Make payments with PayPal - it's fast, free and secure! registry | CVN on Facebook | tech | news | email login Make payments with PayPal - it's fast, free and secure!

Welcome to CVN - Your Panther platform headquarters!

Custom Search

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#3894114 - 03/02/18 08:43 PM Re: Cleveland - Check Air Suspension [Re: a_d_a_m]
JoeSapien Offline
n00b

Loc: Solon, OH
Originally Posted By a_d_a_m
Please, USE JACK STANDS when lifting a car! If you don't have some, head over to a Harbor Freight and spend $30-40 on a pair. laugh

You do not have to crawl under the car to jack it up, but you do have to crawl under the car to check the sensor.

There are jack points marked on your rocker panel covers (the plastic bits underneath your doors on each side). Look for the little arrow marks...those are jack points.

Really surprises me that you're experiencing resistance on this job from mechanics. If it was truly the compressor, it's not a hard fix:

I have a tendency to get my shoulder dislocated, so I do not want to take a chance by crawling under the car.

The two mechanics who refused to take Mercury Grand Marquis work have been in the business for more than a decade. In my opinion, they are skilled and trustworthy but they refused to touch my Mercury Grand Marquis.

The installation of the air compressor, as shown in the video, does require multiple but uncomplicated repair work. I don't understand their reaction. Maybe they just want to work easier work.

The mechanic who quoted $534 for installation of the coil system is charging for 3.5 hours of labor.

#3894138 - 03/02/18 08:58 PM Re: Cleveland - Check Air Suspension [Re: JoeSapien]
a_d_a_m Offline

3 Orange Whips
Metroplectic

Loc: Cleveland, OH
I have no idea what my schedule, or the weather, will be like on Monday.
However, if you're free during the day (like, before 2pm) on Monday and my schedule works out and it's DRY AND NOT CRAPPY...I might be willing to drive down to Solon and throw it up in the air.
Unfortunately, I won't probably know much about my schedule until Sunday evening, so there's that.

'91 LTD Country Squire (POTM Mar. '19) | '03 Marauder (POTM Nov. '10, Jul. '20) | 2010 P7B (POTM Feb. '21)
formerly: '02 MGM, '04 MGM, '04 MGM v2.0, '04 MM, '07 P71 (POTM Feb. '18), '04 CVLX (POTM Jun. '19 and the best car ever), '03 SAP P71

#3894562 - 03/03/18 10:21 AM Re: Cleveland - Check Air Suspension [Re: JoeSapien]
PJC Offline
Climber

Loc: Nottingham, PA
Originally Posted By JoeSapien
Please, USE JACK STANDS when lifting a car! If you don't have some, head over to a Harbor Freight and spend $30-40 on a pair. laugh

You do not have to crawl under the car to jack it up, but you do have to crawl under the car to check the sensor.

There are jack points marked on your rocker panel covers (the plastic bits underneath your doors on each side). Look for the little arrow marks...those are jack points.

Really surprises me that you're experiencing resistance on this job from mechanics. If it was truly the compressor, it's not a hard fix:

I have a tendency to get my shoulder dislocated, so I do not want to take a chance by crawling under the car.

The two mechanics who refused to take Mercury Grand Marquis work have been in the business for more than a decade. In my opinion, they are skilled and trustworthy but they refused to touch my Mercury Grand Marquis.

The installation of the air compressor, as shown in the video, does require multiple but uncomplicated repair work. I don't understand their reaction. Maybe they just want to work easier work.

The mechanic who quoted $534 for installation of the coil system is charging for 3.5 hours of labor.

3.5 hrs must include a 2 hr lunch break. lol

1998 Dodge Dakota 5.2L 4x4 164k

#3894938 - 03/03/18 07:59 PM Re: Cleveland - Check Air Suspension [Re: PJC]
JoeSapien Offline
n00b

Originally Posted By PJC

3.5 hrs must include a 2 hr lunch break. lol

What is a reasonable labor time for this job?

