Make payments with PayPal - it's fast, free and secure! registry | CVN on Facebook | tech | news | email login Make payments with PayPal - it's fast, free and secure!

Welcome to CVN - Your Panther platform headquarters!

Custom Search

Topic Options
#4023832 - 07/22/19 02:26 PM Why we love our Merc
CrystalPistol Offline
Over the Hill

Loc: Shenandoah Valley
Our 2001 Mercury Grand Marquis LS is not a rare or special edition car, but we bought it new in 2001 to have a car suitable for carrying passengers on drives. An '85 Thunderbird was just crowded on the road. In the early years, I augmented suspension with shocks and sway bars, added factory duals, J-modded it, trans cooler added in line, up graded wheels, etc. As I write this, she has 92,xxx mostly highway miles. She has carried us safely and comfortably to other states, even California and back home, always getting 25-27 MPG doing it. AC blows cold if asked.

We have a lot of memories in the car.

Rt 66 west of Luther, Ok. Old rock gas station once had a printing press for making money back in the '30s. I figure B&C even stopped in some time.

Rt 66 in far western NM near Arizona ahead, Manualito. Recall the movie "Ace in the Hole"?

Rt 66 west of Oatman, Az. Old gold country.

WigWam in Holbrook, Az.

Old Rt 66 in Oklahoma.

Whiting Gas Station.

Near Needles, Ca.

Rt 50 in Nevada...

Arches Nat Park

Wild Rose Pass, west Texas ...

Headed to Monument Valley …

OLD Rt 66 segment.

Chabless, Ca.

Rt 50 Utah …

Bagdad Cafee was here …

Rt 66 Az.

Budville….

OK, I quit.

Edited by CrystalPistol (07/22/19 02:37 PM)

WTH?

facepalm I signed it ...
... and now my name appears in "Fat Sharpie Red " across my screen. shrug

#4023870 - 07/22/19 06:55 PM Re: Why we love our Merc [Re: CrystalPistol]
hot__box Offline

Over the Hill

Loc: Bayou State
Sweet ride that’s been well kept. ff

Post some pics with the sport rims !

#4023884 - 07/22/19 07:48 PM Re: Why we love our Merc [Re: hot__box]
CrystalPistol Offline
Over the Hill

Originally Posted By hot__box

Thank you.

Want to, but before we got to take another trip like those out west, but just after putting 17s on, I had a "health issue" pop up. Chemo, stem cell X-plant … and I'm doing hugely better, so maybe this fall or next spring?

We can hope! smile I know, need to get out more. Used her a few times last couple years for visiting family down in Floyd County too.

For now, have some from shorter drives more local:

Loft Mtn on Skyline Drive in 2016

Looking east from overlook on Skyline Drive June 2016:

At family's home June 2017. Fence post looks like part of car at back, sorry. Also, glass all looks tinted when rolled up, but I removed tint from front glasses several years ago, rears tinted to near legal limit in Va. 34% as I recall. laugh

Sig pic below is from overlook at Draper Valley south of Pulaski, Va. on Rt 11.

Edited by CrystalPistol (07/22/19 08:24 PM)

WTH?

facepalm I signed it ...

#4023976 - 07/23/19 09:40 AM Re: Why we love our Merc [Re: CrystalPistol]
hot__box Offline

Over the Hill

Loc: Bayou State
Man I love those wheels on that car! Sorry to hear about your hiccup, but glad you’re doing better.

Yes I had to look twice, I though there was a bike rack on the back in that last picture lol.

Why’d you remove the tint from the front windows? One of the things I was going to say from looking at the first pictures, because I couldn’t really tell, was you should definitely tint those windows a bit. They looked like they had light tint but I wasn’t sure.

#4024000 - 07/23/19 12:09 PM Re: Why we love our Merc [Re: hot__box]
CrystalPistol Offline
Over the Hill

Man I love those wheels on that car! Sorry to hear about your hiccup, but glad you’re doing better.

Yes I had to look twice, I though there was a bike rack on the back in that last picture lol. laugh

Why’d you remove the tint from the front windows?
Thank you, and yes, am doing quite well now.
If I had paid a bit more attention, I'd have stepped a step left and the fence post wouldn't be seen.
The tint was adding friction to glass, slowed them a bit going down & up. Only put tint on for trips out west anyway. Was a job removing tint & glue from glass.

Edited by CrystalPistol (07/23/19 12:11 PM)

WTH?

facepalm I signed it ...

