Make payments with PayPal - it's fast, free and secure! registry | CVN on Facebook | tech | news | email login Make payments with PayPal - it's fast, free and secure!

Welcome to CVN - Your Panther platform headquarters!

Custom Search

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#3717346 - 08/23/17 01:01 PM AC System totaled
Rainyp71 Offline
Climber

Loc: North Carolina, USA
Hey guys, need some input.

My AC system is totaled and is circulating giant black chunks through the system which are clogging the orfice tube. Thoughts on me replacing the entire system myself? I've looked around and its going to be 2 grand to get someone to do it for me.

Any input would be great!

Thanks

2000 P71 Crown Vic former Gordonsville, VA Police Wrecked @ 200,199 Miles - All fixed! Currently 250,000 Miles
GMAX As-05 tires, 3.55 gears, Ford 28 spline limited slip w/ carbon clutches, upgraded trans cooler, custom trunk false floor, autometer tach, Sony Double DIN Head Unit, KYBs all around.

Links
#3717362 - 08/23/17 01:35 PM Re: AC System totaled [Re: Rainyp71]
Rootintootin Offline
Climber

Loc: North Carolina
I'd say find an HVAC course at your local community college, and enroll yourself in one of their adult continuing education courses. You could use your car as a class project. Get to learn what to do under close supervision, use their tools without having to lay out a bunch of cash and have your car rehabbed for next year. Also, you could get a certificate to do this for pay, if you like it and get good at it.

Or lay out the bucks for your own tools, spend a lot of time learning what to do on your own. It's not too difficult. Do your studying up front, determine what tools you need, and do the job at your own schedule when you are ready. Sell the expensive stuff after the job is done and the final cost is not very much at all.

Not that it matters at this stage, but since a lot of this comes down to what year (or era) your car is. It would be a good idea to put your year and model in your signature. It helps narrow down the advice you get.

#3717386 - 08/23/17 03:10 PM Re: AC System totaled [Re: Rainyp71]
BigMerc96 Offline

I know nothing
Posting Addict

Loc: I can see Detroit from here!
Replacing the parts isn't complicated. Just make sure you flush whatever isn't replaced thoroughly, especially parts that might trap debris and be cost/time prohibitive to replace like the evaporator core. What I would do is replace what needs replaced, flush what needs flushed, and take it to an AC shop for the evac and recharge. The last step is critical and difficult to do without expensive AC tools, so its worth it (to me anyway) to pay it done.

2006 Audi A6 ~132k miles, stock.
1998 Mercury Grand Marquis LS HPP ~100k miles, slowly acquiring modifications.
1997 Town Car Cartier ~145k miles, Ported Plenum, Gutted Airbox, Contour E-fan Retrofit, Dual exhaust with Magnaflows, cats deleted, MSD Ignition, KYB Gas-A-Justs, P71 front bar, air ride reinstated, Projector retrofit, Caddy 4-note horn retrofit, Wood rim steering wheel retrofit, holistic weight reduction as the parts fall off..
1996 Mercury Grand Marquis GS 117,485mi. R.I.P. 7/14/12 frown

#3717498 - 08/23/17 05:02 PM Re: AC System totaled [Re: BigMerc96]
Rainyp71 Offline
Climber

Originally Posted By Rootintootin
I'd say find an HVAC course at your local community college, and enroll yourself in one of their adult continuing education courses. You could use your car as a class project. Get to learn what to do under close supervision, use their tools without having to lay out a bunch of cash and have your car rehabbed for next year. Also, you could get a certificate to do this for pay, if you like it and get good at it.

Or lay out the bucks for your own tools, spend a lot of time learning what to do on your own. It's not too difficult. Do your studying up front, determine what tools you need, and do the job at your own schedule when you are ready. Sell the expensive stuff after the job is done and the final cost is not very much at all.

Not that it matters at this stage, but since a lot of this comes down to what year (or era) your car is. It would be a good idea to put your year and model in your signature. It helps narrow down the advice you get.

