Make payments with PayPal - it's fast, free and secure! registry | CVN on Facebook | tech | news | email login Make payments with PayPal - it's fast, free and secure!

Welcome to CVN - Your Panther platform headquarters!

Custom Search

Page 3 of 107 < 1 2 3 4 5 106 107 >
Topic Options
#4010616 - 04/13/19 10:04 AM Re: Jerry's Crown Victorias [Re: av8or1]
av8or1 Offline

Over the Hill

Loc: TX
With everything that is transpiring at present, I haven't had time to do much with the new LX Sport. I did want to mention however that from the outset I noticed a difference in ride height with this car. Ergo something just didn't seem right about it. So when in Lubbock I took a quick look-see to determine if the air ride had been deleted, as my white 06 had. Yup, no more air ride on this new Sport, springs had been installed. Not a bad thing, at least not for me. I will need to figure out how to rid myself of that pesky "Check Suspension" message that pops up, but that'll come later. More pressing issues to contend with first.

Anyway now that I have it home and have something to compare it against, I eye-balled the rear ride height of Mr. Blue. I then did the same with my other Crown Victorias. Sure enough, my powers of observation haven't gone South just yet. You can readily see the difference in height:

I didn't have time to get into it much but decided to do a quick coil count. Yup, there are 8 + the base on Mr. Blue whereas both Whitey and the 5-O (pronounced "five-ohhhh") both have 6 + the base. What a-holes would do such a thing??!!?! The only good news is that I seem to recall purchasing a set of both front and rear springs from a 2009 CVPI that a guy was parting out. Can't recall where I put them, but when I can get back onto my projects I'll go-searching. That said ...

Well SOB. You know, the more I look at this car, the more disdain I develop for the previous owners. So far what I've seen is that they have:

1) Elevated the rear end such that the profile has a tail-up, nose-down appearance about it
2) Ruined the ride performance by doing #1, if not done damage therein
3) Installed a CHEAP, RIDICULOUS aftermarket stereo "system", did so ON THE CHEAP and employed incredibly abysmal installation skill in the process
4) Gave the car warts and welts on its body and judging from their location and severity did so with little regard for the car
5) Did a cheap-ass respray on both the driver's side fender and front bumper cover, while neglecting to repair the damage to the actual bumper itself
6) Neglected to repair the damage to the core support
7) Couldn't be bothered to install a new windshield wiper bottle nor its tubing (there's nothing leaving the bottle and running along the fender to the fluid nozzles BTW)
8) Treated the interior with about as much care as the exterior, as the floor mats are missing, the headliner material is pulling away from its body at the front, the visors won't remain in the upright position (nor full-down but right in the middle where you will repeatedly hit your head when you sit in the seat, ask me how I know), the seats are worn and in some cases torn, the console cover has separated from its body and the list goes on

Ok I'll stop. And that is just the short list of the crap I've encountered thus far. Who knows what else awaits me...sigh. Makes me want to barf2

I'd like to see whomever did this to an otherwise beautiful Sport be burned at the stake, then unceremoniously shot, then drug around behind Mr. Blue, the very vehicle they abused, for a few blocks, then ... well you get the picture. I'm none too pleased with those so-called "people". biggrin

Thanks,
Jerry

Edited by av8or1 (04/13/19 10:09 AM)
1985 Mazda RX7 GSL-SE
1970 Plymouth Road Runner A383 pistol grip tick-tock buckets

#4011168 - 04/19/19 12:24 AM Re: Jerry's Crown Victorias [Re: av8or1]
av8or1 Offline

Over the Hill

Well what little free time I've had lately has been spent on the gantry project. However today I managed to return to the same guy from whom I purchased the set of parts last week. He didn't have everything I needed but would get it by this week, so I went back for more. This was today's haul (as modest as it is):

I picked up a new-to-me windshield fluid bottle, its tubing, an in-good-condition windage tray with the squirter tubing in-tact (because the hose from the existing bottle on the blue LX is flat-out missing - boy but the previous owners were $#@^&@-heads) and a replacement passenger's side bottom window trim. While I was at it I picked up four more of those, primarily because they are so easy to remove. And speaking of that, for anyone who at some point in the future conducts an Internet search to attempt to determine how to remove one of these critters, I will tell you that removing said door trim is quite easy. It is held on with one 7/16 or 11mm nut:

