Make payments with PayPal - it's fast, free and secure! registry | CVN on Facebook | tech | news | email login Make payments with PayPal - it's fast, free and secure!

Welcome to CVN - Your Panther platform headquarters!

Custom Search

Page 2 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >
Topic Options
#3444401 - 11/21/16 11:15 AM Re: Dim/Flickering Odometer Fix [Re: GM_Guy]
GM_Guy Offline
Posting Addict

Loc: London, Ontario Canada
Start with the soldering job. The connector pins can and do experience cracking also. When you push, you deflect it just enough for the pin to make contact. You also happen to push enough for other components to make contact, so go over the board with a magnifier, and touch up the odo display pins and indicated components while you are in there anyway.

Alex.

Links
#3465945 - 12/10/16 08:04 AM Re: Dim/Flickering Odometer Fix [Re: GM_Guy]
MrRouter Offline
Stranger

Loc: KSA
Thanks Alex , I have fixed my MGM 2006 Cluster based on the guide and SMDs on the front side near main connector were the real culprits here.

Regards,
MR

#3621953 - 04/27/17 04:18 AM Re: Dim/Flickering Odometer Fix [Re: GM_Guy]
SH71382 Offline
n00b

Loc: MN
Ok so my 08 cvpi started out with two issues a couple of years ago when I bought it. First was the odometer light would occasionally dim or even go dark. Second the fuel gauge would not like to read full after I filled the tank, usually it would sit at E for hours or even a day or two, eventually it would get where it's supposed to be. It would never have an issue reading as the gas drops from driving it just took forever to read in the filling side. I generally got used to these issues and knew how to work around them, but now that I am looking to sell the car it decides to get angry with me and now the entire cluster turns on and off randomly. Since that began I can't get the odometer to light up to get an accurate reading. This makes it rather difficult to sell with a malfunctioning cluster and not having an up to date mileage reading. Would you suggest I pull the cluster and resolder it as shown in the tutorial or simply get a new one? I've never soldered before so I don't want to toast the connection but I can't afford to take a hit on the sale price because of the problem. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks all.

#3622345 - 04/27/17 02:02 PM Re: Dim/Flickering Odometer Fix [Re: GM_Guy]
xcopkar Offline

Loc: Il
Since you never soldered before I would caution against it. It really is a skill to be learned, just like welding or brazing. Do you have any friends who can solder?

If you want to send it to me I'll do it for $30. I expect that will correct the odometer problem but I can't guarantee the functionality of the whole cluster. In fact, I would question whether or not it will correct the cluster problem.

Have you reseated the connector to the cluster and checked the fuse? Also check to see if any wires are loose in the plug.

#3623017 - 04/28/17 12:07 AM Re: Dim/Flickering Odometer Fix [Re: GM_Guy]
ferg Offline
Climber

Loc: SE Michigan
This thread is a great guide! I just fixed the odometer thats been (mostly) dead for the last 4 years. I have very little soldering experience and never soldered on a circuit board before. The tip about being sure to hit the tiny resistors under the odometer display was spot on. I went over every solder spot on the back with a jeweler's loop and found no imperfections. Gave one of the resistors on the front a (very) little tap and it was wiggling like crazy. I could have sneezed it off the board. Anyways, it was a little tricky getting the iron in the right spot under the display but i got it back on, and the odometer is good as new! So excited!....forgot to take a pic of it lit up.... Thanks for putting this thread together. Couldnt have done it without it.

Attachments
Capture+_2017-04-27-23-49-55.png

2006 P71 (DD since 2011), white, bumper tuck, 5% tint, code alarm/remote start, MGM cruise wheel, sunroof, carpet, center console, mustang offroad h-pipe dumped at the axle, marauder spoiler, 3" lift/31" mud tires, new 4.6, 188k and counting.

2021 Durango GT (family truckster)
2010 Corvette Grand Sport m6
1995 Corvette base m6
2002 Dale Earnhardt Monte SS

#3623569 - 04/28/17 05:20 PM Re: Dim/Flickering Odometer Fix [Re: GM_Guy]
GM_Guy Offline
Posting Addict

Excellent. Good thing you didn't wait much longer to attack it, no telling where that resistor would have wound up.

