll get tailgated or run off the road, hard accelerations to merge so I don't get slammed by speeding/ impatient drivers, people zipping around, slamming brakes, etc, so far and so forth. Driving habits i normally wouldn't bat an eye sometimes make me cringe when I can tell that the car is NOT liking building up speed just to lose it, as you say, over and over, hard stops and starts, etc.

that being said, i try to leave the daily duty for the Suburban and take the classics out when traffic is lighter, but meh.. sometimes it doesn't work that way.

’97 Marquis M75
‘99 Cherokee XJ, 4.0L‘21 F-250 4X4, 6.2L‘85 Impala, 5.0L “Hot Box”
Front Window Regulator Guide 1995 - 1997 Tune Up Guide How To: Fuel Injector Replacement

#3654730 - 06/05/17 02:43 PM Re: The Boxy Box Wagon [Re: Bellwestern80]
BigMerc96 Offline

I know nothing
Posting Addict

My buddy's '91 Wagon did the same thing after driving aggressively and burying the speedometer a time or 4 in a trip. Shortly thereafter it wouldn't start, pop the distributor cap, the tip of the rotor was sheared off and just chilling in there. It ran normally after putting in a different rotor. We don't really know how many miles were on it, odometer read 9700 miles the whole time he had it, and I wouldn't be surprised if that was the 2nd go-around when it broke. The distributor was pretty well shot, it would get oil under the cap if on the highway for an extended period, and you could almost wiggle the rotor side to side. I'm sure timing chain had a laughable amount of play in it as well. But that was the only time it ever failed to start.

1997 Town Car Cartier ~145k miles, Ported Plenum, Gutted Airbox, Contour E-fan Retrofit, Dual exhaust with Magnaflows, cats deleted, MSD Ignition, KYB Gas-A-Justs, P71 front bar, air ride reinstated, Projector retrofit, Caddy 4-note horn retrofit, Wood rim steering wheel retrofit, holistic weight reduction as the parts fall off..

#3675546 - 06/30/17 12:57 PM Re: The Boxy Box Wagon [Re: Bellwestern80]
Bellwestern80 Offline

Over the Hill

The wagon is still having issues with rough running right now. EGR valve and sensor was replaced, but the code 34 persists. Next week I'll only have work and no class since we're off for a week, so I'll try looking further into the issue then. I might wind up taking the upper intake off to inspect vacuum lines and fuel injectors.

I'm thinking if I have the intake off, it should be painted since it's not really pretty. I think painting it white with red lettering on the 5.0 plate will give a little more pop. With the intake out of the way, I can also try and wipe down the valve covers and other components.

I did find this older photo from TecNickal where all three of his wagons were present at one point:

Left to right is '87, '89, and '91. I the '91 was sold some time in 2015 to a friend of his, so it's still local.

My Cars:

#3679290 - 07/04/17 01:38 AM Re: The Boxy Box Wagon [Re: Bellwestern80]
Bellwestern80 Offline

Over the Hill

Popped off the upper intake. A fairly simple task on a EFI 302.

Got some hoses that need replacing. Both the heater core lines will be replaced since the original one shown is oozing and the other one currently has a temporary one in place. Both will get new moulded hoses.

The Motorcraft branded vacuum line on the intake is original. It broke in half when I tried removing it from the intake; completely petrified from heat and age. The other two lines are still soft and pliable with no cracking. Those lines run to the MAP and are dated stamped 2013.

Fuel injectors may be replaced as a preemptive action to ensure proper reliability.

I'm going to clean the intake and paint it white with red lettering. The way it looks right now is pretty sad.

My Cars:

#3679410 - 07/04/17 10:06 AM Re: The Boxy Box Wagon [Re: Bellwestern80]
a_d_a_m Online   drunk

3 Orange Whips
Metroplectic

You guys and your clean southern vehicles... laugh

'91 LTD Country Squire (POTM Mar. '19) | '03 Marauder (POTM Nov. '10, Jul. '20) | 2010 P7B (POTM Feb. '21)
formerly: '02 MGM, '04 MGM, '04 MGM v2.0, '04 MM, '07 P71 (POTM Feb. '18), '04 CVLX (POTM Jun. '19 and the best car ever), '03 SAP P71

#3680010 - 07/04/17 10:14 PM Re: The Boxy Box Wagon [Re: a_d_a_m]
Bellwestern80 Offline

Over the Hill

Originally Posted By a_d_a_m
You guys and your clean southern vehicles... laugh

Shame most are sun burnt at this age. wink

I try to avoid parking on dirt without moving the vehicle around and keeping the undercarriage clean. Easiest way to rust a car down here is parking on grass/dirt under a tree. Moisture stays under the car, and sometimes gets up in the interior and starts rotting things. My Sable would get mold on the leather surfaces if I parked it over dirt, but was fine on the driveway.

However, it sure is easy to avoid that compared to road salt and unpleasant winter weather.

My Cars:

#3683522 - 07/10/17 01:20 AM Re: The Boxy Box Wagon [Re: Bellwestern80]
Bellwestern80 Offline

Over the Hill

I'll be upfront and say the photo manages to hide everything bad out of what I thought would be a good idea:

So these intakes have a protective coating over them, since as far as I can tell it looks like aluminum. Anyway, the coating had failed in a few places and it was all white and chalky from corrosion. I tried scrapping and sanding, but that stuff either came off, or didn't. The stuff that didn't lifted some after paint started.

Essentially on one hand, it is better than the grimey thing it once was, but on the other hand it could have been much better.

My intention was to use a fairly conservative color, but I think white may have been a bit much. Anyway, still going to rock it since 95% of the time it'll be hidden by a hood.

I'll be ordering replacement fuel injectors later this week. Hopefully I'll have it running again next week. If the EGR keeps giving trouble, I may run with a block off plate for a bit until I can sort that all out. I have swapped my sensor for the original one just to see if that changes anything.

New heater hoses are going on tomorrow and I'll also begin attempting to cull some unnecessary vacuum lines, namely those running the Thermactor equipment that's been rendered inoperative for sometime.

My Cars:

#3684506 - 07/11/17 10:54 AM Re: The Boxy Box Wagon [Re: Bellwestern80]
Cheapthrillp71 Offline

Loc: Michigan
Nice woody lol. sounds so dirty. Brings back memories.

I had one for a summer years and years ago. $400 special. thing had like 3 pds of oil pressure at idle once warmed up. Thing lasted all summer like that. Sold it to a buddy and he drove it from Michigan to Tennessee w/o issue. Wonder what ever happened to it. Was a fun land yacht for sure.
2004 LJ Lq9 one tons
2014 jku Rubicon
2012 powerstroke king ranch crew cab

#3755258 - 10/07/17 08:08 PM Re: The Boxy Box Wagon [Re: Bellwestern80]
Bellwestern80 Offline

Over the Hill

Finally got around to doing some work that didn't involve fiddling with the engine or electronics. Some time ago I found a '90 LTD CV police car and snagged the rear control arms and sway bar set. Now, given what a PITA it was to get the control arms out with the exhaust in the way, I opted not to install them for now, but to go ahead and get the sway bars installed.