And that nut is on the back of the front door(s) and on the front of the rear door(s), outside of the panel. Ergo you don't need to remove said panel to get to the nut to remove this piece of trim. Once this nut is removed, the trim itself can then be removed by hand with little force. From beneath on the passenger's front door, it looks like this:

On this particular piece of trim, the small-ish captive bolt that is housed within the trim piece was broken off, and thus the reason that the trim had separated from the door:

Anyway here is the before:

And the after:

This trim piece will have to be removed again at some point in the future, as there is a small dent near the rear of the door, immediately under the trim. My openly-sarcastic guess was that some a-hole attempted to slim-jim their way into the car and this was the result.

Ah don't get me started. Anyway, this is a way-simple repair. However I chose to illustrate it just a bit because the Internet search I did in order to find out how to remove this trim piece wasn't that clear (for example one description stated that there were two nuts, not one - and maybe on earlier models that is the case, I don't know ... another claimed that the door panel needed to be removed, etc.) and none of them had any pictures. So I hope this helps someone at some point in the future.

Thanks,
Jerry
1985 Mazda RX7 GSL-SE

#4011408 - 04/21/19 01:00 AM Re: Jerry's Crown Victorias [Re: av8or1]
av8or1 Offline

Over the Hill

I didn't have the time I wanted tonight after running the family around all day to do the work I planned on the gantry, so I decided to tear into the front end of Ol' Blue to replace the bumper (not the cover but the bumper) and the core support. The first step was to separate the replacement bumper and core support from the donor piece:

Now time to get to work. The ground-zero starting point (save that I had already removed the driver's side headlight, etc.):

Bumper removed:

Front valance removed:

So things were clipping along rather nicely and easy. However the sun was setting and dark was coming soon. Working outside at night in TEXAS can be a pain, depending on the time of year due to the little flying critters who like to take a bite out of you. I don't have any space to move Ol' Blue inside somewhere, so I decided to close up shop for the night. And that's when things went South and in a hurry.

Somehow, and I still don't know how, I missed the fact that the hood, like the front bumper cover and the driver's side fender, is not original to the car. The evidence of said fact is blatantly obvious:

Uhhhhhhhh...yeah, that color is not DX - Dark Blue Pearl. Hell it has a tag revealing that it came off of a 2009. At that point I backed off, sat down and wondered - yet again - what the ever-lovin-hell I had gotten myself into. Mind you, I don't want to come across as melodramatic ... yes, I realize that Ol' Blue could have worse issues, I get it ... however there have been some shoddy repairs made to her to say the least. Couple that with possible attempts to mask both that and the underlying damage either associated or unassociated with said repairs and you would have cause for concern, or so I would assert. Granted, I knew she needed work when I bought it and as (I think) I have said I would have passed on the opportunity to do so if she wasn't a 2006 LX Sport. Hell I would have ran away, even without noticing the half-assed paint job on the hood.

All that said what concerns me at this point is the "what else" WRT what is actually wrong with Ol' Blue once you peel back the veneer and take a closer look, which I am forced to do.

I dunno fellas. wtf

For me this is beginning to smell of a complete rebuild, or at least in that ballpark. While that's a cool project, I have other projects that I would rather focus on and as a family man, only so much (or I should say "little") time to work on them. This particular one has kinda risen to the pseudo-top because the wife wants this LX Sport instead of her white one, and wants it because she likes the color better. I think I've mentioned that, but I'm so disgusted by what the previous owners did to this car spank that I can't be bothered to revisit my old posts to determine whether or not I've indeed already shared that tidbit. I mean HELL ... if you're gonna rat-out, poorly repair and otherwise abuse a Crown Victoria, at least do it on an old, municipality (read city-patrol) car that's kinda halfway there anyway (not that there's anything wrong with those cars, just sayin'). Don't do it to what - at least at some point - was a nice 2006 LX Sport with a factory pearl paint job!

