Make payments with PayPal - it's fast, free and secure! registry | CVN on Facebook | tech | news | email login Make payments with PayPal - it's fast, free and secure!

Welcome to CVN - Your Panther platform headquarters!

Custom Search

Topic Options
#4005658 - 02/28/19 07:46 AM EGR deletion
repentarms Offline
n00b

Loc: NC
This is most likely a noob question, but that’s cool, because I am a noob, after all. The previous owner of my 88 had BBK shorty headers installed, and at the same time, apparently disconnected everything attached to the EGR spacer.

With that being the case, and since the car runs like a sewing machine without it connected, would it be feasible to just remove the spacer and bolt the throttle body directly to the intake plenum?
2010 ex-NCHP interceptor. Silver birch. Deleted rear cats, factory H pipe, 2 Flowmaster 40s, extended chrome tips. Mach 1 chin spoiler, AFE cold air, Kenwood bluetooth/DVD head unit, 4 Kenwood 6x8s, Kicker CompR 2x12 sub w/1200w Kicker amp. Foose F105 Legend 20" wheels. Dropped 1.5" all around. Custom bluetooth LED pods behind grill and under dash/seats. LED headlights.

1988 Crown Vic LX. All original except BBK Mustang shorty headers, H pipe, 2.5" custom pipe with crazy Flowmaster 10s, turned down under trunk. Smog pump deleted. Sony head unit and Kicker 6x9/5.25/3.25 speakers. Total inside and out LED conversion.

#4005742 - 02/28/19 11:44 PM Re: EGR deletion [Re: repentarms]
Bellwestern80 Offline

CVN Discord: Edsel
Over the Hill

Loc: Evans, Georgia
The throttle/transmission line bracket bolts to the EGR spacer.

Best thing to do would just get a block off plate and use one of those EGR sensor foolery devices they sell to get that squared up if you're not trying to get the EGR functional again.

My Cars:
-1964 Mercury Comet 202 (116K Miles | 170 I6) - Awaiting Repairs in a Cozy Garage
-1987 Mercury Colony Park LS (330K Miles | H.O. 302) - March 2017 POTM Winner & November 2019 POTM Winner
-1997 Mercury Grand Marquis LS (225K Miles | nPI 4.6) - The Daily Workhorse & April 2013 POTM Winner

Do not become complacent with VerticalScope "working" in the background.

#4005812 - 03/01/19 07:30 PM Re: EGR deletion [Re: repentarms]
88grandmarq Offline

4R70W rebuilder
Poobah

Loc: Indiana
Originally Posted By repentarms
This is most likely a noob question, but that’s cool, because I am a noob, after all. The previous owner of my 88 had BBK shorty headers installed, and at the same time, apparently disconnected everything attached to the EGR spacer.

With that being the case, and since the car runs like a sewing machine without it connected, would it be feasible to just remove the spacer and bolt the throttle body directly to the intake plenum?

I dont recommend deleting the EGR, here some words of wisdom from my engine tuner from years ago....

Quote:
"you shouldn't run the block-off unless you're either not running EGR or there's an alternate supply for it, because.....the fuel management strategy assumes the presence of a functioning EGR system and you'll get an overly lean part-throttle cruise if you block it off and don't have a chip tune to tell the computer not to...and when you have a lean part-throttle cruise, the EEC picks that information up from the O2 sensors and adds fuel. But it doesn't just add fuel to part-throttle cruise operation, it adds compensating fuel even during open-loop (non-O2-feedback) conditions such as startup, idle, and WOT.

Short story is since the EEC assumes a functioning EGR, and if you haven't instructed it otherwise, you're setting yourself up for rich running and resulting performance/driveability issues by blocking off its flow."
88 Grand Marquis LS - The original - Totaled 5/2006

I rebuild AODE/4R70W/4R75E Transmissions, check out my Facebook page for my latest project; https://www.facebook.com/Ford-transmission-repairs-Jmod-348414635312478/

#4013760 - 05/12/19 10:15 AM Re: EGR deletion [Re: repentarms]
Bluwaggo Offline

Tell me about alternate EGR provisions? What other setups can be run? I ask because I noticed the supply end of my EGR has a big ole hole in it. I want to run some shorty headers anyway, but I also understand what you're saying about fuel trim compensation, so...wat do?

#4013866 - 05/12/19 10:33 PM Re: EGR deletion [Re: Bluwaggo]
Doctor_Drag Offline
Rookie

Loc: Aiken, SC
Keep the EGR valve installed and the position sensor plugged in. You can have the vacuum source disconnected and plugged, no problem.

The system functions as follows: at steady throttle cruise speed, the ECM commands the vacuum control solenoid, that supplies vacuum to the EGR, to open. The ECM monitors the position of the valve with the position sensor that is mounted to the valve. When all is normal and functional: the ECM commands vacuum supply solenoid to open, vacuum is supplied to the EGR diaphragm, EGR valve opens, ECM sees signal voltage from the EGR position sensor change-confirming proper operation, then and ONLY then does the ECM advance the ignition timing.

If the EGR is commanded open and the position sensor does NOT change, then timing is not advanced. The purpose of the system is to increase fuel economy...as exhaust gasses are inert, it allows the advancing of the timing without pinging. When disabled properly, it causes no problems and will NOT cause any lean issues. As for fuel economy, the loss will be negligible, you’ll have a hard time quantifying any loss.

Moral of the story...keep the EGR in place, with its sensor plugged in and you’ll be fine with the vacuum source removed.
'85 CV coupe- 3G upgrade, PI rear sway bar, 140mph speedo, T-5 swap, '00 CVPI booster&MC, '99 CVPI front brakes/hubs, '95-97 spindles, 92-94 upper arms/ball-joints, '09 CVPI rear disc, Wilwood adj prop valve, 3.73 T-lock, 17" mustang wheels, 351W, Fast EZ-EFI, worked GT40 irons, Comp 265DEH cam retarded 1*, Crane 1.7rr's, PP Typhoon upper and lower intake fully ported and polished(42hrs worth), 75mm t/b, Marauder intake tube & airbox, Mallory Hy-Fire6, Taylor ThunderVolt 50 10.4mm wires, 2.5" dual exhaust and other stuff...

#4013900 - 05/13/19 07:30 AM Re: EGR deletion [Re: repentarms]
Bluwaggo Offline

Block it off at both ends but leave it plugged in so the ECM doesn't know any better. I can do that. Thanks, Man!

Who's Online
2 registered (Traffic22, LTC_Dave), 59 Guests and 284 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box

Top Posters (30 Days)
bluejay_32 159
Old_Guy_Stu 88
CrystalPistol 80
a_d_a_m 77
TheCableGuy 57
DudeAbides 53
Ponyguy 49
Moby_Vic 47
Bangster 46
RF_Overlord 46
Member Spotlight

Copyright 2000-2015 by Crownvic.net and Steve Spaulding. All Rights Reserved.
The photographs, graphics and data contained in this Web site are the properties of the contributors, or Crownvic.net and may not be used without expressed written consent.
Crownvic.net is not affiliated with the Ford motor company.

Happily consuming the fuel saved by Prius owners!