I flattened the lip a bit on the rear control arms so that there wouldn't be any clearance issues with getting the bar set. It dropped perfectly into place after doing that and bolted right up.

I also drained and re-filled the rear end. I was using conventional Castrol 80W-90, but I've been trying to flush it of any debris since it had gone through an axle bearing which put a lot of shavings back there. There were definitely shavings in the fluid that was drained, but nothing indicating catastrophic failure of a bearing, more so just residual shavings from before. I should have stuck a magnet on the inside of the cover, but didn't think about that until afterwords. I may still two strong ones on the outside of the cover to help draw particles towards them and away from the gears. I used Valvoline SynPower 75W-140 for the replacement fluid. I've run that viscosity in the '97, and it seems to work really well in the '87. The typical axle noise seems to be considerably reduced.

After taking care of the rear end, I did swap the hollow wagon front bar for the police solid front bar. The bar to frame bushings were trashed and the end links were installed upside down, rusted, and equally trashed. The metal caps that go over the bushings had deformed and had the impression of the bolt head pressed into them. The bushings themselves looked too small, one had split apart and was missing chunks, and the rest were wallered out and cracked. Essentially the front bar was just hanging there.

Replacement bushings were installed, but I will say I wound up with bushings that were really tall beyond the bracket. I cut these level to the old ones and they bolted up nice and snug, with no unusual movement or free play. I used Moog for bar to frame bushings and sway bar end links (polyurethane type end link bushings).

Taking it out for a spin, things were dramatically different! laugh It was so much flatter in sharp cornering and ride quality improved. Even more floating was eliminated and it tracks even better! I'm not big on overly harsh suspensions, but right now this is where it needs to be. Essentially the suspension is like this: Police Front & Rear sway bars, KYB Gas-A-Just Police shock absorbers, original front springs, cargo coil rear springs, original front & rear control arms. It's not a complete HD suspension package, but it sure does beat the standard underpinnings, and it definitely beats where it started at, with sagging rear springs and dead shocks.

On the way back to where it stays, it did get a needed bath to get all the dirt and dust off of it.

I also took the time to toss on some new wiper blades. I wound up with a good pair of 22" blades that had the large and small pin arm holes. 22" blades work just fine on these and clear a good bit more of the windshield. Just a consideration for anyone who may feel the 18" blades aren't cutting it enough.

My Cars:

#3762954 - 10/16/17 04:44 PM Re: The Boxy Box Wagon [Re: Bellwestern80]
Bellwestern80 Offline

Over the Hill

I've been kicking around a air pump bypass belt for a few weeks now. The wagon hasn't really had a problem with its air pump since I've had it, but there's three glaring issues. First, it's not hooked up to any air tubes since the cats are missing and the lines are absent; Second, Nick gutted it while he had it because it starting making noise, so it actually doesn't do anything useful; Third, it's functionally dead weight being spun by a belt.

So today, I yanked that thing out of there and got rid of some unnecessary tubing.

The air pipe coming off the back of the heads is still in place. I've got a small piece of the thermactor hose still in place with a plug in it.

The original vacuum setup had a three line check valve coming off the cruise unit. One line ran to the firewall, the other towards the air pump. The air pump's line also had a check valve. I removed the three line check valve and replaced it with the air pump's check valve since it operated in the same way the other did and I did not need a third line going anywhere.

I do need to re-tension the A/C belt. It's not squeaking, but the bolt that faces the radiator is missing. The rear bolt is in place and can be tightened to hold tension. Since the other bolt is missing, the tensioner is ever so much at an angle, which will wear the belt out much like the other one I took off. I'll grab one off a junkyard car, unless someone knows the type bolt I need for it. I will admit that tensioner wasn't the worst thing I've had to work with, but getting at it with the air pump removed made it a lot easier.

I'll also be replacing the engine-to-frame ground strap and the negative battery cable terminal soon. The engine-to-frame ground strap is laughably small. The one from an Aero RCU is beefier, and I may just use a spare one of those I have laying around. wink

My Cars:

#3866193 - 02/03/18 02:18 AM Re: The Boxy Box Wagon [Re: Bellwestern80]
Bellwestern80 Offline

Over the Hill

The wagon hasn't seen much action lately. It's been running with a dead miss since around the time I yanked the intake manifold. That whole mess turned out to be me chasing all the wrong problems.

Here's an idea of what's up...

...Cylinder 1

...Cylinder 2

I suspect there's a burnt valve on cylinder 1. Whatever fuel/air mixture that gets in is blown right back out as the exhaust has a heavy fuel smell. The spark plug is usually damp with fuel when pulled after running, but no signs of really having fired off anything.

However, I do have a source for some free E7 (HO 302) heads, intake, throttle body, injectors, and camshaft. Bar none, the heads, intake, and throttle body are being done this spring. I may go full HO swap, but I'll determine that once work commences. Until it can get rehabbed, it won't be driven much. I plan on just getting the dual exhaust fitted in the meantime as a supporting modification to the engine upgrades.

My Cars:

#3974930 - 06/09/18 12:27 AM Re: The Boxy Box Wagon [Re: Bellwestern80]
Bellwestern80 Offline

Over the Hill

Finally took the wagon out for some much needed attention. The last time it actually got to go anywhere was to the salvage yard a few months ago to get a replacement window for the '97.

Anyway, the exhaust system has needed serious attention. I removed the old Y-Pipe and muffler several months ago and I had fitted up the middle portion of a dual exhaust system off a 1990 Town Car. I also installed factory down pipes, however they had been gutted out before I got them, but they were nicer than the garbage I took off.

Anyway, that "configuration" left me with a tailpipe on one side not hooked to anything and just hanging free and a totally absent driver side tail pipe. None of that is satisfactory when an inappropriate bump could smash that loose pipe up and I had no real intention of wanting to go far with an exhaust system generally supported at the back by no more than mechanic's wire. It wasn't really going anywhere, but, I mean... spank nono

So today it rolled into a local exhaust shop. Same place that did up the couplers and hanger on the '97. I essentially my request was, "Can we un-[censored] this?" The guy that runs the place looks at it, says it'll run about $85. $85 included three new hangers, a welded coupler on the passenger side to join the muffler to the existing tailpipe, and a completely new custom bent tailpipe for the driver side. Job was done in less than 30 minutes.

The exit on the driver side pipe is a touch further out than the passenger side, but if I really feel like it's an issue, I'll take off roughly an inch with a saw, otherwise it's an awesome fabrication that looks like it could have been factory. Even on seven cylinders, it's obvious that the engine breaths better on dual exhaust.

After we got done at the exhaust shop, we cruised on the local freeway loop to a DIY carwash. Even in 90° weather with 55%+ humidity, the A/C was still icy and the car behaved well at 80 MPH. cool Even the TripMinder said we were doing pretty good at 19 MPG.