And with that I'll step down off the soap box. But crap when you see sheet like this where the passenger's side fender has the proper gusset tubing mounted to the core support:

And then you find its counterpart MOTHER LOVIN MISSING on the driver's side where the damage and subsequent so-called "repair" took place:

Not to mention that the removal of the top two fore-located fender bolts causes said fender to widen even further, thusly:

And while we're at it, just what the HELL was this crap? (and yes, it was obvious, but I'm illustrating it anyway)

Ah yes, more sheet from the abysmally-poor aftermarket stereo installation. Something that I'm sure some trusspot thought was an "upgrade" no doubt:

Well ... 'nuff said. Stuff like that just doesn't give you much confidence that any of the previous owners did any due diligence WRT the car's health and longevity. Instead they used-n-abused it to serve their own purposes. And there I go again ... ok, getting down off the soap box yet again.

Sigh.

Although I carried the new fender and core support over to Ol' Blue to install them, after thinking about it, I've decided to forego that half of the work at this point. Instead I'll delay that until I have a better grasp on the extent of her issues and the work that will be required to restore Ol' Blue to her former glory. Which I intend to do (and I think I've said this too) with genuine Ford parts. None of this cheap (possibly Chinese) aftermarket BS.

So for me the next step will be a compression test of the engine, then an oil change. I want to take a closer look at that oil...

Hell I've already decided that Ol' Blue needs a tranny rebuild, or possibly a replacement, so why not be certain that the same isn't true regarding the engine? The parts guy I know has an 07 transmission from a CVPI that was a detective's car. That particular car suffered a rear end collision, so it is now merely for-parts-only. The engine and tranny are great (low mileage/idle hour vehicle), so I may just replace Ol' Blue's tranny with the one from the 07. Since the donor would come from the appropriate model year range, it should just be a plug-n-play; though I don't know if the shift points vary that much from the civilian to the police variants of these transmissions...more research is needed there.

Anyway thanks,
Jerry

ps-And if anyone knows where I could get a cover for the spare tire (in the trunk) I'd appreciate a reference...

Edited by av8or1 (04/21/19 01:29 AM)
1985 Mazda RX7 GSL-SE

#4011438 - 04/22/19 12:31 AM Re: Jerry's Crown Victorias [Re: av8or1]
av8or1 Offline

Over the Hill

Quick update. Spent the majority of what free time I had working on the gantry project but did manage to get around to running the compression test on Ol' Blue, though it took me into the night to finish it up.

And hmmmmmmmmm...well it's somewhere in the middle. Not crap but not great either. The numbers:

1-140
2-170
3-160
4-190
5-150
6-190
7-190
8-190

Because my other crown victorias have been running well I haven't bothered to delve into the details regarding compression testing on the 4.6L. However an engine is an engine and for my tastes those numbers have too much variance between #1 and #4, #6-#9. Sure, you could run it like that for a while and probably not have much of an issue. And IIRC from when I first bought my CVPI, Ford doesn't specify a PSI range for the 4.6L; instead they rely on variance. I think their number is 10% IIRC. And this is clearly not within that range. FWIW, I had the battery on a charger to get roughly the same engine crank RPM, WOT and the same 7 seconds on each run. I did re-try #1 in various scenarios, but the numbers came out about the same each time. So it's definitely lower than the others.

So what to do? Not sure yet. Do I want to put my wife in that? Eh, likely not. We'll see.

And of course about half of the boots broke upon removal. The spark plugs are Motorcraft and given their condition and the car's history I wondered if they had EVER been changed:

Anyway that's where things are. 'Will stick with the plan of holding off on the core support and bumper replacement. 'Bigger fish to fry on this project...

Thanks,
Jerry
1985 Mazda RX7 GSL-SE

#4011492 - 04/23/19 12:45 AM Re: Jerry's Crown Victorias [Re: av8or1]
av8or1 Offline

Over the Hill

Only had enough time today to work on something small-ish, so I decided to replace the rear springs with the set from a CVPI that I picked up some time ago. 'Cept I couldn't find them. Sigh. Another run out to a local parts guy and I had a set ready to swap. Yeah, these two sets of springs are indeed different. The old, tail-too-high-in-the-air set is on the left:

And if any of the Internet safety police are reading, yes I took the time to set Ol' Blue on jackstands:

And chocked the front wheels:

I recommend that anyone attempting this do the same.

Well poop. I actually forgot to take a before and after picture, but rest assured, the ride height was much improved with this swap.

