Make payments with PayPal - it's fast, free and secure! registry | CVN on Facebook | tech | news | email login Make payments with PayPal - it's fast, free and secure!

Welcome to CVN - Your Panther platform headquarters!

Custom Search

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#4042406 - 01/06/20 09:42 PM Re: On-jackstands transmission removal [Re: Charlie_Mercury]
2004_p71 Offline

no replacement for displacement
Posting Addict

Loc: Quebec Canada
Originally Posted By Charlie_Mercury
Well 10 years later, I have a question. Attempted to pull a trans out of the you-pull-it yard yesterday. Jacks and jack stands are not allowed. No way to jack the transmission up and the trans cross-member bolt on the passenger side hits the bottom of the car and cannot be removed.

Any suggestions? Thanks

**UPDATE-someone from the GrandMarq board mentioned body mount on the car sagging is keeping the bolt from coming out. Makes a lot of sense. Normally jack the body up but I dont have that option. Seems like I am just going to have to do a mass amount of prying with a large crow-bar. Dropping it on a tire thing I read in here is super smart too. Will be doing that.

what is the year of the car ?

new best time 13.079 @ 105 1.8 60'

Links
#4042576 - 01/07/20 06:45 PM Re: On-jackstands transmission removal [Re: Charlie_Mercury]
88grandmarq Offline

4R70W rebuilder
Poobah

Loc: Indiana
Originally Posted By Charlie_Mercury
Well 10 years later, I have a question. Attempted to pull a trans out of the you-pull-it yard yesterday. Jacks and jack stands are not allowed. No way to jack the transmission up and the trans cross-member bolt on the passenger side hits the bottom of the car and cannot be removed.

Any suggestions? Thanks

**UPDATE-someone from the GrandMarq board mentioned body mount on the car sagging is keeping the bolt from coming out. Makes a lot of sense. Normally jack the body up but I dont have that option. Seems like I am just going to have to do a mass amount of prying with a large crow-bar. Dropping it on a tire thing I read in here is super smart too. Will be doing that.

The drivers side bolts is a royal pain, It comes out.. push harder. use a hammer, if needed. angle the bolt towards the rear of the car.
88 Grand Marquis LS - The original - Totaled 5/2006

I rebuild AODE/4R70W/4R75E Transmissions, check out my Facebook page for my latest project; https://www.facebook.com/Ford-transmission-repairs-Jmod-348414635312478/

#4043176 - 01/12/20 03:02 PM Re: On-jackstands transmission removal [Re: Lugnut]
Lance01 Offline

Loc: Pa
Wondering I have a 2004 crown Victoria that needs a new transmission mount. I tried taking the mount out and don't have enough clearance to get to the top bolts.

Do I need to drop the crossmember to remove the transmission mount??

#4043244 - 01/13/20 03:51 AM Re: On-jackstands transmission removal [Re: Lugnut]
TheShadow Offline

Over the Hill

Loc: SoCal High Desert
You should be able to get to the two upper outside bolts, that hold the mating flange of the mount to the tranny extension housing, from straight up from below them. At least on '02's and down. I believe they're the same with the '03+ crossmember change.

I've only pulled a couple or three '03+ trannies, but don't recall anything being different about the mount, just the crossmember-to-frame mounting.

The lower nuts are 14mm? and the flange bolts are 15mm?, IIRC. Or 15 and 16, one or the other.
Taxicab mechanic: I HATE DRIVERS!

#4043268 - 01/13/20 09:56 AM Re: On-jackstands transmission removal [Re: TheShadow]
Lance01 Offline

Originally Posted By TheShadow
You should be able to get to the two upper outside bolts, that hold the mating flange of the mount to the tranny extension housing, from straight up from below them. At least on '02's and down. I believe they're the same with the '03+ crossmember change.

I've only pulled a couple or three '03+ trannies, but don't recall anything being different about the mount, just the crossmember-to-frame mounting.

The lower nuts are 14mm? and the flange bolts are 15mm?, IIRC. Or 15 and 16, one or the other.

The problem I'm having is the crossmember is in the way. I got the two bottom bolts out and pushed up the transmission using a jack but I still don't have enough room with a breaker bar to crack the two top bolts that hold the mount to the transmission.

I can get a small ratchet on it but that does no good when I need the length of a breaker bar (I have 2 breaker bar sizes). Also even if I removed those bolts I still don't think I have enough clearance to remove the mount.