Probably put roughly 50 miles or so on it today after it got washed down. That's been the most in months. I really can't wait to fix the mechanical issues. The dead miss isn't obvious until you're in town and RPMs are down, but interstate-wise it's smooth even in overdrive.

My Cars:

#3991366 - 07/31/18 01:42 AM Re: The Boxy Box Wagon [Re: Bellwestern80]
Bellwestern80 Offline

Over the Hill

On Sunday I collected the necessary top end parts to make my repairs. I also needed to prep the upper intake manifold to be usable on a Panther 302, namely because the Mustang intakes face the wrong way, meaning the EGR spacer has throttle linkages facing the wrong way and the throttle body linkages on the bottom need to be swapped around.

Anyway, I do not envy anyone who has done the job of separating all the components. It is a [censored] and a half if the parts have never been separated. The gist of the matter to anyone who hasn't poked around much on the older cars goes like this: There are three major components that make up the upper intake. There's the main body with the runners, an EGR spacer, and a throttle body all sandwiched together. Ford used four studs coming off the main intake in which the EGR and throttle body slide onto, then nuts are tightened on the throttle body side to seat everything. Decent in practice until age and complications hit.

Complications are the fact the studs are steel and everything else is aluminum. Based on what I've seen, the studs may have been coated to reduce the likelihood of galvanic corrosion, but 28+ years of age means that won't last. Also, the EGR spacer has coolant routed through it on the side sandwiched with the throttle body. Typically the gasket starts to go and you get coolant in the intake, but it also seeps onto the bolts, making corrosion worse. That was the condition of the intake I was working on.

The throttle body wasn't too bad to get moving since it doesn't take up much space, but the EGR spacer is huge in relationship to that, and it fought me every minute spent getting it undone. I snapped two studs off trying to undo the entire stud, and bent up three of them.

I hope this wasn't part of Ford's "Better Ideas".

Anyway, the plan going forwards will be to use bolts instead. The studs used are threaded on both ends, so that makes it simple. I don't plan to continually take it apart, so it won't be bad. Also, I have no intention of using the coolant ports on the EGR spacer of mine (old LoPo intake has had it bypassed for years), so coolant seepage won't be an issue. I'm also going to lightly coat the bolts with anti-seize to try and reduce corrosion chances.

Tomorrow I plan to have it reassembled.

My Cars:

#3994424 - 10/16/18 11:05 PM Re: The Boxy Box Wagon [Re: Bellwestern80]
Bellwestern80 Offline

Over the Hill

I know traffic is kinda dead around here, but I'll drop an update because I feel like wasting a bit of time. Splitting into two posts because picture heavy.

Bored LoPo EGR spacers are neat. JeffBoudah whipped this one up, came out awesome.

HO upper intake being converted to Panther use. HO cars ran everything the wrong way, so all your stuff has to be flip flopped. Also note the use of long bolts instead of studs to sandwich the EGR spacer and throttle body. It'll likely be easier to disassemble again if the need arises (they're also slathered in anti-sieze).

Strip some stuff...

Strip more stuff...

Attain atmospheric compression...

...and enjoy your "Ah-Ha!" moment when you find you beat the seat off your cylinder 1 exhaust valve so you have no compression and the valve train looks normal up top.

My Cars:

#3994432 - 10/16/18 11:32 PM Re: The Boxy Box Wagon [Re: Bellwestern80]
Bellwestern80 Offline

Over the Hill

Tossed everything together pretty nicely.

Finally out and about again...

Now, I didn't make a mention of what I used for replacement parts in this thread since I've barely updated it. Obviously I yanked both cylinder heads despite only one being troublesome. I figured if I was going through the trouble of stripping the engine that much, I could bump up the power ever so slightly while I was there.

The engine got:
E7 cylinder heads
HO Throttle Body
HO upper intake
LoPo Bored Spacer (60mm)
Town Car Fan Shroud (1990 specific)
Town Car Intake Tube (1990 specific)
New hoses (All replaced except lower radiator hose now)

I'd put power ratings in the 180-190 HP range. Torque probably still around 280-290 FT/LBS. No power house by any means, but probably closer to how a 351 car feels. Definitely breaths better. Still running the LoPo cam (probably won't be changed anytime soon), so it's still mostly a low end grunt engine, but it does move easier when power is called for.

I'm still working on decluttering the engine bay. The use of the '90 TC stuff eliminates a lot of bulk off the side of the engine. I've also modded a newer style relay/vacuum reservoir to hold the old style relay housings so that the relays aren't awkwardly bolted to the fender. I do need to recheck the spark plugs and TPS setting. I got a slight hesitation on occasion on slight throttle tip in and a stutter at idle. I suspect there might be some crud on the spark plugs again. They got really nasty on the initial firing despite cleaning the cylinders as good as possible. Wires were redone during re-installation of parts. Cap and rotor will also be checked on.

TPS comes up solely because of how out of whack it was once the engine was together. The throttle plate stop screw had been messed with causing "closed throttle" to read at 1.6v or so. I dialed it down so it read .99v, but that needs to be rechecked after having been heat soaked a few times to ensure I don't have and odd variances starting.

Anyway, that's been the recent happenings of this old thing.

My Cars:

#3994446 - 10/17/18 04:25 PM Re: The Boxy Box Wagon [Re: Bellwestern80]
TheRealQuaid Offline

Loc: New England
Hows the power compared to the Marq?

I wanted to do a 5.0HO swap to my 90 TC but being young, having no tools and the car getting totaled squashed that idea.

#3994474 - 10/18/18 01:45 AM Re: The Boxy Box Wagon [Re: TheRealQuaid]
Bellwestern80 Offline

Over the Hill

Originally Posted By TheRealQuaid
Hows the power compared to the Marq?

I wanted to do a 5.0HO swap to my 90 TC but being young, having no tools and the car getting totaled squashed that idea.

If on a plain numbers to numbers comparison, lacking.

But... there's more depth than that. A 302 LoPo is not a fair comparison against a nPI 4.6 on paper, but both have their merits.

The 302 makes comparable torque to the 4.6, but makes it a whole lot lower. With the warm over my engine got and being paired to the 3.27 rear gear, I'd say it moves off the line as easily as my '97 does, but definitely doesn't rev up as much to get going. Now in the power department, the 302 loses no matter how you cut it. While the 4.6 has a noticeable uptick in increasing power above 2000 RPM and continues pulling steadily, the 302 loses steam just beyond 3000 RPM and shifts closer to 4000 RPM. Dual exhaust and the better flowing intake and heads helped remedy the "high" RPM issue, however.

Originally with the poorer flowing E6 heads, more restrictive upper intake and throttle body, and a high restriction single exhaust (Boxes have an awful Y-pipe compared to Aeros/Whales), once peak power was attained and you were at WOT, the engine clearly got louder, but you could feel acceleration actually dropping off before proceeding to clunk into the next gear and start accelerating again. It was choked really bad.