While I'm here I thought I'd mention the high-level stuff I've noticed about Ol' Blue.
This is another one of those projects where the car needs a LOT of little things and some big things too. For example, the gearshift gaiter was mushed out of place and the previous owner couldn't be bothered to straighten 'er up (and BTW just HOW did you do that to the gaiter in the first place?!??!? Wait...I don't wanna know):

Just a little fiddling sets things right again:

The handle on the driver's door panel is coming apart, the passenger's front door window won't quite remain in the fully-up position (and is inop at the moment to boot), the door lock cover is missing on the driver's front door, no floor mats, some of the lugnuts have seen better days (the one has had its head caved in, and most of them have their edges rounded a bit):

And the list goes on. And if that wasn't enough, the car reeks of some gigolo type "dude", which means that it was owned by some lame-o who wore too much cologne. Bathed in it is more like it. And that concept goes hand-in-pants with the fact that I've found still-sealed-in-their-package condoms in the trunk and then again today *underneath* the center console. Then the cheesy, see-through, glitter-bombed wiring, the jacked-up ass end, the neglected maintenance and repairs, etc. ad nauseum and I dunno ... the puzzle just seems to come together somehow. Hell the friggin rear shocks are Motorcraft and even they somehow seem to be original parts, though that is difficult for me to comprehend, even for the tool that owned Ol' Blue before I found her. In short, I think the overall condition of the car as I am discovering it is, unfortunately, much like the following picture of what I found when I pulled apart the center console:

And that's the cleaned-up version of what was there. 'Jest a mess, fellas, a dirty crappy neglected mess. Not so bad that it can't be brought back IMHO however, and the wife likes the color, so here I go.

And speaking of the other half, she has said (and I can't recall if I've mentioned this yet or not) that she wants to swap the interior from the white LX Sport into this one. That's fine by me because I planned on removing all of it anyway just to get a good, deep clean. However, there are miles to go before I'm ready for that. I'll tell ya, it really makes me appreciate the white 06 that I bought from Florida ... hell that was a sight-unseen purchase and it outclasses this hunk-a-bunk without tryin'.

Ok enough whining for one day. wink

Anyway.

Thanks,

Jerry

Edited by av8or1 (04/23/19 12:51 AM)
1985 Mazda RX7 GSL-SE

#4011552 - 04/23/19 06:21 PM Re: Jerry's Crown Victorias [Re: av8or1]
BigMerc96 Offline

I know nothing
Posting Addict

Loc: I can see Detroit from here!
Those plugs are original. The paint on the ends is the giveaway clue.

That type of factory lugnut is garbage, they round off if you look at them wrong. If you're in the rust belt they get rust between the nut and the chromed pressed on cap which causes it to swell up and ruin your night at 1am on the side of the freeway with a flat in a not-happy area because the lug wrench doesn't fit anymore. Yeah, I hate those 2-piece lug nuts. That's why I threw all of mine away and replaced them with solid ones when I rotated the tires on my '98 for the first time.

2006 Audi A6 ~132k miles, stock.
1998 Mercury Grand Marquis LS HPP ~100k miles, slowly acquiring modifications.
1997 Town Car Cartier ~145k miles, Ported Plenum, Gutted Airbox, Contour E-fan Retrofit, Dual exhaust with Magnaflows, cats deleted, MSD Ignition, KYB Gas-A-Justs, P71 front bar, air ride reinstated, Projector retrofit, Caddy 4-note horn retrofit, Wood rim steering wheel retrofit, holistic weight reduction as the parts fall off..
1996 Mercury Grand Marquis GS 117,485mi. R.I.P. 7/14/12 frown

#4011602 - 04/23/19 11:41 PM Re: Jerry's Crown Victorias [Re: av8or1]
av8or1 Offline

Over the Hill

BigMerc96-

Ok, good to know WRT the plugs. I saw the paint but didn't know what to make of it. Now I know. And I'm not surprised that they have never been changed, given what I am seeing of Ol' Blue thus far. Hell #6 was virtually stuck in the head; it took a couple of quick bursts from an impact to get it to budge. And learning this regarding the spark plugs gives lie to the notion that the rear shocks are original equipment too. They sure as heck give that appearance, and have the condition to match. Ergo they need replacement.