Alex.

#3633218 - 05/09/17 05:11 AM Re: Dim/Flickering Odometer Fix [Re: xcopkar]
MattP Offline
n00b

Loc: Greenville, Ohio(near dayton)
Originally Posted By xcopkar
If you want to send it to me I'll do it for $30. I expect that will correct the odometer problem but I can't guarantee the functionality of the whole cluster. In fact, I would question whether or not it will correct the cluster problem.

xcopkar would you be willing to do the odometer fix for me? I don't have a soldering iron and even if I did I don't know if I would feel comfortable doing it myself anyhow. Have you ever done it yourself before?

#3799194 - 11/22/17 07:39 PM Re: Dim/Flickering Odometer Fix [Re: GM_Guy]
Wade_Patton Offline
Stranger

Loc: TN
needles simply push off/on? I'm in this far and don't care to break anything.

thanks!

never mind

Edited by Wade_Patton (11/22/17 07:54 PM)

#3813274 - 12/06/17 03:40 PM Re: Dim/Flickering Odometer Fix [Re: Wade_Patton]
Fordiesel69 Offline

Over the Hill

Loc: Erie, PA
Yes, needles pull off / push on. They are tight however.

I rotate them the opposite direction and mark with a pencil. Then pull them off, then that way I can get them on exact.

Speedo gets turned all the way clockwise.
Fuel gets turned all way counter clockwise.
Temp gets turned all the way clockwise.
Tach gets turned all the way clockwise.

When you put needles back on, insert them just a tad and use them to make sure the shafts stayed in the full direction before pressing them down on. So far so good on the few I have done.
-'08 Crown Vic Police Interceptor (SAP), 3.27, Cloth Interior, Smokestone Metallic, 96K / 249 Hrs
-'08 Crown Vic Police Interceptor (SAP), 3.27, Cloth Interior, Black, 133K / 1643 Hrs
-'08 Crown Vic Police Interceptor (SAP), 3.27, Cloth Interior w/ Carpet, Norsea Blue, 157K / 597 Hrs
-'07 F-150 4x4 - Extended Cab, 3.55's, White w/ Grey interior, 167K
-'14 Fusion S - 160K

#3902482 - 03/12/18 12:00 PM Re: Dim/Flickering Odometer Fix [Re: GM_Guy]
Fordiesel69 Offline

Over the Hill

There appears to be different types of failures on these clusters. I just got a hot air rework station and also a precision soldering iron for very small repairs, and am waiting on a microscope.

I spent 3 hrs resoldering each and every component and joint on the board and the issue still remains, the ODO is intermittent, some indicator lights all at the same time fail to come on with the initial key on sequence, and lastly sometimes the fuel guage reads empty.

I even went as far as using a home brew magnifier to be able to see all the legs on the main processor chip, I used the hot air and proper reflow flux to reflow all those connections to no avail either.
-'08 Crown Vic Police Interceptor (SAP), 3.27, Cloth Interior, Smokestone Metallic, 96K / 249 Hrs
-'08 Crown Vic Police Interceptor (SAP), 3.27, Cloth Interior, Black, 133K / 1643 Hrs
-'08 Crown Vic Police Interceptor (SAP), 3.27, Cloth Interior w/ Carpet, Norsea Blue, 157K / 597 Hrs
-'14 Fusion S - 160K

#3902754 - 03/12/18 05:24 PM Re: Dim/Flickering Odometer Fix [Re: GM_Guy]
GM_Guy Offline
Posting Addict

Good possibility the cluster is just toast. I'm waiting on finding a decent non-pi cluster for mine to see if it does come down to the cluster or some outside influence is acting on it (DDM).

Alex.

#3904354 - 03/14/18 03:07 PM Re: Dim/Flickering Odometer Fix [Re: GM_Guy]
Fordiesel69 Offline

Over the Hill

Originally Posted By GM_Guy
Good possibility the cluster is just toast. I'm waiting on finding a decent non-pi cluster for mine to see if it does come down to the cluster or some outside influence is acting on it (DDM).

Alex.

The cluster is never toast, its just I lack the diagnostic ability. When I send them off the AR speedometer, they always come back working rock solid. I have never been able to get any info out of them on what failed or what they did to fix. And the fact I always try to reflow the stuff first, I cannot tell cosmetically what they did or what I did to identify.