#3894946 - 03/03/18 08:08 PM Re: Cleveland - Check Air Suspension [Re: a_d_a_m]
JoeSapien Offline
n00b

I have no idea what my schedule, or the weather, will be like on Monday.
However, if you're free during the day (like, before 2pm) on Monday and my schedule works out and it's DRY AND NOT CRAPPY...I might be willing to drive down to Solon and throw it up in the air.
Unfortunately, I won't probably know much about my schedule until Sunday evening, so there's that.

I would be very grateful to have you look at my car. My schedule is flexible and am available on most days.

According to weather dot com, high temperature is 39 degrees, mostly sunny, zero percent chance of precipitation, wind at 5 mph.

I have messaged you my phone number and address.

Edited by JoeSapien (03/03/18 08:17 PM)

#3895306 - 03/04/18 03:50 PM Re: Cleveland - Check Air Suspension [Re: JoeSapien]
a_d_a_m Offline

3 Orange Whips
Metroplectic

I'll drop you a PM here shortly...

'91 LTD Country Squire (POTM Mar. '19) | '03 Marauder (POTM Nov. '10, Jul. '20) | 2010 P7B (POTM Feb. '21)
formerly: '02 MGM, '04 MGM, '04 MGM v2.0, '04 MM, '07 P71 (POTM Feb. '18), '04 CVLX (POTM Jun. '19 and the best car ever), '03 SAP P71

#3896114 - 03/05/18 12:01 PM Re: Cleveland - Check Air Suspension [Re: JoeSapien]
road_pizza Offline
R.I.P.
Grand Poobah

Loc: somewhere east of Laramie...
Quote:
My usual mechanic told me that he is not interested in this job because of the complexity.

IMHO your regular mechanic is a chickensh!t. RAS is a very simple system to diag and repair as opposed to the 4 wheel systems. If it needs a comp. Ford MSRP is $698.08 but I cut CVN'ers a break, I can sell you one for $523.56, I'll get back to you with labor when service gets back to me. I work in parts at Ganley Lincoln over here in Middleburg Hts.
1985 Marquis LTS, the Unicorn
2011 Road Glide Ultra, the Winnebago

#3896306 - 03/05/18 02:59 PM Re: Cleveland - Check Air Suspension [Re: JoeSapien]
a_d_a_m Offline

3 Orange Whips
Metroplectic

It doesn’t need anything.
Working fine upon arrival.
Think it was just a fluke. Car is clean and bags are mint.

#3896402 - 03/05/18 04:37 PM Re: Cleveland - Check Air Suspension [Re: a_d_a_m]
JoeSapien Offline
n00b

It doesn’t need anything.
Working fine upon arrival.
Think it was just a fluke. Car is clean and bags are mint.

Thank you very much a_d_a_m. You are very kind. It was a honor to meet you today. Very happy to hear the good comments about the RAS of my MGM.

#3896466 - 03/05/18 06:09 PM Re: Cleveland - Check Air Suspension [Re: JoeSapien]
a_d_a_m Offline

3 Orange Whips
Metroplectic

Should be good for many more miles. mercury

#3896826 - 03/05/18 10:15 PM Re: Cleveland - Check Air Suspension [Re: road_pizza]
a_d_a_m Offline

3 Orange Whips
Metroplectic

Apologies for my brevity earlier; was posting from my phone.

Joe, if you ever need a Ford-specific part, this is an incredibly solid lead:
Originally Posted By road_pizza
I work in parts at Ganley Lincoln over here in Middleburg Hts.
I also trusted their service department with a lighting control module recall.

Couple other thoughts per our earlier discussion:
1. Synthetic blend oil is currently on sale at Federated through April 30th. 6 quarts of 5w-20 runs $14.47 plus tax (buy a big 5qt jug + 1 loose quart). Federated doesn't sell Motorcraft or Purolator filters, but I've had good luck with the Hastings brand, which they DO sell.

2. Long's Oil Spray
808 S. Diamond St.
Ravenna, OH 44266
(330) 839-8604

#3897906 - 03/07/18 07:02 AM Re: Cleveland - Check Air Suspension [Re: a_d_a_m]
JoeSapien Offline
n00b

Apologies for my brevity earlier; was posting from my phone.