As far as HO conversion, IMO it's a mixed bag. The HO cars were typically lighter Fox chassis models, so their power band was more suited for a car their weight. Supposedly power really comes on after 2000 RPM and low end torque is reduced a bit, which isn't ideal in heavy cars. The Explorer cam has been a more ideal option along with the use of the GT40P heads since the Explorer intake and heads flow better than the HO stuff. Also the Explorer cam gets power and torque off the top end and puts it in the low to mid-range making it more ideal for use in our cars.

For now, I'm content with things for now, but if I need to change anything, most of the serious supporting mods are in place. An HO swap on this car is only a few components away: Camshaft, Injectors, and Computer.

My Cars:

#4000344 - 01/08/19 06:02 PM Re: The Boxy Box Wagon [Re: Bellwestern80]
Bellwestern80 Offline

Over the Hill

Originally Posted By Myself
On top of that, she doesn't know I own it. whistle I expect that ensuing [censored] to catch up with me eventually, but until then, I've got my fingers crossed.

I can weave a magical story apparently. As far as everyone is concerned, this is a "new purchase", or more so a "free car kindly given to me". Not exactly how I wanted to base it's appearance, but it worked.

It only took two years, but now the wagon can finally live in the driveway versus being kept at odd locations. After taking that quick picture, it got properly washed down along with a full interior cleaning. The windows were rather grimy, and the floors littered with leaves and such.

It'll get a proper shakedown run this week since I'll drive it to and from work for a while and finally give the '97 some rest. The plan is to take care of rebuilding some of the front suspension on the '97. New control arms with bushings and ball joints are primary on the list, along with sway bar links. I may even start working on the RAS swap I'd been planning, but that one would take a bit more time. Since I doubt I'd have the '97 done in one day, it'll be nice knowing I finally have a backup car at the ready that I can use while I do the work. smile

I finally ran into a fault with that aftermarket headlight harness, and that the relays are junk. Cheapy-cheap relays aren't very nice when you find out your headlights don't turn on. High beams worked only out the outer position lamps. Swapped in some good five-pin Bosch relays and I had light again.

Having it properly at home means I can also start on side projects, like the tailgate and swapping the front bumper to the non-rubstrip model, but those aren't important right now.

My Cars:

#4000428 - 01/09/19 10:12 AM Re: The Boxy Box Wagon [Re: Bellwestern80]
CrownBen Offline
Over the Hill

Nice to see you can finally have it home! I've been in similar situations and weaved similar stories myself in former times. wink

I hadn't noticed that one picture before- is that a freight train rolling through town? That's kinda wild.

One other thing about an HO swap- the LoPo block has shorter tappet bores and can't accommodate roller tappets. At least that's what I read in the back of an FRPP catalog. I do remember seeing a kit made by one of the cam companies so you could use rollers, but it was so much you might as well get a proper HO block.

#4000436 - 01/09/19 10:43 AM Re: The Boxy Box Wagon [Re: CrownBen]
Bellwestern80 Offline

Over the Hill

I hadn't noticed that one picture before- is that a freight train rolling through town? That's kinda wild.

That's one of Norfolk Southern's main lines that run out from Augusta into South Carolina. Not too common to see street running lines anymore, but here it's an every day occurrence. Always fun sharing the road with trains when you're only passing each other with a few feet between each other. smile

One other thing about an HO swap- the LoPo block has shorter tappet bores and can't accommodate roller tappets. At least that's what I read in the back of an FRPP catalog. I do remember seeing a kit made by one of the cam companies so you could use rollers, but it was so much you might as well get a proper HO block.

All '86+ (rumored late '85 as well) sedan blocks are roller lifter type. Trucks were the weird ones that didn't get rid of flat tappet engines until '94. In the current configuration, it's pretty brisk off the line. You really don't have to romp it to make it move out with the torque being on the low end of the RPM band. The 3.27 gears help too, as it makes the '97 seem sluggish on take off.

My Cars:

#4008044 - 03/21/19 08:05 PM Re: The Boxy Box Wagon [Re: Bellwestern80]
Bellwestern80 Offline

Over the Hill

Decided to tackle the relay job today.

FWIW, the later style vacuum/relay combo pictured here does not really work on a modified early fender liner. The relay holder is too "deep" since the area is flat. No idea if the '90/'91s are any better, but the early side mount vacuum/relay combo is preferred.

Fuel pump relay wiring was the worst as far as insulation recession went. The yellow lead could be yanked straight out of the block.

Factory ground splice, IIRC. Whatever fabric based taped that was used crumbled off when I removed the wires from the harness. Re-wrapped with electrical tape.

All wiring exposed with relays hanging.

Updated relay holder installed with EEC diode. This was going to be a solder and heatshrink job, but the ancient (and cheap) iron called it quits after I did one lead. Since I had already cut the EEC relay 100% out, I was committed, so butt splices with heatshrink were used instead.

Stuff "tidied" away. The holder doesn't sit just right since it's a new style holder on an old style vacuum box. I'll see if I can find a side mount holder next time I'm at the yard so it'll sit nicely. At least it's latched into place.

I had to extend two leads out, one for the EEC connector from a leg on the fuel pump relay, and another for the A/C Diode lead from a leg on the A/C cut-out relay. Beyond that, I was able to shorten up most of the wires by about a foot and adjust the looming to fit.

Here's a note card of all the pinout/wire colors I used.

FWIW, the EEC relay wiring did not 100% match my service manual. The 12v+ Constant BK/O wire was just Black and the Ground BK/LG either originally was green and faded, or it was using black with light blue striping. All the other wires matched respectively.

My Cars:

#4008058 - 03/21/19 10:45 PM Re: The Boxy Box Wagon [Re: Bellwestern80]
juzza Offline
Climber

Loc: Broken Arrow, OK
Ugh...'80s Ford wiring. I remember dealing with those issues on my '87 F150. The insulation just crumbled off or recessed badly from the connectors. And yes, I liked those "factory crimps" on the harnesses. It took me a while to realize those were factory, and not some moron splicing willy nilly.
'07 Charger Work car
'97 P71 SOLD

#4024040 - 07/23/19 06:34 PM Re: The Boxy Box Wagon [Re: Bellwestern80]
Bellwestern80 Offline

Over the Hill

Still running the LoPo cam (probably won't be changed anytime soon)...

I lied. That's changing.

Tripped across an '87 Mark VII LSC at the junkyard and harvested the PCM. Of the remaining three items to HO, that's one! A kind member on GMN offered up a HO cam, that's two! I've just got to grab a set of 19 LBS injectors, and that'll make three!

Bonus item acquired was a set of Crane 1.7 roller rockers. Another good extra I need to get is the AOD's shift governor. HO cars had a different one so they'd shift at a higher RPM. If I really want to rip on it before that's changed, I'll have to shift it manually.

Anyway, that'll be coming up in the next few months. I've still got to help a friend get an engine swap done in a '89 Colony Park and the '64 Comet I'm half in on is getting its 170 swapped for a 200, so lots going on, and not a whole lotta time. All in good fun though. grin

My Cars:

#4050590 - 03/06/20 11:05 PM Re: The Boxy Box Wagon [Re: Bellwestern80]
Bellwestern80 Offline

Over the Hill

Had coolant start slowly disappearing. Could smell it, never could see it. Found it starting to weep around a coolant port on the timing cover to block. If the timing cover is coming off, well, no need to do it twice...

