Make payments with PayPal - it's fast, free and secure! registry | CVN on Facebook | tech | news | email login Make payments with PayPal - it's fast, free and secure!

Welcome to CVN - Your Panther platform headquarters!

Custom Search

Page 19 of 102 < 1 2 17 18 19 20 21 101 102 >
Topic Options
#4043808 - 01/17/20 04:53 PM Re: Jerry's Crown Victorias [Re: av8or1]
av8or1 Offline

Over the Hill

Loc: TX
Ok thank you Stu, that is approximately what I was thinking you were suggesting. And of course I wouldn't actually use Elmer's nor do I think you thought I was thinking that. rofl

I'll think about the suggestion, thanks!

I can TIG, yes, but I have seen as much warpage from TIG'ing as I have from MIG, so I don't really see much of an advantage. I'll likely go with FCAW and yes of course it'll have to be done via tack welds. This is why I am attempting to go to the extreme of cutting all of the LTC's roof save the lip: to reduce the amount of required weld, however you choose to go about doing that weld.

Anyway thank you again.
Jerry

Edited by av8or1 (01/17/20 06:38 PM)
1985 Mazda RX7 GSL-SE
1970 Plymouth Road Runner A383 pistol grip tick-tock buckets

#4043810 - 01/17/20 05:01 PM Re: Jerry's Crown Victorias [Re: av8or1]
av8or1 Offline

Over the Hill

Engine update: I spoke with the machine shop this afternoon. The pressure test came back positive, meaning that both cylinder heads are in good shape. No cracks. He said that there was no warpage either, but I could use with a decking. Supposedly it was at the edge of the tolerance. I thought he was trying to sell me something, but given the price and what they include if you "do any machining work", I decided to go with it. So in the end the cost will be approximately $350 plus the crankshaft polishing. Discount for cash, so I don't know what the final total will be, we'll see.

He did mention that there was a fair amount of carbon buildup. The source of that buildup will not be clear or readily determined. I do plan on replacing the EGR and piston rings, so that will eliminate two sources. I'm also having him replace the stem seals while he's there. I inquired as to the condition of the guides and the valves themselves. He told me that they were in good shape and that they did not warrant replacement. So just a basic rebuild plus a decking. And a polishing.

Hopefully I can pick everything up next week. TBD.

Thanks,
Jerry

Edited by av8or1 (01/17/20 06:42 PM)
1985 Mazda RX7 GSL-SE

#4043812 - 01/17/20 05:58 PM Re: Jerry's Crown Victorias [Re: av8or1]
BigMerc96 Offline

I know nothing
Posting Addict

Loc: I can see Detroit from here!
I agree with Stu about gluing the 2 roof sections together. Panel bond adhesive is no joke, if applied properly that stuff would outlast the car and no one would be any the wiser.

Most moonroof assemblies have a bit of adjustment in where the glass attaches to the frame/track or where the track mounts to the tray that's attached to the roof. Or both. In the case of my Town Car's roof, the bottom of the glass panel has the 4 tabs on it that secure it to the track, those mounting holes are slotted allowing for ~1/8" of adjustment vertically relative to the roof. I adjusted mine twice, once because one side sat higher than the other, so I raised the low side because that seemed to make it look more level front/back. However, I discovered that on the freeway it would actually suck the glass up enough to cause an annoying whistle when it was closed, so I went back and adjusted the rear edge down ever so slightly. Its not perfectly even to the roof front to back, but its close enough that no one would ever notice unless it was pointed out, and it cured the whistle at freeway speeds. It had never been adjusted before, so it probably left the factory with one side of the glass sitting higher than the other.