#4031640 - 09/22/19 09:06 PM Re: Why we love our Merc [Re: CrystalPistol]
CrystalPistol Offline
Over the Hill

Today, we decided to take a nice drive. I stopped at a BP station and filled up, letting pump run on low until it clicked off. I don't pack it. Then we drove on up Rt 11, turned onto Rt 340 North up to I-64 near Waynesboro, drove a short ways on I-64 east to the top of Afton Mtn., then we drove the Skyline Drive (I have a permanent NPS Senior Park Pass, otherwise it would have been $30 at the gate ) up to Rt 33 (limit there is 35, I ran mostly 30-40 in drive, OD was off). On Rt 33 down to Elkton, then 340 south to 11 and on the way home, stopped and gassed again at same pump, letting pump run slow to fill. It cut off at 5.61 gallons, I had covered 173 miles, that computes out to 30.8 MPGs. On Rt 11 & 340 & 33, I kept it between 50-55 mph. I did go up Afton Mtn. on I-64 at 65-ish mph. And, I ran the Skyline in drive, not OD, at 30-40. We made two stops, one at Loft Mtn. on the Skyline Dr. for restroom & break & some trinkets (yeah, I spent that $30 saved and then some) and then again at El Puerto's for supper.

173 miles on 5.61 gallons = 30.837 MPGs.

Edited by CrystalPistol (09/22/19 09:17 PM)

WTH?

facepalm I signed it ...

#4031672 - 09/23/19 07:33 AM Re: Why we love our Merc [Re: CrystalPistol]
GrumpMarky Offline

I ♥ big cars!
Poobah

Loc: Lake County snow belt
Nice! Thanks for sharing.

Maintenance Log

Currently: 2003 Grand Marquis LSE, 1969 Marquis convertible

#4084744 - 11/17/20 08:06 PM Re: Why we love our Merc [Re: CrystalPistol]
CrystalPistol Offline
Over the Hill

Took her out for another local ride today. Took a picture up at TSC in the parking lot, getting cooler & darker earlier now.

Then we visited Wright's Drive In (family owned since 1952) in Staunton on Rt 11, I had a Rueben & a corn dog, with mustard. "Wife Unit" really enjoyed her Home Made Potato Soup, she said it was great.

Edited by CrystalPistol (11/17/20 08:09 PM)

WTH?

facepalm I signed it ...

#4084746 - 11/17/20 08:15 PM Re: Why we love our Merc [Re: hot__box]
CrystalPistol Offline
Over the Hill

Well, photobucket was a bust. I have the pics, but I don't have them loaded to this new host.

WTH?

facepalm I signed it ...

#4084750 - 11/17/20 08:21 PM Re: Why we love our Merc [Re: CrystalPistol]
a_d_a_m Offline

3 Orange Whips
Metroplectic

Loc: Cleveland, OH
Car looks great. Makes me miss my '02 MGM GS.

'91 LTD Country Squire (POTM Mar. '19) | '03 Marauder (POTM Nov. '10, Jul. '20) | 2010 P7B (POTM Feb. '21)
formerly: '02 MGM, '04 MGM, '04 MGM v2.0, '04 MM, '07 P71 (POTM Feb. '18), '04 CVLX (POTM Jun. '19 and the best car ever), '03 SAP P71

#4084766 - 11/17/20 09:01 PM Re: Why we love our Merc [Re: CrystalPistol]
Old_Guy_Stu Online   drunk

Over the Hill

Staunton? We were just there. Bro lives outside Churchville (look for the house with all the gray cats running around). Beautiful country down there. Why the hell do I live in Ohio?

1988 CVLX Formal Roof (Love Boat) POTM July 2019 & Aug 2020, 55K
E-code lights w/ relays, LEDs w/ switchbacks, 15x8 Ansen slots w/ 255/60 BFG's, Kenwood stereo, various hacks.
1988 CVLX (Destroyer) 1998-2001 driven to death 202K
1988 Squire (Chris Craft) 1996-1998 junkyard rescue driven to death 199K

#4084768 - 11/17/20 09:03 PM Re: Why we love our Merc [Re: Old_Guy_Stu]
bluejay_32 Offline
Poobah

Loc: wny
Wife unit? Sounds like an appliance. laugh

I can't find one of those. violin

Edited by bluejay_32 (11/17/20 09:04 PM)

Originally Posted By JeffBoudah
That's about as savage as buttered white bread.

#4084770 - 11/17/20 09:05 PM Re: Why we love our Merc [Re: Old_Guy_Stu]
a_d_a_m Offline

3 Orange Whips
Metroplectic

Originally Posted By Old_Guy_Stu
Why the hell do I live in Ohio?
Every time I'm down in VA/NC/KY/TN, I wonder the same thing. Man, that's beautiful country down there.