As for those lugnuts, yeah I did the same actually. I had about 20 or so that I picked up off of a CVPI at a salvage yard a year or so ago, so I secured the rear wheels with those after replacing the springs. I was wondering if it was just me or if these rounded off too easily. I was using a 6-point of the correct size (21mm IIRC, maybe 13/16, I don't recall now) and they were STILL rounding off. I grew weary of that rather quickly and decided that the snazzy look they yield wasn't worth the PITA cost that came with it. Glad to know that it wasn't just me! biggrin

Managed to take a quick snapshot of Ol' Blue this afternoon. The ride height is much improved:

Thanks,
Jerry
1985 Mazda RX7 GSL-SE

#4011606 - 04/24/19 12:39 AM Re: Jerry's Crown Victorias [Re: av8or1]
av8or1 Offline

Over the Hill

Quick follow-up: I forgot to mention that during the past couple of days I (seem to) have learned that the fender gussets I mentioned a few posts ago are an LX thing. Ergo, they weren't installed on the CVPIs. I checked all of the cars that the parts guy I know had, which are all CVPIs. None of those were equipped with said gussets. They are sans-present on my 2010, but whitey (the first non-CVPI I've owned and the wife's current car) has them on both sides. Thus from that way-limited data pool of about 30 cars, I'm a-gonna say that they were installed on the civilian versions of these cars only.

Anyone have any confirmation or contradiction to offer?

Thanks!
Jerry
1985 Mazda RX7 GSL-SE

#4011620 - 04/24/19 09:08 AM Re: Jerry's Crown Victorias [Re: av8or1]
BigMerc96 Offline

I know nothing
Posting Addict

Interesting, because my buddy's '05 CVPI has/had them, which is the newest P71 I've paid any attention too. I figured they all had em cuz they don't seem like the kind of thing Ford would decontent.

1997 Town Car Cartier ~145k miles, Ported Plenum, Gutted Airbox, Contour E-fan Retrofit, Dual exhaust with Magnaflows, cats deleted, MSD Ignition, KYB Gas-A-Justs, P71 front bar, air ride reinstated, Projector retrofit, Caddy 4-note horn retrofit, Wood rim steering wheel retrofit, holistic weight reduction as the parts fall off..

#4011790 - 04/25/19 11:55 PM Re: Jerry's Crown Victorias [Re: av8or1]
av8or1 Offline

Over the Hill

Hmmmmm...well I checked three more CVPIs today. One was a 2008, another was 2009 and the last 2011. All were missing both fender gussets. So I dunno what that means...were both fenders replaced on all of the ~33 CVPIs that I have seen and when that was done the fender gussets were not reinstalled? Or did they stop installing them after a certain year model? Difficult question(s).

Would be interesting to hear what someone at Ford had to say about the matter!

Anyway thanks,
Jerry
1985 Mazda RX7 GSL-SE

#4011860 - 04/26/19 06:28 PM Re: Jerry's Crown Victorias [Re: av8or1]
BigMerc96 Offline

I know nothing
Posting Addict

They mighta stopped using them. I mean, its not really needed, and it saves them $1 per car on a car that's more or less fleet only be that point.

#4011898 - 04/27/19 01:05 AM Re: Jerry's Crown Victorias [Re: av8or1]
av8or1 Offline

Over the Hill

Yeah I'd be inclined to go with the stopped-installing-them theory too. I plan on visiting the salvage yard in the near future. It'll be interesting to see what's there (they have some new arrivals) but of course, if it's in a salvage yard ... well in a way all bets are off. +1 for not really needed. And while we're at it, here is a another picture of what we're discussing:

I removed it tonight after work because I had 'a think' during the after-work haul-it-back-to-the-shack adventure about how this project is progressing. The rough, pseudo-conclusion that I came to is that yes, given the condition of Ol' Blue and what I am finding as I begin to tear her apart, it's a gut-job. Or at least in the ballpark. So with that in mind when I got home I put on the coveralls and went to work (with the time I had - always scarce that time thing).