Thanks for the input. Unfortunately I'm not going to go maybe a semester without AC. It's hot out here! And all my info is in my sig, just press click to reveal wink

Originally Posted By BigMerc96
Replacing the parts isn't complicated. Just make sure you flush whatever isn't replaced thoroughly, especially parts that might trap debris and be cost/time prohibitive to replace like the evaporator core. What I would do is replace what needs replaced, flush what needs flushed, and take it to an AC shop for the evac and recharge. The last step is critical and difficult to do without expensive AC tools, so its worth it (to me anyway) to pay it done.

Thanks for the input. My fathers thought was to let someone do the system so maybe I get a warranty, but I doubt anyone is going to warranty their work. I could do the whole thing myself for 700 for the parts. It be 2,000 anywhere else. All I have to do is get someplace to empty and recharge it. I can flush the evaporator core myself I believe, it's 30 bucks for the tool and 16 for the solvent so I don see why I wouldn't do it myself.

Edited by Rainyp71 (08/23/17 05:03 PM)

2000 P71 Crown Vic former Gordonsville, VA Police Wrecked @ 200,199 Miles - All fixed! Currently 250,000 Miles
GMAX As-05 tires, 3.55 gears, Ford 28 spline limited slip w/ carbon clutches, upgraded trans cooler, custom trunk false floor, autometer tach, Sony Double DIN Head Unit, KYBs all around.

#3718546 - 08/25/17 08:04 AM Re: AC System totaled [Re: Rainyp71]
Rainyp71 Offline
Climber

Update: Did plenty of research. Doing it myself. Going to get it evacuated in a week or so as parts come in. I ordered:

1. Ford Racing AC Compressor delete (So I can still drive it with the entire system removed to allow exact matching of parts)
2. 8oz of PAG46 spec oil
3. 6 12oz cans of DuPont Suva r134a (need 38oz)
4. Kitchen scale to weigh r134a and measuring glass for oil
5. r134a gauge set
6. r134a can tap
7. Ford and GM A/C, trans, and fuel line disconnect kit

The plan as of now is to get the system evacuated then remove the compressor and install the delete bracket. At that point, I'll then remove the entire system - the evap core and reassemble it in the shop to understand how everything is put together for the new part install. I then plan on ordering:

Motorcraft compressor and clutch kit
Motorcraft condensor
Motorcraft evap Core
Motorcraft orfice tube
Motorcraft Drier/accumulator
All 3 Motorcraft lines
Motorcraft compressor manifold lines
Motorcraft pressure sensors
Four Seasons blend door actuator
GPD seal kit

Once I'm sure I have everything ready to go I'll pull the dash and yank the evap core, replace it, then remove the compressor delete bracket and install everything with 7oz of oil. Then pull a vacuum and add r134a.

I will do my best to document this.

Edited by Rainyp71 (08/25/17 08:05 AM)

#3718554 - 08/25/17 08:11 AM Re: AC System totaled [Re: Rainyp71]
BigMerc96 Offline

I know nothing
Posting Addict

If you are changing the blend door actuator, get the Motorcraft part. Not a job you want to do twice. My experience with aftermarket BDA is that it'll fail in a few months and you'll be changing it again.

1997 Town Car Cartier ~145k miles, Ported Plenum, Gutted Airbox, Contour E-fan Retrofit, Dual exhaust with Magnaflows, cats deleted, MSD Ignition, KYB Gas-A-Justs, P71 front bar, air ride reinstated, Projector retrofit, Caddy 4-note horn retrofit, Wood rim steering wheel retrofit, holistic weight reduction as the parts fall off..

#3718570 - 08/25/17 08:30 AM Re: AC System totaled [Re: BigMerc96]
Rainyp71 Offline
Climber

If you are changing the blend door actuator, get the Motorcraft part. Not a job you want to do twice. My experience with aftermarket BDA is that it'll fail in a few months and you'll be changing it again.

Great, thanks for the info! Do you have a part number for a 2000 crown vic with manual A/c? Also, before I make another thread, is there anything else I need besides the BDA to make it a full repair? I'm seeing two types of actuators on Rockauto.

#3718586 - 08/25/17 08:47 AM Re: AC System totaled [Re: Rainyp71]
RF_Overlord Offline

Poobah

Loc: MA
Originally Posted By Rainyp71
I'm seeing two types of actuators on Rockauto.
The actuators for EATC and manual look almost identical, but they are not interchangeable.
Trilogy Motorsports supercharged #61
Too many mods to list / Driveway Queen

'04 Grand Marquis LS Limited Edition (Spruce Green)
Daily Driver (Thanks, Adam!)