2006 Audi A6 ~132k miles, stock.
1998 Mercury Grand Marquis LS HPP ~100k miles, slowly acquiring modifications.
1997 Town Car Cartier ~145k miles, Ported Plenum, Gutted Airbox, Contour E-fan Retrofit, Dual exhaust with Magnaflows, cats deleted, MSD Ignition, KYB Gas-A-Justs, P71 front bar, air ride reinstated, Projector retrofit, Caddy 4-note horn retrofit, Wood rim steering wheel retrofit, holistic weight reduction as the parts fall off..
1996 Mercury Grand Marquis GS 117,485mi. R.I.P. 7/14/12 frown

#4043846 - 01/17/20 10:22 PM Re: Jerry's Crown Victorias [Re: av8or1]
av8or1 Offline

Over the Hill

Stu and BigMerc-

Thank y'all for the feedback, I appreciate it much.

After thinking about it for a bit, I decided to proceed with my original plan of removing as much of the LTC's roof as possible, cutting the same sized hole in the roof of Ol' Blue, then welding the two seams together. Although the gluing approach would work, I wasn't a fan of the possibility of moisture getting in between those panels and rusting things out, nor of the "slightly sunken" moonroof. And Stu was correct, it would have been a diff that only an anal person like me would recognize, but ... and finally I wasn't keen on the idea of gluing the edge of the existing roof to the edge of the LTC's roof lip. I won't even mention that the purist engineer in me didn't like the fact that it wasn't the "right" way of doing things, as Stu mentioned.
rofl

So with that (and with the continued rain we're seeing), I headed to the outbuilding tonight to see where I could get with it. I counted the number of spot welds and the number was higher than I wanted to deal with, given that I would need to "deal with" them twice. Once upon tear down and then again on re-mating the two panels. Then there would be the problem of the now-cutoff roof being so small (basically just the lip) that it would present a challenge to during the re-mating phase, if you will.

For these reasons I elected to grab the small, air powered cutoff wheel. The idea was to test the waters a bit to see how difficult it would be to cut the roof without doing the same to the underlying frame. In places those two respective entities were immediately adjacent to each other. Ergo, there was no gap between them. Thus precision cutting would be crucial the success of the "operation" as it were.

Edited by av8or1 (01/17/20 10:25 PM)
1985 Mazda RX7 GSL-SE

#4043852 - 01/17/20 10:31 PM Re: Jerry's Crown Victorias [Re: av8or1]
av8or1 Offline

Over the Hill

In order to establish a reference line on which to make the cut, I pulled my aluminum, flexible, long ruler down off of the tool board and laid down that line. I wasn't attempting to mirror the line of the moonroof's lip edge, as there was no need for that. Merely a straight line that was close to the lip and that could be but welded against was all I was after:

The approach I decided to take to cut so close to the lip and with the need of avoiding the frame underneath was to first etch along the reference line across the panel, then restart at the original end with the goal of cutting through the roof. The idea being that I then wouldn't need to concentrate on both direction and penetration. Rather, I could focus on just one thing at a time. I also decided to peel the panel up as I went along in order to monitor the "previous burn through" point:

That worked out well because I could easily identify any not-quite-cut-all-the-way-through areas and revisit them for a quick polishing-off:

Edited by av8or1 (01/17/20 10:41 PM)
1985 Mazda RX7 GSL-SE

#4043856 - 01/17/20 10:38 PM Re: Jerry's Crown Victorias [Re: av8or1]
av8or1 Offline

Over the Hill

Although time and patience were also critical with this work due to the precision involved, it wasn't long before the first side was complete:

In the end I achieved what I was aiming for, a removal of the LTC's roof almost to the very lip of the moonroof opening:

Although I would like to radius the corners prior to installation in Ol' Blue and do a little more touching up of the panel in order to attempt to prevent rust, overall tonight's work was a success:

I dunno fellas, it wasn't that bad really in retrospect. Not to sound overconfident, which I don't want to do by any means. But I dunno ... it just wasn't as difficult as I imagined. I suppose I made too much out of it, made it too complex, which I tend to do.
rofl

I digress. Cleanup work of the panel aside, that's that. Depending on what kind of weather we get, it's on to the next thing for us.