To begin, I decided that I'd start by removing everything up front (or most everything anyway) since that makes access easier. At least in my experience it does. And that's about how much daylight I had left, so off I went. At this point I think I had the A/C (which was uncharged, it wasn't working) lines disconnected and the coolant drained. The transmission cooler lines were off too I think, but you of course can't see those in the picture:

Then the cooling equipment came out:

Then the core support. We're starting to rack up a good pile-o-parts here:

All of which I plan to replace with new BTW, 'cept possibly the fan and its shroud, they're TBD. And after plugging/covering-up holes and tubing, this is where I left things for the night:

Not sure what's next, but probably the fenders. The driver's side one bellowed outboard even further with the core support fully removed. Egad. I suppose the only good news was/is that once things were out I crawled underneath the front of Ol' Blue and took a pretty close look-see at her frame to see if I spotted any damage/distortion. Neit, niente, nothing. At least nothing forward of the front axle anyway. So that's to-the-good, obviously. It'll be interesting to see exactly what the cause of the driver's side fender's proclivity to jut outward is...

The general operating plan that I have at this point ... or at least what I am considering doing at the moment (subject to change) ... is to first complete the gantry project, then resume work on Ol' Blue.

The purpose of that would be to have the tooling necessary to facilitate a "clean" drivetrain extraction (beyond the use of my engine hoist). That is, I'd remove the remaining core support item (which is a wiring loom) then the hood and the fenders altogether. That done, I'd put the gantry to work with its first assignment being to remove the engine and the tranny from Ol' Blue as one unit. Set them on some spare tires, separate them, hoist the engine back up and put it on the stand (I happen to have a stand with no engine on it, so the timing works out).

At that point, I'd send the tranny off for a rebuild or possibly just go with the one from the 2007 CVPI.

Regarding the engine, I've been considering limiting the work there to just a head job for Ol' Blue's 4.6L. However to speak openly of all the times I've attempted that with the hope that it would resolve a compression issue, it never did and I ended up rebuilding the bottom end anyway. So I dunno. Maybe a close inspection of the pan might provide some direction. Eh ... TBD.

Drivetrain aside, I'd proceed with the swap of the interior between Whitey and Ol' Blue, being certain to give the latter a thorough bath prior to the install. Still need to figure out what to do regarding the trunk, as the liner has seen better days and the full-size spare tire cover is missing (which I think I've indirectly mentioned). The good news there is that Ryan has mentioned via PM that he thinks he has the tire cover, so I could be in the green on that end of things.

Body-wise, I'd need to source a replacement for the driver's fender and possibly the hood. Then install them and see what the gaps look like. Once that's on the mend, prepare for paint. 'Probably do that before I swap in the interior now that I have thrown out my game plan and given it a few cycles via this stream-of-consciousness post. biggrin

Finally, I would purchase all of the replacement parts that I cared to and put Ol' Blue back together. Charge the A/C (gotta have a working A/C in TEXAS), fill the fluids and take 'er for a test drive (possibly several).

Ok enough yap for tonight. That's the loose plan. For now. Subject to change. And change might indeed come. wink

Anyway thanks,
Jerry

Edited by av8or1 (04/27/19 01:19 AM)
1985 Mazda RX7 GSL-SE

#4012054 - 04/28/19 09:21 AM Re: Jerry's Crown Victorias [Re: av8or1]
BigMerc96 Offline

I know nothing
Posting Addict

Is the drivers side fender factory or aftermarket? Not uncommon for aftermarket ones to just be "not quite right" and line up funky like yours is doing. If its a 2nd hand factory fender then more than likely it was installed incorrectly, its damaged, or worst case there's some damage in the a-pillar area where it mounts although I'd expect the door to be messed up too if that were the case.

#4012160 - 04/29/19 12:55 AM Re: Jerry's Crown Victorias [Re: av8or1]
av8or1 Offline

Over the Hill

BigMerc96- Thank you for the feedback ... well the answer from me is "I dunno". At least that's what I have at this point because I simply haven't gotten that far yet. Determining the cause is on the agenda but I've been focused on other things thus far. Prior to loosening any bolts, the door opened and closed cleanly. I don't recall there being a gap issue between the fender and the door. However in its current state, there is a binding noise each time I open the driver's door, so until I can get around to removing that fender and having a good look-see, I'm avoiding opening that door. So. TBD for now. Thanks again.