Joe, if you ever need a Ford-specific part, this is an incredibly solid lead:
Originally Posted By road_pizza
I work in parts at Ganley Lincoln over here in Middleburg Hts.
I also trusted their service department with a lighting control module recall.

Couple other thoughts per our earlier discussion:
1. Synthetic blend oil is currently on sale at Federated through April 30th. 6 quarts of 5w-20 runs $14.47 plus tax (buy a big 5qt jug + 1 loose quart). Federated doesn't sell Motorcraft or Purolator filters, but I've had good luck with the Hastings brand, which they DO sell.

2. Long's Oil Spray
808 S. Diamond St.
Ravenna, OH 44266
(330) 839-8604

I don't think I am going to take my cars to Lube Stop for oil changes anymore. If you had not told me that they had installed oil filter that's not the standard for my MGM, I wouldn't have known about it.

Thanks very much for recommending the oil spray, I have a friend who does this for his cars but I didnt want to impose on him because of his age. So, I am happy to know about Long's Oil Spray. Much obliged.

#3902082 - 03/11/18 09:46 PM Re: Cleveland - Check Air Suspension [Re: Chaplian]
JoeSapien Offline
n00b

Originally Posted By Chaplian
Good morning,

The mechanic says that it may require replacing the air bag suspension with a coil suspension. He suspects that the air compressor may have gone bad.

Total repair estimate is $534 with Monroe coil suspension. Is the estimate fair? Is Monroe coil suspension good? If not, which coil suspension would you recommend.

If he can't diagnose the air bag system, I wouldn't want him working on it.

These systems are actually fairly simple and incredibly reliable. My Crown Vic has 225k on its air suspension, and the only 2 things replaced so far are the rear air bags, and a compressor (which I suspect wasn't needed, just replaced it because it was getting noisy.)

Do NOT convert it to coils. The car will give you an error message on your dash saying the air suspension is faulty. Plus, to fix your issue, it will be cheaper than converting to coils, and you'll maintain your great ride. Converting to coils does worsen the ride.

Might be time to find someone else to work on your car who is familiar with the rear air suspension, or find a local CVNer who is willing to help.

Also, that price is a complete and total ripoff.

Liberty Ford in Solon quoted a rate of $129/hour to to diagnose the air bag system.

#3935074 - 04/22/18 10:19 AM Re: Cleveland - Check Air Suspension [Re: JoeSapien]
JoeSapien Offline
n00b

Today, the check air suspension light came on, again. The compressor is not kicking on. So, the suspension worked well for about 100 miles.

I also noted that the sound from the compressor (when it was working) was a little off. Any ideas or suggestions?

#3935090 - 04/22/18 10:45 AM Re: Cleveland - Check Air Suspension [Re: JoeSapien]
TenTwelve Offline

Loc: Lyndhurst,Ohio
Just replace it all with coils and new shocks. I just did yesterday. Although I used springs that lowered it the ride really hasn't degraded.
2001 LX Sport T-45 with Pier's pedals, Ford Racing Intake Manifold, Marauder MAF and airbox, MO's tune, Thrush glasspacks, Marauder seats, Marauder cluster, Mustang 19" wheels. Sitting lower on cut P71 springs up front and GT500 performance pack springs in the rear.

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Who's Online
0 registered (), 29 Guests and 83 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box

Top Posters (30 Days)
bluejay_32 112
JeffBoudah 89
Armada Master 74
Moby_Vic 73
Old_Guy_Stu 69
Dmblanch 56
DudeAbides 53
a_d_a_m 47
SocalSam 41
Ponyguy 41
Member Spotlight

Copyright 2000-2015 by Crownvic.net and Steve Spaulding. All Rights Reserved.
The photographs, graphics and data contained in this Web site are the properties of the contributors, or Crownvic.net and may not be used without expressed written consent.
Crownvic.net is not affiliated with the Ford motor company.

Happily consuming the fuel saved by Prius owners!