Make payments with PayPal - it's fast, free and secure! registry | CVN on Facebook | tech | news | email login Make payments with PayPal - it's fast, free and secure!

Welcome to CVN - Your Panther platform headquarters!

Custom Search

Topic Options
#2179169 - 11/10/10 08:45 PM 07 CVPI Transmission Troubles
Unixadm Offline

Loc: Sacramento, CA
Can it be, my first automatic transmission problem in the 20+ cars I've owned? I just picked up a 2007 CVPI with 101k miles on it. It runs great and at part throttle it drives great as well. However something isn't right with the transmission. I have checked the fluid, it doesn't smell burnt and is full.

The transmission seems to slip slightly in first gear under WOT. I'm not 100% sure, but I'm comparing it to my previous 2003 CVPI. Also when cruising at around 40 and going WOT, the transmission will down shift with a pretty harsh thud. It's like it down shifts, slips, then engages. My 2003 CVPI never did this. There was also a delay shifting from reverse to drive once in a while. If you drive it normally, it shifts perfect, actually lots better than my 2003 CVPI which had weird flaring issues going into 3rd gear. This one is nice, tight and consistent.

This was not a patrol car, it came from what I believe was the FBI or US Marshals. It has 336 idle hours on it and is in EXCELLENT condition inside and out. The car drives 3x better than my old beat up patrol 2003. So from looking at it, I don't think it was abused.

So obviously there are a few possibilities, but I have not yet pulled the pan. Hell I just got the car yesterday. Anyone experience similar issues? I did search but the threads were not really conclusive.

If the transmission is on the way out, then I will buy a low mile used one from a 2008 CVPI and have it installed. That is unless someone knows of a very good transmission shop in the Sacramento, CA area that has experience with these transmissions.

Links
#2179203 - 11/10/10 09:24 PM Re: 07 CVPI Transmission Troubles [Re: Unixadm]
Stick Offline
Climber

Loc: Oshawa Ontario Canada
I hope you are turning the overdrive off before you try to go WOT??? These transmissions will try to BACK shift into second gear and your going to break it if you dont turn the over drive off first. As for the slip in first gear this could be a program issue with the computer (PCM) and you should get the latest update ($100) for the PCM from a Ford dealer. First RULE with a new CVPI is to change ALL the fluids because you dont know when any thing was last changed out. Drop the trans pan and change fluid and filter. Only use MerconV trans fluid. When your at Ford have them pull the trans codes.

#2179336 - 11/11/10 01:11 AM Re: 07 CVPI Transmission Troubles [Re: Stick]
TheTransporter Offline
n00b

Loc: Edmonton, Alberta
what do u mean by "back shift" into second?

when i WOT mine it has no issues going into second...

pedal down...hits second...take off...shifts gears and off i go. seems kinda silly that u would have to hit the overdrive button to go WOT on a car...

#2179384 - 11/11/10 07:15 AM Re: 07 CVPI Transmission Troubles [Re: TheTransporter]
GrandMarq9807 Offline
Over the Hill

Loc: Virginia
 Originally Posted By: TheTransporter
seems kinda silly that u would have to hit the overdrive button to go WOT on a car...

Agreed, just another CVN myth(stick around, you'll find more)...

While it isn't a CVPI, I NEVER have any issue with my '07 MGM being harsh or slamming into gear on a forced O/D to 2nd downshift, AFAIK that's usually a problem AFTER the trans has been J-modded... Yes I do have that issue on my Marauder and yes it has the J-mod...

First off it would be a good idea to scan the PCM for codes and it may be worth checking the valve body bolts to be sure they are snug, AFAIK this hasn't been a problem on these later trans but I've seen it in the past... Also the manual selector switch on the side of the transmission has been known to cause strange shifting issues...

----------My Toys---------(links are up)
1969 Fairlane Cobra 428CJ 4-Speed
1972 Comet GT Restomod 306, C4
1988 Turbo Coupe 331 AOD & 3.73 .. Pressurized ½ Motor is History

*****************NEW TOY!!!*********************
1969 Base Fairlane 302, C4, 45K mi(really!)

Now with P/S & PDB
Gonna wake it up with a Blue Print headed 347

#2179403 - 11/11/10 08:19 AM Re: 07 CVPI Transmission Troubles [Re: TheTransporter]
Rizzo Offline
J-MOD Master
Metroplectic

Loc: Romulus,MI
 Originally Posted By: TheTransporter
what do u mean by "back shift" into second?

when i WOT mine it has no issues going into second...

pedal down...hits second...take off...shifts gears and off i go. seems kinda silly that u would have to hit the overdrive button to go WOT on a car...

I only have half the story : One clutch is released and another is applied, It ends up being very harsh for the trans to skip 3rd.

I know it's our weak spot I'm just not awake enough to explain it very well.

:coffee:

The Jmod video is done! LINK!

#2179545 - 11/11/10 11:58 AM Re: 07 CVPI Transmission Troubles [Re: Unixadm]
Unixadm Offline

Just to clarify I have had the following vehicles with a similar transmission:

1. 2003 Mercury Marauder 300A
2. 1999 CVPI
3. 2003 CVPI

The 2007 does drive different due to the throttle by wire. However the extremely harsh shift/bang has never happened in any of the other cars. I know the weakness is OD to 2nd down shifts which for the most part I would always hit the OD off button first. The Marauder had PCM programming and shifted very well, never harsh like this.