I noticed I need a left side motor mount now as well. I'm thinking if I remove the bolts holding the motor mounts, and the bottom transmission mount bolts, I will have more room to push up everything.

Every one says removing the crossmember is a pain and I'm trying to avoid this.

Edited by Lance01 (01/13/20 09:59 AM)

#4043272 - 01/13/20 11:15 AM Re: On-jackstands transmission removal [Re: Lugnut]
TheCableGuy Offline
Climber

Loc: Far Northwest AZ
My driver side motor mount is in bad shape as well, passenger side isn’t as bad but still ‘bad’. Trust me, I’m dreading this, whenever I get to it. I have searched far and wide on How-TOs and it does not look fun by any means.

I’m a classical textbook over-thinker.

#4043288 - 01/13/20 01:23 PM Re: On-jackstands transmission removal [Re: TheCableGuy]
Lance01 Offline

Originally Posted By TheCableGuy
My driver side motor mount is in bad shape as well, passenger side isn’t as bad but still ‘bad’. Trust me, I’m dreading this, whenever I get to it. I have searched far and wide on How-TOs and it does not look fun by any means.

And I'm having a problem finding the motor mounts for fleet/taxi by Motorcraft. I went on Rockauto and Anchor brand has em for 20 bucks. I'm ok with Anchor for transmission mount but Engine I prefer Motorcraft.

#4043290 - 01/13/20 02:29 PM Re: On-jackstands transmission removal [Re: Lance01]
TheCableGuy Offline
Climber

Loc: Far Northwest AZ
Originally Posted By Lance01

And I'm having a problem finding the motor mounts for fleet/taxi by Motorcraft. I went on Rockauto and Anchor brand has em for 20 bucks. I'm ok with Anchor for transmission mount but Engine I prefer Motorcraft.

Either that but I have seen some on Jeggs that are “performance quality”. I have came to the conclusion that I will nail together 1 foot in length 2x4’s to use as a platform to use the jack under the oil pan. My only, again only concern is damaging the oil pan with all of that weight on it. So I’m kinda skeptic on doing it but it’s my only option. I also have been putting it off because I just changed the oil and I’m going to have to remove the oil filter to do this so it’s going to be on the back burner for a bit, or 6-7K miles from now at least. I only have slight vibrations when sitting at the light. Slight. My Sierra motor mount was completely wasted and the vibrations were God awful. It got to the point of throwing it in Neutral at a stop light.

I’m a classical textbook over-thinker.

#4043292 - 01/13/20 04:17 PM Re: On-jackstands transmission removal [Re: TheCableGuy]
Lance01 Offline

Either that but I have seen some on Jeggs that are “performance quality”. I have came to the conclusion that I will nail together 1 foot in length 2x4’s to use as a platform to use the jack under the oil pan. My only, again only concern is damaging the oil pan with all of that weight on it. So I’m kinda skeptic on doing it but it’s my only option. I also have been putting it off because I just changed the oil and I’m going to have to remove the oil filter to do this so it’s going to be on the back burner for a bit, or 6-7K miles from now at least. I only have slight vibrations when sitting at the light. Slight. My Sierra motor mount was completely wasted and the vibrations were God awful. It got to the point of throwing it in Neutral at a stop light.

Wood under the oil pan you will be fine. Guys been doing that for years.

#4043344 - 01/13/20 07:31 PM Re: On-jackstands transmission removal [Re: Lance01]
TheShadow Offline

Over the Hill

The problem I'm having is the crossmember is in the way.

By "in the way", do you mean horizontally or vertically in the way?

I can get a small ratchet on it but that does no good when I need the length of a breaker bar (I have 2 breaker bar sizes). Also even if I removed those bolts I still don't think I have enough clearance to remove the mount.

Can you use a pry bar against the handle of the small ratchet? Maybe using the crossmember as a fulcrum?

I noticed I need a left side motor mount now as well. I'm thinking if I remove the bolts holding the motor mounts, and the bottom transmission mount bolts, I will have more room to push up everything.

Not for the back end...the main thing holding the tranny back is the tunnel top. And you'd want to leave the front mounts in place, to give you a little gain vertically at the rear, due to the angle of lift and the pivot point.

#4043428 - 01/14/20 11:23 AM Re: On-jackstands transmission removal [Re: TheShadow]
Lance01 Offline

The problem I'm having is the crossmember is in the way.

By "in the way", do you mean horizontally or vertically in the way?

