Make payments with PayPal - it's fast, free and secure! registry | CVN on Facebook | tech | news | email login Make payments with PayPal - it's fast, free and secure!

Welcome to CVN - Your Panther platform headquarters!

Custom Search

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#3833138 - 12/30/17 12:27 AM Re: Worn Wheel Bearing [Re: kc_caveMan_P7B]
Original_Light Offline
Climber

Loc: Connecticut, U.S.
Originally Posted By kc_caveMan_P7B
did you have any oil stains on inside the wheels ?
my 2011 made noise like you describe and ended up being axle seals busted and leaked out most of the diff fluid
and high pitch squealing noise came from that oil burning up on the brakes at speed . bearings would make a whining noise kind of like a tornado siren at distance .

i ended up doing the work myself it took close to 5.hours start to finish . Most important thing is carefully removing friction plates clutches discs things from differential and making sure things don't go falling out on you and you don't know the order they were in . then.. . there are C-clamps on the axle on inside ends being held split apart buy a S-clamp Those are a Pain in the *@! to get out and the seals are some Tough soB's hard to get out seal puller i had was bending i had to brake them loose with a steel punch but risking damage to axle housing .
so.. . i would find a good write-up on it and study the hell out of it and/or have some help
once the axles are out you can check the axles and splines and bearings and all that's in the diff
but the job should not cost that much that's just... .
AnyWhoom good Luck with it n'stuff.. .

I don't have a whine or any constant noises like a tornado siren. I'm just getting scraping noises and squeaks. Maybe mine isn't that bad yet.

The best way I can describe it is, it sounds like Mickey & Minnie are having a party in the back. Mickey is chewing on something, and Minnie is squeaking.

I went to a different garage today. They said they'll buy the kit for $160, and do both seals and replace the axle. $85/hr labor rate, and they said it takes about 2-3 hours of labor. So roughly $400-$600, half the price of what my mechanic wanted for doing just one seal. This garage frequently works on the Fire Dept. Crown Victoria's and he said they just recently did the kit to one of them.

I really think this job is out of my ability, I'm able to do brakes, blower motors, but anything like this I'm not really comfortable with. I'll get a couple of more estimates. Since kc_caveMan_P7B says that his CVPI made similar noises (or at least one of my noises), it's probably (hopefully) just one issue and not two.

Edited by Original_Light (12/30/17 12:29 AM)

2022 Chevrolet Silverado RST with 5.3 Liter V8 - 7000 Miles

Links
#3834929 - 01/01/18 08:25 AM Re: Worn Wheel Bearing [Re: Original_Light]
D-Fenz Offline

Poobah

Loc: Free America (WV)
I'd honestly probably lean to have them do both at once. My 2005 wore a bearing and seal on one side, and when they got into both axles were scored. And the rear end had been totally replaced on that car while it was in service (I managed to get the service records from the dealer with a letter from the sheriff's dept, go figure).

Looks like 31 spline axles are running between 150-200.

2005 CVPI-Rick James-SOLD
2000 Exploder-Charlie Murphy I-SOLD
1998 CVPI-Snow Beast-SOLD
1991 CVLX-Beast-SOLD
1987 Tempo-The Red Demon-RIP

Beef Supreme Tech News

Please put your year/make/model/mileage in your signature, it helps everyone answer your questions.

#3835049 - 01/01/18 11:11 AM Re: Worn Wheel Bearing [Re: D-Fenz]
Fordiesel69 Offline

Over the Hill

Loc: Erie, PA
Originally Posted By D-Fenz
I'd honestly probably lean to have them do both at once. My 2005 wore a bearing and seal on one side, and when they got into both axles were scored. And the rear end had been totally replaced on that car while it was in service (I managed to get the service records from the dealer with a letter from the sheriff's dept, go figure).

2003+ the axle shafts can be hardened or not as quality control is bad. 2010 was another bad year for axle shafts.

The reason the shafts fail in police use is that often the patrol cars sit on an un-level terrain. When a speeder is identified, often the officer slammed the pedal to the floor which all the fluid is on the opposite side of the axle tube. Do you ever wonder how a taxi can make 300-400k on just a simple axle service and maybe some bearings here and there?
-'08 Crown Vic Police Interceptor (SAP), 3.27, Cloth Interior, Smokestone Metallic, 96K / 249 Hrs
-'08 Crown Vic Police Interceptor (SAP), 3.27, Cloth Interior, Black, 133K / 1643 Hrs
-'08 Crown Vic Police Interceptor (SAP), 3.27, Cloth Interior w/ Carpet, Norsea Blue, 157K / 597 Hrs
-'07 F-150 4x4 - Extended Cab, 3.55's, White w/ Grey interior, 167K
-'14 Fusion S - 160K

#3835729 - 01/01/18 11:04 PM Re: Worn Wheel Bearing [Re: Fordiesel69]
D-Fenz Offline

Poobah

Loc: Free America (WV)
Originally Posted By Fordiesel69
Originally Posted By D-Fenz

2003+ the axle shafts can be hardened or not as quality control is bad. 2010 was another bad year for axle shafts.

The reason the shafts fail in police use is that often the patrol cars sit on an un-level terrain. When a speeder is identified, often the officer slammed the pedal to the floor which all the fluid is on the opposite side of the axle tube. Do you ever wonder how a taxi can make 300-400k on just a simple axle service and maybe some bearings here and there?

Makes sense. What was funky about my 2005 is that according to the build date it had 31 splines from the factory. But they swapped in the rear end from an 03. Had I not known that and remembered to mention it to the mechanic we would have had a wrong axles trying to put them in.

2005 CVPI-Rick James-SOLD
2000 Exploder-Charlie Murphy I-SOLD
1998 CVPI-Snow Beast-SOLD
1991 CVLX-Beast-SOLD
1987 Tempo-The Red Demon-RIP

Beef Supreme Tech News

Please put your year/make/model/mileage in your signature, it helps everyone answer your questions.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Who's Online
0 registered (), 136 Guests and 14 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box

Top Posters (30 Days)
Dmblanch 33
Old_Guy_Stu 32
RF_Overlord 31
speedfreak 27
Bellwestern80 25
LordAeneas 23
PrincePolaris 20
a_d_a_m 17
Traffic22 16
GM_Guy 16
Member Spotlight

Copyright 2000-2015 by Crownvic.net and Steve Spaulding. All Rights Reserved.
The photographs, graphics and data contained in this Web site are the properties of the contributors, or Crownvic.net and may not be used without expressed written consent.
Crownvic.net is not affiliated with the Ford motor company.

Happily consuming the fuel saved by Prius owners!