Speaking of opening doors, most days I just leave the remaining three doors open in order to attempt to ventilate-out the don-juan-waff (read "stank") from Ol' Blue. It's helped, but I think that the only real solution will be the removal of the interior altogether. A deep cleaning might save the carpet, but I dunno, I'm tempted to just replace it. Dunno if you can get a Crown Victoria interior carpet/headliner and just install them or if you'd need to go custom. Something else this gem-of-a-find will force me to research. biggrin I intend to have the seats reupholstered and reuse them on a different project. For my wife however, she'll just get the entire interior from Whitey, 'cept for the dash most likely. If I go that route, I will be well-served to invest in a new steering wheel, as our romeo-homie-guy left the existing one in "well used" condition. The good news is that the interiors match: both are KJ, Light Camel so the swap is like-for-like.

As mentioned, I headed out to a salvage yard today. Came home with a modest parts haul:

Though the total still came out close to $200 ... funny how even salvage parts can get pricey. The vents are for my Ford F-series trucks, so ignore those. The mirrors are heated and powered, but were on a 2003 CVPI, so I thought that was interesting. Since they were there and relatively cheap, I decided to pick up some additional window trim bits (bottom) and their hardware. And speaking of the window trim, just in case you were like me and wondering "...well if the bottom trim is held on by form-fit and an 11mm nut, how is the remainder of the trim held in place?" The answer is by riveting, thus:

At least that was the case with the 2009 model shown in the picture. The remainder of the haul included a new driver's side inner front fender well. The existing one is crap, as you may have noticed in other pictures:

This one came off of the same 2003 CVPI as the mirrors and was in surprisingly good condition. A little cleaning and a rub down with some keep-your-plasti-stuff-looking-like-new goo and she'll be a nice replacement. While I was on this 2003 CVPI I just happened to remember that Ol' Blue's air cleaner intake tube was also looking as though it was missing some front teeth so I picked up a good replacement:

And finally the driver's door lock rod was missing its plastic cover, so I dug into an 06 CVPI and secured a replacement:

You might recall that I stated that Ol' Blue was gonna need both large-scale work as well as a bunch of the pesky little stuff too. The above are good examples of some of the latter. Just little things that are indicative of previous owner(s) who just didn't give a crap. They're also the types of things that discriminating owners such as myself and I suspect the majority of crownvic.net members would notice. We'd want those things corrected, not just left in a poor state of existence. There are more like this with Ol' Blue; as time goes by I'll share more details regarding that aspect of the work, but for now you likely get the idea.

Anyway, thanks.
Jerry

Edited by av8or1 (04/29/19 12:59 AM)
1985 Mazda RX7 GSL-SE

#4012240 - 04/29/19 10:28 PM Re: Jerry's Crown Victorias [Re: av8or1]
av8or1 Offline

Over the Hill

Didn't have much time tonight but I fiddled around with the few minutes I had. I noticed that the driver's fender was not secured to the firewall bracket:

I also noticed that the fender gusset (from the firewall) seemed misaligned. These could contribute to the issue, but somehow it seemed like the root of the problem lied near the A-pillar. BigMerc96 I sure hope that your premonition does not prove-out as truth. nono TBD.

My mother hasn't been doing all that well, so if all goes to plan we're headed out tomorrow for a visit. 'Will be offline for a few days. Till then y'all take care.

Jerry
1985 Mazda RX7 GSL-SE

Page 3 of 107 < 1 2 3 4 5 106 107 >

Moderator:  BigMerc96 
Who's Online
3 registered (a_d_a_m, 2 invisible), 39 Guests and 98 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box

Top Posters (30 Days)
bluejay_32 70
SocalSam 63
Old_Guy_Stu 58
hot__box 56
a_d_a_m 54
2011CVPI 53
RF_Overlord 41
Dmblanch 38
GrumpMarky 37
hkerekes 33
Member Spotlight

Copyright 2000-2015 by Crownvic.net and Steve Spaulding. All Rights Reserved.
The photographs, graphics and data contained in this Web site are the properties of the contributors, or Crownvic.net and may not be used without expressed written consent.
Crownvic.net is not affiliated with the Ford motor company.

Happily consuming the fuel saved by Prius owners!