Can you use a pry bar against the handle of the small ratchet? Maybe using the crossmember as a fulcrum?

Not for the back end...the main thing holding the tranny back is the tunnel top. And you'd want to leave the front mounts in place, to give you a little gain vertically at the rear, due to the angle of lift and the pivot point.

With the transmission pushed up by a jack the crossmember is in the way horizontally. The small ratchet with I believe a 16mm socket is the only thing I was able to fit. No makeshift cheater pipe was able to fit over the ratchet in that area.

On a side note I asked my buddy who has a shop and he told me like everyone else here said the crossmember is pressed fit and that crossmember needs to come out.

Before I take it to him I have one other idea. When I was doing the jmod and had the transmission oil pan off I noticed I had clean access to the transmission mount bolts. With the transmission oil pan off if I come from the valve body area with my long breaker bar I might have enough room without having to move the crossmember.

#4043432 - 01/14/20 12:55 PM Re: On-jackstands transmission removal [Re: Lugnut]
TheShadow Offline

Over the Hill

It's been a long time since I've seen or dealt with your situation close-up, sorry if I gave you any false hope on it being easier.

I can visualize some extra room with the pan off. BUT...I can also see hazards with jacking up all that weight on a sloped surface (bellhousing), and having it slip onto the valve body. If you try that, PLZ be very careful! Maybe even use a stabilizing jack under the engine pan rear?

Good luck.

#4044936 - 01/25/20 11:31 PM Re: On-jackstands transmission removal [Re: TheShadow]
Lance01 Offline

It's been a long time since I've seen or dealt with your situation close-up, sorry if I gave you any false hope on it being easier.

I can visualize some extra room with the pan off. BUT...I can also see hazards with jacking up all that weight on a sloped surface (bellhousing), and having it slip onto the valve body. If you try that, PLZ be very careful! Maybe even use a stabilizing jack under the engine pan rear?

Good luck.

Sorry to take over your thread OP.

Just wanted to chime in that I'm making progress. Removing the crossmember isn't all that bad unless you have rust issues.

I soaked all the bolts and crossmember. All the bolts came out easy and used a 36 inch goose neck pry bar to make some headway.

I didn't get the crossmember out as I had to put the car back together because I needed to buy another tool. I wasnt fully prepared as I thought. I plan to try again next week and I'm confident it will come out this time. I only need to remove one side to get access to the transmission mount bolts.

#4044942 - 01/26/20 01:38 AM Re: On-jackstands transmission removal [Re: Lance01]
TheShadow Offline

Over the Hill

LOL...Don't think OP will mind, it's been over 11 years! LOL

Just wanted to chime in that I'm making progress. Removing the crossmember isn't all that bad unless you have rust issues.

I soaked all the bolts and crossmember. All the bolts came out easy and used a 36 inch goose neck pry bar to make some headway.

Very Cool! Keep us posted...

I once knew a shadetree scientist who told me that with a long-enough lever, he could move the world. I told him to prove it, so he invented the hydrogen bomb...

#4045024 - 01/27/20 12:31 PM Re: On-jackstands transmission removal [Re: TheShadow]
Lance01 Offline

LOL...Don't think OP will mind, it's been over 11 years! LOL

Very Cool! Keep us posted...

I once knew a shadetree scientist who told me that with a long-enough lever, he could move the world. I told him to prove it, so he invented the hydrogen bomb...

Didn't realize this thread was that old... lol

One other update, I'm using 6 ton jack stands and I feel safe but out of curiosity after reading some of 88grandmarq post I looked at the 12 ton jack stands at Harbor freight and other places and those things are beastly!! If I ever remove a transmission from a Panther I'm definitely getting the 12 ton jack stands.

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Who's Online
3 registered (webestang, CrownBen, andyfanshawe), 81 Guests and 263 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Email Login
EMail Login Name
Password
 New users, sign up!
Top Posters (30 Days)
bluejay_32 194
Old_Guy_Stu 104
BigMerc96 89
a_d_a_m 76
Ponyguy 63
Moby_Vic 63
2008interceptor 47
Bangster 45
124neta 44
2004_p71 40
Member Spotlight

Copyright 2000-2015 by Crownvic.net and Steve Spaulding. All Rights Reserved.
The photographs, graphics and data contained in this Web site are the properties of the contributors, or Crownvic.net and may not be used without expressed written consent.
Crownvic.net is not affiliated with the Ford motor company.

Happily consuming the fuel saved by Prius owners!