'91 LTD Country Squire (POTM Mar. '19) | '03 Marauder (POTM Nov. '10, Jul. '20) | 2010 P7B (POTM Feb. '21)
formerly: '02 MGM, '04 MGM, '04 MGM v2.0, '04 MM, '07 P71 (POTM Feb. '18), '04 CVLX (POTM Jun. '19 and the best car ever), '03 SAP P71

#4084772 - 11/17/20 09:08 PM Re: Why we love our Merc [Re: a_d_a_m]
bluejay_32 Offline
Poobah

Loc: wny
Originally Posted By a_d_a_m
Why the hell do I live in Ohio?
Every time I'm down in VA/NC/KY/TN, I wonder the same thing. Man, that's beautiful country down there.

I get that way when I go to Canada.

Virginia not so much. canada

I miss home. frown

Originally Posted By JeffBoudah
That's about as savage as buttered white bread.

#4084848 - 11/18/20 11:46 AM Re: Why we love our Merc [Re: bluejay_32]
CrystalPistol Offline
Over the Hill

Originally Posted By a_d_a_m
Car looks great. Makes me miss my '02 MGM GS.
Thank You Sir!

Staunton? We were just there. Bro lives outside Churchville (look for the house with all the gray cats running around). Beautiful country down there. Why the hell do I live in Ohio?
Ohio is nice, we've been through many times, even searched out and found brick paved old National Road … and "Heart of Ohio" … and Annie Oakley's resting place, and other fun trips. Churchville, used to got to old "Buckhorn Inn" often, "White Way" Resturant too …. and great "Tastee Freeze" there. "T Bone Tooters" was good too. I'm about 35-45 minutes away through Goshen & then 42 north from 24435. Drove through just last week out for a ride.

Recall the log building on 42 south of Buffalo Gap used to be a restaurant in the '80s, wife & I were there eating when a 4dr pickup pulled in and a fellow, a knock out woman in hot pants & halter, and 4 little girls got out, little ones were like stepping stairs. They came in, were from NJ, looking for a mountain top resort, he kids, my wife was amazed at how she looked even if they hadn't been her girls. I told them about the then open Holiday Inn on Afton Mountain.

We have taken trips all over the west … and south … and south west too … even some up into north east (Not NYC or even near NYC though, never NJ either) and no matter how much we liked the area, we always seemed to find we like the Shenandoah Valley. I had nothing to do with making it so swell a place to live. I started living my life in West Texas (Del Rio), love it, will make more trips back I hope too. I will always have Texas in my heart, but no plans of moving back. I absolutely love NM & Az as well, liked Utah & NV, Ca. showed me nothing but really beautiful big trees and water falls. Co. was pretty, but a mess … Wyoming was better.

Originally Posted By bluejay_32
Wife unit? Sounds like an appliance. laugh

I can't find one of those. violin
laugh No, not appliance, she is a Godsend for sure.

The term "Wife Unit" comes from 31 years as a state police trooper. My fellow troopers were referred to as "Unit 123" or other number that was their badge number on the radio always, and one answered when their own unit number was called, etc. It was used more often than names enough so that in time, one was known as "Unit 123" as well as by name or rank/name. In a close knit area, there was a third layer, "CB handles" Mine has been "Crystal Pistol" since the late 1960s when I adopted it, I kept it through my career. There are many people here who will address me as Trooper & my last name … my old badge (unit) number … or as "Crystal Pistol". Many were /are truck drivers who knew me on the CB, many are citizens who listened to scanners, some drank a lot of coffee with me over the years, some were in wrecks I handled, some got a ticket, some even were arrestees at some point.

Truth.

I know of one under arrest for DUI one night said "Trooper, you better stop that car, he's drunker then me" … he was right too. The down side was when dispatch called the trooper on his radio and before the radio was answered via walkie talkie, the drunk under arrest in the police car was able to twist around and get to the mic to say the trooper was out of the car, dispatcher went crazy worried for the trooper & sent backup. First car there found there were two under arrest by then.

Point is … "Wife Unit" is a term of affection. smile

Edited by CrystalPistol (11/18/20 12:23 PM)

WTH?

facepalm I signed it ...

Moderator:  BigMerc96 
Who's Online
5 registered (Old_Guy_Stu, 2004_p71, HDmech, 2 invisible), 90 Guests and 191 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box

Top Posters (30 Days)
bluejay_32 325
CrystalPistol 309
a_d_a_m 222
Rainbowpizza 154
DudeAbides 140
Moby_Vic 97
JeffBoudah 97
Old_Guy_Stu 81
Ponyguy 76
Bangster 58
Member Spotlight

Copyright 2000-2015 by Crownvic.net and Steve Spaulding. All Rights Reserved.
The photographs, graphics and data contained in this Web site are the properties of the contributors, or Crownvic.net and may not be used without expressed written consent.
Crownvic.net is not affiliated with the Ford motor company.

Happily consuming the fuel saved by Prius owners!