...it's time to do the thing that was popular in 2005. More tomorrow. It might run, or I might kill it.

My Cars:

#4050626 - 03/07/20 07:22 AM Re: The Boxy Box Wagon [Re: Bellwestern80]
Old_Guy_Stu Offline

Over the Hill

You need better valve springs and a real throttle body for an HO upgrade, too, right? Or did you already do them?

1988 CVLX Formal Roof (Love Boat) POTM July 2019, Aug 2020, & Oct 2021, 58K
E-code lights w/ relays, LEDs w/ switchbacks, 15x8 Ansen slots w/ 255/60 BFG's, Kenwood stereo, various hacks.
This, of course, was merely the semi-delirious notion of a fever-patient, but I remember that it struck me at the time as being eminently practical and feasible.

#4050654 - 03/07/20 10:18 AM Re: The Boxy Box Wagon [Re: Old_Guy_Stu]
Bellwestern80 Offline

Over the Hill

Originally Posted By Old_Guy_Stu
You need better valve springs and a real throttle body for an HO upgrade, too, right? Or did you already do them?

E7 heads, HO Upper, bored spacer, and HO TB were fitted during my head job when one of the E6s decided having an exhaust valve was irrelevant. I’ve been halfway there for a minute, I just didn’t have the camshaft, PCM, or injectors at that time.

That said, the ‘86 HO Mustang did use the same E6 heads as our cars, so if one were inclined, they could do the upgrade with the intake, cam, and things without the heads, but IIRC the E7s netted 25 extra HP. ‘86 was 200 HP and ‘87 was 225 HP.

My Cars:

#4050666 - 03/07/20 10:38 AM Re: The Boxy Box Wagon [Re: Bellwestern80]
Old_Guy_Stu Offline

Over the Hill

So when you're done you'll have an extra 75 horsies. Sounds like a worthy project. Expect stupid questions from me.

E-code lights w/ relays, LEDs w/ switchbacks, 15x8 Ansen slots w/ 255/60 BFG's, Kenwood stereo, various hacks.
This, of course, was merely the semi-delirious notion of a fever-patient, but I remember that it struck me at the time as being eminently practical and feasible.

#4050880 - 03/08/20 10:32 AM Re: The Boxy Box Wagon [Re: Old_Guy_Stu]
Bellwestern80 Offline

Over the Hill

So when you're done you'll have an extra 75 horsies. Sounds like a worthy project. Expect stupid questions from me.

No worries. I planned on having this done yesterday, but that didn't work out. The cam is in, timing cover mounted, and the lower intake is back on. Tomorrow I'll have another free day, so I'll try to button it up entirely and find out if the Mark VII PCM I got from the junkyard is still any good.

My Cars:

#4051244 - 03/10/20 01:29 AM Re: The Boxy Box Wagon [Re: Bellwestern80]
Bellwestern80 Offline

Over the Hill

I am not a fast worker. I did however get everything setup and was able to test fire the car. I started with the PCM just on top of the cruise servo since I wasn't sure if it was going to work properly or not, and figured if it was kaput from the onset, I wasn't going to deal with it being buried down on the firewall.

So the cool thing is it started up after futzing with the timing. I had it set around 10* ATDC after the initial distributor stab. I'll want to re-stab it since I've got it turned really hard towards the water neck, and I prefer it back a few notches.

The bad thing is it's tapping:

I'd like to suspect it's just a rocker arm not set right. Where the noise is the strongest is where I set a shim in place, and I suspect it's not right. I'm hoping it's not a lifter gone sour, since I'd really rather not have to yank the lower intake back off, after having just put it back on. I saved my old stamped rockers in case for some reason I have to abandon my roller ones.

I'll play with it next week, but for now, at least it's generally back together.

My Cars:

#4051256 - 03/10/20 06:45 AM Re: The Boxy Box Wagon [Re: Bellwestern80]
Old_Guy_Stu Offline

Over the Hill

Well, that sucks. Definitely valvetrain noise.

Did you have to re-wire any injectors to make up for the HO firing order, or does the new ECM take care of that?

#4051290 - 03/10/20 09:09 AM Re: The Boxy Box Wagon [Re: Old_Guy_Stu]
BigMerc96 Offline

I know nothing
Posting Addict

Did you have to re-wire any injectors to make up for the HO firing order, or does the new ECM take care of that?
AFAIK, the reason you swap to a HO ECM is because it already "knows" the new firing order. If this were a carb'd engine, you'd just swap plug wires accordingly. I suppose you probably could just switch the injector output wires on the ECM and the plug wires on the dizzy and in theory it should run, but I highly doubt the LoPo ECM would be happy with the massive increase in airflow and would probably go apeshit unless you chipped/reprogrammed it. That's certainly doable, there are still guys out there tuning EEC-IV stuff, but for a simple HO swap its easier to just get a HO computer at least now while you can still find them. As Bellwestern80 has shown, the old EEC-IV stuff is starting to suffer from failing caps on the main boards which is making them harder to find in working order on top of just the age of them.

#4051542 - 03/10/20 11:29 PM Re: The Boxy Box Wagon [Re: BigMerc96]
Bellwestern80 Offline

Over the Hill

Originally Posted By BigMerc96

AFAIK, the reason you swap to a HO ECM is because it already "knows" the new firing order. If this were a carb'd engine, you'd just swap plug wires accordingly. I suppose you probably could just switch the injector output wires on the ECM and the plug wires on the dizzy and in theory it should run, but I highly doubt the LoPo ECM would be happy with the massive increase in airflow and would probably go apeshit unless you chipped/reprogrammed it. That's certainly doable, there are still guys out there tuning EEC-IV stuff, but for a simple HO swap its easier to just get a HO computer at least now while you can still find them. As Bellwestern80 has shown, the old EEC-IV stuff is starting to suffer from failing caps on the main boards which is making them harder to find in working order on top of just the age of them.

Yup, no need to re-wire anything. As per the FAQ...
Originally Posted By HO Conversion FAQ

Common misconceptions:
1. Wiring. There are NO changes to the wiring for the HO conversion.
2. Wiring . There are NO changes to the wiring!

BigMerc essentially nailed it with the major factor being the HO PCM handles the injector firing order (along with being tuned properly to work with the different cam and change in airflow for the speed density system). Trying to make a LoPo PC run the show via rewiring would probably result in a very poorly running car.

I am definitely concerned for the remaining service life of any PCM of the EEC-IV era that hasn't been inspected. Early EEC-V stuff may even start looking bad in the next 5 to 7 years at the current rate. I've re-capped my LoPo board, the HO board, and even the one for the '97. Since I don't have the means to apply the conformal coating to the board, I use liquid electrical tape, so that at least the circuitry is somewhat protected again. The last EEC-IV board I had that was failing out had a completely ruined capacitor, and the car would run sometimes, and if it did run, it was poor, running very rich with no power. In that case, the fuel pump kept priming continuously, and was the first sign was something up after the relay to it was replaced. Unfortunately, re-capping had no effected and that board was toast.