At half throttle, it will shift decent. Last night I took it out on a rural road, accelerated moderately in first gear, it shifted into second fine. Then I gradually applied full throttle where the car accelerated properly with a firm 2-3 shift where I stayed in the throttle for a couple of seconds before letting off. The issue seems to be around the commanded downshift. The slipping I felt in first may not be slipping, I'm coming from cars like a Pontiac G8 GT and my Lexus LS430 which accelerated pretty briskly. I have not driven my old 2003 CVPI since January, so who knows. The P71s always made more noise than go, so I may be thinking it's slipping. However it didn't seem quite right in first gear.

As for fluid changes, yes I know. However to get a fluid exchange (not flush) on this transmission isn't cheap. If it's on it's way out, then it's all for nothing, money I'd rather apply towards a low mile transmission. I work for ALLDATA so I'll ask some of our ASE techs if they know anyone at a local Ford dealership who can take a look at it. Until then I'll keep my foot out of it. I have done many transmission services on my past Caprice LT1/9C1 cars, but damn it was messy. I'd rather pay. \:\)

#2179612 - 11/11/10 02:20 PM Re: 07 CVPI Transmission Troubles [Re: Unixadm]
TheTransporter Offline
n00b

Loc: Edmonton, Alberta
my 2003 CVPI doesnt shift harsh. its a hard shift but nothing that i would deem harsh....

granted the trans is j modded and i run superchips...all shifting is precise and very quick. car also takes off quick and doesnt seem to lag.

granted the car weighs in the 4000# range so this isnt no corvette by any means.

#2179935 - 11/11/10 10:18 PM Re: 07 CVPI Transmission Troubles [Re: TheTransporter]
Unixadm Offline

Drove it around more today and it seems to be getting better. I'll have the fluid exchanged and see what happens.

#2180014 - 11/12/10 01:34 AM Re: 07 CVPI Transmission Troubles [Re: Unixadm]
RF_Overlord Offline

Poobah

Loc: MA
 Originally Posted By: Unixadm
I have done many transmission services on my past Caprice LT1/9C1 cars, but damn it was messy. I'd rather pay. \:\)
While you're getting the fluid exchange, install a drain plug on the pan. $10 at NAPA. Makes future drain & fills MUCH less messy.
Trilogy Motorsports supercharged #61
Too many mods to list / Driveway Queen

'04 Grand Marquis LS Limited Edition (Spruce Green)
Daily Driver (Thanks, Adam!)

'00 Grand Marquis GS (Silver)
Rotted frame and broken transmission crossmember
Being resurrected...slowly.

#2184179 - 11/18/10 09:29 PM Re: 07 CVPI Transmission Troubles [Re: RF_Overlord]
BlaineB Offline
Over the Hill

Loc: Indiana
What kind of drain plug doyou speak of, how does it tap the pan?

#3407977 - 10/22/16 07:57 PM Re: 07 CVPI Transmission Troubles [Re: Unixadm]
hobbs2324 Offline
Stranger

Loc: NJ
I know this is an old thread but I didn't want to start something new when it seems like this would be a good place to add on to
I just bought an 07 yesterday with 118k miles on it that had sat for at least 2+ months
I noticed on the test drive the 40 mph stutter and shake meaning coils were in my future but that did not alarm me because the car drove well and seemed very tight and it had the street appearance package with the split front seat, velour interior, no spot light etc..
Drove the car approximately 40 miles home last night and check engine light came on and car started shaking, coils and or spark, and I confirmed when I got home that #s 1 and 3 were miss firing and I replaced both and test drove car 40 miles and all was good.
Got up this am and it was raining and drove the car 40+ miles again and all seemed fine but near the end of the drive the transmission seemed very finicky and was trying to figure out what gear to stay in.
I went out again and got onto a highway and the car would not shift in to 3rd or drive and the tool light came on so I immediately shut it down and left the car for 5 hours in a park and ride commuter parking lot.
Just went back and picked the car up and it ran perfect but occasionally became "confused" is the best way to put it as to which gear it wanted to stay in
Tool light was gone
I know this is a drive by wire car and the trouble started initially when driving in wet weather
Any ideas

Edited by hobbs2324 (10/22/16 07:58 PM)

#3739338 - 09/20/17 11:44 AM Re: 07 CVPI Transmission Troubles [Re: Unixadm]
FDNDC Offline
Stranger

Loc: CANADA
Same issue with my Mercury Marauder. Seems to shift rough on the lower gears and when I turn the OD off its slightly improved. when the car shifts at below 2k rpm sometimes you will feel its shift, anything above and you feel it shift very rough. I never go WOT without turning the OD off. All the fluids seem to be good as I recently had a ATF fluid change. (Not flush) and have driven if for about 200kms and it seems to be the same. There also seems to be a delay when going into reverse or drive but a longer delay into reverse. I bought the car last week and put 650kms on it. the car now is sitting on 1778xx KMS

Who's Online
2 registered (bluejay_32, Traffic22), 61 Guests and 269 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box

Top Posters (30 Days)
bluejay_32 166
a_d_a_m 105
Old_Guy_Stu 102
DudeAbides 54
Moby_Vic 51
CrystalPistol 48
TheCableGuy 43
RF_Overlord 43
Ponyguy 41
Rainbowpizza 38
Member Spotlight

Copyright 2000-2015 by Crownvic.net and Steve Spaulding. All Rights Reserved.
The photographs, graphics and data contained in this Web site are the properties of the contributors, or Crownvic.net and may not be used without expressed written consent.
Crownvic.net is not affiliated with the Ford motor company.

Happily consuming the fuel saved by Prius owners!