'00 Grand Marquis GS (Silver)
Rotted frame and broken transmission crossmember
Being resurrected...slowly.

#3719226 - 08/25/17 08:39 PM Re: AC System totaled [Re: RF_Overlord]
Rainyp71 Offline
Climber

Originally Posted By RF_Overlord
Originally Posted By Rainyp71
I'm seeing two types of actuators on Rockauto.
The actuators for EATC and manual look almost identical, but they are not interchangeable.

I am aware of that, but I am seeing something that looks amis to an internal turbo wastegate. Is the only part I need the BDA?

Sorry for the confusion!

#3719594 - 08/26/17 08:59 AM Re: AC System totaled [Re: Rainyp71]
RF_Overlord Offline

Poobah

Loc: MA
That's what the vacuum motors look like. You want this one.

Unfortunately it looks like Rock doesn't have the Motorcraft one for manual control, only the EATC version.
Trilogy Motorsports supercharged #61
Too many mods to list / Driveway Queen

'04 Grand Marquis LS Limited Edition (Spruce Green)
Daily Driver (Thanks, Adam!)

'00 Grand Marquis GS (Silver)
Rotted frame and broken transmission crossmember
Being resurrected...slowly.

#3719826 - 08/26/17 03:43 PM Re: AC System totaled [Re: RF_Overlord]
Rainyp71 Offline
Climber

Originally Posted By RF_Overlord
That's what the vacuum motors look like. You want this one.

Unfortunately it looks like Rock doesn't have the Motorcraft one for manual control, only the EATC version.

GREAT! Thanks man! I'm sure I can find a Motorcraft part number through the fordparts site. And sorry for all the questions, but what does the vacuum motor do?

#3719866 - 08/26/17 04:27 PM Re: AC System totaled [Re: Rainyp71]
BigMerc96 Offline

I know nothing
Posting Addict

The vacuum motors are exactly what their name implies, well, the other name they go by anyway, vacuum solenoid. When vacuum is applied/removed they push/pull a linkage. The mode doors (vent/floor/defrost and recirc) all operate by vacuum motors. You rarely hear of them failing unless the car is very old because a vacuum motor is about the simplest mechanism there is.

#3719962 - 08/26/17 09:42 PM Re: AC System totaled [Re: BigMerc96]
Rainyp71 Offline
Climber

The vacuum motors are exactly what their name implies, well, the other name they go by anyway, vacuum solenoid. When vacuum is applied/removed they push/pull a linkage. The mode doors (vent/floor/defrost and recirc) all operate by vacuum motors. You rarely hear of them failing unless the car is very old because a vacuum motor is about the simplest mechanism there is.

Thanks man! Now I've just got to decide if I wanna mess with it or not.

#3720274 - 08/27/17 09:44 AM Re: AC System totaled [Re: Rainyp71]
PJC Offline
Climber

Loc: Nottingham, PA
I have gotten OEM Ford Blend Door Actuators from Amazon

1998 Dodge Dakota 5.2L 4x4 164k

#3720306 - 08/27/17 10:02 AM Re: AC System totaled [Re: Rainyp71]
Rainyp71 Offline
Climber

Anyone got a part number? Having difficulty finding the manual version.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Who's Online
5 registered (derekghs, 01boatman, tc092, Dmblanch, Becker34), 64 Guests and 102 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box

Top Posters (30 Days)
bluejay_32 109
JeffBoudah 81
Armada Master 74
Old_Guy_Stu 72
Moby_Vic 65
Dmblanch 56
DudeAbides 54
a_d_a_m 44
SocalSam 43
Ponyguy 42
Member Spotlight

Copyright 2000-2015 by Crownvic.net and Steve Spaulding. All Rights Reserved.
The photographs, graphics and data contained in this Web site are the properties of the contributors, or Crownvic.net and may not be used without expressed written consent.
Crownvic.net is not affiliated with the Ford motor company.

Happily consuming the fuel saved by Prius owners!