Thank you for reading,
Jerry
1985 Mazda RX7 GSL-SE

#4043858 - 01/17/20 10:48 PM Re: Jerry's Crown Victorias [Re: av8or1]
bluejay_32 Offline
Poobah

Loc: wny
Originally Posted By av8or1
In order to establish a reference line on which to make the cut, I pulled my aluminum, flexible, long ruler down off of the tool board and laid down that line. I wasn't attempting to mirror the line of the moonroof's lip edge, as there was no need for that. Merely a straight line that was close to the lip and that could be but welded against was all I was after:

The approach I decided to take to cut so close to the lip and with the need of avoiding the frame underneath was to first etch along the reference line across the panel, then restart at the original end with the goal of cutting through the roof. The idea being that I then wouldn't need to concentrate on both direction and penetration. Rather, I could focus on just one thing at a time. I also decided to peel the panel up as I went along in order to monitor the "previous burn through" point:

That worked out well because I could easily identify any not-quite-cut-all-the-way-through areas and revisit them for a quick polishing-off:

I think I prefer the way you're doing it to what Stu and BigMerc said. Looking at the way the metal's shaped inside the hole for the sunroof I have a hard time believing that you'd get the metal formed right so that the sunroof sits right and doesn't make noise or leak. I couldn't picture what the inside of a sunroof hole looked like before, but the fit inside the hole would be my biggest worry. The welding will be tedious, but I think that scares me less.

It's times like this I wish Sh0rtlife was still posting on here. He was doing a lot of that kind of metalwork on that cruiser he was building and I'd like to hear his opinion.

Damn VerticalScope.

Originally Posted By Rob Gordon
NOW GET YOUR PATCHOULI STINK - OUTTA MY STORE! MOVE IT, LARD-ASS!

#4043860 - 01/17/20 10:50 PM Re: Jerry's Crown Victorias [Re: bluejay_32]
bluejay_32 Offline
Poobah

#4043866 - 01/17/20 11:04 PM Re: Jerry's Crown Victorias [Re: av8or1]
av8or1 Offline

Over the Hill

Interesting thread. What happened?
1985 Mazda RX7 GSL-SE

#4043868 - 01/17/20 11:16 PM Re: Jerry's Crown Victorias [Re: av8or1]
bluejay_32 Offline
Poobah

I think he stopped coming here because of the VerticalScope [censored].

#4043870 - 01/17/20 11:23 PM Re: Jerry's Crown Victorias [Re: bluejay_32]
bluejay_32 Offline
Poobah

He made the bumpers out of door panels and flush with the bodywork instead of sticking out like they do. He stitched them together with a MIG. It was a very impressive build, but I can't even imagine what he was charging for all that. I wanted to see the finished result. Probably could have won POTM for life.

#4043928 - 01/18/20 12:44 PM Re: Jerry's Crown Victorias [Re: av8or1]
av8or1 Offline

Over the Hill

Changing gears just a bit ... for the 3+ years that I can remember owning the 5-O, I've gone back-n-forth regarding the notion of installing a center console. Sometimes I felt that I preferred the open space; our son sure as heck enjoys it whenever he is unfastened from his seat in the back. laugh He bolts forward and just *has* to go out the same door as Daddy. That's kinda cool now that I think about it, but I digress.

Then other times I seem to favor the notion of functionality, thinking that a console would help with cup holding duties, etc.

No clear winner has emerged from such indecision in all that time however.
rofl
1985 Mazda RX7 GSL-SE

#4043930 - 01/18/20 12:48 PM Re: Jerry's Crown Victorias [Re: av8or1]
av8or1 Offline

Over the Hill

Until recently. After reading the reviews of fellow CVNers and general ones online associated with the product listing, I decided to purchase my own Rampage center console:

As advertised, it fits snugly in between the seats:

So I can see why the CVNers who have one run with it just as is and don't use the supplied bracketry to hold it in place. That bracket is squared off, so it wouldn't be an ideal fit anyway (or at least it doesn't seem like it would). I may play around with it when I finish Ol' Blue, but for now the snug fit is enough to meet my needs.

