Make payments with PayPal - it's fast, free and secure! registry | CVN on Facebook | tech | news | email login Make payments with PayPal - it's fast, free and secure!

Welcome to CVN - Your Panther platform headquarters!

Custom Search

Topic Options
#403422 - 03/22/04 12:03 PM Finally!!! Decent Plug Wires!!!
Anonymous
Unregistered

I've been fighting a bad case of misfiring with my 1995 P71 for close to three years now. It started out as a fairly minor problem with acceleration, and had grown into a major problem with having trouble getting up hills. Over the past three years I have gone through four sets of spark plus wires (parts store brands and Bosch), countless spark plugs, four coil packs, an EGR valve, and one EDIS module. The problem would get a little better, but then over the course of a month or so the syptoms would come back. Lousy acceleration, bucking, back fires, etc.

A few months ago I decided I would get the best set of wires I could find and give it one more try. I went to Autozone, A-1 Parts, Pep Boys, NAPA, and a local shop. All of them carried the same POS Mexican wires that I've bought four sets of. Prices ranged from $49 to $79 for wires that were essentially the same.

The last place I went to was Advance Auto Parts (formerly Trak Auto). They had the same crappy Mexican wires, but they also had Autolite Professional Series wire sets, which I had never seen before. They are much thicker and heavier than the usual wires, and the connectors are much nicer also. The list price for a set for the 4.6L is about $166, but Advance sells them for about $65, with a lifetime warranty.

I got home and put these new wires in, and that 1995 of mine runs like a raped ape now! You would never know that car has close to 300,000 miles on it. The wires have been in for close to four months now, and there's been no reduction in performance. Finally, someone is selling some good wire sets.

Links
#403423 - 03/22/04 12:06 PM Re: Finally!!! Decent Plug Wires!!!
Booster Offline

Poobah

Loc: Research Triangle, NC
8mm or 9mm wires?

#403424 - 03/22/04 12:12 PM Re: Finally!!! Decent Plug Wires!!!
Anonymous
Unregistered

8 MM

#403425 - 03/22/04 01:49 PM Re: Finally!!! Decent Plug Wires!!!
Colonel Offline

Grand Poobah

Loc: Louisville, KY
Wouldnt something be causing the problem.. various brands of plug wires going bad that fast doesnt sound right

Quad-Cam Cop Engine, Bullet Proof Tires & Windows, Stab Proof Seats, Steel Door Beams, SuperCharger, Anti-Deer Harmonic Wheel Covers, Trunk Mounted Counterbalance System
..and many other things people told me my car is equipped with.

#403426 - 03/22/04 01:59 PM Re: Finally!!! Decent Plug Wires!!!
Brett C. Cammack Offline
Over the Hill

You might have been getting induced crossfire with the others. Maybe these are shielded better or you mixed them up better so they don't have any parallel runs of any length.

#403427 - 03/22/04 02:22 PM Re: Finally!!! Decent Plug Wires!!!
Anonymous
Unregistered

I think that all of these wires are coming from the same plant in Mexico. They just use different boxes. The boots and connectors were all identical between all of the brands, and the lettering on the cables was different, but looked alike in every other reguard.

I made sure that there was no contact between any of the wires, and used looms to maintain seperation, so I know they weren't passing voltage between each other.

#403428 - 03/22/04 10:57 PM Re: Finally!!! Decent Plug Wires!!!
Bill_S Offline

When mine failed at abt 90k, it was the plug connectors that were flashing over in the bores. The Ford Bakelite connectors were holed by the high voltage. Just for fun, put in a set from a '91 or 92 GM, with rubber plug connectors, and those have been good for a couple of years.

Problem is the high voltage from relatively wide plug gaps in that small bore. Next time, gonna try using glass tubing for the plug connector - should last forever long as some doofus doesn't break it.

#403429 - 03/23/04 02:44 AM Re: Finally!!! Decent Plug Wires!!!
Danny_Boy Offline

Over the Hill

Loc: Franklinville NY
hmmm might have to give them a try.They sound pritty good.

#403430 - 03/23/04 09:45 PM Re: Finally!!! Decent Plug Wires!!!
ULVER Offline
Over the Hill

Loc: Atlanta, Ga..
What about those pretty blue Ford wires? I guess they're intended for the Mustangs? Aren't they hi-per 8mm's? How much???

#403431 - 03/23/04 10:22 PM Re: Finally!!! Decent Plug Wires!!!
gDMJoe Offline

Poobah

Loc: Timbuk3, MI
Quote:

ULVER - What about those pretty blue Ford wires? I guess they're intended for the Mustangs? Aren't they hi-per 8mm's? How much???

The Ford Racing Performance Parts, spark plug wires for the 4.6L 2V Mustangs are 9mm ( M-12259-C462 ) and list for $98.

-click the Vic-

Who's Online
2 registered (04RauderDTR, 1 invisible), 50 Guests and 293 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Email Login
EMail Login Name
Password
 New users, sign up!
Top Posters (30 Days)
bluejay_32 218
Old_Guy_Stu 119
a_d_a_m 111
DudeAbides 95
Ponyguy 70
CrystalPistol 48
Moby_Vic 43
ClayBelt 42
Davidzq 42
Bangster 37
Member Spotlight

Copyright 2000-2015 by Crownvic.net and Steve Spaulding. All Rights Reserved.
The photographs, graphics and data contained in this Web site are the properties of the contributors, or Crownvic.net and may not be used without expressed written consent.
Crownvic.net is not affiliated with the Ford motor company.

Happily consuming the fuel saved by Prius owners!