The actual labor part of doing the repair is cake work with a hot air station and small tip iron, but the diag is where it is difficult.
-'14 Fusion S - 160K

#3907522 - 03/19/18 12:19 AM Re: Dim/Flickering Odometer Fix [Re: GM_Guy]
EMILBUS Offline
n00b

Loc: PA
I've been avoiding this for over 2 years but FINALLY tore into the cluster this weekend.

My specific problem was that the odometer, high beam indictor, gas gauge, and some other dummy lights would malfunction intermittently. They hardly worked at all when the temperature was below 45F here in PA.

What I found was that the 32-pin connector seems to be my problem NOT the board components or solder joints.

More details:
Getting the unit apart wasn't much of an issue and I used a USB microscope for the up close & personal views. What I found was that the existing factory solder joints all look pretty good. However, I put some heat to the aforementioned joints (odometer resistors, connector pins, etc.) for good measure in case there was something I didn't see. This didn't help at all. When I had lost all hope and began re-installing the cluster, I accidentally found that if I put some downward & forward pressure on the 32-pin plug, the problematic lights would illuminate!!! From the driver's seat, the pressure would be down towards the pedals and (pull) towards the steering wheel which is away from the front of the circuit board. This was consistently repeatable.

Due to this glimmer of hope, I spent several more hours trying to solve the issue at the plug & receptacle but with little luck. The circuit board was removed from the cluster assembly and I took countless trips between the work bench and the car to test any tweaks that I made which included (but not limited to), de-duster spray, contact cleaner, reflowing all connector joints, bending the pins in various directions, removing the latch mechanism on the plug, check all wires going into the plug from the harness, etc., etc.)

I still wasn't able to get a 100% fix but everything started working fine about 2 minutes into my test drive. I'll be keeping an eye on this through the week to see if is a good fix. Anyway, this was a baffling discover because everyone says the cluster has faults but I found that my electrical plug connection is the issue.

#3908618 - 03/20/18 06:38 PM Re: Dim/Flickering Odometer Fix [Re: Fordiesel69]
GM_Guy Offline
Posting Addict

Originally Posted By Fordiesel69

The cluster is never toast, its just I lack the diagnostic ability. When I send them off the AR speedometer, they always come back working rock solid. I have never been able to get any info out of them on what failed or what they did to fix. And the fact I always try to reflow the stuff first, I cannot tell cosmetically what they did or what I did to identify.

The actual labor part of doing the repair is cake work with a hot air station and small tip iron, but the diag is where it is difficult.

Toast as it relates to the DIY'er, not a shop setup with the expensive tools to program them and who has access to the software.

There is a single microcontroller on board that contains pretty much everything, software, odometer value storage, control for the various cluster functions.

The rest of the board is support systems, and yes, good possibility the trouble lies there, but good luck tracking down an intermittant. Nothing I metered caused me concern.

Alex.

#3909106 - 03/21/18 11:10 AM Re: Dim/Flickering Odometer Fix [Re: EMILBUS]
Fordiesel69 Offline

Over the Hill

We need to find out how to reflow the processor chip. I did not have the proper paste to do so, but I did reflow mine. I ended up getting upset and spent 2hrs resoldering the entire circuit board one part at a time. Still nothing.

Sent to AR speedometer and all is well.. I dont get it.
-'14 Fusion S - 160K

Page 2 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >

Who's Online
2 registered (Ethanb538, LTC_Dave), 129 Guests and 9 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box

Top Posters (30 Days)
Dmblanch 33
Old_Guy_Stu 32
RF_Overlord 31
speedfreak 27
Bellwestern80 25
LordAeneas 23
PrincePolaris 20
a_d_a_m 17
GM_Guy 16
Traffic22 15
Member Spotlight

Copyright 2000-2015 by Crownvic.net and Steve Spaulding. All Rights Reserved.
The photographs, graphics and data contained in this Web site are the properties of the contributors, or Crownvic.net and may not be used without expressed written consent.
Crownvic.net is not affiliated with the Ford motor company.

Happily consuming the fuel saved by Prius owners!