So Rampage center console, welcome to your new home! And chalk one more thumbs up for the product. While not the ruggedest thing I've ever laid hands on, it'll suffice in this context.

Thank you for reading,
Jerry

Edited by av8or1 (01/18/20 12:48 PM)
1985 Mazda RX7 GSL-SE

#4043986 - 01/18/20 09:47 PM Re: Jerry's Crown Victorias [Re: av8or1]
av8or1 Offline

Over the Hill

With a break in the weather today, I decided to finish off the painting of the interior of Ol' Blue. I had 4 cans of Gloss Navy Blue that needed using, so now was no time to let them down. I didn't bother with doing anything but a cleaning of the trunk and the roof; no primer, no sealer, no scuffing, just lay it down over a cleaned-up surface. As mentioned previously, I'm not seeking the best paint job, just coverage in an effort to stem the stank of Juan, which I have achieved, despite the interior door panels remaining installed. 'Need to get those out, maybe tomorrow.

Anyway, it didn't take much to cover the roof:

So with the remaining can-and-a-half I hit the trunk:

An effort that darkened up the result, but only by a bit, which I expected.

Tomorrow is forecast to be dry, albeit cold. In the 50s reportedly, which for TEXAS is indeed quite chilly. And of course with that being the high, it'll be colder than that in the morning, sigh. I mention that because I plan on returning to the yard that I visited only briefly last weekend. The 5-O could use a bezel surround and there are a few other parts I'd like to get a hold of, so if I can sneak out in the morning, I'll see what I can do in regard to securing those critters.

Anyway thanks,
Jerry

Edited by av8or1 (01/18/20 10:00 PM)
1985 Mazda RX7 GSL-SE

#4043996 - 01/18/20 10:19 PM Re: Jerry's Crown Victorias [Re: av8or1]
BigMerc96 Offline

I know nothing
Posting Addict

Loc: I can see Detroit from here!
I kinda want to do the '98+ Town Car 40/20/40 split bench. It solves the issue of not having much if any interior storage, but its still a bench seat, not that I've ever had 3 people up front. I think that's one thing I'm going to seek out this year for my GMQ, the seats are pretty well shot anyway despite the leather not looking too bad. Previous owner must have been....heavy.

2006 Audi A6 ~132k miles, stock.
1998 Mercury Grand Marquis LS HPP ~100k miles, slowly acquiring modifications.
1997 Town Car Cartier ~145k miles, Ported Plenum, Gutted Airbox, Contour E-fan Retrofit, Dual exhaust with Magnaflows, cats deleted, MSD Ignition, KYB Gas-A-Justs, P71 front bar, air ride reinstated, Projector retrofit, Caddy 4-note horn retrofit, Wood rim steering wheel retrofit, holistic weight reduction as the parts fall off..
1996 Mercury Grand Marquis GS 117,485mi. R.I.P. 7/14/12 frown

Page 19 of 102 < 1 2 17 18 19 20 21 101 102 >

Moderator:  BigMerc96 
Who's Online
1 registered (Becker34), 58 Guests and 93 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box

Top Posters (30 Days)
bluejay_32 109
Moby_Vic 77
JeffBoudah 75
Old_Guy_Stu 71
Armada Master 54
DudeAbides 51
a_d_a_m 48
Dmblanch 46
Ponyguy 43
SocalSam 38
Member Spotlight

Copyright 2000-2015 by Crownvic.net and Steve Spaulding. All Rights Reserved.
The photographs, graphics and data contained in this Web site are the properties of the contributors, or Crownvic.net and may not be used without expressed written consent.
Crownvic.net is not affiliated with the Ford motor company.

Happily consuming the fuel saved by Prius owners!