That said, it's not a quality issue for the capacitors starting to go now, but just an age thing. From most of my reading, stated lifespan of most capacitors is about 20-30 years. Boxes are well into that, along with even the newest Aeros. I doubt we're about to see all of these cars just up and quit, but I think we might start seeing some actual (not BS ones from "mechanics" who blame '80s ECUs for everything) ECU failures from capacitors failing. Re-capping the boards aren't hard, just takes a little time.

My Cars:

#4051738 - 03/12/20 07:32 AM Re: The Boxy Box Wagon [Re: Bellwestern80]
Old_Guy_Stu Offline

Over the Hill

I was wondering about capacitor failure. That's a big topic on one of the vintage hi-fi forums I'm on. But nobody seems to know if they degrade simply with time, or with power cycles. My 42-year-old Pioneer tape deck is still going strong on its original caps, but it was stored for many years (like my Vic was). The deck it replaced in 2010 was in daily use and ate its power-supply caps.

So if you have two identical caps, both 30 years old, one in use and one in storage, will they both fail at 30 years? Or does the one in use go first? Or is it just a crapshoot?

#4051750 - 03/12/20 09:02 AM Re: The Boxy Box Wagon [Re: Bellwestern80]
Bellwestern80 Offline

Over the Hill

I’d say age and power cycles coupled with environmental factors will affect longevity.

My Cars:

#4051762 - 03/12/20 09:50 AM Re: The Boxy Box Wagon [Re: Bellwestern80]
BigMerc96 Offline

I know nothing
Posting Addict

I’d say age and power cycles coupled with environmental factors will affect longevity.
Pretty much, at least for electrolytic caps. There is also the load its under, caps that deal with an oscillating signal, especially high frequency/high voltage (like in a switch mode power supply), are going to fail more quickly, they heat up and that kills them. Now if you go real old, where you're dealing with caps that have paper in them, the paper becomes acidic and causes resistance across the cap which is not supposed to be there pretty much regardless of how the cap was used/stored. Of course the initial quality of the caps is also a factor, a cheap product is going to have lower quality caps that will fail early. That almost certainly isn't the case of a ECU, they were made by Motorola and expense would not have been spared, they would have used the best components available to them at the time. That is proven by the fact that they are still functioning 30+ years later, even if there certainly are some that are starting to fail.

#4051908 - 03/12/20 11:44 PM Re: The Boxy Box Wagon [Re: Bellwestern80]
Bellwestern80 Offline

Over the Hill

After getting some pointers on GMN and re-reading the instructions with the rockers (missed the very important supplemental second page), I got the pre-load fixed on the rockers. Cylinder 6's exhaust rocker only had a quarter of a turn before being at the correct torque. Crane and everyone else states on the use of pedestal rockers like ours, proper pre-load is found by starting at zero lash and then having the rocker bolt hit the correct torque within 1/2 to 1 turn. A few of mine needed a very thin shim, otherwise most went on without any trouble.

Fired it up, and no more clackity-clack! It is idling a bit high, around 850 in park and 650 in drive. Probably need to adjust base idle and adjust the TPS to compensate. I also need to do a slight TV cable adjustment, as it's going into O/D around 45 vs 50. Not a terribly big deal, just the shifts are little softer. I did check to make sure it wasn't engaging O/D extremely early, and found the lowest it would go into O/D was about 43 MPH with barely any throttle input. Any lower than that, I might be more concerned to immediately make an adjustment.

Needless to say, it runs a hell of a lot smoother than the LoPo with a lot of HO upper equipment. Wonder if the fuel mileage might get a little bit better too. Ever since it got the heads and intake, it was a real dog on mileage, and would barely break 17 MPG on the highway as where with the full LoPo dress, it would do 21 MPG. It certainly has nicer pickup in general driving.

As far as really getting it, there's not much to report for off the line punches. It launches like a nPI Aero with 2.73s, however once you get it up above 1800 RPM, then the cam starts doing its thing and it pulls right up to about 4800 RPM. I do need to get the HO shift governor since the AOD wants to kneecap the shifts at the LoPo standard 4K. When doing the AOD-shuffle, you can get it to really shine. It pulled easily up to 80, but I decided going further than that probably wasn't worth the jail time. smile

I'm going to cruise it the next few days and see if I have any problems during the initial shake down.

My Cars:

#4052620 - 03/17/20 12:25 AM Re: The Boxy Box Wagon [Re: Bellwestern80]
Bellwestern80 Offline

Over the Hill

The short summary is all of my driveability issues I've had for months all up and disappeared. It's great.

Drove the car up to Columbia to see how it did on the interstate, and it did very well. Plenty of passing power when requested, otherwise it cruised fine. Definitely handled hills better and never really lost any speed on climbs. The LoPo stick made it wheezy on steeper or longer grades and it didn't like having to pick up past 75, but now that's old news.

The best way I can describe it is not power that tosses you into your seat, but just general pulling power that's there when you ask, much like a 4.6 car but with more torque. It reminds me much of the '97 of just being able to call for speed and steadily moving out. It's just having to wait for the AOD to respond is the only difference. laugh

I did find some information regarding idle speeds, and acceptable idle speeds for the Mark VII are higher than the Marquis listing. Ford had acceptable idle speed in drive between 550-700 RPM on the Mark VII. Once the engine is warmed up and you draw up to a stoplight, it'll idle at right under 700, and then slowly creep down to about 600-550, but doesn't drop off beyond that.

Regarding my old driveability issues, I had a few "cold" problems. The first issue was on a cold start, the initial giving it any throttle it would usually bog, then come back to life. Everything was adjusted right, it just did that. Second was hunting idle when cold. It would try idling up to 800 from 600 in drive and keep doing that, so I'd have to pop it in neutral at red lights since it was a very annoying hitching sensation. Third was once it was warm and you stopped for a light, it would idle at about 600, then drop under 500 and it would stumble and felt like it was misfiring. The dash would flicker with the engine speed jumping around. It would immediately stop the moment it received any gas. I dealt with that for months. It's quite nice not dealing with the wacky quirks. I suspect the LoPo PCM didn't jive all that well with the HO upper equipment and E7 heads. Maybe just a bit too much air. I know the HO upper works fine, and I think someone ran E7s with a LoPo upper, but I don't know if anyone ran my setup on a LoPo.

My Cars:

#4052644 - 03/17/20 07:34 AM Re: The Boxy Box Wagon [Re: Bellwestern80]
Old_Guy_Stu Offline

Over the Hill

So... do it all or don't do anything. Gotcha.

Were there any power improvements with the half-HO setup to make up for the poor driveability ?

#4052980 - 03/18/20 05:58 PM Re: The Boxy Box Wagon [Re: Old_Guy_Stu]
Bellwestern80 Offline

Over the Hill

So... do it all or don't do anything. Gotcha.

Were there any power improvements with the half-HO setup to make up for the poor driveability ?

Better throttle response.

So many folks say tossing the HO upper intake and TB usually help out on the LoPo for letting it breath a bit better.

If I had to guess, the extra air flow through the intake and heads may have mildly upset the speed density system.

My Cars:

#4053066 - 03/19/20 08:00 AM Re: The Boxy Box Wagon [Re: Bellwestern80]
Old_Guy_Stu Offline

Over the Hill

So you can use the HO upper with the lo-po lower? Reason I ask, I gotta do valve cover gaskets soon. And if the upper has to come off to do that, might as well upgrade. Mustang upper & throttle body bolt on?

EDIT: Looks like a Mustang throttle body has the wrong throttle lever (because it's mounted on the passenger side), and it's pressed on. How do you get around that?

Told ya, dumbass questions.

Edited by Old_Guy_Stu (03/19/20 08:15 AM)

#4053456 - 03/20/20 11:16 PM Re: The Boxy Box Wagon [Re: Old_Guy_Stu]
Bellwestern80 Offline

Over the Hill

So you can use the HO upper with the lo-po lower? Reason I ask, I gotta do valve cover gaskets soon. And if the upper has to come off to do that, might as well upgrade. Mustang upper & throttle body bolt on?

EDIT: Looks like a Mustang throttle body has the wrong throttle lever (because it's mounted on the passenger side), and it's pressed on. How do you get around that?

Told ya, dumbass questions.

Yes. HO upper bolts right on. I've still got my original lower in this whole mix.

That said, to use the intake and throttle body, both need some work, since everything's backwards. As far as flipping stuff on the intake, you'll need your LoPo vacuum tree, and then you just need to 180* everything. The vacuum tree and vacuum port barb that runs to the PCV just screw into the intake. Just unscrew them and flip sides.

'88+ intakes (HO and regular) seem to have received an extra vacuum assist for the PCV system through a port that threads in to the far end of the runners. The end opposite of it has a threaded plug. Those'll need to be reversed as well. My '87 did not have that extra port, but I thought it novel when I encountered it. I guess the early SEFI intake did not provide enough feed for the PCV.

As far as the throttle lever goes, you'll need to take yours off the LoPo one. The HO one you can discard after you remove it. To get them off, just take a grinder to that little tab on the bottom. It might take a little work, but the arm and spring will come off the shaft. Just swap it over to the HO throttle body. It might take a little work getting the spring on correctly. After that, just either weld, JB Weld, or drill-n'-tap + bolt the arm to the shaft.

Just know you must re-use the Panther EGR spacer since it has the bracket studs for the throttle linkage. It will need to be bored out to make it work. I contacted JeffBoudah and he bored mine out on a CNC machine. The biggest thing to be aware of is that the EGR spacer does have coolant run through it. Mine is and had been bypassed, but some people have reported the coolant side doesn't seal up well after being bored, resulting in a leak. Personally I wouldn't try running coolant through it, and I went as far as even eliminating that whole coolant pipe that runs under the upper intake and just ran a length of 3/4" heater hose from the heater core to the water pump. It's been fine like that.

Oh, and the studs that hold that EGR and TB sandwich together are disgusting to deal with 30 years later. If the coolant has ever leaked onto them, have fun. Steel studs, through aluminum. You know exactly what's happening there. Now I planned ahead, and purchased a spare factory Panther EGR spacer from someone on GMN and had it bored so I didn't have to do this twice, just the one time on the Mustang intake.

Only one stud actually came out clean on that Mustang intake. The donor car had started leaking around the gasket, soaking the studs. The other three are clearly bent/broken from almost an hour spent beating, prying, and using other mechanical methods to separate the assembly. Very pleasant and my intake has some tool marks at the top where a screwdriver was hammered on to get the EGR spacer to start separating some.

I personally had no desire to install new studs, so instead I just used like 2-1/2" (don't quote me there, I bought three sizes) bolts and washers for reassembly and torqued them to 20 ft/lbs. They did get coated in anti-seize so hopefully they don't corrode the way the uncoated stuff does. It's been working for two years, so I'll say it's not a bad idea.

I know that's a nice wall of text, but the work is pretty straight forwards, but if you take care of whatever prep work you can, you'll save time. I'd say if you can get a cheap HO upper with the TB, I'd toss it on.

Also, here's a base line run 0-60. Not super exciting from a standing start, especially if you don't kinda load it up a little before launching.

My Cars:

#4053516 - 03/21/20 06:06 AM Re: The Boxy Box Wagon [Re: Bellwestern80]
Old_Guy_Stu Offline

Over the Hill

Thanks for taking the trouble to answer that. Now I'll contemplate whether or not to do it.

#4072322 - 07/30/20 01:11 AM Re: The Boxy Box Wagon [Re: Bellwestern80]
Bellwestern80 Offline

Over the Hill

If you look past the dent I've not dealt with for two years, you'll see a "new" license plate. laugh

Georgia upped the year requirement to run an historical tag specific to year of manufacture to 1989. Now I get to our 1983-1989 plate since this one has a 1987 registration sticker. All I have to do is keep an affidavit from our local tag office in the car with the tag I was originally issued.

My Cars:

#4082250 - 10/27/20 10:16 PM Re: The Boxy Box Wagon [Re: Bellwestern80]
Bellwestern80 Offline

Over the Hill

Time for a little periodic update...

I think it goes without saying that Dorman makes some hit and miss products. I will say that my faith in them making anything out of plastic that's supposed to do an important job is quite weak.

About five months ago I had a quick disconnect on the return side of the transmission oil cooler at the transmission blow out. Replaced it with a Dorman unit. The first sign of things to come was the first one I got broke when I went to insert the line in. The plastic retained just cracked and fell out. Got a second one, and it clipped in just fine. No leaks, and I figured that was the end of the story...

"Actually, no, [censored] you," it told me.

Luckily it decided to do that while I was pulling into work, so I only traveled roughly 200 feet. It blew out when I got on the accelerator while I had a clear gap to make a left turn. It promptly started puking onto the catalytic converter resulting in a awful smelling smoke screen. On top of that, there's also a very nice trail of oil that has since remained on the road and parking lot that leads right to the spot I usually park in. smile

Anyway, to avoid that again, I did a less than elegant repair.

The quick disconnect fitting was replaced with a 1/4-18 NPT barb fitting, and a short piece of transmission oil cooler hose was used to couple that to the hard line. I also used two fuel injection style hose clamps to avoid chewing up the hose with a traditional worm gear hose clamp. So far, it's held up under hard acceleration, and also being a useful tool in moving to a new place!

The '97 sat this one out this time around, and it's still waiting to be moved over to the new place, so I've been dailying the '87 for a few weeks. Luckily, neither car should have to deal with the elements 24/7 any time soon.

It's quite nice having a garage to work in again so I don't have to drive all the way to my mom's.

Also, Panther game stays strong here. It'll be pretty nice when all three generations are present.

My Cars:

#4085156 - 11/21/20 12:03 AM Re: The Boxy Box Wagon [Re: Bellwestern80]
CrystalPistol Offline
Banned
Over the Hill

Loc: Shenandoah Valley
Enjoyed the thread. I grew up with at least one wagon in the driveway always.

First one was a '56 Chevrolet, 265, Powerglide, single so I figure Dad bought the 2bbl version. It was new. Last one was a '68 Plymouth Satelite Sport Wagon, 383, 4bbl, A-727, duals, 11x3" front drums like on Fury police cars then , HD suspension, trailer tow pack ... surprised a few Road Runners, a GTO or two, etc.

Dad passed in '69, Mom remarried in '73, Stepbrother totaled "The Wagon" soon after.

Edited by CrystalPistol (11/21/20 12:06 AM)

________________________________________ ____________________
Problems huh? Then Read THE Book. Signed: Natural Borne Neanderthal .

#4086934 - 12/06/20 09:10 PM Re: The Boxy Box Wagon [Re: CrystalPistol]
Bellwestern80 Offline

Over the Hill

Originally Posted By CrystalPistol
Enjoyed the thread. I grew up with at least one wagon in the driveway always.

First one was a '56 Chevrolet, 265, Powerglide, single so I figure Dad bought the 2bbl version. It was new. Last one was a '68 Plymouth Satelite Sport Wagon, 383, 4bbl, A-727, duals, 11x3" front drums like on Fury police cars then , HD suspension, trailer tow pack ... surprised a few Road Runners, a GTO or two, etc.

Dad passed in '69, Mom remarried in '73, Stepbrother totaled "The Wagon" soon after.

Thanks. I've always enjoyed trying to telling a story with photos.

I dunno why I decided to go after wagons, but maybe its just the obscurity of the traditional wagon these days that just makes it fun to daily this one from time to time. I grew up riding in sedans and minivans. The first cars I was around that my parents had, was Dad had a '89 Dodge Caravan and Mom had a '93 Mercury Sable (for some reason, that invoked the desire to find one years ago, and still kinda want one). Eventually Dad convinced Mom into an new '01 Honda Odyssey and he took her Sable since they traded the Caravan in on it.

The only wagon I'm aware of them ever owning was a brown late '80s Escort wagon that was sold before my father was stationed in Germany for a bit. That car was before I was born, so I've only seen a handful of pictures of it.

Speaking of wagons...

The '87 is back in Columbia, at least for a little while. Nick came down and picked it up this afternoon so it can go to the transmission shop that rebuilt the original AOD in 2014. We suspect the sun gear failed last month as I was backing into my driveway, which left me with no reverse, 2nd, or 4th gear. He has pretty good connections with the shop he uses, so said he'd help me with it. I was planning on driving it up since it will shift between 1st and 3rd, and theoretically could maintain probably 60 MPH without winding the motor up too much, but he was in town getting a K-Code (3.55 locking) axle out of a '88 Country Squire at the local junkyard, and offered to tow the '87 back up.

While it's being repaired, I did send it along with a new, higher stall torque converter. Factory AOD units typically stall around 1600 RPM, which is fine on a LoPo, but the HO doesn't start doing real business until at least 2300 RPM, so it makes for a very un-spirited take off. The replacement is ranged between 2200-2500 RPM, which should be ideal in this application. I'm also going to see if they can refit the shift governor with either a medium speed or high speed unit. Medium speed ones were on trucks and shifted them around 4500ish RPM, and the high speed was closer to 4900 RPM. The low speed unit on my car didn't even meet the rated 4100 RPM limit and would shift at 3900 RPM.

If all goes well, it'll be a fair bit quicker from a standing start and won't shift in the middle of the power band.

My Cars:

#4091948 - 01/15/21 08:44 PM Re: The Boxy Box Wagon [Re: Bellwestern80]
Bellwestern80 Offline

Over the Hill

The '87 finally has all the gears again! The shop that Nick uses did good work getting it back into fighting shape. It's gonna take some getting used to the 2500 RPM stall converter, however.

I didn't really get to rip on it yet simply because 90% of the drive was in damp/rainy weather, and I'm not about to figure out how the car is gonna behave without testing it on a dry surface first.

I did stop by Nick's:

He had his '89 recently at that shop too. We apparently didn't land the rear main seal correctly when we swapped the 302 from an Explorer into his car, and it started leaking after a bit. I'm glad it's finally fixed since I think that wagon has been sitting since 2017/2018 after the LoPo was determined to be junk after it started consuming a quart of oil every 200-300 miles.

He did leave me a tan cargo carpet mat in the back, so I picked that up while I was there. Helps with the noise a bit. smile

Finally home:

Only after I was about 15 miles from home did the weather look any nicer. Hopefully in the next few days I'll have some actual information on how this converter plays with the car.

My Cars:

#4095648 - 02/09/21 09:03 PM Re: The Boxy Box Wagon [Re: Bellwestern80]
TheNarrator Offline

Loc: SW Florida
That Wagon looks clean (besides the part when is got backed into)
1 shot Canadian Club whisky (since he's not allowed to enter Canada anymore)
1 shot Captain Morgan spiced rum (since he was going to be the captain of his own ship)
a splash of 151 (to take the wrinkles out of your pants)
RC Cola to taste (served on the rocks, just like a shipwrecked boat)
boxes are about as aerodynamic as a cathedral.

#4114284 - 07/05/21 09:28 PM Re: The Boxy Box Wagon [Re: Bellwestern80]
Bellwestern80 Offline

Over the Hill

Finally got around to beating the tailgate into submission, and made a major win for Box wagons, which was finding a useable dew wipe with a little modification.

Also repaired the window guides. I borrowed the ones from the damaged tailgate as the replacement gate's were worse. Essentially the side that faces the glass has a piece of rubber, and the whole thing is covered in felt. Well, usually the felt falls off, then the rubber peels away, and its then metal and glass rubbing, which also allows for a lot of floppy glass.

We used a cut up microfiber towel and headliner adhesive to mount the "new" guide cloth.

Despite the tailgate being from a 1983 or 1984 Country Squire that lived in South Carolina, the bottom edge is quite rusty and had separated in a few spots. I hit it with a lot of rust converter. I'll need to sand it some, hit it with seam sealer, and I'll go over it with some Rustoleum to slow that down. My old tailgate also had the same issues forming, so it's definitely just the nature of these things to do that from exposure.

My Cars:

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 >

Moderator:  BigMerc96 
Who's Online
4 registered (a_d_a_m, 3 invisible), 46 Guests and 98 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box

Top Posters (30 Days)
bluejay_32 70
SocalSam 63
Old_Guy_Stu 57
hot__box 56
a_d_a_m 54
2011CVPI 53
RF_Overlord 41
Dmblanch 38
GrumpMarky 37
hkerekes 33
Member Spotlight

Copyright 2000-2015 by Crownvic.net and Steve Spaulding. All Rights Reserved.
The photographs, graphics and data contained in this Web site are the properties of the contributors, or Crownvic.net and may not be used without expressed written consent.
Crownvic.net is not affiliated with the Ford motor company.

Happily consuming the fuel saved by Prius owners!